Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA looking at LSU coach Will Wade's recruiting tactics

Started by jbcarol, February 26, 2018, 06:15:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Pat Forde‏Verified account @YahooForde

New from @PeteThamel: NCAA looking at LSU coach Will Wade's recruiting tactics, sources tell Yahoo Sports

QuoteNCAA's scrutiny of Wade began not long after his hire at LSU in March, but the inquiry has stalled because of a lack of on-the-record specifics about Wade's recruiting, according to a source. The NCAA's information gathering has covered part of his time as head coach at VCU, according to a source. Wade's early recruiting activity at LSU prompted the NCAA enforcement interest, according to a source.

The NCAA's interest appears to be in its exploratory and information-gathering stages, according to sources.

"After talking to my staff we have had no contact from the NCAA regarding any irregularities," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva told Yahoo Sports on Sunday.

Wade is in his first year coaching at LSU, where he has cast a national recruiting net and had a spree of success landing blue-chip recruits out of Connecticut and Florida shortly after getting hired in Baton Rouge. LSU's 2018 class is No. 3 in the country in the Rivals.com rankings, behind Duke and Oregon and ahead of Kansas and Kentucky. That class includes top prospect pledges from New Jersey, Florida and Louisiana.

Matt Jones
‏ @KySportsRadio
11h11 hours ago

That Will Wade article by @YahooForde is really a bunch of nothing...."NCAA looking into Wade but finding nothing so far"....is that really an article?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

LSU basketball coach Will Wade responds to NCAA investigation reports

Quote"Obviously I'm aware of the Yahoo Sports story last night, but the facts are there's been zero inquiries," Wade said in the opening statement of his press conference Monday. "There's been zero contact by the NCAA to me, my staff, our administration, our players or our school. There's been zero contact. I'm not going to expand on that much further. I'll just say I'm proud to represent LSU and we're going to work very hard to bring a top-tier basketball program to our state and our school."

Yahoo Sports published a report Sunday night that said the NCAA was looking into Wade's recruiting tactics. Though the article also said the NCAA had no concrete evidence of any wrongdoing and the investigation had stalled, the report spawned speculation and national interest in LSU's program.

Earlier Monday, the LSU athletic department released a statement affirming Wade's words.

"LSU has confirmed with NCAA officials that there is no active investigation into the men's basketball program," the statement read. "LSU Athletics stands for full compliance and partnership with the NCAA and the SEC."

Wade isn't just letting the allegations roll.

"Obviously you're disappointed," Wade said. "But it's the way of the world these days..."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net