Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 24, 2017, 09:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

How much are guys like Benintendi helping us right now?
SCREW Vandy!

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 02:03:15 pm
How much are guys like Benintendi helping us right now?

Benintendi and Keuchal both.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 14, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
Blake Wiggins goes in the 20th round to the Reds

Did he ever play in a game for us?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Hogs49ers

Bryce Bonnin just went number 795 to the Cubs (26th rd).
SCREW Vandy!

PintailKiller

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/6/26/4463258/MLB-draft-slotting-bonus-pools-penalties

Been a lot of questions about the draft and slotting bonuses.  This is a pretty good article to explain the process and the penalties.  Note - this was from 2013.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

PintailKiller

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/04/high-mlb-draft-picks-sign-for-1000-apiece.html

And here is an article about college Seniors signing for cheap so the club could save money for other picks.  This is from 2012.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 02:24:18 pm

That's about where McKinney went, if I recall. We still got him.

Didn't Bonfield also get drafted by the Mets (every. time.) in the 26th when he was a HS senior?
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 02:24:18 pm
So according to Baseball America Bryce Bonnin was the highest rated prospect either committed to the Hogs or draft eligible as a Hog player.  And he falls to 795.  I assume that means Bonnin let the teams know he planned to go to school all along?

This stuff is 1000X more interesting than national signing day for football.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 02:29:51 pm

Didn't Bonfield also get drafted by the Mets (every. time.) in the 26th when he was a HS senior?
21st round for Bonfield in 2014. 625 overall

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 14, 2017, 02:30:39 pm
So according to Baseball America Bryce Bonnin was the highest rated prospect either committed to the Hogs or draft eligible as a Hog player.  And he falls to 795.  I assume that means Bonnin let the teams know he planned to go to school all along?

Yes, I would assume he has told teams that he plans to play for the Razorbacks.
SCREW Vandy!

gutshot

Opitz to Cleveland in the 27th round

Hogs49ers

Optiz just went number 822 (27th rd.)
SCREW Vandy!

Pig Papi

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 02:29:51 pm

I'm a huge Mets fan and was torn when Mets drafted Bonfield out of high school.  Bonfield was a Mets fan and the Mets saved some money to throw at him.  He ended up coming to school.  I really hope things work out for him.

jry04

FYI, Blake Lillis signed in the 25th round for $127k. I know a lot goes into what they are offered, but I cannot imagine them getting drafted this late and signing. I think it is more of a shot in the dark for the teams, plus building a relationship with the prospect. Faedo went real late in the 2014 draft to the Tigers, and then the Tigers took him in the 1st round 3 years later. This is probably a similar situation unless both are content for signing under $200k (which I cannot imagine being the case considering they fell this far.)

Also, the 2nd smallest draft pool, and the Cubs have 2 first round picks with only $7million in their bonus pool.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 14, 2017, 01:59:10 pm
I hope Bonfield (and Shaddy) come back for being an Arkansas fan sake, but it seems like their $$ wouldn't change much by coming back for another year.

Mike Bolsinger was drafted in the 33rd round in 2009, came back for senior year and improved to the 15th round.  Not sure what he signed for, tho.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 02:40:45 pm
I'm a huge Mets fan and was torn when Mets drafted Bonfield out of high school.  Bonfield was a Mets fan and the Mets saved some money to throw at him.  He ended up coming to school.  I really hope things work out for him.

Same here. Have been conflicted multiple times. Nimmo, Bonfield, Fulmer, and wasn't McKinney drafted by the Mets as well?

gutshot

Blaine Knight to the Rangers in the 29th

Hogs49ers

Blaine Knight just went number 884 (29th rd.) to the Texas Rangers.
SCREW Vandy!

dotnet

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 14, 2017, 02:30:39 pm

Thats because this isn't comparable.  Signing day for baseball was seven months ago.  This is the NFL draft, if the NFL could decide to draft the entire Alabama roster or the one five star that you were lucky enough to sign. 

LRHawg

Razorback Nation
4 mins ·
Blaine Knight has been drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 29th round pick 884. His asking price was high and he is coming back to school.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 02:44:05 pm
FYI, Blake Lillis signed in the 25th round for $127k.

That was weird. 

Pig Papi

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 02:57:07 pm
Same here. Have been conflicted multiple times. Nimmo, Bonfield, Fulmer, and wasn't McKinney drafted by the Mets as well?

Yes McKinney was originally drafted by the Mets as was AR signee Teddy Stankeiwicz.  I always wished he would have made it because of the awesome name.

The_Iceman

Bonfield as a senior may be more enticing to some MLB teams. The may draft him in the top 10 rounds and sign him under slot value to give them more money for others.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 14, 2017, 03:14:40 pm
Bonfield as a senior may be more enticing to some MLB teams. The may draft him in the top 10 rounds and sign him under slot value to give them more money for others.
I thought he may be a guy that could sign below slow this year as a top 10 guy. Him and Shaddy both are not great pro prospects, but I thought someone would take a chance on Bonfield. He may just end up  being a great college player, but nothing more. I sure would love to have him as our DH next year, with Lee/Cole/Fletcher/Turney as our options in the field.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 03:17:29 pm
He may just end up  being a great college player

While he was the three hole hitter for a top tenish offense in college baseball, a great college player he was not.  But I think everyone knows he better than he showed this past year. 

If he comes back, I wouldn't be surprised for him to win SEC POY as a 4th year starter in the league. 

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 03:27:18 pm
While he was the three hole hitter for a top tenish offense in college baseball, a great college player he was not.  But I think everyone knows he better than he showed this past year. 

If he comes back, I wouldn't be surprised for him to win SEC POY as a 4th year starter in the league. 
I am saying if he doesn't get drafted, returns, and never makes it to the MLB. I am not saying he is a great player now, but could end up being a great player after it is all said and done, at least at the plate. I think if he returns he will have a huge year.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: LRHawg on June 14, 2017, 03:03:36 pm
Razorback Nation
4 mins ·
Blaine Knight has been drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 29th round pick 884. His asking price was high and he is coming back to school.

Bingo. The scouts said the same about Blaine as most here knew. He simply needs another year of prep and 10 more pounds

TNhawgfan

So did bonfield hurt his pro prospects by coming to college?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bosshog84

Knight has announced he is returning. If Bonnin, Rutledge, Turney, etc make it to campus and Bonfield & Shaddy return what do you guys think we will be ranked preseason?

jry04

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 14, 2017, 03:33:45 pm
I would say so. One of the few who did under DVH. It didn't help that he broke his ankle. He lost a lot of mobility, and a lot of time before his freshman season. DVH has said he never fully returned to form. He was a top 60 HS recruit, top 200 MLB prospect, but priced himself too high and went 21st. I remember at the time of the 2014 draft, Bonfield was ranked in the top 10 high school bats in the draft by mlb.com. Baseball America listed him as a top 5 player who didn't sign in that draft.

The Perfect Game scouting report says he "runs well." Now he looks as awkward as can be running, with very little speed.

JonClaudeVanHam

If he does not return then it would appear that way. If he does return and has an outstanding senior year and shoots up the draft boards, then no.

JonClaudeVanHam

If Bonfield can learn to play a corner infield spot and show some range then maybe, just maybe, he becomes a nice prospect.

jry04

Quote from: bosshog84 on June 14, 2017, 03:36:45 pm
Knight has announced he is returning. If Bonnin, Rutledge, Turney, etc make it to campus and Bonfield & Shaddy return what do you guys think we will be ranked preseason?
Top 10. We will possibly have the best 1-2 punch in the SEC. Then you throw in the bullpen arms we have in Reindl, Cronin, Kopps, Murphy, and Lee. McKinney has a shot to be back. We have Bonnin, Rutledge, Milligan, Krull, and Heiss as top 500 prospects on the mound, too.

Our lineup will only be losing 2 of our 9 hitters. Turney/Lee can replace Arledge, and you have to imagine Fletcher makes a huge jump. Koch will have relief behind the plate, so he should be able to put together a complete season. We will possibly have a more dangerous lineup, with an elite pitching staff.
Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 03:39:05 pm
If Bonfield can learn to play a corner infield spot and show some range then maybe, just maybe, he becomes a nice prospect.
I was thinking 1st base may be a position he should learn.

Kevin

I was wondering the same thing. can bonfield learn how to play first base?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Max Hogan taken in the 32nd round by the Orioles. Good for him.

bosshog84

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 03:39:05 pm

Wouldn't that be great!? It would up his stock plus give an opportunity for a player like Turney to DH.

Pig Papi

Sadly, yes.

I cannot find what amount he turned down but adjectives like "hefty", "significant", and "large" were in articles I found to describe the offer.  If you want some Hogville nostalgia read through some of this thread.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=568991.100

UCA goes to great lengths to update the Mets/Bonfield situation.  It is a very interesting looking back at the names we thought were must gets or difference makers.

Even if Bonfield comes back and has a great year, I still believe he gets less than what he would have gotten coming out of high school.  Whether coming to AR was worth it is up to him to decide.

jry04

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 03:55:08 pm
Sadly, yes.

I cannot find what amount he turned down but adjectives like "hefty", "significant", and "large" were in articles I found to describe the offer.  If you want some Hogville nostalgia read through some of this thread.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=568991.100

UCA goes to great lengths to update the Mets/Bonfield situation.  It is very interesting looking back at the names we thought we must gets or difference makers.

Even if Bonfield comes back and has a great year, I still believe he gets less than what he would have gotten coming out of high school.  Whether coming to AR was worth it is up to him to decide.
I agree, definitely gets less this/next year than he was going to get out of HS.

In good news, I saw Bonnin told a fan that he will be coming to Arkansas and not going to the MLB. That was just a few minutes ago.

colbs

Bonfield tweeted-One More year 🐗

So looks like he will be back!

Hogs49ers

I am getting way too excited for being 30 years old...
SCREW Vandy!

Pig Papi

Quote from: colbs on June 14, 2017, 04:02:04 pm
Bonfield tweeted-One More year 🐗

So looks like he will be back!

I want all the best for our signees but as a Hog fan I would trade Knight for Tillo and Bonfield for Smith all day when it comes to next season. 

Hogs49ers

Cole Turney just went number 1032 to Cleveland.
SCREW Vandy!

jry04

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 04:05:17 pm
I am getting way too excited for being 30 years old...
Same here...Sitting at work watching every pick of a 40 round draft.

Cole Turney taken by Cleveland in the 34th round. Likely doesn't signs. Cleveland does not have a huge bonus pool and took 4 HS kids, and only 1 Sr in their first 10 rounds. They also took Opitz in the 27th round. Not a lot of money for them to play with if I had to guess.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 04:06:59 pm
Same here...Sitting at work watching every pick of a 40 round draft.

Cole Turney taken by Cleveland in the 34th round. Likely signs. Cleveland does not have a huge bonus pool and took 4 HS kids, and only 1 Sr in their first 10 rounds. They also took Opitz in the 27th round. Not a lot of money for them to play with if I had to guess.

You mean "likely doesn't sign."

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 04:06:13 pm
I want all the best for our signees but as a Hog fan I would trade Knight for Tillo and Bonfield for Smith all day when it comes to next season.

No way. That's two All-SEC players for unknowns.

Pig Papi

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:09:34 pm
No way. That's two All-SEC players for unknowns.

You read my statement backwards (or maybe I wrote it backwards).  For 2018....

Knight and Bonfield > Tillo and Smith

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 04:10:38 pm
You read my statement backwards (or maybe I wrote it backwards).  For 2018....

Knight and Bonfield > Tillo and Smith

Ah, my mistake. Sorry.

TebowHater

June 14, 2017, 04:14:00 pm #299 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:27:35 pm by TebowHater
This could be one of the best teams we have ever had. 2009 would be the only year comparable - McCann, Keuchel, Smyly, Bolsinger, Cox, Eibner, Wilkins, Kuhn. That year we finished T-3rd...could be fun!!

Regardless, this class sets such a great foundation for next few years.