Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody else gonna be thrilled

Started by Bohawg, December 15, 2007, 04:46:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohawg

Anybody else gonna be thrilled when Ervin's eligibilty is over?  How a 5th yr senior can continue to make such poor decisions is beyond me.  Either he dribbles into traffic & loses the ball or he drives too deep and loses it.   Pel's new pt guards will be a definite upgrade.

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: Bohawg on December 15, 2007, 04:46:02 pm
Anybody else gonna be thrilled when Ervin's eligibilty is over?  How a 5th yr senior can continue to make such poor decisions is beyond me.  Either he dribbles into traffic & loses the ball or he drives too deep and loses it.   Pel's new pt guards will be a definite upgrade.

Just shows you how bad Dontell was when he was here cause Ervin was an upgrade over him

pignatious

Stan Heath had no idea how to recruit a true point guard. Jefferson and Ervin? Wow.
Freedom is never free.

pigfeet

Quote from: pignatious on December 15, 2007, 05:47:10 pm
Stan Heath had no idea how to recruit a true point guard. Jefferson and Ervin? Wow.

Ain't that the dang truth

hillhog

Oh, I thought Ervin was a freshman and these were just "freshman" mistakes. Ha

SexyBeast77

I thought Sonny sucked the big one today. I was like take him out the last few minutes. He threw up a wild Jordan Fade Away shot then bricked again. I'd rather have Washington in over Weems nowadays.

Snoop Hoggy Hog

I just got home form the game and I was going to post the same thing. I won't go to anymore games this year because I can't stand to watch him play. What is he like 25 or something and still plays like a freshman.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on December 15, 2007, 04:49:30 pm
Just shows you how bad Dontell was when he was here cause Ervin was an upgrade over him
No, he wasn't.  Dontell was fine, he just was limited in certain regards...basically not a scorer, just a distributor.  Anyone who didn't like Dontell because they thought he should do more obviously doesn't know as much about basketball as they would like to think. 

Lets see, if I'm Dontell Jefferson, I am thinking, I have Ronnie Brewer and Jonathan Modica on my wings, not to mention Charles Thomas and Darian Townes on the low block, and people hate me because I don't score?  Not to mention, I am the best perimeter defender on that team because Modica couldn't guard a chair, and Ronnie got killed if he didn't steal it.  There was a reason that Dontell always guarded the best perimeter player on the other team.

Ervin is completly out of control all the time.  He is a cure ya or kill ya type!  His speed is his greatest asset and his greatest downfall.

hillhog

Like dmac4sainthood said Ervins feet moves faster than his brain. Dribbles into a jam with no idea where he can go with the ball if he can't shoot it.  I want a point guard that can make good decisions, make others look good, play tough defense, look to dish out assists before looking to score unless in the lead  on a break-a-way.

mword

I hope he doesn't have his hopes up on getting into the NBA.

jry04

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 15, 2007, 10:03:37 pm
No, he wasn't.  Dontell was fine, he just was limited in certain regards...basically not a scorer, just a distributor.  Anyone who didn't like Dontell because they thought he should do more obviously doesn't know as much about basketball as they would like to think. 

Lets see, if I'm Dontell Jefferson, I am thinking, I have Ronnie Brewer and Jonathan Modica on my wings, not to mention Charles Thomas and Darian Townes on the low block, and people hate me because I don't score?  Not to mention, I am the best perimeter defender on that team because Modica couldn't guard a chair, and Ronnie got killed if he didn't steal it.  There was a reason that Dontell always guarded the best perimeter player on the other team.

Ervin is completly out of control all the time.  He is a cure ya or kill ya type!  His speed is his greatest asset and his greatest downfall.
You question people's knowledge about basketball but you bash a guy that had triple the amount of assists than he did turnovers in SEC play last year. He turned the ball over 3 times against OU. Before the OU game he was averaging at like 1.9 turnovers a game. Ervin isn't even the biggest liability on the team. Hill is a liability on offense, Weems and Thomas turn the ball over more than Ervin. I just find it ridiculous how much our fan base mouths Ervin when he has scored double digits 6 of our 10 games and has been our leading scorer in 3 of them while having games where he has had 0 or 1 turnover. At one point this season he had like 3 turnovers in 4 games combined.

rude1

Miss. State must be laughing their azz off. We now know why there was no attempt on their part to keep this guy from leaving. I hold my breath every time he touches the basketball, just waiting for the inevitable turnover.

Hoggy1

Quote from: hillhog on December 15, 2007, 09:16:37 pm
Oh, I thought Ervin was a freshman and these were just "freshman" mistakes. Ha

he was a freshman like 7 years ago, i think u mean junior.  Ha
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

lr52879

Remember last year when Heath worked with Ervin over the Christmas break?  They watched a lot of film and Heath helped refine his decision making.  Then he played lights out (or at least much better) for the next 4 games before going back to crap.  Pelphrey should make one of the assistants do that before every game.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on December 17, 2007, 07:35:49 pm
You question people's knowledge about basketball but you bash a guy that had triple the amount of assists than he did turnovers in SEC play last year. He turned the ball over 3 times against OU. Before the OU game he was averaging at like 1.9 turnovers a game. Ervin isn't even the biggest liability on the team. Hill is a liability on offense, Weems and Thomas turn the ball over more than Ervin. I just find it ridiculous how much our fan base mouths Ervin when he has scored double digits 6 of our 10 games and has been our leading scorer in 3 of them while having games where he has had 0 or 1 turnover. At one point this season he had like 3 turnovers in 4 games combined.

He is not a PG!!! He cannnot dribble!! Have you seen him bring the ball up the court, he dribbles above his freaking waist!!! Sure he has been scoring, but that is not his role.  A PG should 1 -take care of the ball    2 Set the offense/defense    3 distribute the ball    4 score
Ervin is not good at any of these things, he is a pretty good on the ball defender, which is also important in a PG.  I just think he does not have it between the ears to run a team

jry04

Quote from: razrhog05 on December 18, 2007, 11:48:03 am
He is not a PG!!! He cannnot dribble!! Have you seen him bring the ball up the court, he dribbles above his freaking waist!!! Sure he has been scoring, but that is not his role.  A PG should 1 -take care of the ball    2 Set the offense/defense    3 distribute the ball    4 score
Ervin is not good at any of these things, he is a pretty good on the ball defender, which is also important in a PG.  I just think he does not have it between the ears to run a team
Let me know when Ervin is the one making the lineup. Last time I checked, Pelphrey is the one that plays him at point, not Ervin. Ervin dribbles well enough to keep his turnovers to a minimum for the most part, and we have played 2 of the better pressing teams we will face all year. You can't cry about Ervin not being a good point guard and wish he would leave because he is playing point. It isn't his fault he is at the point. I am sure he would gladly play the 2, but he handles it better than Beverley and Welsh. Welsh carries the ball everytime he puts it on the floor. Half the time it isn't called, but he has been warned in a few games about it.

To the person that says MSU must be laughing. The first game he played MSU last year he only played like 19 minutes. He didn't shoot much so he didn't score, but he had 5 assists to 1 turnover.

The next game he had 20 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds in a 9 point win over MSU. In the game in the SEC tournament we beat MSU by 9 against and Gary had 15 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds, and only 2 turnovers. Gary got to play in the NCAA tournament and MSU didn't. It is looking like it could be the same way this year too. I think Gary will have the last laugh when it is all said and done.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on December 18, 2007, 02:16:58 pm
Let me know when Ervin is the one making the lineup. Last time I checked, Pelphrey is the one that plays him at point, not Ervin. Ervin dribbles well enough to keep his turnovers to a minimum for the most part, and we have played 2 of the better pressing teams we will face all year. You can't cry about Ervin not being a good point guard and wish he would leave because he is playing point. It isn't his fault he is at the point. I am sure he would gladly play the 2, but he handles it better than Beverley and Welsh. Welsh carries the ball everytime he puts it on the floor. Half the time it isn't called, but he has been warned in a few games about it.

To the person that says MSU must be laughing. The first game he played MSU last year he only played like 19 minutes. He didn't shoot much so he didn't score, but he had 5 assists to 1 turnover.

The next game he had 20 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds in a 9 point win over MSU. In the game in the SEC tournament we beat MSU by 9 against and Gary had 15 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds, and only 2 turnovers. Gary got to play in the NCAA tournament and MSU didn't. It is looking like it could be the same way this year too. I think Gary will have the last laugh when it is all said and done.

Pel also does not have him starting at the point, he is coming off the bench.  It is the only position that he has played, and I dont think its because he is best ball handler on the team.  Im not blaming Pel at all, Im saying we never should have given a scholly to a PG that cannot dribble.  He is OK off the dribble drive, unless we are playing agianst a zone, then he never kicks out once it collapses, and has his weak jumper gets rejected.  The problem is that Welsh and Bev are both 2 gaurds, they are not natural PG's.  I think Welsh has done remarkably well running the point, remember he is only a soph and was recruited as a 2 guard.  While he still is a lil turn over prone I am at least not terrified when he is driibbling down the floor. 
As for the stats you listed they tell the story, Ervin is a PG that looks to score first, that should not be his MO. 

PeytonManningSUCKS

December 18, 2007, 04:28:51 pm #17 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:36:56 pm by RanSolo
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on December 17, 2007, 07:35:49 pm
agreed.  Ervin gets a bad rap cause the mistakes he makes are VERY frustrating to watch.  But he gives us alot of quality minutes and much needed scoring.

We'd be worse off without him this year.

afielde11

i've almost come to accept the turnovers that ervin brings with him but he does do some good things. probably the most frustrating thing about him is the times he goes inside and leaves his feet with nothing to do with the ball and ends up pump faking about 6 times on one shot. i don't think at this point that pelphrey can do much to change him

wstill3

are all of you forgetting the sec tourney last year that got us to the ncaa.  Ervin put the team on his back and carried us over vandy and msu.  also, if you look at the stats this year, our big men and weems are accounting for nearly all of our turnovers while our guards, including ervin, are handling the ball very well.  what a short memory you have................

Breems

It's possibly, maybe, could be, expected for the big men to turn it over, sure.  But Ervin should know better, he's our PG.  PG's should be trusted with the ball the whole game.  He shouldn't be up in the top ranks in TO's.  That's why you don't compare big men turnovers to pg turnovers.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

firemanhogfan

he isn't the only one i will be glad is gone!  please God give us another Lee Mayberry.

ConwayHog

Quote from: pignatious on December 15, 2007, 05:47:10 pm

Been saying it for a long time.  One day someone will listen up there.

ConwayHog

Quote from: RanSolo on December 18, 2007, 04:28:51 pm
agreed.  Ervin gets a bad rap cause the mistakes he makes are VERY frustrating to watch.  But he gives us alot of quality minutes and much needed scoring.

We'd be worse off without him this year.

He's not the worst thing to come along but he's not a pure SEC point guard, or at least a quality.  His decision making is lacking.  He just happens to fit in on a team of knuckleheads that have went virtually unchecked the last few years.