Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really difficult to stay interested

Started by Hootiethehog, December 01, 2015, 04:07:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootiethehog

Last night's RAW (11-30-15) may have been one of the lowest points since I started watching wrestling again a few years ago.

Granted, Cena, Rollins, Bryan, Orton and Cesaro are all out with injuries, but surely they could come up with something better than that shlockfest we were given last night. I don't hate the idea of a new heel stable, I think they rushed it and it was not thought out in the least.

When the Reigns-Sheamus match was at the midway point of the show, I knew something tricky was going to happen. We are supposed to be on the road to wrestlemania yet they're just now starting half-hearted feuds. It seems like there is no direction whatsoever for anyone in the company that isn't Reigns.

I've been telling myself I was going to take a break from it all for a while and hope the ship rights itself and last night's episode may have been the tipping point for me. Seriously, what is the hook to keep viewers watching right now?
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

TheRazorback500

League of Nations? Really?  ::)

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

TomasPistola

I've stopped watching completely. I'll occasionally turn on a PPV or something, but I don't watch it at all anymore.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Eddie Goodson

Watched it all. Will watch it next week too. There's always Monday night football for you guys.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

hogsanity

I only watch when my son is interested. He dropped out of watching in Aug of 2014, then picked it up again last Feb, through WM. Then has been in and out. Would dvr raw and watch it in about 30 mins. He has not watched the last 3 at all, and did not even watch the last ppv. The problem right now is so many of the "names" are out. The best guy on the mic imo, Bray Wyatt, is being booked horribly. Reigns is just not that interesting. Sheamus as champ is doing nothing. No interesting story lines. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

I'll skim through the rundown on BleacherReport and watch the youtube clips. That's the extent of my watching. I'm just hoping someone emerges that I can get excited about following. Its just not happening.

Eddie Goodson

I'm telling you guys, you are going to have to take the same approach to watching wrestling as I have now taken to watching football. It will let you enjoy both again.
My self rules are simple.
1. Stop arm chair QBing and second guessing everything the coach/booker does. I don't know the whole story and anybody can book or call plays in hindsight.
2. Enjoy the positives. Stop dwelling on all the negatives.
3. Quit thinking you know more than everybody in the business. Works in both football and wrestling.

Those three rules have changed everything for me. Smartmarks are the most miserable people in the world. I have never, ever seen the majority of people who read the dirt sheets happy with anything that goes on in wrestling and I have followed them and the wrestling messageboards since the internet began being used on a wide scale. Everyone always thinks they are smarter than the guys making the decisions.

Stop living in 15 to 20 years ago. Those days are gone and not coming back, however the actual in ring wrestling, is better than it has ever been. The wrestlers today have more athletic ability than any time in history.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

who knows

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2015, 03:41:00 pm

Stop living in 15 to 20 years ago. Those days are gone and not coming back, however the actual in ring wrestling, is better than it has ever been. The wrestlers today have more athletic ability than any time in history.

I do agree with you that the actual wrestling is much better...IE. all the other sports as well...but I'm sorry the wrestling only keeps me interested to a point...for example...

I'd much rather watch a sub par wrestling match with a amazing story line...than watch a top notch match with guys who have absolutely no direction in the company...and right now we are being force fed these good matches with terrible story...
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: who knows on December 02, 2015, 04:05:28 pm
I do agree with you that the actual wrestling is much better...IE. all the other sports as well...but I'm sorry the wrestling only keeps me interested to a point...for example...

I'd much rather watch a sub par wrestling match with a amazing story line...than watch a top notch match with guys who have absolutely no direction in the company...and right now we are being force fed these good matches with terrible story...
And I say who cares about a huge story line. Give me Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler in a match and I am good. Give me Luke Harper against just about anybody. Give me Dean Ambrose and Reigns against anybody the authority throws at them and I am good.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2015, 04:20:29 pm
And I say who cares about a huge story line. Give me Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler in a match and I am good. Give me Luke Harper against just about anybody. Give me Dean Ambrose and Reigns against anybody the authority throws at them and I am good.

You just hit on the problem. They don't give those guys enough time to put on a good match. It's a cluster frick of everyone's highspots and a couple of false finishes. If they let them build a match and a story line I'd be watching every week. There is more wrestling talent in the diva's division than ever before and they get no time either. It's frustrating.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

who knows

So you watch wrestling for the sport value? Not the entertainment value?

Don't get me wrong I like a good match...and those guys you mentioned are great wrestlers and athletes...but it gets old seeing Kofi out there every week doing the same exact match...or it feels like I'm watching the same exact matches...

who knows

How many matches anymore actually end after just 1 finisher? It used to be really rare for someone to kick out of a finisher...now it happens 3 or 4 times a match...especially the big matches...

hogsanity

Here is the thing though, I am 45, while I grew up watching wrestling, the old wccw out of Dallas ever Sat at 10pm, Mid-South on Saturday mornings/early afternoon, and wcw on tbs on Sat late afternoons, and WWF(wwe) whenever we started getting that on some channel right as Hulk Hogan was starting with them, I am not going to watch now unless my kid is watching, and he is not going to watch if the story is bad. He is 12, these guys are still bigger than life heroes and villains to him. While he might on some level appreciate their athleticism, he is watching to see the age old good vs evil play out.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are phenomenal athletes, and the dangers they face from injury are far to real to act like it is all phony, it is still entertainment, and the story is a large part of creating that entertainment.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2015, 08:09:54 am
Here is the thing though, I am 45, while I grew up watching wrestling, the old wccw out of Dallas ever Sat at 10pm, Mid-South on Saturday mornings/early afternoon, and wcw on tbs on Sat late afternoons, and WWF(wwe) whenever we started getting that on some channel right as Hulk Hogan was starting with them, I am not going to watch now unless my kid is watching, and he is not going to watch if the story is bad. He is 12, these guys are still bigger than life heroes and villains to him. While he might on some level appreciate their athleticism, he is watching to see the age old good vs evil play out.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are phenomenal athletes, and the dangers they face from injury are far to real to act like it is all phony, it is still entertainment, and the story is a large part of creating that entertainment.
I grew up watching those same Mid South episodes and the on air wrestling was HORRIBLE. You almost never got to see main eventers vs each other. Is was always the same list of jobbers facing the big name guys in squash match after squash match. The quality of wrestling was terrible.

hogsanity

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 03, 2015, 10:13:07 am
I grew up watching those same Mid South episodes and the on air wrestling was HORRIBLE. You almost never got to see main eventers vs each other. Is was always the same list of jobbers facing the big name guys in squash match after squash match. The quality of wrestling was terrible.

Looking back on it from what I remember, I will agree, but for those of us who did not have opportunity to go to live events, it is all we had. Yea, you knew when Skandar came out against some scrawny dude you had never heard of, he was going to easily win, then make some comments about whoever he was really feuding with, but that would be the end of it for tv.

I am huge baseball fan, but I know most people watch baseball for the homeruns, they could not care less if the all glove no bat SS lays down a textbook bunt to advance a runner in the 4th inning. Same for wrestling, while you appreciate the technical aspect, and I can appreciate the athleticism, most are just watching to be entertained, and for them a big part of that is the story. 

The_Iceman

So little of WWE is about the actual match. Its about the entrances, the music, the celebrations, the story lines, and the story they tell in the ring.

My favorite move back in the day was the Scott Hall abdominal stretch. I mean, does grabbing the rope actually help at all? Who cares, it was funny that the ref always caught him the third time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2ydfqr65A

Hootiethehog

I am sort of a mix between liking the big spot matches (I love Neville) a.d the big storylines (huge fan of the Wyatt family) and comedy (The New Day).

The problem is that the WWE usually sticks to one thing and lately that is just the big spot matches. Make me care a out the guys in the ring is what I'm asking for. Seeing two guys that are in a feud face off against each other several times in a month leading up to a pay per view cheapens the experience. And to hit on what someone else said earlier, save the finishers for an actual finish. Seeing everyone kick out of a finisher makes it no more special than a bodyslam. Think Daniel Bryan, only one person has ever kicked out of his running knee and that was a great storytelling match with reigns.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

riccoar

I'm too busy spending money on spilt liquor to worry about some punks on RAW

Hollywood_HOGan45

I agree. Raw has been so blah here lately especially after Rollins got injured.

You know its bad when the biggest pops are for part timers (Taker and Lesnar).

Everything seems very thrown together. Not nearly as bad as late Nitros but almost.

Hootiethehog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 08, 2015, 01:32:53 pm
I agree. Raw has been so blah here lately especially after Rollins got injured.

You know its bad when the biggest pops are for part timers (Taker and Lesnar).

Everything seems very thrown together. Not nearly as bad as late Nitros but almost.

I was trying to think of what this reminded me of and you nailed it. Nitro before WCW went under. He'll, I fell asleep during the main event.

Eddie Goodson

Outstanding TLC Sunday and Raw last night. The reemergence of Vince was fun to see.

Racinray

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 15, 2015, 03:50:46 pm
Outstanding TLC Sunday and Raw last night. The reemergence of Vince was fun to see.
He is starting to show his age.

who knows

It was nice to see Vince on tv...although anyone over the age of 12 knows it's just a ploy to boost ratings...hence the championship change over...but other than the ECW match...it wasnt that great...

Eddie Goodson

Ambrose/Ziggler was PPV quality. The overall show was pretty good. Reigns and Sheamus have beaten the crap out of each other the last two days. Easily the finest moment either has had in a long time. The beating of HHH was epic. If Reigns can win the Philly crowd, he can win any crowd. Extremely glad he succeeded. It took beating HHH and punching Vince to do it, but it worked. Letting Steph slap the taste out of his mouth a dozen times helped as well.

who knows

Every Ziggler match is PPV quality...if only they could develope a storyline for this guy...

Richard_white

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 15, 2015, 03:50:46 pm

Indeed

Hootiethehog

While I didn't get to see the ppv, I watched highlights and kept up with the play by play. That combined with an excellent RAW made me quite happy.