Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raccoons as Pets?

Started by ARoutdoorsman, May 27, 2014, 03:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ARoutdoorsman

Had two baby coons wander into my Lab's pin yesterday. Labs killed one of them and I got the other one out before they got it. Best I can figure he is about 5 to 6 weeks old. He was a little mean at first, but I had him crawling all over me and licking by the end of the day. Does anyone have any knowledge about raising a coon or any stories about having one as a pet.

King TUSKankahamun

Be careful, every pet coon story I've ever heard ends with the thing going wild and the conclusion that no matter how friendly they are to you they are still a wild critter
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

Wayne Watson

They can be carries of rabies and distemper.  Just be careful.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Dad had one back as Kid in the 1950's
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

I worked with a guy that had one as a pet when he was in college. He said he took it with him everywhere. They're cute but.............. I know that an adult coon can take down a lab.

Grizzlyfan

Just don't let them near your chickens, according to the post above.

Pistol Pete

No coons for pets... they will eat your rectum completely up!

I have no experience with the rectum part, but my neighbor had some when I was young. They get more wild with age, I promise.

pigture perfect

I had a pet raccoon on 2 occasions. One was just too old to tame down when I got him. The second one took so much time to keep him tame that I just turned him loose. He would come around often for food, but it was totally up to him if I could pet him or not. Sometimes I could other times I couldn't. I had raised him from a bottle.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CPO Hog

A friend had one several years ago. For over a year he kept him in a large kennel cage in his laundry room when he was at work, and would let him out to play in the evenings. He escaped one day and totally destroyed the kitchen. This coon went el'loco. Must have got a taste of tobasco. He tried to catch him, but the coon nearly ate him necked. He finally caught him in a fish net and released him to the wild. That coon terrorized him for a week. His dogs moved down the street to the neighbors house. His screen door was torn to shreads and he chased him off the porch a couple time. He finally had enough and shot him.

DeltaBoy

As you can see with Pet coons it is a YMMV thing.  Dad's was so small that they put it with the momma Cat and she nursed it.  Dad said one day when they let him out  of his coop he ate and went into the woods and never came back. 
Dad had him for a total of 4 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

1highhog

My wife's uncle in Rockport had one, had him for years until he finally died of natural causes he guessed.  He raised him from the time he was 7 days old, he was a male.  He would sleep in his lap in his recliner, and stayed in his lap most of the time when he was at home, just like some pet dog or cat.  The thing loved peanuts, so he kept some by his recliner all the time, and my wife said he did this for two reasons, one was just for treats, the other was when he had some guy or guys come over, they could rub and play with that coon and it just loved the attention, but, her uncle loved to throw those peanuts down so they would roll under one of the guys chair or something, always the guy would reach down to scoot it out so the coon could get it, bad idea, she said that coon would be all over your arm before you knew what happened, thinking you was stealing its peanut.  Her uncle, a very big man, would get such a kick out of that.

Ragnar Hogbrok

If by "pet" you mean keeping it caged until fat enough to eat, yes.  Just don't name it.  Things get awkward when you can reference what you're eating by name.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

DeltaBoy

Keeping one for a pet is a crap shoot at best.