Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any fellow tyers? The pattern thread...

Started by Albert Einswine, July 16, 2013, 09:29:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Here's one I just concocted I have high hopes for.  It's basicly just my tweaked version of Kelly Galloup's Barely Legal articulated streamer which is normally tied with 2 size 4 streamer hooks and a metal Fish Skull head.  I tied it as a standard pattern on a size 2 Mustad streamer hook and replaced the Fish Skull with ice dubbing.

The recipe... Top, Wapsi Golden Brown Maribou
                  Bottom, Wapsi White Maribou
                  Body, Estaz Pearl White chenille
                  Eyes, Orvis medium crystal dumbbell eyes, silver
                  Head, Orvis Hare's Ice Dub, Rust

Just add water and it gets really fishy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

This is a trout magnet.

Standard Wooly Bugger pattern... Size 4 streamer hook
                                             Dark olive maribou
                                             Orvis dark olive sparkle chenille
                                             Whiting yellow grizzly hackle
                                             6/0 red thread

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hogfly

That galloup inspired streamer is real nice. I'll tie again some day, but having two young kids and no dedicated place to set up my vice put a serious dent in my tying.

Albert Einswine

Yeah, I know what you mean, I got precious little tying done when mine were young as well.

Hogfly

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 16, 2013, 06:41:11 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean, I got precious little tying done when mine were young as well.

Can't leave the stuff out so it's 20 minutes dragging everything out, tie, then 20 minutes to put it all away.  Pre kids, I had a desk in the living room where I tied all evening while the wife watched TV or read.

Albert Einswine

Galloup style pattern of a rainbow trout fry...

Recipe: Size 4 Mustad streamer hook
           Top, Hareline Dubbin, Inc. Dark Olive maribou
           Bottom, Orvis white maribou
           Body, Estaz Salmon #15
           Gill plate, 2 wraps of Red Senyo Laser Dub
           Head, Hareline Dubbin, Inc. Ice Dub Pheasant Tail
           Eyes, Orvis medium crystal dumbbell, gold

philobeddoe

I don't tie flies, but I do tie jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.  I'll try to remember to post some pics tomorrow when I get back to my personal computer.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: philobeddoe on July 17, 2013, 10:06:55 pm
I don't tie flies, but I do tie jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.  I'll try to remember to post some pics tomorrow when I get back to my personal computer.

Bring it on!

Albert Einswine

Just trying different colors...  Top and tail: Wapsi Ginger Maribou
                                        Bottom: Wapsi Cream Maribou
                                        A few strands of Lite-Brite Peacock in the tail
                                        Body: Estaz Glisten Gloss chenille, Opal Olive
                                        Head: Fish Skull, copper
                                        Hook: #2 streamer, Mustad

micali

How expensive is it to get started? I want to tie my own stuff.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: micali on July 23, 2013, 04:25:50 pm
How expensive is it to get started? I want to tie my own stuff.

I guess it all depends on what your definition of expensive is. A vise can run you anywhere from $75 to $700, I recommend anyone starting to buy a decent but cheap vise.  I have two, an old Regal I bought back in the '80s which is a forever unit (my great, great, great grandchildren will be tying with it if they so choose) and I just bought a cheap rotary Danvise by Danica out of Denmark that I really like a lot, and at $85 it was hard to go wrong. I'd definitely recommend it to the beginner for its affordability.

You can spend as much money as you want to on materials and hooks, depending on what you want to tie.  Hooks have really increased in price over the years. Packs of 25 run in the $6 range.

The tools aren't just terribly outrageous, but by the time you've bought a couple of bobbins (I have 5), a good pair of scissors, a pair of shears, whip finisher, hackle pliers, bobbin threader, thread, head cement, etc... you can drop $400 easily.

But I tie because I like to catch fish on my own creations.  The thing about having the tools and materials is you can create and experiment and the materials never go bad, I still tie with stuff I've had laying around since '87.

It's just something I enjoy doing.  I carry the bulk of my materials/equipment in a travel case every time I go on a fishing trip so that I can always tie something up in the hotel room after I get in off the water.

Albert Einswine

Couple of new ones here for me. Never tied stimulator patterns before and these are my 1st couple of attempts.

Albert Einswine

Couple more.

PonderinHog

Good stuff, Al.  Everything's better when wet.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2014, 08:30:27 am
Good stuff, Al.  Everything's better when wet.

Tru dat! I'm trying to stock my boxes for the summer assault. Need it to warm up in the worst way.