Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all you Quantum Baitcaster fans

Started by philobeddoe, November 27, 2008, 10:59:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ConwayHog

Are there any left?

And seriously...what is the deal with every reel manufacturer making their reels look like a Shimano?

I own all Shimanos...but probably the only other reel I'd give a chance is an Abu Garcia, perhaps some of the Team Daiwa's.  Those things used to be really good.

Just about every Quantum I ever owned was pretty much the smoothest real in the cabinet and pure junk in a year or two.  There have been some exceptions. 

spit

you 2 should try Pfleuger.  The supreme or Trion are good models for just a little over $100.  I have several of them and also have a Curado that i bought all around the same time 4 years ago.  None of them have given me any problems, and I would recommend that pfleuger just as easily as the shimano curado.  Its easily as good a reel for any given situation that the curado would be used, performance, price, and wear/tear.

ConwayHog

Quote from: spit on November 29, 2008, 11:27:48 pm
you 2 should try Pfleuger.  The supreme or Trion are good models for just a little over $100.  I have several of them and also have a Curado that i bought all around the same time 4 years ago.  None of them have given me any problems, and I would recommend that pfleuger just as easily as the shimano curado.  Its easily as good a reel for any given situation that the curado would be used, performance, price, and wear/tear.

My father has a Pfleuger.  He doesn't use it much but it hasn't given him any trouble.  You're going to be hardpressed to get me off Shimano.  I've only had trouble with one and I'm pretty sure the line pawl just needs replacing.  I'm not hard on my reels in the sense that they always lay on the deck/rod box and are either placed inside a closet or in the boat.  But I'll be honest...I don't service my reels.  There was a period were they weren't very heavily used.  I'm planning on taking several in this winter.  I've had several Shimanos that have been working for years.  Considering the number that I own, I'm very pleased.  The last half of this year has been a great time to buy Shimano's with them changing models.

philobeddoe

I've heard good things about Pfleuger reels as well.  I went to Shimano several years ago.  I decided on Shimano because they were the only reel that would hold up more than a year without showing any mechanical wear.  I have only had problems with one Shimano out of the 20 or so that I've owned in my life, and I think it was just a lemon.  That particular reel is a Curado CU100 that still works OK, but sounds and feels horrible when casting and reeling.

spit

yeah i agree shimanos are good, atleast the cu200, as that's the only model i've used.. never had a problem, but i've never had a problem with my pfleugers either and they have a little smoother feel to me - both casting and cranking smooth as silk feel like they're brand new and not even spooled with line yet.  i aint saying they're better.. but if you ever want to try something different get one and you'll be surprised.  Heck, the next time you want to buy a new shimano, buy a pfleuger trion instead, i'm telling ya man you won't be let down.  takes just a little getting used to b/c it spools a little more "free" than the CU200's i've used. 

next time your in the tackle store, hold one and release the spool and give it just a flip with your thumb -- it spins on and on and on and on and on forever.  amazing well crafted and well oiled piece of equipment.

philobeddoe

Quote from: spit on November 30, 2008, 01:41:06 am
next time your in the tackle store, hold one and release the spool and give it just a flip with your thumb -- it spins on and on and on and on and on forever.  amazing well crafted and well oiled piece of equipment.

I try to do that everytime I'm in a store that has reels out on display.  The problem is that when my wife spots me doing it..........well...........you know.  ;)

spit

Quote from: philobeddoe on November 30, 2008, 08:18:45 am
I try to do that everytime I'm in a store that has reels out on display.  The problem is that when my wife spots me doing it..........well...........you know.  ;)

yep i do.  sigh.  we can wish.