Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban's Secret Recruiting Recipe

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 04, 2016, 07:58:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This is almost 2 years old and it is a lengthy read, but a good read nonetheless, that details the qualifications that Saban looks for in players on both sides of the ball. I think we are seeing a lot more of this from Bielema and our staff though they may put more emphasis on the character of an individual player than most programs. Still, this is a very interesting article.

The Tide's success begins with Saban and his staff's ability to identify prospects who will make the most of their talent. It is all part of his famously secretive "process" that begins with the development of a player-type model—which establishes the ideal physical traits for particular positions, all the way down to desirable height/weight ranges.

Without a doubt, physical elements are an integral part in Saban's player evaluation process. 

"He (Saban) would take an athlete with size before a natural 5'8" corner," said Kevin Jackson, a former Tide All-American safety and defensive coordinator at Dothan (Ala.) High School. "If a kid fits their profile, Saban is confident he can teach that bigger athlete to do the things they want him to do in their defense.''

This manuscript is a form that lists selected attributes Saban and his staff use to evaluate athletes at each position. Exactly what is on that form remains cloaked in secrecy. But through conversations with key figures close to the program and extensive empirical research, B/R has uncovered insights into the measurables that make up Saban's ideal prospect at each position.

A LOT MORE inside the article including specific attributes by position.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1649924-nick-sabans-secret-recruiting-recipe
Go Hogs Go!

Uncommon

A natural 5'8" corner?!  What Power 5 is recruiting 5'8" corners these days?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Uncommon on March 04, 2016, 08:35:15 am
A natural 5'8" corner?!  What Power 5 is recruiting 5'8" corners these days?

Good question, but that is why Alabama tends to like CB's closer to 6'0".
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Who would have thought it ??? Sounds very much like the process used by our own recruiting staff. Now let's just start seeing similar on the field results.

LSUFan

Bull, the recipe is 3 cups of $, 4 tbls of $, a dash of $, stuff it in a bag and have the bag man deliver it.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 04, 2016, 10:39:18 am
Who would have thought it ??? Sounds very much like the process used by our own recruiting staff. Now let's just start seeing similar on the field results.

With the difference perhaps being, they throw out a lot more offers up front without apparently going through all of the due diligence of that of our staff.
Go Hogs Go!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on March 04, 2016, 11:55:33 am
Bull, the recipe is 3 cups of $, 4 tbls of $, a dash of $, stuff it in a bag and have the bag man deliver it.

Is that what he used in corndog country?
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Poker_hog

What a load of crap.  When is the last time saban developed a diamond in the rough type?  Saban's genius is getting the top talent to sign with bama.  His evaluation of talent is no better than any other coach or even the recruiting services. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 04, 2016, 10:39:18 am

It is apparently very similar, which was the point of this thread. Further down in the article:

Size and speed are at the top of Saban's wish list. Playing in the rugged SEC makes these attributes coveted as a package instead of individually.

Saban also searches for the ability to quickly change direction and move in explosive bursts at every position.

"I've heard him (Saban) say it a thousand times...ankle, knee and hip flexibility is extremely important because football is a stop-and-start game," Cignetti said.

Winning character, fortitude to respond to instruction from an extraordinarily demanding coaching staff and the football smarts necessary to understand the Tide's complex schemes weigh heavily on Saban's mind during the recruiting process. 

Similar to most NFL rookie minicamps, the Alabama program is a hub for development of mental toughness. It's an aspect that separates Saban and his program from the pack in college football, and a big part of the reason why the Tide have had 14 first-round draft picks since 2009.

Does that sound fairly similar to what we are seeing built at Arkansas? And if you read down in the article just below this last quote above, it begins to sound even more similar. For those of you who don't like reading, there are a few pictures and graphics. ;) 
Go Hogs Go!

HardCore

I thought it was to BS a bunch of young, impressionable kids into dreams of NFL grandeur by coming to Alabama, when he really justs wants them sitting on his bench rather than competing against them - thus, destroying many of their potential futures as a resulting effect.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

RME

Quote from: HardCore on March 07, 2016, 11:16:10 am
I thought it was to BS a bunch of young, impressionable kids into dreams of NFL grandeur by coming to Alabama, when he really justs wants them sitting on his bench rather than competing against them - thus, destroying many of their potential futures as a resulting effect.

I mean...44 Alabama players drafted from 2010-2015. That's a little over 7 per draft, or 1 player from Alabama per round for the last 6 years. That's not a bad pitch to recruits...

Rather than competing against them? So if/when Bielema hits a level of recruiting where he can consistently bring in Top 10 classes, you don't want him hoarding talent? You'd rather him just let guys go somewhere else and compete against them later? Not I.

Sign the best players you can at the positions you need, and make them battle it out. Do you not think that Alabama's depth is one reason they have such success?

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2016, 06:11:57 am
Does that sound fairly similar to what we are seeing built at Arkansas? And if you read down in the article just below this last quote above, it begins to sound even more similar. For those of you who don't like reading, there are a few pictures and graphics. ;) 

So, re: the huge difference between Arkansas and Bama in number of offers...

Are we just that much more selective than Bama, or are they doing their evaluations much faster than us?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on March 07, 2016, 11:56:47 am
So, re: the huge difference between Arkansas and Bama in number of offers...

Are we just that much more selective than Bama, or are they doing their evaluations much faster than us?

You would have to ask Nick. 205-348-3600
Go Hogs Go!