Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 QB to take an official visit

Started by ricepig, March 02, 2016, 05:13:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdlc

Quote from: factchecker on March 03, 2016, 11:34:52 am
Who freaks out over a walk-on?

Can you name all of our current walk-ons?  I'm sure you can name a couple, especially the ones who have made an impact (Kevin Richardson) but there are plenty more who are merely scout team practice players. 

Does anyone  know the name of the walk-on quarterback who joined the team in 2014? 

Troy Allison from McGregor, Texas.  What was his connection to the staff?!?  Why did he join the team?!?

They recently moved Troy to wide receiver.  Maybe this walk-on will take his place as scout team quarterback.  Regardless, whats the harm.  Worst case scenario, the kid never rises above being a scout team player and he transfers.  Best case scenario, he becomes some ESPN story of the year who leads us to 4 National Titles.  The realistic scenario, he will simply be on the roster .  He should at least help boost our GPA, seeing that the kid is IVY league material.

What I figure is that some are taking this as a sign that a quarterback is going to transfer.   Whether or not this kid joins the team will have little impact on someone leaving the program.  He's not gonna be fighting for the starting position anytime soon.  If someone transfers it will be because they want a shot to start now.  We have 4 quarterbacks who will fight for position. Cole Kelley will also provide some competition in the coming years but he will be redshirted.  SOMEONE is going to transfer regardless of how many WALKONS you bring.

We have some geniuses on here who want to shut down the walk-on program altogether.  There was a whole thread about it after the walkon weekend before NSD.

War Boar

From watching his tape, he has great size and does a good enough job of ball placement.  I like the fact that when he needed to he went through his progressions. I think it's a win, but I'm far from an expert. The extra competition definitely can't hurt.

Woo pig!  :razorback:

trphog

You take this kid all day long as a walk-on. From his tape he doesn't have an overly strong arm but his mechanics and anticipation are awesome. Obviously he's got it between the ears as well. It's a no lose situation for us to bring him in.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

texas tush hog

March 04, 2016, 08:30:44 am #54 Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:57:59 am by texas tush hog
Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 03, 2016, 01:08:22 pm
do you have any info to suggest any QB on our roster or that will be soon is a Prima Donna or are you just bashing for the sake of bashing?

Not bashing, just the nature of the beast among high school all-americans, sooner or later, one or two gets tired of sitting. Zack Clark, Robert Reed, Tavarius Jackson, or Mike Cherry for examples. Austin Allen, Rafe Peavey, Ty Storey, Ricky Town, or Cole Kelly are all too good to sit for five years a and only Peavy would be a candidate to change positions.

southarkhog06

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 04, 2016, 08:30:44 am
Not bashing, just the nature of the beast among high school all-americans, sooner or later one or two gets tired of sitting. Zack Clark, Robert Reed, Tavarius Jackson, or Mike Cherry for examples.
That does not in any way mean they are Prima Donnas, If I had the skills to be a D1 QB and the writing was on the wall I wouldn't play before I graduated I would move on too.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2016, 01:20:45 pm
Only thing I can see is relying on recruiting rankings.
But there are a lot of mid-major football programs before you get to Buffalo and Brown.  Can the rankings be that far off?  Something is askew.

LA Football fan

He may have had other offers but just wasn't interested in that school and let the staff know.  He also could just be an under the radar type player that didn't have a lot of video out there for coaches to look at.  Does seem a little odd with as much information that is out there these days.   His numbers playing at that level of high school football would seem to attract more offers, especially with his size.   Hope it works out for us though.   

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 04, 2016, 10:38:53 am
But there are a lot of mid-major football programs before you get to Buffalo and Brown.  Can the rankings be that far off?  Something is askew.

Thus my answer, rankings.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: factchecker on March 03, 2016, 03:44:34 pm
Footage of drill work from the MQA:

MQA = Mastrole Quarterback Academy

http://mastrolequarterback.com/

That kid is the next Great White Marino. Seems like he'd be a great addition to the program and only add luster to the beacon that we are.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.