Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the all-knowing negative posters

Started by rndlldk, October 25, 2011, 05:47:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rndlldk

Whenever you're tempted to definitively state on this board what should or shouldn't happen with coaching, players, scheming, strategy, etc., step back and take a deep breath.

While some of you may have coached or watched a lot of football, you are not OUR coaches.  Anyone who has coached knows that there are multiple tradeoffs, priorities, etc. with scheming, personnel, and all the micro and macro decisions that go into making up a football team.  Some of these decisions work and some of them don't.  If you have a great staff and great players like we do, what happens, ON THE WHOLE, is this: 

1.   In four short years you have a team that has risen from the ashes to national prominence.

2.   In the third year that team went to its first BCS Bowl.

3.   In its fourth year it is rated in the top ten and in the hunt for another BCS bowl while playing in the toughest division in toughest conference in the nation.

Our coaches make these decisions after living and breathing this team, its players and our opponents every single day of the year.

You are not them. You are not there. You do not know.  And that includes calls to "Fire Willy", or whomever else you want to fire or bench or insult this week

A smart man once said, "I'm too old to know everything."  So, before you make that overly emotional post, step back, mature a little bit and enjoy the ride.

uncle bubs

God bless the Boston Mountains.

jdhogg0707

Thanks rook.  But, we're here to win a national championship.  Or at least go and get us a win in Atlanta.  Until we do one of those two things--maybe you should participate in the discussion of what it's going to take to get us there...instead of making people feel bad for having a valid opinion about possible changes on the staff. 

Before you start another post calling people out for not being fans...maybe read some of the threads you posted over.  What you said has been articulated multiple times already since Saturday.  We get it.  Losing to Alabama every year is good enough.  Gotcha.     

Sick of this junk.  We're ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT IT.  It's a fansite.  These are opinions.  The most negative stuff on here is people like you that call other people out for having an opinion about what can be improved, etc. 

As for the "Fire Willy" stuff...it seems pretty isolated.  It's not the entire board.  Most of us are interested in breaking down the weaknesses of this team and discussing where we can improve.  What we DON'T need is another post like this.  They're getting old. 

Stop discouraging debate.  It's ridiculous.

tkclark

That Oliver dude needs to read this.  Gotta be the human equivalent of Eeyore.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: rndlldk on October 25, 2011, 05:47:05 pm
Whenever you're tempted to definitively state on this board what should or shouldn't happen with coaching, players, scheming, strategy, etc., step back and take a deep breath.

While some of you may have coached or watched a lot of football, you are not OUR coaches.  Anyone who has coached knows that there are multiple tradeoffs, priorities, etc. with scheming, personnel, and all the micro and macro decisions that go into making up a football team.  Some of these decisions work and some of them don't.  If you have a great staff and great players like we do, what happens, ON THE WHOLE, is this: 

1.   In four short years you have a team that has risen from the ashes to national prominence.

3.   In its fourth year it is rated in the top ten and in the hunt for another BCS bowl while playing in the toughest division in toughest conference in the nation.

Our coaches make these decisions after living and breathing this team, its players and our opponents every single day of the year.

You are not them. You are not there. You do not know.  And that includes calls to "Fire Willy", or whomever else you want to fire or bench or insult this week

A smart man once said, "I'm too old to know everything."  So, before you make that overly emotional post, step back, mature a little bit and enjoy the ride.
I don't necessarily disagree with your comments; in fact many of them are very valid, you must realize that EVERY fan website has its grippers. While we may not particularly like it, it is after all the nature of the beast. I can confidently say that no matter how good a team you're going to have those who don't always see the same way as you do. Check out some of the other sites for the Tide and Cajun Tigers and you'll see what I mean. That's fine as long as we realize that's the way of the world.

Relax, continue to post your thoughts, and just enjoy both the site and the ride!

hawganatic

You're right, how dare anybody have an opinion around here.  It should always be yes sir and no sir when it comes to all things football, and at no time should anybody express, on an OPINION message board, how they feel about what they are seeing.

Jon Ham

You are 100% correct and I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. Thanks for doing it and using words in a much better way than I could.

wupigsuey

So uuuhhhhhh what are we going to talk about then?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

al2305

Quote from: hawganatic on October 25, 2011, 06:00:52 pm
You're right, how dare anybody have an opinion around here.  It should always be yes sir and no sir when it comes to all things football, and at no time should anybody express, on an OPINION message board, how they feel about what they are seeing.

Im sure thats the way BP likes it

Sir Oinksalot

October 25, 2011, 06:07:55 pm #9 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:11:17 pm by Sir Oinksalot
I mean, come on...

Tyler is getting some HUGE Glory, not to mention the babes...

can we cut the kid and the whole team some slack...?

they know what they want to do...

we beat OM by what 3 touchdowns last year and the team now knows
there isn't any drop-off from last year,, these college kids are lazy and are for the most part
are only going to do what THEY HAVE TO DO...

just go with it...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

hawganatic

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on October 25, 2011, 06:07:55 pm
I mean, come on...

Tyler is getting some HUGE Glory, not to mention the babes...

can we cut the kid and the whole team some slack...?

they know what they want to do...

This thread is less about the team and more about telling people how to think/act.  We had a lot of people sticking their head in the sand with the last coaching regime and it made it that much harder to get rid of him.

We have a much better coach/program now but that doesn't mean he is above reproach.  If you don't like opinions that you don't agree with, then an Internet message board probably isn't a great place to hang out...

Jon Ham

It's one thing to express concerns, evaluate performances, make predictions, and talk about our goals and dreams. It's another thing to say with certainty that a coach should be fired or that one player should get playing time over another player or that Petrino must do x y and z differently if he wants to improve our chances of winning.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: hawganatic on October 25, 2011, 06:12:31 pm
This thread is less about the team and more about telling people how to think/act.  We had a lot of people sticking their head in the sand with the last coaching regime and it made it that much harder to get rid of him.

We have a much better coach/program now but that doesn't mean he is above reproach.  If you don't like opinions that you don't agree with, then an Internet message board probably isn't a great place to hang out...

do what...?

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 06:14:32 pm
It's one thing to express concerns, evaluate performances, make predictions, and talk about our goals and dreams. It's another thing to say with certainty that a coach should be fired or that one player should get playing time over another player or that Petrino must do x y and z differently if he wants to improve our chances of winning.

so jon, trying the mental approach...?

Jon Ham

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 06:21:12 pm
not sure what you're asking...

you don't understand what I mean by "mental",

you gotta be kidding...?

Jon Ham

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on October 25, 2011, 06:23:20 pm
you don't understand what I mean by "mental",

you gotta be kidding...?

you asked if I was trying the "mental approach." Mental approach to what?

Sir Oinksalot

just read your post dude, it's all mental, no emotional aspect , nothing about injuries to the psyche...

maybe, say, someone had a girlfriend who got pissed cause, so-in-so didn't catch
any passes!...suppose our left guard's girlfriend had a period and was a bitch...

but he didn't know cause she didn't tell him...?

stuff, life man, not just widgets...!

HawgnCorona

October 25, 2011, 06:31:16 pm #18 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:56:54 pm by HawgnCorona

No the thread is really about an opinion...the affect though is no different than yours in the sense that you don't want to be told how or what to think. Yet you are telling him how or what he cant think, or say...

It would seem that if you are all for expression, rather than basically tell them to shut up? Either ignore the post after reading or respond with points that challenges his view.

IMHO, that is what makes the board interesting...espousing different points of view and without feeling violated because someone doesn't agree with YOUR view, thinking YOURS is the correct view.

Short of flame and trolling we need to discussion the topic and not try to "bash the person."
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jdhogg0707

Goals and dreams?  Uhhhh, my football team punches people in the face and bleeds and sweats motor oil.  I'm not sure about goals and dreams.  The best part about your post was:  something, something something, yawn, something, do xyz differently if he wants to improve our chances of winning. 

YES!  THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE DO HERE! 

Your overestimation of the impact we have on anything at all is stunning.

PigTales

I believe rndlldk is simply stating the facts. No One on here is payed the big bucks that I know of unless you are Coach Nutt posting as a "ghost" account. We do have players and recruits who read this board. If you read some of the comments from some of the recruits most of them mention the Arkansas Fans and how great they are then they find some of the discouraging comments on here and think what the ??? Yeah trust me they read this stuff .. I've heard mentioned on here several time how bad many want DBG the #1 recruit in the nation. I live in his town..these kids DO READ THESE POSTS!!! I don't care if Tide or the Swamp Kitty Cats want to trash and smack on their players and coaches. My momma always told me not to be  a follower but a leader. All he was trying to say is "Be careful what you say cause ya can't take it back once it's out there and ya never know who is listening or reading.

Do we have problems that need to be addressed? Yes, and it seems pretty obvious to me anyway that our coaches and our players know who to adjust. I did not see where rndlldk said anything about anyone being happy about losing to Bama...and if memory serves me right we were one interception away from beating them last year...that is football that is gonna happen.

You can voice your opinion and talk about the things "YOU" thing need to happen to make our program better but remember you aren't being paid the big bucks to make those decisions. We can second guess all we want but in the end I would say our ending sure looks a lot brighter than it did 5 years ago. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Jon Ham

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on October 25, 2011, 06:30:54 pm
just read your post dude, it's all mental, no emotional aspect , nothing about injuries to the psyche...

maybe, say, someone had a girlfriend who got pissed cause, so-in-so didn't catch
any passes!...suppose our left guard's girlfriend had a period and was a bitch...

but he didn't know cause she didn't tell him...?

stuff, life man, not just widgets...!

lol what?

Quote from: PiggieSmalls on October 25, 2011, 06:31:20 pm
The best part about your post was:  something, something something, yawn, something, do xyz differently if he wants to improve our chances of winning. 

I don't feel the need to call out players or coaches in order to keep people's attention or make this board "exciting." Sorry.

Quote from: PiggieSmalls on October 25, 2011, 06:31:20 pm
Your overestimation of the impact we have on anything at all is stunning.

Don't see how you got that from my post. But ok.

MuskogeeHogFan

October 25, 2011, 06:55:34 pm #22 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:57:46 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

Just FYI, the board rules do not prohibit talking about coaches or whether anyone feels in their opinion that they should be fired and yeah, that includes opinions about BP. Now trashing players is quite another thing and that and profanity and insulting each other by name calling (among some other things) are clearly prohibited.

I would suggest that some of you guys take your own medicine. If you see a thread on here that you consider in your opinion to be negative, either get on and voice your opinion (as you have here) or don't enter the thread.
Go Hogs Go!

RLWOLFEMAN

Razorfacts needs to quit chasing around positive posters. If you do not like the post you do not have to read or or feel obligated to leave your stupidity.

HF#1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 25, 2011, 06:55:34 pm
I would suggest that some of you guys take your own medicine. If you see a thread on here that you consider in your opinion to be negative, either get on and voice your opinion (as you have here) or don't enter the thread.

MHF, I think sometimes not entering the thread is not so easy because at times the majority of the threads take on the same theme.  How many threads on the front page are about Willy or the defense? 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jdhogg0707

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 06:40:16 pm
I don't feel the need to call out players or coaches in order to keep people's attention or make this board "exciting." Sorry.

Yeah, I feel the need to call out players.  Don't see how you got that from my post...but, ok.  Don't say sorry to me...say it to America. 

jdhogg0707

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 06:58:56 pm
I'll tell you what IS immature. Not being able to understand that not everyone in the world is going to agree with your OPINION.

That's negativity on Hogville.  Anything contrary to your personal views. 

HF#1

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 07:08:24 pm
So why not just accept that not everyone is going to agree with you and have an actual discussion minus the insults and such? That's what I'm talkin about right there.

The same lame arguments that are made over and over and over and over again get old and frustrating.  I suppose that frustration gets the best of people.  I choose to stay away from here during the game.  Especially the game threads. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan#1 on October 25, 2011, 07:05:07 pm
MHF, I think sometimes not entering the thread is not so easy because at times the majority of the threads take on the same theme.  How many threads on the front page are about Willy or the defense? 

I think you are smart enough to make a decision to either enter a thread or not. I'll just leave it at that.
Go Hogs Go!

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 06:40:16 pm
lol what?

Don't see how you got that from my post. But ok.

I'm not giving up on you...

HF#1

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 07:18:53 pm
The same could be said about the continued bitching about Houston Nutt, just for example. But it is what it is. The funny/sad thing is that the very people who think it's just fine for them to continue going after that guy this four years later, are the VERY first posters who will start yelling that other posters need to shut up when they express an opinion THEY don't like.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with a person who doesn't understand that if THEY have a "right" to post THEIR opinion on a message board that they should support the "right" of those with whom they disagree to post THEIRS. I mean surely we can agree on that?

Would ANYONE truly enjoy this board, or any other, if it was just full of a bunch of yes men who teeheed at their every thought?

I agree.

HF#1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 25, 2011, 07:23:42 pm
I think you are smart enough to make a decision to either enter a thread or not. I'll just leave it at that.

I wasn't talking about me but yes. 

El Puerco

October 25, 2011, 07:40:17 pm #32 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:54:24 pm by El Puerco

Hear, hear!

The same should apply to the president and congress.  You are not the president and you are not a congressman.  These people make their decisions after living and breathing this country, its people and our adversaries every single day of the year.
They, too, are beyond criticism. After all...."You are not them. You are not there. You do not know."

Please don't post any more.

In Soviet Russia....keyboard types on YOU

Jon Ham

Quote from: El Puerco on October 25, 2011, 07:40:17 pm
In Soviet Russia....keyboard types on YOU

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 25, 2011, 06:55:34 pm
Just FYI, the board rules do not prohibit talking about coaches or whether anyone feels in their opinion that they should be fired and yeah, that includes opinions about BP. Now trashing players is quite another thing and that and profanity and insulting each other by name calling (among some other things) are clearly prohibited.

Just b/c you have the right to talk about firing coaches doesn't make it right. People can be as negative and short-sighted as they want to be on here, but I'm going to call it what it is.

El Puerco

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 08:38:53 pm

Just b/c you have the right to talk about firing coaches doesn't make it right. People can be as negative and short-sighted as they want to be on here, but I'm going to call it what it is.

Good.  Do that on your "blog."

bphi11ips

I can picture in my mind, a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world. 

Because they would never expect it.

This link may sooth your melancholy as you peruse the hate-filled posts populating this site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jman

Jon Ham

Quote from: El Puerco on October 25, 2011, 08:46:19 pm
Good.  Do that on your "blog."

I'm honored that you want me to continue writing on my blog, but I quit that when the season started. Thanks for the support though.

El Puerco

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 09:00:58 pm
I'm humbled that you want me to continue writing on my blog, but I quit that when the season started. Thanks for the support though.

Send me a link.  It was WWW.NoideawhatI'mtalkingabout.net, right?

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: PiggieSmalls on October 25, 2011, 07:07:23 pm
That's negativity on Hogville.  Anything contrary to your personal views.

not all of yours...

Biggus Piggus

I'd like to see Arkansas have a better opening game plan than somebody. Has not happened yet this season, not in a real game.
[CENSORED]!

El Puerco

October 25, 2011, 09:19:26 pm #41 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:21:02 pm by El Puerco
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 25, 2011, 09:15:04 pm
I'd like to see Arkansas have a better opening game plan than somebody. Has not happened yet this season, not in a real game.

We're going to open up the playbook this week. We've been sandbagging and running the vanilla packages up until now.

You make an interesting point.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jon Ham on October 25, 2011, 08:38:53 pm

Did I in any way indicate that I wanted to stifle or suppress your self-expression on this board? No.

But you nor anyone else has a right to tell other posters what they should believe, say or post as long as they do so within the rules of the board. Hopefully that is about as clear as it can get.
Go Hogs Go!

upperdeck_hawg

You are not them. You are not there. You do not know.  And that includes calls to “Fire Willy”, or whomever else you want to fire or bench or insult this week

A smart man once said, “I’m too old to know everything.”  So, before you make that overly emotional post, step back, mature a little bit and enjoy the ride.

great post. +1

Everyone should realize that we have one guy that could maybe crack the the starting line up in either Alabama or LSU's defense.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Fixed it for you...

I you make asinine statements just because you can, or just because you are on an internet message board; then you are just an idiot... All this crap is going to do is cause unrest in the fanbase and coaching staff and team.

Explain to me ONE benefit of all of this bitching and I will leave you turds to it...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

El Puerco

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 10:17:31 pm
and you should realize that midway through year 4 that is Bobby Petrino's fault, so that doesn't really help your argument that we shouldn't gripe about the coaching.

He's one of the best coaches in the nation.  No question about it.  If he had landed at LSU / Bama, there's not a doubt in my mind that he would have had the same success that Saban enjoyed.
He is the best we can hope for.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 10:22:40 pm
Since when does anyone need to establish a benefit before giving their OPINION? Why don't you just post your email address and from now on the good posters of Hogville can run all their posts by you for approval before they post them? I'm sure that is EXACTLY what Lanny had in mind when started this place.

Do you really want it to be like that? What if in 2006 Lanny had said "hey everyone shut the Frank up , the official opinion here is that Nutt is a good coach, we won't allow dissent?" Would you have then been "oh well okay, yeah we don't want differing opinions here?" Hell no, you wouldn't have.

You are no Christian...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

El Puerco

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 10:26:06 pm
I absolutely agree that if Petrino were at Bama or LSU for 4 years he would win a national title. I give Saban a SLIGHT advantage because a kick ass defense will win more championships than a kick ass offense will, generally speaking anyway; but as far as coaching abilities. I totally agree with you; and the question of whether Saban could improve the recruiting at Arkansas is a great one. I personally believe he would , Miles I'm not so sure about.

My only point was it IS the coach's job to get those players that would start for other SEC teams , so saying "well he'd do better if he just had the same talent as Bama" is not really doing a good job of defending the guy.

I'm starting to understand your popularity.
I don't need to "defend the guy." However, there isn't any real way to compare him to Saban unless you imagine how he would do there or how Saban would do here.  Anything else isn't a fair comparison.
Nobody walks into the mess that was our program and does better than he has.  Nobody.  End of story.  Roll credits.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 10:30:49 pm
Nice attempt to deflect and turn this into a thread about me, but the thread is about yall's need to dictate what others may post. Why do you come here KNOWING that people are going to post things that piss you off if you dislike it so much?

Why do you only post argumentative posts? Why do you think your rules are the only rules for the message board? Why do you not care about anyone else's point of view other than to see how to criticize it? Why are you a Troll? Why do you hate Willie? Why do you want him fired? If you don't want him fired, why do you shake the trees and stir up the hate monkeys? Do you suffer from small man's disease? Did your' mother not show you enough love? Do you have IBS? Do you suffer from cough due to cold? Does your bubble gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Actually the thread title is aimed at you and your ilk. When did you determine that you could change the meaning of the thread?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RazorFacts on October 25, 2011, 10:37:07 pm
See this is where I get confused and can't understand why people can't read on here. I just freaking agreed with you and yet you still gotta come back with a snide remark. Just unbelievable.

Snide remark?