Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Go through this list and tell me who "deserves" to be cut.

Started by lakecityhog, December 21, 2017, 06:39:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

We have lots of youth on the roster and several kids that have not contributed much. My question would be WHY? Are they clearly NOT SEC material? Are they behind talented upper-classmen? Have they had the opportunity to really develop their skills?

On the other side, are they failing in the classroom? How many have caused trouble on or off the field? Which kid has not lived up to his part of the bargain?

Just how does a coach make a decision to cut a kid? With so little time to really judge a kid's talent level what exactly does a coach go on? Do you cut a young kid with more time to develop or the older kid that only has 1 season left?

Scholarship Numbers by Position
QB (3) - Ty Storey, Cole Kelley and Daulton Hyatt

RB (4) - Devwah Whaley, Maleek Williams and Chase Hayden, TJ Hammonds

FB (2) - Kendrick Jackson and Hayden Johnson

WR (11) - Jared Cornelius (X), Jonathan Nance (X), Brandon Martin (X), LaMichael Pettway (X), Deon Stewart (Z),  Kofi Boateng (Z), Jordan Jones (Z), Maleek Barkley, Jarrod Barnes, Koilan Jackson and DeVion Warren

TE (6) - Jack Kraus, Jeremy Patton, Austin Cantrell, Will Gragg, Cheyenne O'Grady and Grayson Gunter

OL (11) -Johnny Gibson (RG), Deion Malone (LG), Brian Wallace (RT), Hjalte Froholdt (LG), Zach Rogers (C), Colton Jackson (LT), Jalen Merrick (RG), Jake Heinrich (LG), Kirby Adcock (RG), Shane Clenin (LT) and Dalton Wagner (RT)

NG (2) - Austin Capps and Dylan Hays

DE ( 8 ) - Jake Hall, Michael Taylor, Armon Watts, T.J. Smith, McTelvin Agim, Briston Guidry, Jonathan Marshall and David Porter

OLB (6) -  Randy Ramsey (RZ), Jamario Bell (H), Gabe Richardson (H), Alexy Jean-Baptiste (RZ), Derrick Munson (RZ) and J.Paul (OLB)

ILB (5) - Dre Greenlaw (W), De'jon Harris (M), Giovanni LaFrance (-), Dee Walker (W) and Kyrei Fisher (W)

CB ( 8 ) - Ryan Pulley, Nate Dalton, Britto Tutt, Chevin Calloway, Kamren Curl, Jordon Curtis, Korey Hernandez and Jarques McClellion

S (5) - Santos Ramirez (S), Reid Miller (F), Deon Edwards (F), Micahh Smith (S) and Montaric Brown

K (1) - Cole Hedlund

P (1) - Blake Johnson
SNP (0) -

I feel like I can safely say that there is not a single name on this list that jumps out at me and says " I am not right for the University of Arkansas." And yes, before any one of you starts in, that includes Hedlund! With some real coaching he could be a really good kicker.

I do think that we are heavy at a couple of spots, WR, TE and LB. But even with those spots having higher numbers how do you cut a kid that is doing what he has been coached to do?

I am so glad that I don't have to make such a hard decision!!!

Hogtimes

IIRC scholarships are now guaranteed for 4 years.....so you cannot just cut someone from the team

nwahogfan1

Position coaches see these kids many many hours and tell the head coach who is progression and who is not. Who is not getting it.  Who is not giving 100%.  All the facts are accumulated and then the hammer falls.  Many times the kid knows this because his attitude sucks and he is last on every depth chart.  If a coach could not cut dead weight then what would a coach do with kids not working hard?  Believe me if a kid does not have the talent but gives 200% they probable will not be cut.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 21, 2017, 06:44:55 pm
IIRC scholarships are now guaranteed for 4 years.....so you cannot just cut someone from the team

Lol.  They find a way to cut the bad performers..  Be like not being able to fire a bad employee.  The bad apple will stink up the place.  Competition and limited scolarships at our level require teams to do this.

lakecityhog

NWA, while I agree with your basic premise it is our current situation that I am talking about. We have a new coach and basically all new assistants that have never worked with these kids. How will they know?

Maybe with a new staff some of these kids will see a light at the end of the tunnel, possible PT? Maybe they need more discipline in order to grow, maybe better structure is all they need. Maybe just a fresh start.

For example: On the face of it I have an issue with B Martin and him damn near breaking a teammates jaw. Now, the truth is I don't know the particulars of the incident and probably never will. Should that 1 thing affect this kid's future? Was it just a 1 time thing or might it happen again? Do we ignore it because of his talent? How did that incident affect the locker room?

jgphillips3

Kids can be convinced to move on by being told they will never see the field even if they can't be directly cut.

Hogtimes

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 21, 2017, 06:55:16 pm
Lol.  They find a way to cut the bad performers..  Be like not being able to fire a bad employee.  The bad apple will stink up the place.  Competition and limited scolarships at our level require teams to do this.

LOL....you get a reputation for cutting players and your recruiting will crash and burn.   

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 21, 2017, 06:55:55 pm
NWA, while I agree with your basic premise it is our current situation that I am talking about. We have a new coach and basically all new assistants that have never worked with these kids. How will they know?

Maybe with a new staff some of these kids will see a light at the end of the tunnel, possible PT? Maybe they need more discipline in order to grow, maybe better structure is all they need. Maybe just a fresh start.

For example: On the face of it I have an issue with B Martin and him damn near breaking a teammates jaw. Now, the truth is I don't know the particulars of the incident and probably never will. Should that 1 thing affect this kid's future? Was it just a 1 time thing or might it happen again? Do we ignore it because of his talent? How did that incident affect the locker room?

Everyone starts with a clean slate with a new coaching staff.    The hammer doesn't have to fall until summer school when most of the freshmen start reporting.

Very good players many times get 2 and 3 chances where a border line kid gets 1.  That is just the way it is.  Coaches must win.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 21, 2017, 06:59:39 pm
LOL....you get a reputation for cutting players and your recruiting will crash and burn.

I don't see Bama having any problems filling their scholarships.

Hogtimes

Pig in the Pokey

that's 73 guys. means we have 5 more schollies plus probably Hedlund and Story's.7 more guys and possibl a defect or two for other reason (not talent related).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pudgepork

If my memory is right, fullbacks might become extinct.  Heavy, slow rbs might need to look around.  All of this size players might make great lbs or rush ends but those are the 1st positions I'd think should worry.  Next would be a thinning of the herd at tight end

hogfan870

Not sure why "deserves" is in quotes in the title (I put it in quotes because I am quoting the title).  I think the only players that deserve to be cut are those that are not giving max effort or are not being good team players, and I think you would have to be at a lot of team events to offer an opinion on that. 

However, if we are encouraging players to explore opportunities because they aren't good enough to take us where we want to go, I think we could lose a QB, a couple/few TEs (and maybe lump the FBs in with this group), WRs, and DBs. 

I will be surprised if we don't see some players making big contributions that we haven't seen much of to this point.  The ones that immediately come to mind are Gragg and Bandon Martin, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Oline didn't shuffled a little bit also.  It seems to me that BB left some of the best players on the sidelines because of his emphasis on off the field stuff.  That may work some places, but at Arkansas in the SEC, we need our best players on the field period.     

King Kong

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 21, 2017, 07:08:21 pm
We are not Bama

True.  But all schools must cut the kids who are not producing.  We just see it as kids leaving usually to a smaller school to find a better fit. It happens.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 21, 2017, 07:21:58 pm
If my memory is right, fullbacks might become extinct.  Heavy, slow rbs might need to look around.  All of this size players might make great lbs or rush ends but those are the 1st positions I'd think should worry.  Next would be a thinning of the herd at tight end

I do not think we will carry 7 TEs either.  If the running program is as hard as I think it will be I do not think we will have to cut anyone. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 21, 2017, 07:26:56 pm
Not sure why "deserves" is in quotes in the title (I put it in quotes because I am quoting the title).  I think the only players that deserve to be cut are those that are not giving max effort or are not being good team players, and I think you would have to be at a lot of team events to offer an opinion on that. 

However, if we are encouraging players to explore opportunities because they aren't good enough to take us where we want to go, I think we could lose a QB, a couple/few TEs (and maybe lump the FBs in with this group), WRs, and DBs. 

I will be surprised if we don't see some players making big contributions that we haven't seen much of to this point.  The ones that immediately come to mind are Gragg and Bandon Martin, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Oline didn't shuffled a little bit also.  It seems to me that BB left some of the best players on the sidelines because of his emphasis on off the field stuff.  That may work some places, but at Arkansas in the SEC, we need our best players on the field period.     

I totally agree.  Clean slate.  Should be exciting for the fans. Very difficult and Stressful for the players.

RockyMtnHog

Has Ty Storey already transferred or requested a transfer?
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Pudgepork

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 21, 2017, 07:42:05 pm
Has Ty Storey already transferred or requested a transfer?

Unless the coaches can tell from film study that certain guys just aren't gonna fit, I'd expect no transfers until after spring practice and school semester finishes. 
Storey reportedly was thinking bout a transfer but will see if he is given a fair shot in the spring

FrJoseph

If AR just gets servicable QB play, they win 8 games. A TON of talent at the skill
Positions. 

FR Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

Lanlord

Coach Morris said everyone has a new start.  He will give them all a chance.

colbs

I️
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 21, 2017, 07:15:23 pm
that's 73 guys. means we have 5 more schollies plus probably Hedlund and Story's.7 more guys and possibl a defect or two for other reason (not talent related).
This doesn't include the players added to scholarship in the spring.

lakecityhog

If you count Clary and Henry (blue-shirts) we were at 75, throw in the 7 signed yesterday and we are now sitting on 82. That leaves us with 3 open spots and according to Morris we are looking for 10 more signees.

I used "" because several folks have thrown out names pretty freely and to me that suggests that they feel like those kids deserve to be cut loose. (Storey and Hedlund come to mind as suggested transfers) Me, I think that they ALL DESERVE a chance with the new staff to prove themselves before being cut loose.

The problem with over-signing this spring and counting on normal attrition to open the spots could easily lead into "having" to cut some guys. Many times we have heard that recruiting is a crapshoot so how do we know that a signee is going to be better than a kid we pushed out?

Hawghiggs

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 21, 2017, 06:44:55 pm

I suspect they can be removed from the roster, but the school is still on the hook for their scholarship, kind of like the way they've handled Medical Hardships in the past. Those guys still had their education paid for but they did not count against the 85 limit. I've never seen a real clear explanation for how that's handled.

GuvHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 21, 2017, 07:34:05 pm
True.  But all schools must cut the kids who are not producing.  We just see it as kids leaving usually to a smaller school to find a better fit. It happens.

That used to be true when scholarships were only for 1 year and had to be renewed every year. It isn't that way any more. The coaches will advise a player that it is in their best interest to transfer but they won't out right cut them any more. If a player leaves, it will be because that player chose to do so.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lakecityhog

December 21, 2017, 09:22:40 pm #27 Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:13:05 am by lakecityhog
MAY 17 2012 7:50 PM
The Most Evil Thing about College Sports
Athletic scholarships are no guarantee of a four-year education. They can be yanked after one year, for any reason. Of the 330 schools that cast a ballot, 205 voted against four-year scholarships, including football titans Texas, LSU, and Alabama.

Scholarships ARE year-to-year at most schools, not all schools.

Cinco de Hogo

Probably about 4 million reasons why I shouldn't answer your question.  We shouldn't be throwing ANY names around either.

kennypig

None of them should be cut. This is the time for some of them to get their act together and show the new coaches something. If they still see they won't be playing, it's between them and the Coach to decide to transfer or not.  JMO.
Butch Jones used to cut players early December thru mid January. That allowed him to sign up to 35 kids that year. I'm sure he wasn't the only one, but it was obvious. At the same time, we gave scholarships to walk ons if they earned it.

Oklahawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 21, 2017, 09:22:40 pm
Athletic scholarships are no guarantee of a four-year education. They can be yanked after one year, for any reason. Of the 330 schools that cast a ballot, 205 voted against four-year scholarships, including football titans Texas, LSU, and Alabama.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/05/ncaa_scholarship_rules_it_s_morally_indefensible_that_athletic_scholarships_can_be_yanked_after_one_year_for_any_reason_.html

I believe that "loophole" has been closed.

And, you can't just put them on an academic scholarship. A medical hardship requires medical adjudication that the player cannot play any longer. RW3 is the only player around who currently qualifies (that I know of).

What you are looking at first are graduate transfers. Or, players wanting to play and willing to do so at a lesser level.

Given CCM's rather austere approach to retaining unwanted commits, I suspect that post-spring ball will find several who are moving on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Hedlund and Storey are somewhat public names of players who have been thought to be leaving.

Pleased that the thread has not been polluted with a bunch of lists of names. Let's keep it that way.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JIHawg

The OP asked posters to name names.  I hope nobody will follow this ill-advised suggestion.  Players and their parents read this board.  They   don't need to read some yahoo proposing a particular player lose his scholarship. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: JIHawg on December 21, 2017, 11:49:50 pm
The OP asked posters to name names.  I hope nobody will follow this ill-advised suggestion.  Players and their parents read this board.  They   don't need to read some yahoo proposing a particular player lose his scholarship. 

Thank you! Cosign.

hawginbigd1

Imo there a only a handful of scholarship players that have shown they are not worthy in my book and then there is a bigger group that I like the potential that they haven't really had an opportunity to make their case one way or another. I really love the roster, QB is a ?, Young LBs that haven't played hopefully break out, and at some point we have to find SEC Safeties

jackflash

asking players to transfer is not the way a coaching staff wants to start out

Pork Twain

In a perfect world all of these guys will excel with the new scheme and their leadership will be invaluable.  I know that is not a typical mindset on Hogville, but it should be.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Steef

Quote from: JIHawg on December 21, 2017, 11:49:50 pm

Like Okla, I agree with this.

But it's more than that.

We (fans) think we "know" by now, who among our current roster actually are, or could be, SEC caliber athletes.

And who aren't.  It's the "aren't" that the OP wants lists of (did I just end a sentence with a preposition? Sorry Mrs Thompson)

We...don't.  Know. We....don't know squat about who's good enough.

Because no one on our current roster got SEC caliber coaching to find out if they're good enough.

It remains to be seen if they will.

Tim Harris

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 21, 2017, 07:36:32 pm
I do not think we will carry 7 TEs either.  If the running program is as hard as I think it will be I do not think we will have to cut anyone. 

Why do you think that?  He had 8 on his roster at SMU.  Not sure how many were scholarship vs. walkons though

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 21, 2017, 09:22:40 pm

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/05/ncaa_scholarship_rules_it_s_morally_indefensible_that_athletic_scholarships_can_be_yanked_after_one_year_for_any_reason_.html

That's so 2012, how about you look up the vote from the January NCAA convention in 2015, the P5 schools voted, with the SEC and Big 12 voting against it, to make all scholarships four year guarantees.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/17/college-athletes-ncaa-convention-sec-football/21921785/

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 21, 2017, 07:36:32 pm

Morris uses the TE's a lot. But yes 7 is too many. It was even too many for the previous system

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 21, 2017, 07:08:21 pm
We are not Bama
While that may be true, IF you're going to improve your overall team's ability AND you have kids who are obviously not going to contribute due to a change in style of offense and/or defense being run OR the young man just doesn't have it, then sometimes it's necessary for the good of the program. Not saying it should be a normal way of doing things. However, most kids are intelligent enough to recognize that such things do happen from time-to-time. And yes, that means more than one or two programs have done so, and they aren't named Alabama.

Just like clearing out dead underbrush from a forest, sometimes having to clean out "dead wood" from a football program is needed to improve the health of the program. Not something that you necessary like to do; however, it's just one of the not so pleasant aspects of upper echelon college football. At the end of the day though it's obviously up to the position coaches and coordinators/Morris as to whether or not they feel there should be any young men asked to move on.

Pork Twain

Quote from: King Kong on December 22, 2017, 10:45:14 am
Morris uses the TE’s a lot. But yes 7 is too many. It was even too many for the previous system
You are right.  7 is a ridiculously high number of TEs to have on the roster.  I expect us to look more like Clemson as far as roster make-up.  Oh wait, they have 8 TEs on their roster...  This thread is garbage.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Piggfoot

Speaking only of SEC D1 football, are teams required to guarantee a full four year scholarship to commits? I can't find a definitive answer
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Snouty

No, I believe every athletic scholarship is one year renewable.

Augustus

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 22, 2017, 10:11:14 pm
Speaking only of SEC D1 football, are teams required to guarantee a full four year scholarship to commits? I can't find a definitive answer

No. None of the D1 schools are required to offer 4 year scholly's (although some do).

Scholly's are 1 year agreements and renewed each year... based on coaching changes, medical status, performance, etc.

A coach can only pull a scholarship from a player mid-year if:
1) they are ineligible, or
2) they misrepresent information in a university document or
3) they withdraw from the team

Here is a good article (it's a bit old & ignore the source)

And another article changes to 1 year scholly's, given a certain situation
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/can-a-coach-take-away-my-scholarship-without-telling-me

goodguytex

Everyone pretty much are starting fresh. And that's a good thing. New opportunities to make an impression, from the player to the coach, and from the coach to the player as well.

FANONTHEHILL

How is this allowed to stay in the board?  Why is a site that claims it won't allow players to be bashed allowing a thread to stay open asking for people to list by name who should be cut from the team?  I've seen a lot of crap over the years, but this is ridiculous.  The program and players deserve better.  This is pathetic.  I've enjoyed the conversations with many of you, but I've had it.  Im done.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?