Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 09:03:33 am

Hey

Started by heavylifting, February 17, 2018, 09:50:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heavylifting

Those of you who are always complaining about the supposed lack of quality in the jockey colony at Oaklawn . . .

and you know who you are . . .

and are always going on and on about Pat Day's glory days . . .

well, Geovanni Franco won 3 races in a row at Santa Anita today, the last of which was a Grade 3 stakes race; P3 paid $505.90 for a buck . . .

and then Stew Elliott won the 8th (at 40-1) and 10th races

There's talent in that jockey's room in Hot Springs; appreciate it now while it's there, because it will be on another stage in the future

jdelo77

How are guys like Franco and Israel ocampo winning races at SA ? I just don't get it ..

userpick

Which riders are the talented ones? Curious to know. Ricardo is obvious.

HawgWild

Well, Pat Day was pretty darn good back in the day!  ;D

Russ22

Quote from: HawgWild on February 18, 2018, 11:22:39 am
Well, Pat Day was pretty darn good back in the day!  ;D
I think this statement depends totally on the amount of money he costed you on one of his"classic" trips.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

HawgWild

He "costed" me the most with his ride on Turkoman in the 1986 Breeder's Cup Classic. I saw in an interview a few years later where he admitted mistiming his move and should have gone on sooner. Darn right he should have! But, I don't hold a grudge!  ;D

cbhawg03

Who has burned more money at OP, Borel or Day?

oldman1015

Ok this ain't the politics forum.  Lets stick to giving each other bad tips and good advice.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

cbhawg03

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 18, 2018, 04:18:25 pm
Ok this ain't the politics forum.  Lets stick to giving each other bad tips and good advice.
wel the 10 not getting by the 6 cost me $120+ in the pick 3

HawgFan70

Oaklawn has a very mediocre jockey colony. Richard Santana is a good young jockey, the 2 David C's are serviceable. Ramon Vazquez is pretty good then the older guys John Court is riding good, Gary Stevens wins if he has the best horse but he's not splitting horses or going thru a crack on the rail. I think the most underrated jockey at Oaklawn is Rodney Prescott the guy can ride. Beyond those your gonna need a stroke of luck. The Fairgrounds purses are much less than Oaklawn and their Jockey colony is much better like they have 6-8 jockeys better than anybody at Oaklawn. Geroux, Bravo, Pedroza, Lanarie, Mena, Beschizza, Alvarado and more.
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

cbhawg03

Quote from: HawgFan70 on February 18, 2018, 07:12:03 pm
Oaklawn has a very mediocre jockey colony. Richard Santana is a good young jockey, the 2 David C's are serviceable. Ramon Vazquez is pretty good then the older guys John Court is riding good, Gary Stevens wins if he has the best horse but he's not splitting horses or going thru a crack on the rail. I think the most underrated jockey at Oaklawn is Rodney Prescott the guy can ride. Beyond those your gonna need a stroke of luck. The Fairgrounds purses are much less than Oaklawn and their Jockey colony is much better like they have 6-8 jockeys better than anybody at Oaklawn. Geroux, Bravo, Pedroza, Lanarie, Mena, Beschizza, Alvarado and more.

I like that guy Richard Santana lol

kingoftherapids

Quote from: HawgFan70 on February 18, 2018, 07:12:03 pm

Grass course. warm weather. one of the Fair grounds jocks was coming but decided not to because he couldnt play golf as much in this cold weather.

I think the colony here is pretty average at best considering the purses... one thing you do notice... the young quality riders are standing out... David Cabrera for sure is one. this kid can absolutely ride. you don't come out of the the oklahoma/ lone star circuit and dominate like he has early in the meet. that tells me two things:  the other guys aren't very good and cabrera is standing out despite the oaklawn backside politics and agent/trainer/rider loyalties. also, Gary Stevens is still a great rider. yes, he only gets on good horses, but do you blame him?  dude has legged up on winning colors, beholder, mucho macho man, etc. He isn't going to ride an Arky bred claimer for Lynn Chleborad. lol

Santana is a great rider. he validated it further at Saratoga this summer.

i honestly think Hot springs is home to one of the very best young riders on the planet... but he spends most of his time these days in sunny southern california. he will be back here today.

userpick

Our jockeys are morons. All of them. Ricardo wins the Southwest if he stays inside. The rail today was as good as I have ever seen it. Love combatant going forward.

jdelo77

February 19, 2018, 09:42:43 pm #13 Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:48:09 am by jdelo77
I thought sporting chance ran a decent race  today , in the stretch it looked like he would go right by the 1 , he had enough horse ...

userpick

Sporting Chance ran much better than I expected. I don't think he's a 2 turn horse but he could be a very nice sprinter.