Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm tired of this "can't win on the road" mantra from announcers.

Started by HamIAm, December 30, 2017, 06:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingLegends

This whole thread is way overblown.  I haven't heard one announcer say we can't win on the road.  They are just simply stating a fact that it's very tough to play well on the road; As opposed to generally playing well at home, hitting big shots and going on timely runs.  But hey, maybe they'll quit talking about us.  That's way better, no?  You have, "can't win on the road," in quotations.  Who said it?  I bet you pulled it out of thin air.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 02, 2018, 02:07:53 pm
Do you think you might be getting a little extreme? I think it's reasonable to say that the Hogs might need to put together back-to-back good road records under Anderson to really shake the perception.
That doesn't even make any sense. So if we have a good year, then a bad year, for the next ten years and end up about .500 on the road over that period. People can still validly say we are bad on the road even though we would be well above the national average? That's makes zero sense.

Let's say we put together back to back good years like you're saying. 7-4 and 7-4. Then we go 1-10  the following year. We're still 15-18 over that 3 year period.

The last 3 1/2 years we've been 2014: Last 5 games we went 3-2, 2015: 6-6, 2016: 3-8, 2017: 6-5. That's 18-21.

What's the difference??? Nothing. We play well on the road and have the last few years. Every player on our roster has played well on the road. Our coach has coached well on the road. If somebody that is getting paid to call games can't admit that they're incompetent.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 02:39:49 pm
That doesn't even make any sense. So if we have a good year, then a bad year, for the next ten years and end up about .500 on the road over that period. People can still validly say we are bad on the road even though we would be well above the national average? That's makes zero sense.

Let's say we put together back to back good years like you're saying. 7-4 and 7-4. Then we go 1-10  the following year. We're still 15-18 over that 3 year period.

The last 3 1/2 years we've been 2014: Last 5 games we went 3-2, 2015: 6-6, 2016: 3-8, 2017: 6-5. That's 18-21.

What's the difference??? Nothing. We play well on the road and have the last few years. Every player on our roster has played well on the road. Our coach has coached well on the road. If somebody that is getting paid to call games can't admit that they're incompetent.

Bingo! And Yahtzee!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Bigmac2 on December 31, 2017, 06:42:10 pm
Hoping you are right. Put the TN game on a neutral court and it probably would have ended differently. After seeing what Bama did to AM this week has me worried. We have a good team that has not reached their ceiling yet and should peak at the right time for tournament as well as being built for tournament time. These early road games will be tough so don't get disappointed if we split or even lose them both. The team knows what goes on when you're on the road however the most important cog, Gafford, will have his first SEC road experience. Fingers are crossed.

Put the TN on a neutral court and maybe Arkansas comes out ready to play instead of being so sloppy and not into it for most of the first 20 minutes.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 02:39:49 pm

Again, a little extreme. And also not what I said at all. That's what you said. I just said put together consecutive seasons and I bet the perception changes. Of course you see that and, irrationally, go off on a tangent about a 1-10 road record and 10 years of road success. Anderson has had struggles winning on the road back to Missouri. But when his teams are good, he wins on the road (go figure). We've been pretty good on the road two of the last three seasons. But that's a little uneven. It's inconsistent. You know that. Everyone here knows that. Just like tournament appearances. No one wants to make the Dance every other year. Imagine the national perception of Arkansas if the 2016 season hadn't gone off the rails and we're coming off 3 straight NCAA appearances. It's really not hard to see, but I guess I'm talking to Stevie Wonder.

LivingLegends

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 02, 2018, 03:34:32 pm
Again, a little extreme. And also not what I said at all. That's what you said. I just said put together consecutive seasons and I bet the perception changes. Of course you see that and, irrationally, go off on a tangent about a 1-10 road record and 10 years of road success. Anderson has had struggles winning on the road back to Missouri. But when his teams are good, he wins on the road (go figure). We've been pretty good on the road two of the last three seasons. But that's a little uneven. It's inconsistent. You know that. Everyone here knows that. Just like tournament appearances. No one wants to make the Dance every other year. Imagine the national perception of Arkansas if the 2016 season hadn't gone off the rails and we're coming off 3 straight NCAA appearances. It's really not hard to see, but I guess I'm talking to Stevie Wonder.

Absolutely.  It's very easy to comprehend.

1highhog

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on December 30, 2017, 08:00:57 pm
Mississippi State and Auburn are going to rip us in two

I wouldn't go as far as to say this, but I think Miss State has a good a chance as any of beating us tonight.  We have never had great luck in Starkville, a few wins here and there, but it's been a bad place for the Hogs mostly.  However, I'll be sitting in my favorite chair watching the big screen rooting the Hogs hopefully to a win tonight.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 03:48:11 pm
Absolutely.  It's very easy to comprehend.
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 02, 2018, 03:34:32 pm

UK 21-10 68%
OM 19-17 53%
Hogs 16-18 47%
Ga 16-19 46%
SC 14-17 45%
A&M 13-17 43%
Bama 14-20 41%
Fl 14-20 40%
LSU 12-21 36%
Vandy 12-22 35%
Tenn 11-23 32%
AU 10-27 27%
MSt 7-24 23%
Mz 0-30

Yeah I'm definitely "Superstitious" of stupidity. Very, very, easy to comprehend.

Fan701

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:01:50 pm
UK 21-10 68%
OM 19-17 53%
Hogs 16-18 47%
Ga 16-19 46%
SC 14-17 45%
A&M 13-17 43%
Bama 14-20 41%
Fl 14-20 40%
LSU 12-21 36%
Vandy 12-22 35%
Tenn 11-23 32%
AU 10-27 27%
MSt 7-24 23%
Mz 0-30

Yeah I'm definitely "Superstitious" of stupidity
You've got me confused here.  Over the past three years we've played 27 true SEC away games and won 15 of them for 15-12, which is second only to Kentucky.  Are you including out of conference games, which are not really comparable since the teams might schedule opponents of variable quality?  For instance we've played teams like Minnesota, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State on the road.  Some of the other schools like Ole Miss often play mid-majors on the road, not the same thing.  I think you have to compare conference records to get a fair reading.  What are these numbers? 

LivingLegends

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:01:50 pm
UK 21-10 68%
OM 19-17 53%
Hogs 16-18 47%
Ga 16-19 46%
SC 14-17 45%
A&M 13-17 43%
Bama 14-20 41%
Fl 14-20 40%
LSU 12-21 36%
Vandy 12-22 35%
Tenn 11-23 32%
AU 10-27 27%
MSt 7-24 23%
Mz 0-30

Yeah I'm definitely "Superstitious" of stupidity. Very, very, easy to comprehend.
You've very eloquently provided road wins/losses over a period of time to provide evidence of some unnamed announcer saying we can't win on the road.  When in reality you've only proven what's actually been said and stated that it's tough to win on the road. 

You've created a strawman argument with moving goalposts on a false claim. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 04:15:47 pm
You've very eloquently provided road wins/losses over a period of time to provide evidence of some unnamed announcer saying we can't win on the road.  When in reality you've only proven what's actually been said and stated that it's tough to win on the road. 

You've created a strawman argument with moving goalposts on a false claim.
You've so eloquently proved the fact that you haven't read the thread and you're making a mountain out of a mole hill by reading one post. For example, the announcer has been named. I could list the other things wrong with your post but I'm not in the business of educating people on message boards. Additionally, I don't throw effort after foolishness.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 04:13:30 pm
You've got me confused here.  Over the past three years we've played 27 true SEC away games and won 15 of them for 15-12, which is second only to Kentucky.  Are you including out of conference games, which are not really comparable since the teams might schedule opponents of variable quality?  For instance we've played teams like Minnesota, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State on the road.  Some of the other schools like Ole Miss often play mid-majors on the road, not the same thing.  I think you have to compare conference records to get a fair reading.  What are these numbers?
Read the thread and you could've saved the time you spent typing that. Unless you read at a 1st grade level it'll take you about 2 minutes.

LivingLegends

I've read the entire thread and nowhere in this train wreck has it been proven where an announcer said we can't win on the road. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 04:13:30 pm

I did it.  Already said earlier in the thread I didn't take the time to exclude ooc games.  In conference SOS varies as well due to the unbalanced schedules we play.  We've racked up a lot of our road wins at AU for example in the Anderson era. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 04:28:15 pm
I've read the entire thread and nowhere in this train wreck has it been proven where an announcer said we can't win on the road.

Because he didn't in that quote.  If something isn't offending them here they make up something.  "Us against the world.  No respect!" 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 02, 2018, 03:15:31 pm
Put the TN on a neutral court and maybe Arkansas comes out ready to play instead of being so sloppy and not into it for most of the first 20 minutes.

We weren't ready to play?  Tennessee's defense and match ups had something to do with it. 

Fan701

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:27:33 pm
Read the thread and you could've saved the time you spent typing that. Unless you read at a 1st grade level it'll take you about 2 minutes.
Ok, genius, you could have simply answered the question without the smart aleck stuff.  Your writing is about as clear as mud, and I don't have a first grader handy to clear it up for me.  For instance you write, "Over the past 3 1/2 years we've been 2014."  What language is that?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 04:28:15 pm
Don't take stuff so literally. The OP explained himself just fine. It's called an inability to comprehend. That's what you have. I think by reading the direct quote that he stated it's very easy to determine that some people believe we struggle on the road or can't win on the road consistently. People like you have no common touch. It's like having a conversation with a robot.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 04:38:40 pm
Ok, genius, you could have simply answered the question without the smart aleck stuff.  Your writing is about as clear as mud, and I don't have a first grader handy to clear it up for me.
I'm on a message board. I'm not a writing a paper. I'll stack my education up with yours. PM me. You millennials are a joke. I consider myself a well rounded guy. I can talk to an illiterate person in the delta or an educated guy too. Some of you people fail at life.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 04:38:40 pm
Ok, genius, you could have simply answered the question without the smart aleck stuff.  Your writing is about as clear as mud, and I don't have a first grader handy to clear it up for me.  For instance you write, "Over the past 3 1/2 years we've been 2014."  What language is that?
It's called an accident. I'm not on here proofreading every word. It's a message board. Grow up.

LivingLegends

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:39:14 pm
Don't take stuff so literally. The OP explained himself just fine. It's called an inability to comprehend. That's what you have. I think by reading the direct quote that he stated it's very easy to determine that some people believe we struggle on the road or can't win on the road consistently. People like you have no common touch. It's like having a conversation with a robot.
I comprehend just fine.  You're the genius that's missing the point.

Fan701

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:42:41 pm
I'm on a message board. I'm not a writing a paper. I'll stack my education up with yours. PM me. You millennials are a joke. I consider myself a well rounded guy. I can talk to an illiterate person in the delta or an educated guy too. Some of you people fail at life.
You've really gone off the rails. 

Razorback_Mack

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 04:45:04 pm
I comprehend just fine.  You're the genius that's missing the point.
If you don't understand what the OP meant and your still searching for an announcer that said "we can't win on the road," verbatim, you have zero clue.

LivingLegends

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:49:44 pm
Ok masta. Let mes knows how's yous wants mes to types and I'll get right on it.
Jesus.  You're an embarrassment

LivingLegends

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 04:53:06 pm
If you don't understand what the OP meant and your still searching for an announcer that said "we can't win on the road," verbatim, you have zero clue.
I'm done with you

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 04:56:16 pm
Jesus.  You're an embarrassment
I just don't wanna misspell or misplace any more words. My net value as a person will drop to 0.

Kevin McPherson

This really is simple, and by the numbers it's clear that Arkansas has not been a poor road/away program in quite awhile.

In the past 3 seasons ('14-15, '15-16, '16-17), Arkansas was good away from home = 22-23 record when combining OOC road (1-6), SEC road (15-12, KY only other winning SEC road record same span), SECT (4-3 with two SECT final appearances, only KY has a better SECT resume in same span), NCAAT (2-2) ... Hogs currently 2-2 away from home, and they finished '13-14 with 4-4 away record ... that's roughly break-even basketball away from BWA/NLR spanning consecutive parts of 5 consecutive seasons.

Prior to that stretch, Arkansas was the worst road/away team in the SEC for a decade, spanning Heath, Pelphrey, and CMA's first 2-&-a-half seasons (in which CMA was 3-28 away from BWA with 2 wins at Auburn and 1 vs MN in Hawaii). That's when the notion that UA struggles mightily away from BWA, (with night-&-day results comparing home and away) was rightfully born, BUT it hasn't been true since mid-point of '13-14 season ... again, last 3 seasons Arkansas is 2nd only to KY in away SEC games, and apparently 3rd behind KY and OM in all away games (although OM picked up road and neutral-site wins over Troy and SELA, for example).

Anybody paid to cover the SEC for the SEC Network should know better than to continue to recite the standard "Arkansas is not very good away from BWA." Obviously, almost all teams aren't as good away from home as they are at home, so why is there a repetitive qualifier for Arkansas? It's just not a true thing, hasn't been in 4 years.

LivingLegends

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on January 02, 2018, 05:28:49 pm
This really is simple, and by the numbers it's clear that Arkansas has not been a poor road/away program in quite awhile.

In the past 3 seasons ('14-15, '15-16, '16-17), Arkansas was good away from home = 22-23 record when combining OOC road (1-6), SEC road (15-12, KY only other winning SEC road record same span), SECT (4-3 with two SECT final appearances, only KY has a better SECT resume in same span), NCAAT (2-2) ... Hogs currently 2-2 away from home, and they finished '13-14 with 4-4 away record ... that's roughly break-even basketball away from BWA/NLR spanning consecutive parts of 5 consecutive seasons.

Prior to that stretch, Arkansas was the worst road/away team in the SEC for a decade, spanning Heath, Pelphrey, and CMA's first 2-&-a-half seasons (in which CMA was 3-28 away from BWA with 2 wins at Auburn and 1 vs MN in Hawaii). That's when the notion that UA struggles mightily away from BWA, (with night-&-day results comparing home and away) was rightfully born, BUT it hasn't been true since mid-point of '13-14 season ... again, last 3 seasons Arkansas is 2nd only to KY in away SEC games, and apparently 3rd behind KY and OM in all away games (although OM picked up road and neutral-site wins over Troy and SELA, for example).

I totally agree with all of this.  At what point do you consider how awful SEC competition was in those past 2-3 years? 

QuoteAnybody paid to cover the SEC for the SEC Network should know better than to continue to recite the standard "Arkansas is not very good away from BWA." Obviously, almost all teams aren't as good away from home as they are at home, so why is there a repetitive qualifier for Arkansas? It's just not a true thing, hasn't been in 4 years

There is an obvious disconnect here.  These people are just stating the obvious.  And you know what?  They're right.  If we play road games like we play home games we're a top 10 team, easy.  Maybe better.  It's going to be way tougher on the road this year then in the past.  And there's a learning curve for every team.   

Kevin

Announcers just reach for the los hanging fruit. This is narrative of a Anderson team. They are not going to do any work to find out the Anderson has changed the narrative
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Fan701

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on January 02, 2018, 05:28:49 pm

Anybody paid to cover the SEC for the SEC Network should know better than to continue to recite the standard "Arkansas is not very good away from BWA." Obviously, almost all teams aren't as good away from home as they are at home, so why is there a repetitive qualifier for Arkansas? It's just not a true thing, hasn't been in 4 years.

Thank you so much, Kevin, for stating the case clearly.  You mentioned it, but I might emphasize again, that the only reason that Ole Miss looks better when you include OOC is due to the fact that they've played a number of mid-majors on the road.  Comparing conference road records is closer to comparing apples with apples.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: LivingLegends on January 02, 2018, 05:47:44 pm
I totally agree with all of this.  At what point do you consider how awful SEC competition was in those past 2-3 years?

There is an obvious disconnect here.  These people are just stating the obvious.  And you know what?  They're right.  If we play road games like we play home games we're a top 10 team, easy.  Maybe better.  It's going to be way tougher on the road this year then in the past.  And there's a learning curve for every team.

* How awful was SEC competition the past 2-3 years? League got 5 teams into the Dance both seasons that Arkansas made it, with 3 teams making the Elite Eight last year. Not one of the top 2-3 leagues in the most-recent 3-year span, but certainly not as "awful" as fans and even pundits have claimed.

* "They're right" only if they regurgitate the same lame, obvious line when talking about all SEC teams not named Kentucky. But they don't. If you go back to CMA's 1st 3-plus seasons, ESPN/SECN loved running that woeful road record graphic during games (even home games) ... but we haven't seen any graphics about the turnaround in the program overall, or specific to road/away games -- at least I haven't. What I have heard every season, though, is that Arkansas struggles away from BWA ... again, relative to what most other teams do in away games, Arkansas has actually been ahead of the curve. Again, it's an old, now-false narrative.

Atlhogfan1

The narrative goes back to when Anderson was at UAB. His teams have had some horrid road performances nearly every season of his career.  Often multiple. He feasted off of bottom dwellers on the road at UAB. Our road issues didn't end halfway through the 13-14 season unless you ignore the end of that season completely - Tuscaloosa and Berkeley.   

It has changed in two of the last 3 seasons although Houstons still are happening. I look for 2 wins this week and a good road record this season due to talent and schedule. The narrative should be put in the past mostly for now.

I still think the quote was taken out of context and spun dishonestly especially by certain posters in this thread. 

Fan701

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on January 02, 2018, 06:11:58 pm
* How awful was SEC competition the past 2-3 years? League got 5 teams into the Dance both seasons that Arkansas made it, with 3 teams making the Elite Eight last year. Not one of the top 2-3 leagues in the most-recent 3-year span, but certainly not as "awful" as fans and even pundits have claimed.

* "They're right" only if they regurgitate the same lame, obvious line when talking about all SEC teams not named Kentucky. But they don't. If you go back to CMA's 1st 3-plus seasons, ESPN/SECN loved running that woeful road record graphic during games (even home games) ... but we haven't seen any graphics about the turnaround in the program overall, or specific to road/away games -- at least I haven't. What I have heard every season, though, is that Arkansas struggles away from BWA ... again, relative to what most other teams do in away games, Arkansas has actually been ahead of the curve. Again, it's an old, now-false narrative.
A lot of the so-called "experts" and sportscasters aren't really that familiar with teams that aren't named Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or the like.  They've latched onto a narrative about the SEC's ineptitude at basketball and about Arkansas' being a bad road team that really doesn't fit the facts any longer, but they haven't revised their narrative.  If we keep winning maybe they'll have to!

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2018, 06:20:58 pm
The narrative goes back to when Anderson was at UAB. His teams have had some horrid road performances nearly every season of his career.  Often multiple. He feasted off of bottom dwellers on the road at UAB. Our road issues didn't end halfway through the 13-14 season unless you ignore the end of that season completely - Tuscaloosa and Berkeley.   

It has changed in two of the last 3 seasons although Houstons still are happening. I look for 2 wins this week and a good road record this season due to talent and schedule. The narrative should be put in the past mostly for now.

I still think the quote was taken out of context and spun dishonestly especially by certain posters in this thread.
Lots of teams turn in horrid road performances every season.  We're not peculiar in that regard.  Winning on the road is hard.  On the road, you're going to be embarrassed on occasion.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 06:30:43 pm
Lots of teams turn in horrid road performances every season.  We're not peculiar in that regard.  Winning on the road is hard.  On the road, you're going to be embarrassed on occasion.

I may post the history for you sometime. Or just PM it to you. Not going to look back through posts tonight and find it.   You can make your own judgment.   

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2018, 06:38:22 pm
I may post the history for you sometime. Or just PM it to you. Not going to look back through posts tonight and find it.   You can make your own judgment.
Sure post it, but it's pretty useless unless you put it in context with how other similar teams do on the road.  Yes, we've had horrible blow-outs on the road over the years.  You can look them up and post them, but unless you show me that over the years Anderson has done significantly worse than other coaches at similar institutions it won't mean that much.  You just remember our road embarrassments better because you're an Arkansas fan.  Let's hope tonight isn't one of those nights when everything goes wrong like our last trip to Starkville!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fan701 link=topic=654791.msg11304046#msg11304046 date=1514940569You just remember our road embarrassments better because you're an Arkansas fan. 
/quote]
It would be his entire history illustrating where the narrative began.   Not doing from memory or emotion.

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2018, 06:52:47 pm
[quote author=Fan701 link=topic=654791.msg11304046#msg11304046 date=1514940569You just remember our road embarrassments better because you're an Arkansas fan. 

It would be his entire history illustrating where the narrative began.   Not doing from memory or emotion.
Understood. But, again, what does it mean if other coaches in the same conference have a similar history?  I know MA has had some tough years on the road, but I think you're trying to tell me that his lifetime record is exceptionally bad compared to other similarly situated coaches.  You can't make that case without comparing his history to others at similar institutions, playing similar competition.  Even considering margin of loss, you'd have to normalize the data based on style of play and team quality to come up with some unbiased measure of a coach's relative skill on the road.  Just listing his road embarrassments over the years won't really tell you much about his skill relative to others.  For one thing part of his career was spent in the Big 12, which was at that time, and maybe still is, the premier basketball conference.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 07:09:34 pm
Understood. But, again, what does it mean if other coaches in the same conference have a similar history?  I know MA has had some tough years on the road, but I think you're trying to tell me that his lifetime record is exceptionally bad compared to other similarly situated coaches.  You can't make that case without comparing his history to others at similar institutions, playing similar competition.  Even considering margin of loss, you'd have to normalize the data based on style of play and team quality to come up with some unbiased measure of a coach's relative skill on the road.  Just listing his road embarrassments over the years won't really tell you much about his skill relative to others.  For one thing part of his career was spent in the Big 12, which was at that time, and maybe still is, the premier basketball conference.

All good points. Will see if I get some downtime and we can look through it. May turn out for the positive.