Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin just destroyed all you fake fans

Started by grumpypenguin, September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 04:51:24 pm
again, have I missed something?  Is there an epidemic of people that can not yell and sit at the same time? Do they go silent when there backside is pressed against the bleacher seat?  Do they have some sort of nerve  affliction that causes muteness when they sit?

Jesus, you just don't get it.
Go away, batin'

ChitownHawg

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:13:50 pm
if you wanna watch the game like its some kind of high class cocktail party then take yourself and those floral panties back to the house and watch it on the couch

High class cocktail parties have sofas not couches.   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: RedRock on September 24, 2013, 05:03:21 pm
The club seats have made people soft

And we love it! I stand 75% of the actual playing time, and yell as do most in our section.

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 05:05:29 pm

You are right, I don't get why someone has to stand all the time at a game. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bamaHOGfan13

I never sit when I go to games. I paid my money just like everyone else did. Ask me to sit, Ill tell you to stand. Go home to drink your wine. I paid to watch a football game and I will stand if I want. I sit at halftime. Peace.
Retired Air Force Veteran. 100% HOG fan!

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.

Stand up on your seat if you cant see...stand up there and YELL,
Put the kid on his seat or on your shoulders...

Standing on your seat at a HOG game is a birthright...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The Marmot on September 24, 2013, 04:28:11 pm
Good God. Who wants fans like that? Or wants to be associated with that? I don't.

I'm not scared of any teams players, But I don't have to try and fight them at their bus to prove such.

What a bad example of 'fans'.
At no point did I indicate this was cool. It was Michael Smith's story and I understood his point. He wasn't asking Hogs fans to try to fight the other team's players. He was trying to show Hog fans that players respect other fans willing to go to bat for their players. That would include showing up Saturday even if it's supposed to rain. That would include sticking around (as long as the game is in doubt) even if there's a delay.

Jim

Mood killers.

DRRS is filled with it.  Petit Jean meats, AT&T (w/out mentioning their crappy service), blaaahhhhhhhh music, walk of fame prior to the Hogs coming out, stodgy fans, drunk fans, know-it-all fans, pay-for-it-all fans, dont-pay-for-any-of-it fans, other team fans, overusing the Hog call, underusing it, lightning, weather, heat, cold...

It's a giant plate of goulash most days and unless you've got an appetite for enduring emotional indigestion, the Razorback crowds are always gonna be like this.

Conversely, I've lived in Columbia, MO for 8 years and attended all kinds of Tiger games and they are NOTHING like seeing the Razorbacks play.  A lot of times you could've gotten a good 3 hr nap in and that's being kind.

Razorback stadium and it's fans can become a real force but its gonna have to be a collective effort.  Sometimes we (the fans) are gonna have to do the work & pick the players up.  Other times, the players are gonna need to put together some complete games to keep us up.  EVERY time, the staff of DRRS has got to start things rolling by making the rafters quake.  We need a genuine environment of hostility and cause the opposing team to wonder if the barricade is gonna hold back the home team's wave of aggression.  Those ridiculous "text which song you wanna sing in the 2nd quarter" promos are worthless and completely deflate a crowd.

The brain trust that decide what's appropriate for "mood" at DRRS needs to be fired and replaced with some real genuine out-of-the-box thinkers. 

And if that means we gotta throw snowballs at Santa, so be it.

bvillepig

I do respect the people behind me who want to sit however I also respect the ones who want to stand. Make some noise either way if able.

Here is the deal,  there is one of the worlds largest TV s in that stadium so I dont know of anyone who cant see what going on standing or sitting.

I have been to Michigan and nobody sits. Heck the little slab of aluminum that goes around and around the stadium to sit your butt on is not very big.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 24, 2013, 04:01:00 pm
You must have really loved the Arkansas fans burning the Auburn van at Fayetteville.

A fan did not do that. It was a young teenage girl that lived in the neighborhood that did it on a dare from her friends. Hog fans were actually in the stadium watching the game  :razorback:

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Expos22 on September 24, 2013, 02:06:39 pm
LSU stadium LOL one of the worst home spread teams in the last 10 years

They may not be much against the spread, but they seem to be excellent against opponents.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

56Hog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 24, 2013, 02:05:28 pm
What I hate, is this idea that somehow Arkansas fans are any different than anyone else.  Ya, I bet the crowd is crazy in College Station right now.  Or at LSU.  Or wherever else the home team is in the Top 25 and the fanbase has hope.  Arkansas has tremendous home crowds in '10 and '11.

Hmmm, in the spirit of Jen's Karma did Mike NAIL say anything about the often lackadaisical effort of Arkansas' spirit groups is organizing and sustaining fan energy?

That issue aside, it would be a tactical error to invest much energy venting at the Aggies.  The Punk, his coach, and their mates lives off that stuff.  It's sufficient to be loud during audibles.

The objective Saturday is to fight fatigue, especially on the part of Arkansas' defense.  That means emotionally pushing our team to keep fighting, not verbally challenging the enemy.  It will be more important to be loud and encouraging later as the game wears on.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:13:50 pm
if you wanna watch the game like its some kind of high class cocktail party then take yourself and those floral panties back to the house and watch it on the couch

This.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 02:41:31 pm
excuse me if my education and societal status prevent me from getting drunk on meister brau and trying to fight 18 year old football players...

Education and societal status have NOTHING to do with drunkenness and willing to fight.

And if you think having societal status and/money means someone is better than others in this society you are DEAD wrong.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GoHogs#1

He don't get it because he doesn't go to the games, but as you can see it don't stop him from telling other people what they should do at the games.
Go Hogs

PorcineSublime

No, actually he does. He gets that you are not less a fan because you sit down. If you sit down and text your grammy about what you are having for Sunday dinner, then yeah. But standing or sitting only affects fanhood in the mind of those who think they have it all figured out and no one else does. I promise you I can yell just as loud sitting as standing, and I can promise you that no one on the team knows if the folks in 506 or 507 are standing or sitting during the game.

I have always said that if it is 17-17 in the 3rd quarter and it is 3 and 8 for the other team you are standing yelling your head off I will never tell you to sit, in fact I will be standing beside you. But if we are on offense, it's second and three at our 27, and you are just standing with your arms folded, then I get it what it means to be a fan, and you aren't it. At that point you are just being "that guy". (And when I say you, I am address a collective you not you personally, as I have no idea of your personality. You may be an awesome person who is never rude.)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Stang1970

Quote from: Camera Hog on September 24, 2013, 01:19:13 pm
Problem is they've jacked ticket prices up to the point where a LOT of the "rowdy" fans can't make it to the game. Need to make the corner sections $20 tickets. Going to lose the fans if they keep gouging.

Please dont talk about the ticket prices to Arkansas games without looking at the other teams.  Ours are very cheap compared to most other teams in the conference.

Anderson

Quote from: PorcineSublime on September 24, 2013, 06:48:51 pm
No, actually he does. He gets that you are not less a fan because you sit down. If you sit down and text your grammy about what you are having for Sunday dinner, then yeah. But standing or sitting only affects fanhood in the mind of those who think they have it all figured out and no one else does. I promise you I can yell just as loud sitting as standing, and I can promise you that no one on the team knows if the folks in 506 or 507 are standing or sitting during the game.

I have always said that if it is 17-17 in the 3rd quarter and it is 3 and 8 for the other team you are standing yelling your head off I will never tell you to sit, in fact I will be standing beside you. But if we are on offense, it's second and three at our 27, and you are just standing with your arms folded, then I get it what it means to be a fan, and you aren't it. At that point you are just being "that guy". (And when I say you, I am address a collective you not you personally, as I have no idea of your personality. You may be an awesome person who is never rude.)

the sad reality is that fan noise really has little impact on the game.  the silent snap count has all but rendered fan noise obsolete in the sense that it somehow 'rattles' the other team. 

OldCoot

A troll thread and because it mentioned Mike Irwin, it stays in MMQB.

BleedsRazorbackRed

Sivad

So if we contribute money, buy tickets, travel and go to Razorback games;
but don't stand the entire game in front of other fans who need or want to sit at times,
and we don't attack and try to fight the visiting team's players till the police intervene,
then we are "fake fans"?
What a hoot.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 24, 2013, 01:18:40 pm
I see your point. Next time maybe ask the guy if he would like to trade places so your kid can watch. We have done that before. Most hog fans are polite and really accommodating.

Good suggestion! 

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorcineSublime on September 24, 2013, 06:48:51 pm

I don't stand all the time. He's saying there is absolutely no reason to stand, period. I disagree.
Go away, batin'

PorcineSublime

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 07:54:11 pm
I don't stand all the time. He's saying there is absolutely no reason to stand, period. I disagree.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have seen too many Cameron Crazies wannabees on here and wrongfully lumped you in. Getting old has made me cranky. I am one step away from telling kids to get off my lawn.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

qbrew

Quote from: razorbacker3 on September 24, 2013, 04:19:56 pm
Learn to read. As I said I have no problem with standing when everyone is standing(usually do to something exciting. ) But if your standing and blocking others just because you want to, your a bad fan cause your more concerned with getting your way than being into the game . You buy a SEAT dummy, not a place to stand. You can do that in the walkways and not block others. And BTW I am disabled and have a hard time standing. When you have gone to as many games as I have and get as old as I am you might develop some class and consideration for others. Nobody gripes about standing during a exciting play, but standing the whole game is nothing more than being an A--.

I can read well enough to tell you that's not what you said. "I got no problem with standing when the people in front of you stand."  If there is action, I'm going to stand whether the people in front of me stand or not. My seats at both stadiums are very near the front, so there is rarely anyone in front of me standing.

If YOU had read my post above, I HAVE been asked to sit during an exciting play. I also said I would gladly accommodate someone who is disabled or elderly or a kid. If you say "hey, I am disabled, can you sit, or move?" absolutly I will. But if you are asking me to sit because you want to sit, no. BTW, there is handicapped seating available where you will not be blocked. Let me repeat. There is handicapped seating available.

qbrew

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 04:34:57 pm
But by standing in front of someone you are dictating how they can or can not participate they way they want to.  Sitting hinders no other fans, stanind though certainly does.
No. I'm not asking someone sitting to stand. That is not dictating. Standing at a football game, in the STANDS is not an unusual or surprising occurrence. But since you said you don't go to games, I don't really understand why your opinion is relevant. I personally am really nice to people that genuinely need me to sit or move. But the a-holes that yell at me to sit because they are just plain lazy grind my gears. They might not be comfortable standing, and I'm not comfortable folding myself into a bleacher seat rubbing hips with a stranger.

Handicapped seating is available.  :razorback:

kingofdequeen

Quote from: PorcineSublime on September 24, 2013, 08:49:15 pm
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have seen too many Cameron Crazies wannabees on here and wrongfully lumped you in. Getting old has made me cranky. I am one step away from telling kids to get off my lawn.

i tend to stand for most of the game b/c i'm amped up and want to.  I don't like the stand up/sit down/stand up/sit down ho hum crap that goes on in DWRRS.

You actually FEEL a collective huff of air as everyone takes their seats.  it's depressing.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: qbrew on September 24, 2013, 10:01:37 pm
No. I'm not asking someone sitting to stand. That is not dictating. Standing at a football game, in the STANDS is not an unusual or surprising occurrence. But since you said you don't go to games, I don't really understand why your opinion is relevant. I personally am really nice to people that genuinely need me to sit or move. But the a-holes that yell at me to sit because they are just plain lazy grind my gears. They might not be comfortable standing, and I'm not comfortable folding myself into a bleacher seat rubbing hips with a stranger.

Handicapped seating is available.  :razorback:

i stand for most of the game at bud walton too, b/c that place is SUPPOSED to be amped up.

sadly, it's like a church service as well.

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 07:54:11 pm

I never said that.   Hogs on D , 2nd or 3rd and long, close game, yea, all hog fans should yell as loud as they can, and everyone is probably going to stand up.  I am talking about the idea that has developed that if you don't stand th whole game you should are not a fan, and should just stay home. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Marmot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 24, 2013, 05:19:35 pm
At no point did I indicate this was cool. It was Michael Smith's story and I understood his point. He wasn't asking Hogs fans to try to fight the other team's players. He was trying to show Hog fans that players respect other fans willing to go to bat for their players. That would include showing up Saturday even if it's supposed to rain. That would include sticking around (as long as the game is in doubt) even if there's a delay.

Well he used a horrible, irrelevant example.

If he could have cited a time when he saw a full stadium at 9 pm after rain and lightning delays, then he might have a point.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

tophawg19

one thing . the players on the field don't hear fans in the stands . they are to focused on the game and each play . it does help the ones on the sidelines . it used to effect the offense on snaps but most have found ways around it. However it can effect a young qb /wr combo's so that is why you yell on defense , but don't yell when your team has the ball .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Carl Lazlo

Have you nitwits ever watched a road team qb, under a loud and hostile crowd, try to make an audible at the line of scrimmage?  It's not all peaches and cream like some of you think

OldCoot

September 25, 2013, 06:12:51 pm #182 Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:05:56 pm by Dude
Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 24, 2013, 04:01:00 pm
You must have really loved the Arkansas fans burning the Auburn van at Fayetteville.

Wasnt Arkansas fans. Was local hoodrats.

And YOU or anyone else don't get to define what a fan is.  Luckily since we are in the U.S.A., each individual gets to make that distinction.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 07:09:06 pm

the sad reality is that fan noise really has little impact on the game.  the silent snap count has all but rendered fan noise obsolete in the sense that it somehow 'rattles' the other team. 

Yep, add those silent audibles to the list too huh.  You really think the silent snap count is rather new? 

If anything has helped, it's the stand up and look at the coach to get the new play once you're in formation trend that's going on.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: bigpigonthehill on September 24, 2013, 03:56:59 pm
I grew up watching Teddy Barnes and Dean Barnes in Lepanto. Marked Tree threatened to break their legs because this pair was so good. Teddy went on to play running back and then flanker for the Razorbacks and caugt that pass to deflate the hopes of Texas A and M. We beat them that year which was one of the best upsets by the Razorbacks in my lifetime.
My highlight when I was growing up is hearing people from Lepanto saying how great Teddy Barnes is. Razorback coaches attending the Lepanto/MT game. And watching Marked Tree shutting him down. Joe Purdy scooping and scoring was a thing of beauty.