Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin just destroyed all you fake fans

Started by grumpypenguin, September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpypenguin

That man is the voice of reason and just took a good number of our fans to the doghouse. He's right. As a fanbase we need to get more rowdy when dealing with the opposing teams. Need to stop this bull of not showing up to games because it's not a pretty day outside. Or telling people to sitdown during the middle of a game or not to boo the other team too much. Frank that darn. When Johnny Football and A&M tries to enter that stadium we should make it the longest walk of their lives. Make that game the longest 3 hours of their lives

hogsanity

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm
That man is the voice of reason and just took a good number of our fans to the doghouse. He's right. As a fanbase we need to get more rowdy when dealing with the opposing teams. Need to stop this bull of not showing up to games because it's not a pretty day outside. Or telling people to sitdown during the middle of a game or not to boo the other team too much. Frank that darn. When Johnny Football and A&M tries to enter that stadium we should make it the longest walk of their lives. Make that game the longest 3 hours of their lives

being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

grumpypenguin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.

if you wanna watch the game like its some kind of high class cocktail party then take yourself and those floral panties back to the house and watch it on the couch

hogsanity

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:13:50 pm
if you wanna watch the game like its some kind of high class cocktail party then take yourself and those floral panties back to the house and watch it on the couch

I want to be able to WATCH the game, and I find that hard to do if someone is standing in front of me the whole time.  Unlike most aparently I am able to yell and sit at the same time.

Oh, as for A&M, JM played as a FR in Tuscaloosa, so I dont care how loud DWRRS is, it won't compare to that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig Latin

yeah, i guess he was talking to you hogsanity.  i grew up going and not being able to see.  my dad just made the best of it for me and i enjoyed looking to him to ask what happened.  trust me, the kid dont care as much as you do. 
Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

Pig Latin

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig Latin on September 24, 2013, 01:16:13 pm
yeah, i guess he was talking to you hogsanity.  i grew up going and not being able to see.  my dad just made the best of it for me and i enjoyed looking to him to ask what happened.  trust me, the kid dont care as much as you do.

my kid is 6ft tall now, so I was not talking about my kid, just kids in general at the game.  But, why should a kid have to ask what happened, those around should be courteous enough to let him SEE what is happening.

ShadowTheHedgehog

being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call in front of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.

I see your point. Next time maybe ask the guy if he would like to trade places so your kid can watch. We have done that before. Most hog fans are polite and really accommodating.

clew

Problem is they've jacked ticket prices up to the point where a LOT of the "rowdy" fans can't make it to the game. Need to make the corner sections $20 tickets. Going to lose the fans if they keep gouging.
Pure as the dawn

Pig Latin

you know what, you are right and i am wrong.  shall i bring the crumpets or tea to the next gathering?

hogsanity

If Mike wants to call out people, it needs to be those that have been bashing Derby all week, talking about how bad he is, or those that after FOUR WHOLE GAMES have concluded that CBB cant get it done here. 

Justifiable Hogicide

Those can ruin the game experience for many fans around them for sure.

Kevin

that is what i thought. he went after the cbb bashers
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Iwastherein1969

if ANY team should suffer the wrath of the Arkansas fans this year it is AGGY....they beat us 58-10 and was trying to score until the very end....we REALLY need this game as it would put an end to Johnny Football's legend but more importantly give our coaching staff open doors to recruiting Texas....RIGHT NOW, AS I TYPE, and into this December, there will NEVER be an easier time to get top shelf Texas High school talent...so 72,000 hillbillies who will be at the game this Saturday, remind 2013 AGGY what a terrible beating that 1975 AGGY (ranked #2 and undefeated) because of the fans and players working in concert....in other words, we need, deserve, want our "TEDDY BARNES" moment...come on Hog fans, let's turn back the hands of time
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

DeltaBoy

I am glad that Mike Irwin is back at Hogville.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig Latin on September 24, 2013, 01:21:11 pm
you know what, you are right and i am wrong.  shall i bring the crumpets or tea to the next gathering?

I don't like tea, and I prefer chocolate chip scones, but only fresh out of the over when my wife bakes them.

grumpypenguin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:18:05 pm
my kid is 6ft tall now, so I was not talking about my kid, just kids in general at the game.  But, why should a kid have to ask what happened, those around should be courteous enough to let him SEE what is happening.

The best games I went to when I was younger I couldn't see half the game. Being apart of an electric crowd is a much more awesome experience

DeltaBoy

I attended at ton of games in LR in the 1980's and it was a blast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 24, 2013, 01:22:53 pm
if ANY team should suffer the wrath of the Arkansas fans this year it is AGGY....they beat us 58-10 and was trying to score until the very end....we REALLY need this game as it would put an end to Johnny Football's legend but more importantly give our coaching staff open doors to recruiting Texas....RIGHT NOW, AS I TYPE, and into this December, there will NEVER be an easier time to get top shelf Texas High school talent...so 72,000 hillbillies who will be at the game this Saturday, remind 2013 AGGY what a terrible beating that 1975 AGGY (ranked #2 and undefeated) because of the fans and players working in concert....in other words, we need, deserve, want our "TEDDY BARNES" moment...come on Hog fans, let's turn back the hands of time

Excellent point to make. 

Sanity, if I am the guy in front of you standing, tap me on my cane and I will sure let your kid stand in front of me.  Just ask.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GoHogs#1

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 24, 2013, 01:18:40 pm
I see your point. Next time maybe ask the guy if he would like to trade places so your kid can watch. We have done that before. Most hog fans are polite and really accommodating.

He's got No point because he don't go to the games. Oh wait, he read it on the Internet so it must be true
Go Hogs

PonderinHog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on September 24, 2013, 01:26:52 pm
Excellent point to make. 

Sanity, if I am the guy in front of you standing, tap me on my cane and I will sure let your kid stand in front of me.  Just ask.
But what would he compalin about then?

hogsanity

Quote from: Camera Hog on September 24, 2013, 01:19:13 pm
Problem is they've jacked ticket prices up to the point where a LOT of the "rowdy" fans can't make it to the game. Need to make the corner sections $20 tickets. Going to lose the fans if they keep gouging.

just cut out a couple six packs a week to make up the difference in what they were and what they are now..  Or packs of smokes.  OR something else. For me I could brown bag it every day for lunch instead of buying lunch somewhere.

superior_wang

all that plus, say, TAMU hanging 50 on the hogs , making your kid cry , and paying 400 bucks for the privilege

hobhog

Quote from: superior_wang on September 24, 2013, 01:34:22 pm
all that plus, say, TAMU hanging 50 on the hogs , making your kid cry , and paying 400 bucks for the privilege

That's fine. This game is not for you. Got it.

No reason to be such a downer- I'll go, you stay home, and everyone will be happy.

Tripod1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:21:17 pm
If Mike wants to call out people, it needs to be those that have been bashing Derby all week, talking about how bad he is, or those that after FOUR WHOLE GAMES have concluded that CBB cant get it done here. 
I agree with this comment.  I've always had a lot of respect for Mike and his constant level headed approach through all the hard times and coaching changes along the way.  I do have a problem with him or any other reporter that bashes fans for what they may or may not do.  I prefer to sit and yell and support the hogs but I also understand that is not the way the game is watched so I have no problem standing.  I have a serious problem with drunk fans, know it all fans and fans that won't stay in their seat but constantly walk in front of me while the game is going on.  I also have a problem with sports reporters that don't pay the high prices for tickets, sit in the press box with all the amenities there, both pretty and bad days and even get paid for going to the game telling me a fan how I should act as if I'm not a good enough fan.  I often wonder how many games and how many dollars a sports reporter would spend if he was just a fan and it wasn't his job. I am one of the lucky ones as far as travel dollars go in that I can go to the game and come home all in a day so my cost is 100-150 to see a game.  Hogville is great at letting me know just how bad a fan I am if I don't fit into a certain box.  As I have said in other posts, I went to my first hog game back in 1957 and have been a fan ever since.  If I don't fit in the criteria most on here want then I guess I'll just continue to be a bad fan.  Mike I respect you but please be careful in calling out PAYING fans. Or as the OP titled his thread, FAKE fans.

The_Iceman

If certain fans continue to have the attitude that you go to the game to be entertained by the team and watch them play, instead of going to the game and being an active participant and do whatever it takes to help the team win, then we will never get where we want to be.

hogsanity

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:24:08 pm
The best games I went to when I was younger I couldn't see half the game. Being apart of an electric crowd is a much more awesome experience

that was back when the hogs were on tv maybe once a season, so seeing them in person, even for only half a agme was still more than you got to see them otherwise.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Just install WATCHESPN on your iPhone and give it to the lil kids so they can sit, yell, be part of the crowd but don't have to get up and down if they don't want to ;) Works great.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:15:46 pm
I want to be able to WATCH the game, and I find that hard to do if someone is standing in front of me the whole time.  Unlike most aparently I am able to yell and sit at the same time.

Oh, as for A&M, JM played as a FR in Tuscaloosa, so I dont care how loud DWRRS is, it won't compare to that.

We should probably not make any noise then, since we can't beat Bama. Maybe we could weird them out by sitting the whole time and being completely quiet.

Sucks for me though, my seats are right behind the aTm fans and they stand the entire game. Oh well.
Go away, batin'

PonderinHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 01:44:51 pm
We should probably not make any noise then, since we can't beat Bama. Maybe we could weird them out by sitting the whole time and being completely quiet.

Sucks for me though, my seats are right behind the aTm fans and they stand the entire game. Oh well.
Be sure to tell them to sit down several times and maybe throw an empty at them.

arkbadger

I heard the segment that Mike did and I more or less agree with it.  the one thing I kind of had a problem with was calling out people for leaving a game rather than sit through a lightening delay.  I've done that more than once and it is pretty awful, especially at a late starting game.  I'm not afraid to admit that I skipped the Kentucky game last year because I knew what was coming, and look how that ended.  I sat through the two delays at the ole piss game 5 or 6 years ago and it was one of the longest days I can remember.  I also sat through the entire Alabama game last year.  Sitting through the rain is one thing, sitting through a lightening delayed game where you have no idea how long you are going to sit there and not watch football is totally different.
You can keep that skoal baby.

cosmodrum

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 24, 2013, 01:47:25 pm
Be sure to tell them to sit down several times and maybe throw an empty at them.

I'd have to yell to get their attention, so that's out.
Go away, batin'

Expos22

Quote from: arkbadger on September 24, 2013, 01:48:23 pm
I heard the segment that Mike did and I more or less agree with it.  the one thing I kind of had a problem with was calling out people for leaving a game rather than sit through a lightening delay.  I've done that more than once and it is pretty awful, especially at a late starting game.  I'm not afraid to admit that I skipped the Kentucky game last year because I knew what was coming, and look how that ended.  I sat through the two delays at the ole piss game 5 or 6 years ago and it was one of the longest days I can remember.  I also sat through the entire Alabama game last year.  Sitting through the rain is one thing, sitting through a lightening delayed game where you have no idea how long you are going to sit there and not watch football is totally different.
Anyone who sits through a lightening delay is a moron.  No offense Mike, well kinda

PonderinHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 01:49:11 pm
I'd have to yell to get their attention, so that's out.
Aren't they into hand signals ???  I can think of one...

Expos22

It always amazes me people that think the only way you can make noise if you are standing. 

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 24, 2013, 01:41:34 pm
......being an active participant and do whatever it takes to help the team win......

whats funny is some people ACTUALLY BELIEVE that is what they are doing by yelling at the refs or screaming at the coaches what play they SHOULD have called.

tophawg19

Mike has no buisness telling anyone how to be a fan. he is paid to attend and has full amenities available in the press box. he isn't down in the stands with the drunks so he is in no way qualified to critize people paying to be there. that said he also misses the wild fun of being in a group of crazy fans
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Expos22

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2013, 01:55:21 pm
Mike has no buisness telling anyone how to be a fan. he is paid to attend and has full amenities available in the press box. he isn't down in the stands with the drunks so he is in no way qualified to critize people paying to be there. that said he also misses the wild fun of being in a group of crazy fans
Exactly

spe450

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 01:44:51 pm

You have no buffer zone between you and the opponents fans. 

hogcods8

I agree with the others who say that Mike has no business telling me how to act at a game. He sits in an air conditioned press box. I prefer to sit, and stand on 3rd downs and other tense moments. I pay the price for a ticket, so therefore I reserve the right to sit when I want. If he has a problem with it, oh well. I dont give a %$&*%?. I get really get tired of some of these goofballs who define what a "true" fan really is.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2013, 01:55:21 pm

He was going on about the Rutgers stadium... well, when they started their come back and Arkansas fell apart, you better believe that stadium was loud. There wasn't much going on in the 1-3 quarters.  I will say this... once the crowd got going, the stadium director did a great job keeping the energy flowing.   

What I hate, is this idea that somehow Arkansas fans are any different than anyone else.  Ya, I bet the crowd is crazy in College Station right now.  Or at LSU.  Or wherever else the home team is in the Top 25 and the fanbase has hope.  Arkansas has tremendous home crowds in '10 and '11. 

When any program gets down in the dumps, the fanbase will follow. 

The Divine Swine

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:18:05 pm

yeah, but that makes too much common sense for some people. Some people will just choose to be inconsiderate of others. Part of the problem with America today. Everyone wants wants wants, but when it comes to being considerate for someone elses sake then they say it is their "right" to be a jackarse and be rude.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Expos22

LSU stadium LOL one of the worst home spread teams in the last 10 years

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:15:46 pm

I didn't sit once in '75, and neither did anyone else.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm

Agreed. Fans who sit down bother me.

The problem is that we as fans still have that "Showtime" mentality of Petrino. No one gets loud when a RB gains four yards. As exciting as that was it's gone now, and driving down the field needs to pump our fans up to help demoralize the defense.

jmb1973

Looks like you enjoyed at least an hour of it!!!

clew

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:28:56 pm
just cut out a couple six packs a week to make up the difference in what they were and what they are now..  Or packs of smokes.  OR something else. For me I could brown bag it every day for lunch instead of buying lunch somewhere.
have never smoked, don't drink much, haven't eaten out this month, no cable, and I'm still broke. Haha.
Pure as the dawn

Expos22

Quote from: Camera Hog on September 24, 2013, 02:13:31 pm
have never smoked, don't drink much, haven't eaten out this month, no cable, and I'm still broke. Haha.
That must suck

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2013, 02:08:58 pm
I didn't sit once in '75, and neither did anyone else.

And I will do it again.  So will you.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hogsanity

Quote from: jmb1973 on September 24, 2013, 02:10:51 pm
Looks like you enjoyed at least an hour of it!!!

yep, the pregame activities when no one else is paying attention, usually they are out trying to down a couple last hits of booze, the band at half time, and the postgame.