Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1190 The Fan

Started by GrantMerrill, April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

Quote from: SLC on May 03, 2008, 06:51:44 pm
Hmmmm.  Anyone know this?  Please feel free to PM if you are concerned about posting anything public. 

I heard on channel 7 that 103.7 Buzz picked him up. Just another reason for me not to listen that station!  8)

eddyhog

Quote from: SLC on April 30, 2008, 09:18:30 pm
What did happen to Bo's show? 
Bo got dumped by AM 1030 in favor of Arnell and Wally. Bo changed the time of his show and went back to 1190. He's now on 1pm to 4 pm. The Buzz in Little Rock picked him up in that time slot. Bo should have canned Clay the snake and Otis the marble mouth a long time ago. They are hurting his show big time. Bo is ok but those two guys belong in Mississippi with their hero Houston Dale Nutt.

josh_sec33

Will the afternoon changes have any effect on the Fort Smith afternoon lineup?

Cause I REALLY hate listening to DTS never talk about anything west of Russellville.

That's why my radio always moves to a classic rock station that picks up Wally and Shawn at 5 pm.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

eddyhog

Quote from: josh_sec33 on May 03, 2008, 10:44:38 pm
Will the afternoon changes have any effect on the Fort Smith afternoon lineup?

Cause I REALLY hate listening to DTS never talk about anything west of Russellville.

That's why my radio always moves to a classic rock station that picks up Wally and Shawn at 5 pm.
I think Bo will be on 93.6 in Ft. Smith until 4pm but you might check on that. No one should ever have to listen Rick. I'd rather listen to The Colonel do Dial A Trade on KURM than put up with Mr. Sunshine. I have an overwhelming urge to bash my head against a wall at the sound of his voice.

Feralhog

Quote from: eddyhog on May 03, 2008, 10:52:29 pm
I think Bo will be on 93.6 in Ft. Smith until 4pm but you might check on that. No one should ever have to listen Rick. I'd rather listen to The Colonel do Dial A Trade on KURM than put up with Mr. Sunshine. I have an overwhelming urge to bash my head against a wall at the sound of his voice.
Ok Mister, that's enough.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogman64

Drop Drive Time Sports and Pick up Shawn and Wally...........That will signal to everyone that you are serious about improving your  station.......DTS is the absolute worst.

eddyhog

Quote from: hogman64 on May 03, 2008, 11:15:24 pm
Drop Drive Time Sports and Pick up Shawn and Wally...........That will signal to everyone that you are serious about improving your  station.......DTS is the absolute worst.
Anybody remember when that guy Buck would call up on Press Row and do his Double R impersonation ? The Sonic blast Thursday or whatever. He'd do all the voices including Rick and that doofus high school expert Rainwater has. Funny stuff right there.

1836hog

Quote from: eddyhog on May 03, 2008, 09:36:26 pm
Bo got dumped by AM 1030 in favor of Arnell and Wally. Bo changed the time of his show and went back to 1190. He's now on 1pm to 4 pm. The Buzz in Little Rock picked him up in that time slot. Bo should have canned Clay the snake and Otis the marble mouth a long time ago. They are hurting his show big time. Bo is ok but those two guys belong in Mississippi with their hero Houston Dale Nutt.

Isn't this a better deal for Bo?  He moves to afternoon, allowing him to coach his kids little league teams like he's always talking about.  And he gets picked up by an FM station that broadcast throughout most of central Arkansas.  No telling how many additional listeners he'll pick up. To me it sounds like a move Bo would want, not something forced on him?  Am I missing something?

eddyhog

Quote from: 1836hog on May 04, 2008, 12:04:32 am
Isn't this a better deal for Bo?  He moves to afternoon, allowing him to coach his kids little league teams like he's always talking about.  And he gets picked up by an FM station that broadcast throughout most of central Arkansas.  No telling how many additional listeners he'll pick up. To me it sounds like a move Bo would want, not something forced on him?  Am I missing something?
I guess you'd have to ask Bo. Drive time radio or an afternoon show ? I'm working when his new show is on. If I listen to sports talk radio it's usually 7-8 or 5-6. I don't know if that's typical or not. I''m glad KFAY switched to Shawn and Wally. They do a good show. Grit free.

GrantMerrill

Let me first say that we are proud to have Bo aboard. For 1190, that gives us Arkansas based programming eight hours out of the day. For you national guys that want that perspective, the aforementioned changes on our sister station should help. There are other things coming... Give us some time to get the details worked out and I think a lot of people will be a lot happier.

You bet it's a great move for Bo. When you are selling a syndicated radio show, the more markets you clear, the better. Between the Buzz and 96.3 alone he will cover a good 70% of the state. Throw in NW Arkansas and you've got a very attractive package to an advertiser. You can tell that regional or national client, "I can deliver all of these key markets on top rated stations in your demographic.." Being on a station as highly rated as 103.7 certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Pretty powerful stuff....

eddyhog

Quote from: GrantMerrill on May 04, 2008, 03:12:52 pm
Tell him to can those Huggers Clay and Otis and his audience will skyrocket. I can take Dudley but not those two. Clay sounds like a dirty old man on the radio. Most of the time I can't tell what Otis is saying.
At lot of WELLYOUKNOWYOUCANTAKEYOURGUSLOVINGBUTTTOTULSAIFINEVERHEARHISNAMEAGAINIT WILLBETOOSOONKNOWHATIMEN. SNORTGAGGULPERRUUHYEAHHH.

Kilgor

Quote from: eddyhog on May 04, 2008, 04:52:49 pm
Tell him to can those Huggers Clay and Otis and his audience will skyrocket. I can take Dudley but not those two. Clay sounds like a dirty old man on the radio. Most of the time I can't tell what Otis is saying.
At lot of WELLYOUKNOWYOUCANTAKEYOURGUSLOVINGBUTTTOTULSAIFINEVERHEARHISNAMEAGAINIT WILLBETOOSOONKNOWHATIMEN. SNORTGAGGULPERRUUHYEAHHH.

I think Clay and Otis bring something to the table for Bo's show.  I prefer it when Dudley is on, but those two hold their own.  In my opinion of course.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

SLC

Say again? 

Kidding aside, when Bo started his show I was not a huge fan.  I sensed too much disdain for the darksiders.
He had great interviews though. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Kilgor

Bo really needs to get Irwin on since his new time won't conflict with the 5:00 and 6:00 news.

The Nerdery

Quote from: GrantMerrill on May 04, 2008, 03:12:52 pm
Let me first say that we are proud to have Bo aboard. For 1190, that gives us Arkansas based programming eight hours out of the day. For you national guys that want that perspective, the aforementioned changes on our sister station should help. There are other things coming... Give us some time to get the details worked out and I think a lot of people will be a lot happier.

You bet it's a great move for Bo. When you are selling a syndicated radio show, the more markets you clear, the better. Between the Buzz and 96.3 alone he will cover a good 70% of the state. Throw in NW Arkansas and you've got a very attractive package to an advertiser. You can tell that regional or national client, "I can deliver all of these key markets on top rated stations in your demographic.." Being on a station as highly rated as 103.7 certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I'm fine with Bo on the radio, but do you really think we NEED 8 hours of Arkansas programming?  Especially with Van Pelt getting a more pronounced role on ESPN Radio, I think there's going to be a lot of people turning off 1190 by the time Drive Time comes on. 

I assume you meant Fox Sports Radio on your sister station.  It's not about getting national perspective.  It's about the personalities.  That's why people will listen to Bo and Shawn and complain about Rick and Randy. 

8 hours of Arkansas programming is too much, even in the midst of football season.  Bo gets good guests and can handle a show.  Rick, Randy, Grant, and Vernon can't.  If we're losing middle of the day ESPN Radio, can we possibly get Mike and Mike back on in the morning?

johogs001

Just get rid of Press Row.  Many days the sports fans listening to the show know more than they do when they bring the topic up.

Richtified

I'm fine with Bo on the radio, but do you really think we NEED 8 hours of Arkansas programming? 

The answer is no, this is overkill by any standard. 3 different local shows on ESPN radio is a joke. They have maybe one real radio worthy host among the 8 you have now forced on listeners. We actually got 3 hours today of "fan etiquette" debate on Bo's show. Are you kidding me?  Believe it or not there are a ton of people living in the area that want Hog news but that don't need it supplied for eight hours by substandard hosts. One show is enough, how many hours of debating every dropped pass at spring workouts is needed?  Thanks for finally pushing me to buy satellite radio. I can listen to one of the local shows during the day and tune out the rest of the redundancy.

ldshog

I doesn't matter what you put on the air, we can't hear it anyway in Fayetteville.

eddyhog

Quote from: The Nerdery on May 05, 2008, 11:11:05 am
Bo gets good guests and can handle a show.  Rick, Randy, Grant, and Vernon can't. 
I wish we had Finebaum type show here in Arkansas. He can be over the top and abrasive but the guy is never boring. Our local guys all act like they're scared Broyles is going to jump out of the bushes and deNutt them.  ;D

eddyhog

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on May 05, 2008, 04:25:51 pm
Like usual, you couldn't be more wrong.  Where's the ignore function when you need it?
Call up the GM at KFAY and ask him. They dropped Bo for Arnell and Hall. That's a fact. Now if you are saying I'm wrong about Otis and Clay as has been pointed out many times here that's an opinion and unlike facts opinions are neither right or wrong. They are just opinions.

Buck Ocean

Quote from: eddyhog on May 03, 2008, 11:22:39 pm
Anybody remember when that guy Buck would call up on Press Row and do his Double R impersonation ? The Sonic blast Thursday or whatever. He'd do all the voices including Rick and that doofus high school expert Rainwater has. Funny stuff right there.

Thanks brotha.  You know I was makin those calls from work and my bosses put an end to that ish!  said i was WAY too loud...haha....fudge 'em.   I'm still talkin....just not on radio and now its about them..haHA!.  Maybe I can hit up Bo's show after I get off work.   Thanks again
Think like a Jedi

Kilgor

Can't please all of the people, but having Bo 1-4 and Shawn and Wally 4-7 rocks in my opinion!

Well done!

SLC

Quote from: eddyhog on May 05, 2008, 04:39:35 pm
Now if you are saying I'm wrong about Otis and Clay as has been pointed out many times here that's an opinion and unlike facts opinions are neither right or wrong. They are just opinions.

Oh, but what about times when someone claims he/she is "just telling it like it is".  I love it when someone states his/her opionion and then make the lofty claim that he is just "tellin' it like it is". 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Buck Ocean

Quote from: Kilgor on May 05, 2008, 05:08:06 pm
Can't please all of the people, but having Bo 1-4 and Shawn and Wally 4-7 rocks in my opinion!

Well done!

This is all I wanted as well.  You got Bo and Swann, former PressRow hosts.  I too think its time to wake Grandad.  Somebody reveal Mike Irwin by pulling him out of the murkyness.
Think like a Jedi

axedawg

So have we seen all the changes now??   ::)   The local shows continue to munch rod and dear lord could we ever hear some new non-suck local ads?!?!  Tim Stanley must be in love with himself too much to know how much he sounds like John Goodman in addition to sounding like a pure and uncut buffoon! 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: axedawg on July 01, 2008, 09:18:49 pm
So have we seen all the changes now??   ::)   The local shows continue to munch rod and dear lord could we ever hear some new non-suck local ads?!?!  Tim Stanley must be in love with himself too much to know how much he sounds like John Goodman in addition to sounding like a pure and uncut buffoon! 

Tim Stanley is pure comedic genius.  He is goofing on the Underwoods commercials.

Now the Norm the Tire Man dog commercial is awful.  They had retired it about 2 years ago and then brought it back.  They must have been feeling the heat from the Greased Pig, Pixie Dust!

They do need to take some of their ad money and hire an extra engineer or two.  I mean it's rediculous when Vern and Grant have to cut their show an hour short because they can't figure out the phones.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PearlHarbor

Quote from: GrantMerrill on April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm
I've just taken over as sales manager (among some other things) for 1190 The Fan in NWA...  We are looking at rapidly expanding our programming to align more with the Razorback Nation, and to cover more high school sports.

I know the signal is an issue for many. We're making the best of what we have right now, but are working toward making some major improvements in the near future. With that said, what would you like to see out of your sports station in NWA?

Outside of our advertisers, Hogville is the first place I turn to get opinions... it is one of the most powerful sports outlets in Arkansas these days!

Also, feel free to call me at (479) 582-3776 during the week if you would like to visit by phone.

Thanks for your input...

I'm not yet aware why I should give a darn.
Make it worthmywhile.
Ya feel me?

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 01, 2008, 09:27:47 pm
Tim Stanley is pure comedic genius.  He is goofing on the Underwoods commercials.

Now the Norm the Tire Man dog commercial is awful.  They had retired it about 2 years ago and then brought it back.  They must have been feeling the heat from the Greased Pig, Pixie Dust!

They do need to take some of their ad money and hire an extra engineer or two.  I mean it's rediculous when Vern and Grant have to cut their show an hour short because they can't figure out the phones.

Carl from Slingblade can't figure out the phones, so how could Vernon do it?   

I can't stand listening to that guy...   I miss Mike
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BoogerHollerHog

I heard a rumor a couple of days ago that Grant Merrill had left 1190 and was going in with a partner to start his own sports station in Fayetteville.... Then this showed up in the paper today...

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/News/63388/

The rumor mill also indicates they have an FM signal as well. I didn't see that in the article, but I hope it's true!

bugeye

Please take press row off, can't stand golf radio any longer

nathanj

I like having a sports show to listen to in the morning on the way to work.  I really like the one out of Ft. Smith but can only pick it up on cloudy mornings.  There is a lot of golf talk right now because it is the middle of summer and the afternoon shows talk about the Hog football players getting in trouble.  During the high school football season, I would enjoy a station on location at some of the NWA high schools.  The Drive Time folks only go to the central Arkansas schools.

101st Hogborne

I know! It drives me nuts! I honestly feel like I'm listening to a couple of 16 year old boys broadcasting out of their basement. It's crazy!
It's astonishing to think that we sit in the middle of the wealthiest area of the entire state with the 2nd largest population base and the best we can do for sports talk in the morning is Press Row!

BigoBoys

Both hosts appear to be good guys, but they do not focus on Razorback sports.  A couple of weeks ago a caller called and wanted to know an update on Alex Tejada and both Grant and Vernon didn't have a clue that he was injured.  It seems as though sportswriters for a local newspaper should know everything that is going on with the Razorbacks. 
  I am tired of Cardinal baseball, golf, old outdated Razorback stories, Mark from Gentry, and Bella Vista Larry.  I want to hear about CURRENT Razorback events and other current sports events. 

IPig

Press Row is horrible since Mike left.  I dont listen any more seeing as I dont care for Womens sports and endless golf talk.

Noslop

I can't decide if Vernon or the commercials bother me more. They both need to be changed. It really shouldn't be hard to upgrade both.

SLC

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on July 05, 2008, 11:05:52 am
The commercials are eating my soul. I'm not joking. The DOSSLER national monument, Norm, and for the love of all that's holy, someone get Tim Stanley off the radio. I can't take it anymore. I literally have to change the channel or turn down the sound.

I found myself trying to figure out the idiotic voices in the Sweetser Properties one.. thankfully its off air now: "Well I'll be."  "Operators are standing by... or sitting...GAAAAAAH."  Kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know Scoop, I've started watching your news/sports since last fall for two reasons.  First, Channel 5 made Mike quit the show, so I'm not going to watch it.  Second, I have been very impressed with your reporting (your team too) and I love your input like this post above.

Cheers and I hope others tune into Channel 40.

SLC

SLC

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on July 05, 2008, 12:32:13 pm
It'll be 40/29 Money.  You can use it at any one of our vast merchandise stores. I recommend the 40/29 speedo.

As the wise Yogurt once said... "Moichindising, Moichindising, Moichindising."   ;D

I wear a speedo very well.  Thank you.

101st Hogborne

Quote from: BigoBoys on July 04, 2008, 06:40:57 pm
  Both hosts appear to be good guys, but they do not focus on Razorback sports.  A couple of weeks ago a caller called and wanted to know an update on Alex Tejada and both Grant and Vernon didn't have a clue that he was injured.  It seems as though sportswriters for a local newspaper should know everything that is going on with the Razorbacks. 
  I am tired of Cardinal baseball, golf, old outdated Razorback stories, Mark from Gentry, and Bella Vista Larry.  I want to hear about CURRENT Razorback events and other current sports events. 

That was me. You might also remember, that Grant said Alex who? I said "Tejada, our Kicker!!"
I was astonished at such incompetence.
But......if you ask them about Arnold Palmer scratching his ass on the 4th hole of the 1972 Masters, they're all over it. Or if you need to know how many times Pujols adjusts his cup a game, they got it.
Razorback Football? Not so much!

SLC

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on July 05, 2008, 02:20:32 pm
That was me. You might also remember, that Grant said Alex who? I said "Tejada, our Kicker!!"
I was astonished at such incompetence.
But......if you ask them about Arnold Palmer scratching his ass on the 4th hole of the 1972 Masters, they're all over it. Or if you need to know how many times Pujols adjusts his cup a game, they got it.
Razorback Football? Not so much!

Funny Hogborne.  Funny. 

bobbybouchet

If anyone knows Mark in Gentry...please kindly inform him it is not required he call in the show daily.  And especially not multiple times in one show.  Might as well change the name of the show to Genie, Hog lover, and Mark in Gentry call in hour.  I've never liked Genie and his hog hatin.  I think he is the only person on the planet that considers boxing an upper tier sport.  MMA has flown by boxing but he can't come to grips with it.

Jim

It's been such a wonderful thing to know that all our "suggestions" and "things we wanted to see improved" were taken to heart so well.  (sarcasm off)

Again, with "progress" like this on terrestrial radio, is it any wonder why XM/Sirius is the way to go?

BigoBoys

July 06, 2008, 05:02:40 pm #192 Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:28:13 pm by BigoBoys
Quote from: bobbybouchet on July 06, 2008, 02:59:22 pm
If anyone knows Mark in Gentry...please kindly inform him it is not required he call in the show daily.  And especially not multiple times in one show.  Might as well change the name of the show to Genie, Hog lover, and Mark in Gentry call in hour.  I've never liked Genie and his hog hatin.  I think he is the only person on the planet that considers boxing an upper tier sport.  MMA has flown by boxing but he can't come to grips with it.
I rarely agree with any of Genie's views, but at least he generates some phone calls and discussions, Grant and Vernon don't. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BigoBoys on July 06, 2008, 05:02:40 pm
I rarely agree with any of Genie's views, but at least he generates some phone calls and discussions, Grant and Vernon don't. 

Hell Grant and Vern practically beg for him to call in sometimes. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Jim

Did anyone hear the promo for the new midday show starting up on Aug 1?  Sounded like some old guy and his young counterpart.

THIS is the best 1190 could come up with???  You know, these guys may be local and/or they could be broadcasting legends.  But it just underscores (yet again) how pathetic the Fan sounds and how little effort anyone seems to be putting toward that signal.  Nice job of updating the "liar liar" spot too.  What is that now...2+ years and still going strong?

Ugh.  Thanks for giving me the final reason to just outright delete the station from any preset I may have had.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: Noslop on July 05, 2008, 12:24:03 am
I can't decide if Vernon or the commercials bother me more. They both need to be changed. It really shouldn't be hard to upgrade both.
just be thankful Vernon isn't on TV... the whole show is an abortion- including the commercials.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Dwight_K_Shrute

It is sad that 1190 will be all local from 7:00 a to 7:00 p.  And the promos for the new show sound awful.  These guys sound like they should be on a local show eminating out of Mena.

I love the Hogs, and talking about Razorback Sports and listening to most of the shows, but a 12 hour block of nothing but local/hogs for this area is way too much.  Add the 3 hours of Shawn and Wally and whatever local shows 1390 ends up fielding and we will probably have 18 hours or more per day.  That dead horse won't just be beat, it will be ground up, cremated and served for dinner.

little pigee

"With that said, what would you like to see out of your sports station in NWA?"

Be careful what you ask for!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

pitbull1

Don't talk golf or baseball.  Talk Football, Basketball

pikehog

Quote from: wayne1958 on April 19, 2008, 06:23:55 pm
It's sad when I get to the office I go to www.theticket.com out of Dallas because Arkansas sports radio sucks .

The ticket kicks arse.

Most Arkasnas shows are too Arkansas-centric and there is just not enough going on to fill all the shows.

Bo's show is coming to LR next week, what's it like?