Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN employee says players should strike

Started by grayhawg, October 27, 2017, 04:28:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: grayhawg on October 27, 2017, 04:28:24 pm
Good idea then the owners can lock them out.

http://thespun.com/football/nfc-north/green-bay-packers/jalen-rose-calls-for-nfl-players-to-strike-for-a-week

That would be a terrible idea two ways to sunday.

First, striking is a very powerful move by the players. 100% chance the owners would capitulate because there isn't anybody else the owners can hire to do the job. Owners would be hemorrhaging money every minute the players were on strike.

However, what would the owners possibly capitulate on this? They don't have the power to end racial discrimination that does exist in the justice system. I mean, at best, they could only hire security that's undergone implicit bias training and incorporate that into the NFL advertising campaign like they currently do with play60.

They could go on strike to have the right to protest on the field, but otherwise, that's basically asking for something out of their control.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

grayhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 27, 2017, 06:37:41 pm
That would be a terrible idea two ways to sunday.

First, striking is a very powerful move by the players. 100% chance the owners would capitulate because there isn't anybody else the owners can hire to do the job. Owners would be hemorrhaging money every minute the players were on strike.

However, what would the owners possibly capitulate on this? They don't have the power to end racial discrimination that does exist in the justice system. I mean, at best, they could only hire security that's undergone implicit bias training and incorporate that into the NFL advertising campaign like they currently do with play60.

They could go on strike to have the right to protest on the field, but otherwise, that's basically asking for something out of their control.
If you actually believe CK started this as a protest against racial discrimination you are naive.

The NFL has survived strikes and lockouts before, If the NFL goes belly up what will these overpaid athletes do?
   Bottom line I have zero respect nor patience for people who disrespect the flag and national anthem. We obviously have different viewpoints here and that's fine, we are allowed that since patriots fought and died winning our freedom from Great Britian.

bennyl08

Quote from: grayhawg on October 27, 2017, 07:02:29 pm
If you actually believe CK started this as a protest against racial discrimination you are naive.

The NFL has survived strikes and lockouts before, If the NFL goes belly up what will these overpaid athletes do?
   Bottom line I have zero respect nor patience for people who disrespect the flag and national anthem. We obviously have different viewpoints here and that's fine, we are allowed that since patriots fought and died winning our freedom from Great Britian.

Kellog's cereal started to prevent kids from masturbating. If you think that matters whatsoever when it comes to what cereal people buy today, then you are naive.

I mean, I don't understand that whole narrative of tying this all back to CK. Who gives a flying "fig"? Seriously. That'd be like me bringing up the Missouri senator iirc who said that women can avoid getting pregnant from rape if they want to and tying any pro-lifer to that person and their non-sense. The pro-life movement was around before that person was born and will likely be around long after they die. Tying everything to Kaepernick is just as non-sensical. He may have started the kneeling in the NFL, but the cause he at worst pretends to care about has been around long before he was born and will be likely still be around long after his knees fade away and he couldn't even attempt to take the field. Seems to me like a big attempt at dismissal.

Yeah, they have. By largely capitulating to the player's demands. Not sure you point with that is? That's like saying "hey, you should be careful walking in that part of the neighborhood, alone, at night, you might get robbed." With your response being "yeah, but people survive robbings all the time after they give the robber their wallet, watches, and phones."

The NFL is just as likely to go belly up from this as Starbucks will go belly up from just having snowflakes on their cups or wal mart will go belly up from saying "happy holidays". If the NFL goes belly up, the athletes will have the same thing that a million other industries have had to do after going belly up. Get new jobs. Lucky for them, there's hardly anybody else in the world capable of doing what they can do, and there's a ton of money for a near identical business to start back up. Something tells me, they'll continue to do better than virtually everybody else.

We were allowed to have different viewpoints before then as well, barring you being a refugee from Iran or something. Large majority of our freedoms came from England. There was plenty of making fun of the government before and after the revolution without legal trouble.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

grayhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 27, 2017, 08:31:11 pm
Kellog's cereal started to prevent kids from masturbating. If you think that matters whatsoever when it comes to what cereal people buy today, then you are naive.

I mean, I don't understand that whole narrative of tying this all back to CK.
Who gives a flying "fig"? Seriously. That'd be like me bringing up the Missouri senator iirc who said that women can avoid getting pregnant from rape if they want to and tying any pro-lifer to that person and their non-sense. The pro-life movement was around before that person was born and will likely be around long after they die. Tying everything to Kaepernick is just as non-sensical. He may have started the kneeling in the NFL, but the cause he at worst pretends to care about has been around long before he was born and will be likely still be around long after his knees fade away and he couldn't even attempt to take the field. Seems to me like a big attempt at dismissal.

Yeah, they have. By largely capitulating to the player's demands. Not sure you point with that is? That's like saying "hey, you should be careful walking in that part of the neighborhood, alone, at night, you might get robbed." With your response being "yeah, but people survive robbings all the time after they give the robber their wallet, watches, and phones."

The NFL is just as likely to go belly up from this as Starbucks will go belly up from just having snowflakes on their cups or wal mart will go belly up from saying "happy holidays". If the NFL goes belly up, the athletes will have the same thing that a million other industries have had to do after going belly up. Get new jobs. Lucky for them, there's hardly anybody else in the world capable of doing what they can do, and there's a ton of money for a near identical business to start back up. Something tells me, they'll continue to do better than virtually everybody else.

We were allowed to have different viewpoints before then as well, barring you being a refugee from Iran or something. Large majority of our freedoms came from England. There was plenty of making fun of the government before and after the revolution without legal trouble.
CK started this protesting the national anthem by refusing to stand, to me that's why it all ties back to him.
I have said more than once I support protesting inequality but disrespecting the Flag and National Anthem is not the right time.
  I watched NFL football since the sixties but have not watched a game since Goodell and owners refused to put a stop to it. I only watch College football now.

holeinthewall

There is inequality in all walks of life.  Get over it. There always will be. In reality it has gone to the complete opposite and no one can say or do anything with out it offending someone in someone. 

grayhawg

Quote from: holeinthewall on October 28, 2017, 05:58:49 am
There is inequality in all walks of life.  Get over it. There always will be. In reality it has gone to the complete opposite and no one can say or do anything with out it offending someone in someone. 

ROTFLOL

bennyl08

Quote from: grayhawg on October 27, 2017, 09:02:25 pm
CK started this protesting the national anthem by refusing to stand, to me that's why it all ties back to him.
I have said more than once I support protesting inequality but disrespecting the Flag and National Anthem is not the right time.
  I watched NFL football since the sixties but have not watched a game since Goodell and owners refused to put a stop to it. I only watch College football now.

You realizing the players are taking a knee at the request of military members so as not to show any disrespect, yeah?

grayhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 28, 2017, 04:44:20 pm
You realizing the players are taking a knee at the request of military members so as not to show any disrespect, yeah?
Yeah requested they kneel rather than sit, both show disrespect for the Anthem and Flag.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: grayhawg on October 28, 2017, 04:56:16 pm
Yeah requested they kneel rather than sit, both show disrespect for the Anthem and Flag.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

If you are going to bring the uniform code into this, then you need to boycott retailers that sell American flag clothing and apparel. The rules for displaying the flag are specific and explicit, and they don't include ties.

As it happens, I think the kneeling is stupid. It's more social media activism: long on visibility and self aggrandizement, and short on results or direction.

We can't dictate patriotism anymore than we can morality. All that does is create a veneer while the core remains rotten. At least this way we know where people stand.(pun not intended)

So I say let them kneel. It gives me an opportunity to discuss personal responsibility with my daughter. I can use them as an example of powerful men who have the means to affect real change in their communities, but who have instead chosen the easy route.(by and large. There are some kneelers who are doing the hard work too)

grayhawg

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 20, 2017, 08:57:35 am
If you are going to bring the uniform code into this, then you need to boycott retailers that sell American flag clothing and apparel. The rules for displaying the flag are specific and explicit, and they don't include ties.

As it happens, I think the kneeling is stupid. It's more social media activism: long on visibility and self aggrandizement, and short on results or direction.

We can't dictate patriotism anymore than we can morality. All that does is create a veneer while the core remains rotten. At least this way we know where people stand.(pun not intended)

So I say let them kneel. It gives me an opportunity to discuss personal responsibility with my daughter. I can use them as an example of powerful men who have the means to affect real change in their communities, but who have instead chosen the easy route.(by and large. There are some kneelers who are doing the hard work too)
Have for years.