Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

West Virginia

Started by nebhog70, March 11, 2016, 10:10:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2016, 12:49:17 pm
We probably could've danced in year 3 had we won @Bama or beat USCe to end the season.

May have taken both given what our NIT seeding ended up being as it could have been an indicator we ended up a little lower down the list. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2016, 12:49:17 pm
We probably could've danced in year 3 had we won @Bama or beat USCe to end the season.

It's possible, though I still believe our SOS (98) and NCSoS (199) would have kept us in the NIT as a top seed. We were very similar to SMU that season, who had a better RPI and two more wins (including one more win vs a top 25 team) than Arkansas, though they too had a bad SoS and NCSoS and were also in the NIT as a #1 seed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Biggus Piggus

A few things stick out about West Virginia in statistics.

First - They foul like freaking crazy. They put opponents on the line more often than anybody else in Division 1.

Their most exceptional statistics, other than fouling (number is national rank):

1. Steals per possession, offensive rebounding percentage -- that is an impressive combination.
2. Turnovers forced per possession, opponents' free throws as % of total points.
3. Opponents average possession length (shorter = better).
6. Points allowed per possession (defensive efficiency).
7. Free throw attempts per field goal attempt (on offense).
18. Bench minutes as % of total minutes played.
20. Minutes continuity (73% of minutes played come from players who were significant players last season).
23. Points scored per possession (offensive efficiency).

West Virginia relies on a three-guard lineup with a power forward and a low-post player.

The main guards:

6-2 sr Jaysean Paige - 124 2-pt baskets shooting 53% (lots of layups/dunks), 33% 3-pt, 78% FTs, among national leaders in steals. Decent offensive rebounder.

6-3 jr Tarik Phillip - 42% 3pt shooter, 70% FTs, excellent at getting fouled, among national leaders in steals, good assists.

6-2 so Jevon Carter - high in assists and steals.

6-3 so Daxter Miles - 57% 2-pt shooter, high in steals.

The big men:

6-9, 255 jr Devin Williams - Excellent rebounder on both ends, top 10 in the nation at getting fouled, just 47% 2-pt shooter.

6-7, 220 sr Jonathan Holton - Excellent rebounder on both ends, 62% 2-pt shooter, good steals.

6-8, 225 fr Esa Ahmad - Good at blocking shots, good steals production.

6-9, 235 so Elijah Macon - Good rebounder and inside shooter, uses his fouls.

6-9, 240 jr Nathan Adrian - Shoots 56% inside, gets offensive rebounds and steals, uses his fouls.

Somehow, West Virginia has recruited a lot of big, strong forwards while playing a pressure defense style that keeps everybody under 30 minutes per game.

They could use a lot more outside shooting, but their strength on defense and the boards made the Hilltoppers a 3 seed in the NCAAT. While WVa relies heavily on guards, it has enough bigs to match up with most opponents.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 15, 2016, 02:12:46 pm
It's possible, though I still believe our SOS (98) and NCSoS (199) would have kept us in the NIT as a top seed. We were very similar to SMU that season, who had a better RPI and two more wins (including one more win vs a top 25 team) than Arkansas, though they too had a bad SoS and NCSoS and were also in the NIT as a #1 seed.

A top 100 schedule should be good enough.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Elijah Macon was a 4-star recruit from Columbus, Ohio - also offered by Cincinnati, Iowa, Pitt, USC.

Devin Williams was a 4-star recruit from Montverde Academy in Florida - also offered by a huge number of schools.

Esa Ahmad was a 4-star recruit from Cleveland, also with a long offer list.

All of WVa's key guards were 3-star recruits from all over, just a great job of evaluation and recruiting.

This seems to be Arkansas's chief handicap, an inability to recruit enough power players. If MA can't fix this, he will have a hard time staying in the upper division of the SEC.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 15, 2016, 03:01:00 pm
Elijah Macon was a 4-star recruit from Columbus, Ohio - also offered by Cincinnati, Iowa, Pitt, USC.

Devin Williams was a 4-star recruit from Montverde Academy in Florida - also offered by a huge number of schools.

Esa Ahmad was a 4-star recruit from Cleveland, also with a long offer list.

All of WVa's key guards were 3-star recruits from all over, just a great job of evaluation and recruiting.

This seems to be Arkansas's chief handicap, an inability to recruit enough power players. If MA can't fix this, he will have a hard time staying in the upper division of the SEC.

and keeping his job.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 15, 2016, 02:32:36 pm
A few things stick out about West Virginia in statistics.

First - They foul like freaking crazy. They put opponents on the line more often than anybody else in Division 1.

Their most exceptional statistics, other than fouling (number is national rank):

1. Steals per possession, offensive rebounding percentage -- that is an impressive combination.
2. Turnovers forced per possession, opponents' free throws as % of total points.
3. Opponents average possession length (shorter = better).
6. Points allowed per possession (defensive efficiency).
7. Free throw attempts per field goal attempt (on offense).
18. Bench minutes as % of total minutes played.
20. Minutes continuity (73% of minutes played come from players who were significant players last season).
23. Points scored per possession (offensive efficiency).

West Virginia relies on a three-guard lineup with a power forward and a low-post player.

The main guards:

6-2 sr Jaysean Paige - 124 2-pt baskets shooting 53% (lots of layups/dunks), 33% 3-pt, 78% FTs, among national leaders in steals. Decent offensive rebounder.

6-3 jr Tarik Phillip - 42% 3pt shooter, 70% FTs, excellent at getting fouled, among national leaders in steals, good assists.

6-2 so Jevon Carter - high in assists and steals.

6-3 so Daxter Miles - 57% 2-pt shooter, high in steals.

The big men:

6-9, 255 jr Devin Williams - Excellent rebounder on both ends, top 10 in the nation at getting fouled, just 47% 2-pt shooter.

6-7, 220 sr Jonathan Holton - Excellent rebounder on both ends, 62% 2-pt shooter, good steals.

6-8, 225 fr Esa Ahmad - Good at blocking shots, good steals production.

6-9, 235 so Elijah Macon - Good rebounder and inside shooter, uses his fouls.

6-9, 240 jr Nathan Adrian - Shoots 56% inside, gets offensive rebounds and steals, uses his fouls.

Somehow, West Virginia has recruited a lot of big, strong forwards while playing a pressure defense style that keeps everybody under 30 minutes per game.

They could use a lot more outside shooting, but their strength on defense and the boards made the Hilltoppers a 3 seed in the NCAAT. While WVa relies heavily on guards, it has enough bigs to match up with most opponents.
I hate watching teams that foul a lot.  That's always one of my biggest complaints about Anderson.  I also don't like watching teams who can't shoot well.  The before mentioned two issues make it ugly basketball.  Having said that I still think they have a great chance to make it to the Elite 8.  Lastly Biggus I know it was a simple mistake but WVA is the Mountaineers.  WKU are the Hilltoppers. 

root_hawg

I as well hate to watch all the hand slapping, figuring if you do it on every play, the refs will only call it so much

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 15, 2016, 08:17:35 pm
I hate watching teams that foul a lot.  That's always one of my biggest complaints about Anderson.  I also don't like watching teams who can't shoot well.  The before mentioned two issues make it ugly basketball.  Having said that I still think they have a great chance to make it to the Elite 8.  Lastly Biggus I know it was a simple mistake but WVA is the Mountaineers.  WKU are the Hilltoppers. 

Yup, not a good day for me as far as recall goes. Topaneers, how about?
[CENSORED]!

husker71

He has a really veteran coaching staff in Billy Hahn and Larry Harrison and add in Eric Martin.

Biggus Piggus

That is the biggest problem with the Nolan/MA system. Really hard to hire good assistants.
[CENSORED]!

Dr. Starcs

Thuggy bear and his hooligans in some trouble.

These have gotta be the worst refs I've seen the past two days. Sheesh.

Dr. Starcs

What a fail of a thread.

Lmao

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

WorfHog

West Virginia just lost to a very good SFA team.

Razorod

I doubt Underwood is at SFA next season.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

TNhawgfan

They played hogball for sure today
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2016, 08:23:16 pm
Thuggy bear and his hooligans in some trouble.

These have gotta be the worst refs I've seen the past two days. Sheesh.

so the refs picking on another press slap hack team? You do know they led the nation in free throws allowed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

No, I meant wvu should've been whistled for at least two flagrant fouls and weren't.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2016, 09:50:17 pm
No, I meant wvu should've been whistled for at least two flagrant fouls and weren't.

yea i agree with that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: Razorod on March 18, 2016, 08:44:57 pm
I doubt Underwood is at SFA next season.

I know where I wish he would be.  He's now beaten VCU with Shaka Smart and West Virginia and Huggins in the NCAA tournament...with Stephen F. Austin talent.

SFA is my alma mater and I've seen them play several times since Underwood got there.  He's a great coach... 59-1 in conference...and I'm not shocked that they won.

hogman99

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 18, 2016, 10:35:08 pm
I know where I wish he would be.  He's now beaten VCU with Shaka Smart and West Virginia and Huggins in the NCAA tournament...with Stephen F. Austin talent.

SFA is my alma mater and I've seen them play several times since Underwood got there.  He's a great coach... 59-1 in conference...and I'm not shocked that they won.

He's a great coach, love to have him.

TX HOG

I live in East Texas so there are a ton of SFA grads here. Underwood is going to be a hot commodity when this tournament is over you would think...