Previous topic - Next topic

atekido

UCLA
Florida
Arkansas
A&M
Tennessee

OldArmy94

Ok, so Jimbo Fisher May not pan out, who can tell for sure?

But when you get the opportunity to hire a coach with a national title and all the double digit win seasons he has had, you have to take the chance. As for the money, really, that isn't much of an obstacle. I know you guys don't think much of our weird male cheerleaders, as you so lovingly call them, but money isn't a concern in College Station. We poured over half a billion into what is now THE college football facility in the nation. An extra $75 million is a drop in the bucket.

If anything else, Aggies are patient and will roll the dice the next go round if need be.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OldArmy94 on December 09, 2017, 01:36:42 am
Ok, so Jimbo Fisher May not pan out, who can tell for sure?

But when you get the opportunity to hire a coach with a national title and all the double digit win seasons he has had, you have to take the chance. As for the money, really, that isn't much of an obstacle. I know you guys don't think much of our weird male cheerleaders, as you so lovingly call them, but money isn't a concern in College Station. We poured over half a billion into what is now THE college football facility in the nation. An extra $75 million is a drop in the bucket.

If anything else, Aggies are patient and will roll the dice the next go round if need be.

$75 million guaranteed contract.

If he goes 3-9 for the next 4 years, you're stuck paying out the balance upon termination.

Strange.

We fired an athletic director, in part, for giving a coach a buyout that was too lopsided.
This is my non-signature signature.

alohawg

Where would people here list Morris had he been hired elsewhere in Conference?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: alohawg on December 09, 2017, 01:55:57 am
Where would people here list Morris had he been hired elsewhere in Conference?

I'd list him as dangerous, and an up & comer like Mullen.

BearsBisonsBoars

Mullen in the best hire and it's not close. If he doesn't succeed there, it will be because of the toxicity of the Florida admin and fanbase.

Morris and Kelly are 2a and 2b. Kelly probably has the Xs and Os edge, but is a terrible recruiter.

[Big gap]

Pruitt is in last place. Tenner is a clownshow.

Fisher is in worst place. A&M utterly screwed themselves. They're paying four times the amount for what will be the same or worse record. To say nothing of their now having a dishonorable man heading the program instead of the halfway decent one they had before.

Großer Kriegschwein

I didn't quantify by saying that Morris is similar to when the Bulldogs hired Mullen from Florida.

BroyledNutts

Who made the best hire?

UCLA ... Chip Kelly is about to put UCLA back in title contention ... Florida did the best in the SEC ... Mullen will be a nightmare for the East in a couple recruiting classes ...

PygmalionEffect2

Asking who is the best coach then posters dropping Fisher to the bottom because of the price paid kind of seems like rating a Ford Taurus over a Mercedes as the best car just because the Taurus was cheaper to purchase?

Although the complacency angle with getting so much guaranteed is a valid possibility.

I'm to the point I'm not sure any staff can recruit well enough here to have consistent success no matter how much"energy" they have. 

Chad will be a solid test of this theory. 
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on December 09, 2017, 03:01:40 am
Asking who is the best coach then posters dropping Fisher to the bottom because of the price paid kind of seems like rating a Ford Taurus over a Mercedes as the best car just because the Taurus was cheaper to purchase?

Although the complacency angle with getting so much guaranteed is a valid possibility.

I'm to the point I'm not sure any staff can recruit well enough here to have consistent success no matter how much"energy" they have. 

The amount paid is central to the question of best hire. (Not best coach)

If you're paying out the nose to not really upgrade, like A&M has, then you've made a bad hire.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 08, 2017, 09:41:18 am
Florida (Mullen)?   Texas AM (Fisher)?  Tennessee (Pruitt)?  UCLA (Chip Kelly)?  Arkansas (Morris)?    My list goes like this.  (And NO i'm not being bias. It's what I really think.

1: Morris
2  Kelly
2: Mullen
3: Pruitt
4: Fisher.

I think the Aggies made a HUGE and expensive mistake with Jimbo Fisher.  What are your thoughts?

I am with you on A&M and Jimbo.  The Aggies will have a deuce of a time with that one.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on December 09, 2017, 03:01:40 am

The $$ has gotten so outrageous it kills coaching initiative. Textbook case in point just left Arkansas 30 million richer after 5 years with us at the bottom of the pecking order.

I wish we had the days of a coach's demand for a free tank of a gasoline from the university pump now and then being a deal breaker back. I really do. 

The Kig

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 09, 2017, 03:17:38 am
The amount paid is central to the question of best hire. (Not best coach)

If you're paying out the nose to not really upgrade, like A&M has, then you've made a bad hire.

No it isn't central to the question.   In fact it's, extraneous to the question.  It wasn't a relative value question.  It was best hire...period.

Morris may turn out to be down the road...or he may fall flat on his face, but from an experience aspect... He can't even be in the running. We are the only team who hired a HC with a losing record.  Only team in SEC who hired someone with not big accomplishments to his name (don't give me his damn HS record as accomplishment).  May prove to be the steal of this class, but EVERYONE saying he is #1 at this point is completely delusional.
Poker Porker

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 03:32:12 am
No it isn't central to the question.   In fact it's, extraneous to the question.  It wasn't a relative value question.  It was best hire...period.

Morris may turn out to be down the road...or he may fall flat on his face, but from an experience aspect... He can't even be in the running. We are the only team who hired a HC with a losing record.  Only team in SEC who hired someone with not big accomplishments to his name (don't give me his damn HS record as accomplishment).  May prove to be the steal of this class, but EVERYONE saying he is #1 at this point is completely delusional.

If Bret's 1st year didn't count for him at Arkansas, then maybe Morris' doesn't count at SMU.

Melancholy_Pigg

Does anyone think Mullen may have a hard time adjusting to the culture at FL? 

FL is a hotter pressure cooker for the W's.  And I might be mistaken but I think he had some trouble at times with the MSU media.  He better hope he can win and win coming out the gate.  They are gators down there in more ways than one.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 03:32:12 am

Just to play devil's advocate here, what did Experience get us with Bielema?  Rich Rodriguez had experience to but he flopped at Michigan.

I appreciate your point, but this isn't all just about stats on paper.  The hire has to be a good fit for the program.  Lot of variables in that. 

I think Mullen might be in for a shock.  Gainesville isn't Starkville.  Different attitudes in the program expectations and the players.  Pruitt has great coordinator credentials - but isn't TN hisnfirst head coaching gig?  Does not take a lot of imagination to see problems there. 

Who knows with UCLA and Chip Kelly.  Him and Oregon were a unique combo at a unique time and place.  Get used to having a giant cross town rival and no your offense and you aren't the hit new thing any more.  Jimbo has the best resume - but IDK - something feels Bielema-ish about it.

I am not tryingntonstart a fight -   I just think in a lot of ways Morris coming to Arkansas has a lot less risk in regards to a lot of the unknowns in this equation than these other hires. 

BILLYBOB

There 2 ways to rank these coaches. The first is based on their actual body of work. The second is how good the "fit" is with their new school.

Based on pure body of work...

1. Fisher - 1 of 4 coaches to win a Championship.
2. Kelly - Put the Ducks in the Championship game.
3. Mullen - Consistently won 8 games in Starkville.
4, Morris - Saved Clemson as OC. Turned around SMU. No P5 Head Coach.
5. Pruitt - Great DC for Bama. Learned under Saban. Never been a Head Coach

Ranked by "best fit"with their new school...
1. Mullen - Knows Florida and the SEC. Made chicken salad out of chicken s**t at MSU. Great recruiter and developer of talent. UF is back. Great hire.
2. Morris - Hogs #1 challenge will always be recruiting. To succeed, we must recruit Texas. Morris brings deep Texas recruiting ties. We can't play power football...we need a HUNH spread offense. Morris brings that.
3. Kelly wouldn't work at Arkansas because he hates recruiting. He should've gone to Florida. He'll do well at UCLA.
4. Pruitt - Pruitt will bring desperately needed discipline and focus to UT.
5. Fisher - Stupid Aggies overpaid. Sumlin was a great recruiter and a good coach. When the immediate results don't come, Aggies will lose their minds.

Scoring 1 point for each of the above rankings (lowest score is best)

4 - Mullen (3 + 1)
5 - Kelley (2 + 3)
6 - Morris (4 + 2)
6 - Fisher (1 + 5)
9 - Pruitt (5 + 4)

The fun thing is we can look back in 3-4 years and evaluate the coaches based on their success. Eye ball test wise I really like Morris. If he does well, he will probably leave us, which is OK.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 08, 2017, 10:15:05 am
2 wins, then 5, then 7

helped build clemson to a national power

negative nancies

Bielema in his first 3 years here went 3-9, 6-6, 7-5

He helped take Wisconsin to 3 straight Rose Bowls and had them as a national power.

See how that works??

Rzback

Mullen, Morris, Kelly, Fisher, Pruitt but don't think I would trade for any of them. Think Morris will be more entertaining than the others.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Pork Twain

Florida (Mullen)?   Texas AM (Fisher)?  Tennessee (Pruitt)?  UCLA (Chip Kelly)?  Arkansas (Morris)?    My list goes like this.  (And NO i'm not being bias. It's what I really think.

2  Kelly

I think the Aggies made a HUGE and expensive mistake with Jimbo Fisher.  What are your thoughts?
1: Kelly (Top coach on the market)
2  Mullen (Great coach and the perfect fit for Florida)
2: Morris (Great fit and great energy, lets see who our DC is)
3: Pruitt (I think Tenner will be looking again in a few years)
4: Fisher (Reminds me of Danny Ford)
5. Gus (that extension is ridiculous for a guy you have almost fired a few times)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BILLYBOB

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 05:28:34 am
5. Gus (that extension is ridiculous for a guy you have almost fired a few times)

Agree on Gus. He's a darn good coach. But when the lossescome...and they will...the AU fan base will remember the way he manipulated the PTB into a ridiculous contract...and they will rise with great anger towards him. Auburn and Gus deserve each other...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

TexArkHogFan

This is like getting a bunch of guys together and arguing who has the best wife.  1. The drop dead gorgeous  gal who has guys drooling over her when you go out.  Doesn't like to cook and wants to go out every night to eat.  Doesn't want kids cause getting pregnant makes her fat, hence sex is few and far between.  2.  The gal who is OK to look at, loves to cook and and would rather stay home and cook a good home style meal rather than go out.  Loves sports and can call the Hogs with the best of em.  Doesn't mind eating beans and cornbread in order to spend more time with you.  Loves kids and wants to have a house full running around all over the place.  Doesn't mind you having a few beers with your buddies every now and then as long as you let her go shopping when she feels the urge.  3.  The drop dead gorgeous gal, who likes to cook, is great in bed,  and wants to spend all her free time coddling over you and makes you feel like you're the luckiest man alive.  NOTE:  No. 3 is a pipe dream and only available in the Fantasy League.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

kid squealer

SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 08, 2017, 12:17:31 pm
Two things:

Bowden had to build that program to begin with.  Yes Bill Peterson had some nice years and was quirky and funny but Bowden put the pieces together.  He did it by playing the toughest schedule in the country and doing it on the road so he could get his foot in the door.

Fisher took over a machine and slowly ran it into the ground.  Fisher has very fine football mind.  But, he plays games with his skill guys, especially his QBs.  Toward the end he put too much pressure on these pieces.  He apparently thought he could just out score people and let the D go to hell while being a control freak on the side of the ball he cared most about.
My favorite Bill Peterson quote:

Media: "Coach, do you think it's going to rain in the game Saturday?"
Peterson: "What do I look like---a geologist?"

redeye

2  Kelly

Just choosing among those names:

1. Mullen
2. Kelley
3. Morris
4. Fisher
5. Pruitt

After what Mullen has accomplished, I just think he's highly underrated.  The only question is if he has a ceiling.  Kelley's past accomplishments are also very impressive, although I'm not sold on Fisher.  Unlike Mullen and Kelley, Fisher has had access to great talent.  I'm skeptical on Pruitt, but don't know him well.

Scott Frost would somewhere near the top for me.  I think he'll  revive Nebraska soon and get them back to competing for national titles.  His offense struggled against Memphis, but I love the highly developed passing game he uses. 

redeye

Quote from: Citizen2729 on December 08, 2017, 08:49:32 pm
Not on the list but the best hire was Frost to Nebraska, then Kelly, then Morris. If Morris gets Venables he goes to 1.

It's gonna be interesting watching Frost at Nebraska.  This hire didn't receive much attention, but I suspect it'll be huge a few years from now.

Hoggish1

December 09, 2017, 01:38:22 pm #127 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:04:17 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 09, 2017, 02:06:01 am
1. Mullen in the best hire and it's not close. If he doesn't succeed there, it will be because of the toxicity of the Florida admin and fanbase.

2. Morris and Kelly are 2a and 2b. Kelly probably has the Xs and Os edge, but is a terrible recruiter.

[Big gap]

3. Pruitt is in last place. Tenner is a clownshow.

4. Fisher is in worst place. A&M utterly screwed themselves. They're paying four times the amount for what will be the same or worse record. To say nothing of their now having a dishonorable man heading the program instead of the halfway decent one they had before.

1. If he doesn't succeed there it will be his own fault.  Their fan base and admin are still what they've always been.

2.  Kelly has been out of coaching college ball for too many years and he doesn't have the splash of doing something nobody else was doing on the West Coast and with Nike $ and innovation.

3.  No argument there

4.  Agreed here, too.  Fisher will retire from that place with a lot of $ but TAMU won't be better off.  FSU is beyond happy he took his act to the SEC

Hoggish1

December 09, 2017, 01:53:21 pm #128 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:05:29 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 09, 2017, 04:24:42 am
1. Just to play devil's advocate here, what did Experience get us with Bielema?  Rich Rodriguez had experience to but he flopped at Michigan.

2. I appreciate your point, but this isn't all just about stats on paper.  The hire has to be a good fit for the program.  Lot of variables in that. 

3. I think Mullen might be in for a shock.  Gainesville isn't Starkville.  Different attitudes in the program expectations and the players.  Pruitt has great coordinator credentials - but isn't TN hisnfirst head coaching gig?  Does not take a lot of imagination to see problems there. 

4. Who knows with UCLA and Chip Kelly.  Him and Oregon were a unique combo at a unique time and place.  Get used to having a giant cross town rival and no your offense and you aren't the hit new thing any more.  Jimbo has the best resume - but IDK - something feels Bielema-ish about it.

5. I am not tryingntonstart a fight -   I just think in a lot of ways Morris coming to Arkansas has a lot less risk in regards to a lot of the unknowns in this equation than these other hires. 

1. True  But CBB failed when he couldn't keep his line coach.  The fail starting Missou 2016 till the end this year (mystical to say the least) can be attributed to the O-line failure and it's coach.

2. CCM seems to be a good fit based on the fact he appears all in with doing what Texas school boy footballers grow up doing.  If he can find the ideal DC (Huge NEED), he's going to succeed.

3. It isn't as though Mullen has never been there so I doubt he will be shocked

4. And who cares. The Oregon experiment, as you say, was unique.  Most believe you can't go home again.  But I pay as much attention to West Coast football as I do to conversations about extra terrestrial life ever visiting planet earth.

5. Bingo

Hoggish1

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 09, 2017, 06:55:46 am
This is like getting a bunch of guys together and arguing who has the best wife.  1. The drop dead gorgeous  gal who has guys drooling over her when you go out.  Doesn't like to cook and wants to go out every night to eat.  Doesn't want kids cause getting pregnant makes her fat, hence sex is few and far between.  2.  The gal who is OK to look at, loves to cook and and would rather stay home and cook a good home style meal rather than go out.  Loves sports and can call the Hogs with the best of em.  Doesn't mind eating beans and cornbread in order to spend more time with you.  Loves kids and wants to have a house full running around all over the place.  Doesn't mind you having a few beers with your buddies every now and then as long as you let her go shopping when she feels the urge.  3.  The drop dead gorgeous gal, who likes to cook, is great in bed,  and wants to spend all her free time coddling over you and makes you feel like you're the luckiest man alive.  NOTE:  No. 3 is a pipe dream and only available in the Fantasy League.

LMAO Very true synopsis!

Hoggish1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 09, 2017, 12:22:31 pm
My favorite Bill Peterson quote:

Media: "Coach, do you think it's going to rain in the game Saturday?"
Peterson: "What do I look like---a geologist?"

How about:  "I want you to form a line and get in a circle (actually, I kind of understand that...). 

The Yogi Berra of football coaches

Grunt

3: Kelly
4: Pruitt
5: Fisher
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 08, 2017, 06:48:21 pm
I don't think this ... means what you think it does.

And I don't think you know what any of it means......

PRJ

MuskogeeHogFan

2  Kelly

That's kinda like saying who got the best recruiting class. Let's check back in 3 years and revisit this question.

All of them have great potential in their programs as HC's, but I do have to say that with the talent that he had at Florida State, Fisher underachieved. His downfall began back in 2014 when his 13-0 team got hammered by Oregon in their bowl 20-59. After that, 10-3, 10-3 and then this years 6-6. The 6-6 was just the frosting on the cake.
Go Hogs Go!

Grunt

"You guys line up alphabetically by height."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 05:28:34 am

See....Jimbo reminds me of Nutt...only surrounded by better talent.

Buckle up boys, we are going for a ride and I think it is going to be a heck of a lot of fun.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 09, 2017, 02:07:02 pm
That's kinda like saying who got the best recruiting class. Let's check back in 3 years and revisit this question.

All of them have great potential in their programs as HC's, but I do have to say that with the talent that he had at Florida State, Fisher underachieved. His downfall began back in 2014 when his 13-0 team got hammered by Oregon in their bowl 20-59. After that, 10-3, 10-3 and then this years 6-6. The 6-6 was just the frosting on the cake.

Jimbo is Houston Nutt surromded by more talent.

PRJ

HamGrowsOnTrees

You guys continually show why you are just so dang entertaining to read. Fisher will out Bama , Bama at tamu.

His classes at FSU were occasionally out of the top ten. Good coach. Good recruiter. We may never beat tamu again is the truth.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 09, 2017, 02:19:35 pm
You guys continually show why you are just so dang entertaining to read. Fisher will out Bama , Bama at tamu.

His classes at FSU were occasionally out of the top ten. Good coach. Good recruiter. We may never beat tamu again is the truth.

Wrong.  Fisher will never have better athletes than he had at FSU and he was underwhelming with them.  That game vs Oregon after he won the NC was a monumental embarrassment only out done by his failed last year.

He does less with more and Aggie will get that fairly quickly.

Paul

HogBreath

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on December 08, 2017, 11:00:03 am
Will Jimbo be their hero, or will he be a super expensive version of what they've always had? 
He'll have Mike Sherman type results but terribly more expensive.

What a bunch of schmucks the Ags are.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 09, 2017, 04:53:31 pm
Wrong.  Fisher will never have better athletes than he had at FSU and he was underwhelming with them.  That game vs Oregon after he won the NC was a monumental embarrassment only out done by his failed last year.

He does less with more and Aggie will get that fairly quickly.

Lol. In your dreams this is reality.

the 1 and only

Ill wait till the DC is announced
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

DuffMcHog

I agree with Hatfield Hog. Good logic.
Restore the Razorback Pride! WPS and GHG.

RebHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 01:46:40 am
$75 million guaranteed contract.

If he goes 3-9 for the next 4 years, you're stuck paying out the balance upon termination.

Strange.

We fired an athletic director, in part, for giving a coach a buyout that was too lopsided.

Why are people throwing money into this equation. Ya its a hell of a lot of money but ATM didn't blink an eye to fork over the buyout for Sumlin. Money isn't an object to them need to rate the hire for on field performance and accolades not his salary.

RideTillIDieHawg

2  Kelly

I see you're almost as bad at math as you are analyzing football.

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 09, 2017, 02:13:21 pm
Jimbo is Houston Nutt surromded by more talent.

PRJ

Is that according to your sources?

RebHog

joeman

Quote from: Cure on December 08, 2017, 08:59:46 pm
UCLA
A&M
Florida
Arkansas
Tennessee

I agree with this. I'm more than willing to give our new coach a chance, but was hoping for Norvell or Kiffin. I think Kiffin (if he wanted the job and stayed) would have brought some swagger (and W's).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 09, 2017, 02:19:35 pm

Stop trolling. It is making you look really bad. But maybe that is your goal?

If Fisher couldn't get it done at Florida State with that talent level in a conference that really wasn't all that tough for many years, he sure isn't going to get it done at A&M.

Here are the recruiting rankings and the W-L records for each school by year.

FSU   W   L   A&M   W   L
2017    6      6   6     13    7   5
2016    3     10   3     18    8   5
2015    3     10   3     11    8   5
2014    4     13   1      5     8   5
2013   11    14   0      9     9   4
2012    4     12   2    16    11   2
2011    2      9   4     34     7   6
2010    8     10   4    16     9   4
2009   11     7    6    27     6   7
2008   12     9    4    16     4   8
2007   20     7    6    41     7   6