Too much baggage
38 (23.3%)
Would consider
49 (30.1%)
Frito Pie
76 (46.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

clew

I'm waiting on my wife to get out of surgery here in Houston, so I'm passing the time trying to catch up on the fallout from Saturday. I realize that Enos carries Bielema's (substantial) baggage, but I do think he's a really creative and timely play caller. I don't necessarily blame him for us being no dimensional on offense right now—think that's due to the OL musical chairs. The list of coaches bandied about for the last several days is uninspiring to say the least. What is the HV mood on elevating Enos to head coach with the freedom to bring in who he wants and run the higher octane offense we have seen glimpses of in the past?  Why or why not? (Apologies if this exact topic has already been discussed—didn't see it and the mobile app gave me an error when I tried to search for it)
Pure as the dawn

HiggiePiggy

Nope. Not after this year.  I would like everyone to be gone. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

WaltonCollege

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2017, 06:14:00 pm
Nope. Not after this year.  I would like everyone to be gone.

Yeah this guy knew about the deficiencies of the O line coming into the season and made garbage adjustments, our TEs have not developed, outside of a couple big plays our WRs are basically non-existent.  Two years ago Enos YES, today Enos NO.

phadedhawg

I don't think Dan and Bert are a good fit but Enos has some coaching talent, unlike Bielema. 

I would be interested in seeing what he could do as the leader of the program.  He should be cheap so why not give him a shot?

RazorbackToTheFuture

Hope your wife is ok and surgery goes well!

longpig

Majority of plays develop waaaaay too slow, especially draws.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Ironhawg

Quote from: longpig on October 16, 2017, 06:24:26 pm
Majority of plays develop waaaaay too slow, especially draws.

This right here. 

widespreadsooie

Quote from: WaltonCollege on October 16, 2017, 06:17:36 pm
Yeah this guy knew about the deficiencies of the O line coming into the season and made garbage adjustments, our TEs have not developed, outside of a couple big plays our WRs are basically non-existent.  Two years ago Enos YES, today Enos NO.

Please elaborate on these garbage adjustments. What are these adjustments and what would have you done differently? Can you dive deeper into the development of our TEs and why that's Enos' fault? Also, what were your expectations for our receivers?

widespreadsooie

I like Enos if you can't tell. Guy is a proven play caller. KA's O line play and unprecedented inexperience at WR are not on Enos. He has nothing to work with. We've seen his play calling when he does and it's good. Recruiting would be the big question with him.

jgphillips3

I like him.  I think he has a brilliant offensive mind.  If we can't hit a home run or a triple, I would consider him a solid double.

Seebs

Winners win and don't wear glasses.  Enos gets Steak knives.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Boardon Hamsay

I am under contractual obligations to vote Frito Pie until 2021. My buyout is $15.4M or $147, whichever is the best offer at the time of buyout.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

grayhawg

As head coach at central michigan he was 26-36

swineology

Needs to be fired with Bert

Memhogs

Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

allredhog

Quote from: grayhawg on October 16, 2017, 07:30:40 pm

This.  I think he is a very good OC but not sure about running the whole show.  We have seen many DCs and OCs that make the jump to HC and it did not work out.
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

Dark Helmet Hog

He wasn't getting it done as a head coach when we hired him.

farmhawg

Quote from: clew on October 16, 2017, 05:23:14 pm
I'm waiting on my wife to get out of surgery here in Houston, so I'm passing the time trying to catch up on the fallout from Saturday. I realize that Enos carries Bielema's (substantial) baggage, but I do think he's a really creative and timely play caller. I don't necessarily blame him for us being no dimensional on offense right now—think that's due to the OL musical chairs. The list of coaches bandied about for the last several days is uninspiring to say the least. What is the HV mood on elevating Enos to head coach with the freedom to bring in who he wants and run the higher octane offense we have seen glimpses of in the past?  Why or why not? (Apologies if this exact topic has already been discussed—didn't see it and the mobile app gave me an error when I tried to search for it)
Hope all goes well with your wife, been married 27 years and it would be a pain to retrain one. And hell no to your question.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Roaringboar

Nope......we just need to clean house......I wouldn't mind him running things if we fired Bielema tommorrow, but only on an interem basis......I was very disappointed his recievers couldn't catch better than what they did in that game, and he is just as responsible for the O-line as the coordinator as our O-line coach.........I mean, I am more disappointed in our offense than our defense......I knew from day 1 our defense would be bad because we were changing systems, and the guy who we promoted to run our D led the worst unit on our D LAST season.......I never understood Rhodes promotion.......but Enos, though I like the guy, I don't think he has what it takes to make it at the next level.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

clew

Thanks for the well wishes. She's recovering in a hospital room tonight after getting her gallbladder and appendix removed.

Really appreciate both sides of the discussion. Personally, I would take him over a lot of the coaches that have been mentioned, but I understand why he may not be the best choice.
Pure as the dawn

Tusks

I want a pure spread guy.  Not HUNH but spread.  Enos took his program away from the spread when he was hired to a more pro set.  That's why he was hired at the UA, or so fans were told, because he was a pro set guy.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WaltonCollege

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 16, 2017, 06:37:03 pm
Please elaborate on these garbage adjustments. What are these adjustments and what would have you done differently? Can you dive deeper into the development of our TEs and why that's Enos' fault? Also, what were your expectations for our receivers?
Ugh like our whole offense. He lost playmakers:Skipper,Gragg,Henry,AC,Kirk,Jwill,Morgan,Hatcher,etc.
Now his ticks are showing as Slimfast Jim Cheney would say. Enos is the GM of our offense and man we stink.

clutch

I think Enos's style is a big factor in the drop off we've seen offensively. I think he relies too heavily on the screen game. He wanted offensive linemen that can give us a screen game. It made us get away from the identity that we were building, smash mouth, run it down your throat whenever we want.

I also don't like a lot of his play calling. A lot of it is really slow developing. He calls a lot of play actions on 3rd and forever, which I just don't get. If it's 3rd and 17 everyone knows we are going to throw it. Quit play actioning and using up valuable time. OL can only block so long.

I liked his play calling a lot more his first year here. He knew we were built to run, and he ran the ball and effectively used the play action off of it. In the following years though he has taken us from the identity that we were establishing to having absolutely no identity on offense. We don't scare anyone with the run, therefore we don't open anything up on play action.

I've also been very skeptical of his ability in short yardage situations the past few years. We've been terrible in Goal situations. This season, if it's 3rd and 1-3 yards we are dead in the water. I'd almost rather see us in a 3rd and 7 situation to where we might pass for a 1st down. We've gone from a team that could take 2 yards whenever we wanted to a team that can't convert a 3rd and 1 to save our lives.

I don't buy all that "Bielema is taking over playcalling" stuff. Enos can't have all the credit when stuff works and get none of the blame when stuff isn't working.

widespreadsooie

Enos' offense did quite fine before we hired Kurt Anderson. Kurt Anderson is poison and Bret (not even fun to call him Bert anymore) started digging his grave when he didn't fire him after year one. Offensive line play is ultimately Bret's demise.

Qui Gon Jinn

No.  It may be that he's being held back, but  his offensive calls leave many of us scratching our heads way too often.  Combine that with his previous record as a head coach and all I can come up with, I think we can do better.  So why settle for Enos?
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 09:21:40 pm
No.  It may be that he's being held back, but  his offensive calls leave many of us scratching our heads way too often.  Combine that with his previous record as a head coach and all I can come up with, I think we can do better.  So why settle for Enos?

I don't think anyone was scratching their head before Kurt Anderson was here. Enos, was in fact praised for his play calling, and a lot of people were worried we would lose him.

31to6

I think he would make a fantastic *interim* head coach to finish out the season if things go further south.

I don't see anything in his resume that tells me he can do better at Arkansas in the SEC than he did at Central Michigan in the MAC, where he had a 18-22 conference record.

By way of comparison, both Butch Jones and Brian Kelly were able to win the MAC at the same school.

Frito Pie.

widespreadsooie

So my question is...if we're going the "up and comer route," why not Enos over Norvell, etc.?

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 09:23:51 pm
I don't think anyone was scratching their head before Kurt Anderson was here. Enos, was in fact praised for his play calling, and a lot of people were worried we would lose him.
Fair enough.  However, I'm still not sold on him as a head coach.

GoHogs1091

Nope.

We have been seeing that his MAC offense doesn't work consistently well in the SEC.

He is just not cut-out to be a Head Coach.  His last job shows that he is not.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 19, 2017, 09:32:39 pm
Nope.

We have been seeing that his MAC offense doesn't work consistently well in the SEC.

He is just not cut-out to be a Head Coach.  His last job shows that he is not.

His last job had him front runner for a lot of HC jobs, some power 5, but he chose to be an OC in the SEC. It's not an Enos issue, our O line is bottom of the barrel. Nobody saw this coming and its costing Bret his job.

oldhog63

I don't know what is going on with the offense this year. Obviously we are not privy to the game planning or the in game conversations, but it seems to me that there is a flow to the offense and then all of a sudden there is the "WTH was that play or series" that just gets everything off track. Not sure where that comes from, so hard to tell if it is all Enos or if Bielema is influencing play calling.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: oldhog63 on October 19, 2017, 09:40:28 pm
I don't know what is going on with the offense this year. Obviously we are not privy to the game planning or the in game conversations, but it seems to me that there is a flow to the offense and then all of a sudden there is the "WTH was that play or series" that just gets everything off track. Not sure where that comes from, so hard to tell if it is all Enos or if Bielema is influencing play calling.

It's all offensive line. We have inexperience at WR, a lot of it. But it all starts on the line. You can't move forward until your grounded in the trenches. Bret and Kurt must go way back because coach is losing his job for him.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 09:37:40 pm
His last job had him front runner for a lot of HC jobs, some power 5, but he chose to be an OC in the SEC. It's not an Enos issue, our O line is bottom of the barrel. Nobody saw this coming and its costing Bret his job.

I see you posted that you like Enos.  I think he's a good guy and a good OC.  But a 18-22 MAC record isn't what we are looking for in a head coach.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 09:47:01 pm
I see you posted that you like Enos.  I think he's a good guy and a good OC.  But a 18-22 MAC record isn't what we are looking for in a head coach.

He's a young guy, everyone starts somewhere. I understand it's just my opinion, and apparently not a very popular one, but I will guarantee you that Enos will go on to coach a power 5 school. Very soon. It'll probably be pretty sad to see the threads started on this board when he has semi success somewhere else. 

oldhog63

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 09:43:05 pm
It's all offensive line. We have inexperience at WR, a lot of it. But it all starts on the line. You can't move forward until your grounded in the trenches. Bret and Kurt must go way back because coach is losing his job for him.
I agree the OL is a huge liability, but it still seems like plays are being called to minimize that liability and the offense is moving and then all of a sudden we change course to maximizing that liability. Like the mentality is to continuously keep trying to see if this is the time they have figured it out.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 09:52:12 pm
He's a young guy, everyone starts somewhere. I understand it's just my opinion, and apparently not a very popular one, but I will guarantee you that Enos will go on to coach a power 5 school. Very soon. It'll probably be pretty sad to see the threads started on this board when he has semi success somewhere else. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this.  He may very well go on to be successful somewhere.  He may not.  I just don't want the experiment here.  Many have had enough. 

widespreadsooie

Quote from: oldhog63 on October 19, 2017, 09:55:34 pm
I agree the OL is a huge liability, but it still seems like plays are being called to minimize that liability and the offense is moving and then all of a sudden we change course to maximizing that liability. Like the mentality is to continuously keep trying to see if this is the time they have figured it out.

I agree, it's probably a guessing game at times I think. The fact we're discussing liabilities is an issue.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 09:58:28 pm
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this.  He may very well go on to be successful somewhere.  He may not.  I just don't want the experiment here.  Many have had enough. 

Experimentation is a good point. What coach do we bring in who isn't an experiment? I don't know if too many known names are in play.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 10:01:27 pm
Experimentation is a good point. What coach do we bring in who isn't an experiment? I don't know if too many known names are in play.

No names are in play.  That's the point.  Its all speculation and "who do you want" at this point.  We have a coach and no official search.  We don't even know for sure if we will have one.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 10:03:44 pm
No names are in play.  That's the point.  Its all speculation and "who do you want" at this point.  We have a coach and no official search.  We don't even know for sure if we will have one.

It's an ultimate reality but we will cross that bridge when we get there. I'm thinking we cross that bridge at the end of the season and all of the coaching search discussion is legitimate and well deserved. 

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 10:12:23 pm
It's an ultimate reality but we will cross that bridge when we get there. I'm thinking we cross that bridge at the end of the season and all of the coaching search discussion is legitimate and well deserved. 
I don't disagree that it seems we are heading in that direction and coaching change discussions are fair game.  However, they are all speculation at this point and no one is "in play".  When the decision makers start interviewing and throwing around names we can call them "in play".  Until then, its all just a discussion amongst fans and nothing else.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 10:17:56 pm
I don't disagree that it seems we are heading in that direction and coaching change discussions are fair game.  However, they are all speculation at this point and no one is "in play".  When the decision makers start interviewing and throwing around names we can call them "in play".  Until then, its all just a discussion amongst fans and nothing else.

Absolutely. Speculating is too easy sometimes. Should be an interesting next couple years for our football program.

I would hope we find an up and comer who hasn't been horsefricked by this group of idiots currently in charge.  We need a person who hasn't learned yet that, yes, you really can lose.  I want a person who has fire in his belly, refuses to lay down and give up, doesn't know you cannot recruit to Arkansas, and isn't setting a huge buyout and a signed contract for 5 or more years.  He also needs to operate a scheme that actually has a good chance at actually working.

Dan Enos is not that person.  Likely a good Dude but not our HC, please.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: grayhawg on October 16, 2017, 07:30:40 pm

He moved from a spread to a pro style. Didn't have the horses to win.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

clutch

I just don't understand why anyone would want him as our HC. Not even talking about or considering his record as a HC. With the state that the program is in, we don't need to hire from within. Especially when our offense has been such a liability. Line play has been horrendous, but a lot of that has to do with Enos's and Anderson's styles just not meshing I think. One guy wants linemen who can get out in space and have a dynamic screen game, the other wants linemen who can get downhill and plow away. You end up with a line that can't do either, and in turn, an ineffective offense. I'd have more confidence in Enos if I saw that he had the ability to adapt to his surroundings and adjust his offense to fit his team and his position coaches.

I've never been blown away by his play calling. He's had a few plays I really liked, but overall, I thought he was good but not great. Even in his first year here. I thought a lot of the stuff he did was opened up by the very good run game we already had in place. He's gone backwards ever since.

kodiakisland

Enos seems like a fine guy, but when and where has he had success?  As a head coach, he was 26-36 before coming to Arkansas.  While at Arkansas, our record has been 17-15.  That Arkansas record probably won't look as good at the end of this year.

I want a coach associated with winning.  Not another head coach who lost his job somewhere else like Bielema is prone to hiring.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ToddW

Enos just isn't proven.  He probably is a good play caller when all the right players are there. 
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Seems that most of you are forgetting that Bret has the last say in what this team will do, not Enos.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

The Boar War

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 19, 2017, 09:28:56 pm
So my question is...if we're going the "up and comer route," why not Enos over Norvell, etc.?

Because a good percentage of a coaching hire is restoring hope in the fans and recruits.  Promoting the oc of a failed regime would send the wrong message especially since one of the big problems is the inability to score points.