Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal Detectors at Stadium

Started by jcbville, April 23, 2017, 02:10:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbville

"Having metal detectors as part of that plan was important, so it was included in the language," Dismang said, adding that the law leaves open details like where they might be set up or whether wands, as opposed to walk-in units, might be appropriate.

"The thought was that if you're asking people to unarm themselves to attend an event, then they needed to be provided assurance that they're in a safe place."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/report-arkansas-wants-metal-detectors-razorback-stadium/

Poker_hog

Unfortunately in today's world it's needed.  College football games are a very high profile soft target.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jcbville

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 23, 2017, 02:50:35 pm
Unfortunately in today's world it's needed.  College football games are a very high profile soft target.

I agree. Was curious about others opinions.

Inhogswetrust

Every event we went to when we attended the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics we had to go through security checks and metal detectors. Every time I go to get on a plane I have to do so. I walk through metal detectors every time I go to a Grizzlies game. I bet that's the same at most NBA arena's. It should be that way for all football stadiums as well. I have no problem with it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pigsknuckles

Damn...guess I will just have to bite my nails as opposed to neatly clipping them.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 23, 2017, 02:50:35 pm

How many shootings or any other type of attack have happened at a college football event?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BigoBoys

Poker_hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 23, 2017, 06:23:38 pm
How many shootings or any other type of attack have happened at a college football event?

How many jets flew into skyscrapers before 2001?

One of the suicide bombers in Paris had a ticket to the soccer game but couldn't get through security.  It's a legit threat. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HamSammich

wow.....

really?...... just wow.

How many times have a truck driver killed over 80 people in france on a street before 2015.... times change. stick your head in the sand if you want. thank god the rest of the world isn't.

Inhogswetrust

How many have happened on a Boulevard next to a beach. How many at a nightclub. How many at a church. How about a bomb in a park during the Olympics. What does it matter. All it takes is one. Reasonable precautions against one lone nut, terrorist or group can be taken.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

This is standard procedure at every pro stadium I've been to.  You had to "deal with" metal detectors if you went to the Belk Bowl, Texas Bowl, SW Classic, and/or Cotton Bowl.  In my experience it makes the entry process more efficient/quicker.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

If you're worried, buy a plastic flask......

J-Five

"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

HiggiePiggy

No offense there is nothing that can stop a person from killing a lot of people at sporting events. Are you going to stop having crowds at the entrances? Are you going to stop having tail gates?  If some nut case wanted to kill a bunch of people at a sporting event why the hell would they bother going into the actual stadium?  It would be easier to stand outside waiting in a group of people and blowing yourself up with about 100 plus people around you. Or standing at a distance and shooting people.  There is nothing that can prevent mass shootings at sporting events.

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 24, 2017, 08:55:29 am
No offense there is nothing that can stop a person from killing a lot of people at sporting events. Are you going to stop having crowds at the entrances? Are you going to stop having tail gates?  If some nut case wanted to kill a bunch of people at a sporting event why the hell would they bother going into the actual stadium?  It would be easier to stand outside waiting in a group of people and blowing yourself up with about 100 plus people around you. Or standing at a distance and shooting people.  There is nothing that can prevent mass shootings at sporting events.

No, but it would be harder for someone to bring in a weapon now, correct? It's the standard at most events these days, no biggie.

k.c.hawg

We've done metal detectors at Kauffman Stadium and Arrowhead for several years now. The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL now have mandated metal detectors. As a CC permit holder I was always fine leaving my firearm in the car during the game but I would also like the assurance that they are doing all the can to make sure everyone else does as well. They used wands for a couple of years and went to walkthroughs. Walkthroughs are much more efficient.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2017, 09:54:40 am
No, but it would be harder for someone to bring in a weapon now, correct? It's the standard at most events these days, no biggie.

I'm just curious to know how many actual attacks have happened inside a stadium. The metal detectors don't bother me at all.  I just want to know how many actual attacks INSIDE the stadium have happen with a weapon?

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 24, 2017, 12:04:45 pm
I'm just curious to know how many actual attacks have happened inside a stadium. The metal detectors don't bother me at all.  I just want to know how many actual attacks INSIDE the stadium have happen with a weapon?

Then I would Google it, if I was that interested.

hogsanity

I can not believe anyone would have an issue with this. I had to go through metal detectors and empty my pockets to go see both the Mavs and Stars in Dallas. The Cards in STl, Braves in ATL, Reds, Pirates, Rangers. It is just part of it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

I have 100% no issue with it, because random acts of violence for all intents and purposes cannot be "prevented".  They can be lessened, or mitigated in some way, but if you are going to get struck by lightening you are going to get struck by lightening.

I think to many people see the news from half way around the world and think they are going to suddenly wake up tomorrow in podunk arkansas as the No. 1 target for a terrorist attack...

When they are more likely to die from eating fast food every day.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I hope they at least have wands so I can get in with all of the metal in my shoulder. I definitely set them off every time...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HamSammich on April 23, 2017, 08:03:25 pm
wow.....

really?...... just wow.

How many times have a truck driver killed over 80 people in france on a street before 2015.... times change. stick your head in the sand if you want. thank god the rest of the world isn't.
HAVING a pistol on hand wouldnt have stopped any of that, but, this isnt the place for a political discussion. it will get you banned. stop, please.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DocHawg

This is actually a much bigger deal than you think. When the NFL started using metal detectors a few years ago, the wait to get into the stadium increased dramatically. I make it to one or two games a year in Fayetteville, and am surprised how long the lines are and how long it takes to get into the stadium, especially at the southwest entrance, even without metal detectors. Adding metal detectors is going to be a nightmare. Fans better be prepared to wait an extra 20-30 minutes more to get into the stadium, i.e. earlier arrival and leaving your tailgate earlier.

goodguytex

All of us should've expected metal detectors to happen sooner or later at razorback games.  Just something all of us will have to get used to. 

LRHog

All of those situations you listed would cause less damage than once 72,000 fans are in their extremely tightly packed seats cheering those hogs through the A.

Take your head out of the sand, if you're not gonna shoot anyone this doesnt bother you or impact you in any way.

LRHog

Quote from: DocHawg on April 25, 2017, 10:27:51 am
This is actually a much bigger deal than you think. When the NFL started using metal detectors a few years ago, the wait to get into the stadium increased dramatically. I make it to one or two games a year in Fayetteville, and am surprised how long the lines are and how long it takes to get into the stadium, especially at the southwest entrance, even without metal detectors. Adding metal detectors is going to be a nightmare. Fans better be prepared to wait an extra 20-30 minutes more to get into the stadium, i.e. earlier arrival and leaving your tailgate earlier.

Lmao, I go in through gate 1 every game every season, never waited in line more than 5 minutes. Stop over exaggerating.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2017, 07:28:19 am
If you're worried, buy a plastic flask......

Lol, that was my first thought.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This...
Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 11:14:36 am
All of those situations you listed would cause less damage than once 72,000 fans are in their extremely tightly packed seats cheering those hogs through the A.

Take your head out of the sand, if you're not gonna shoot anyone this doesnt bother you or impact you in any way.

Aaaannnnndd This..

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 11:15:29 am
Lmao, I go in through gate 1 every game every season, never waited in line more than 5 minutes. Stop over exaggerating.

I guess it's just who you are. So many insults to use, So little time...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 11:14:36 am

My head isn't in the sand. I also said I don't have a problem with them. All I am saying is that terrorist or whoever isn't going to spend a lot of time trying to blow up an entire stadium. Their goal is to put fear into every day folks by doing small random killings at different spots to make people be afraid.

Hawgar The Horrible

No offense there is nothing that can stop a person from killing a lot of people at sporting events. Are you going to stop having crowds at the entrances? Are you going to stop having tail gates?  If some nut case wanted to kill a bunch of people at a sporting event why the hell would they bother going into the actual stadium?  It would be easier to stand outside waiting in a group of pewe 21stople and blowing yourself up with about 100 plus people around you. Or standing at a distance and shooting people.  There is nothing that can prevent mass shootings at sporting events.

I rarely agree with you. Don't think it has ever happened before, but you are correct. European cafe's have been blown to bits from the outside in.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

majestic

Just another way to get a few more dollars out of you in the name of safety. TSA offers pre-check. Major stadiums will soon offer something similar, I'd bet.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: majestic on April 25, 2017, 06:01:58 pm
Just another way to get a few more dollars out of you in the name of safety. TSA offers pre-check. Major stadiums will soon offer something similar, I'd bet.

People that fly a lot are flying every week or at least twice to three times a month like my son does. He spends almost as much time on a plane as he does in the office. He flies internationally a LOT and does TSA pre-check. It isn't expensive but something like that does require some background checks, etc. For only a few games a year for a few hours I doubt it would ever be offered.

hogsanity

Quote from: DocHawg on April 25, 2017, 10:27:51 am

Have you ever been to a pro sports event in the last decade. They all have metal detectors, and it does not add more than maybe a minute or two to the wait. I was in Dallas over spring break, went to the Mavs and Stars games, literally walked up threw the stuff from my pockets in the basket, walked through, picked it up and went on. Took MAYBE 30 seconds. Went to a couple sold out baseball games last year, no hassle either.

And heaven forbid someone have to leave their tailgate a little early.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on April 26, 2017, 08:57:16 am
Have you ever been to a pro sports event in the last decade. They all have metal detectors, and it does not add more than maybe a minute or two to the wait. I was in Dallas over spring break, went to the Mavs and Stars games, literally walked up threw the stuff from my pockets in the basket, walked through, picked it up and went on. Took MAYBE 30 seconds. Went to a couple sold out baseball games last year, no hassle either.

I went to an Atlanta Falcons game a couple years back and it was a nightmare waiting in line because of the metal detectors and everyone getting scanned. I agree with what he said, this will be a much longer process...at least add another 20 minutes to get in stadium.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 26, 2017, 09:04:51 am
I went to an Atlanta Falcons game a couple years back and it was a nightmare waiting in line because of the metal detectors and everyone getting scanned. I agree with what he said, this will be a much longer process...at least add another 20 minutes to get in stadium.

I've had the exact opposite experience at the SW Classic, Texas Bowl, and Belk Bowl - all at pro stadiums with metal detectors. The security staff at ATT stadium were efficient at getting people in the stadium once the gates open - at least at the 5 games I've attended there.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on April 26, 2017, 09:25:39 am
I've had the exact opposite experience at the SW Classic, Texas Bowl, and Belk Bowl - all at pro stadiums with metal detectors. The security staff at ATT stadium were efficient at getting people in the stadium once the gates open - at least at the 5 games I've attended there.

Yep. I have been to all kinds of pro games in Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, ATL, Arlington, Dallas, STL and never had more than a minute or two delay due to the metal detectors.

Now, sure, you get in a line where everyone has all kinds of stuff they are trying to bring in, or a machine malfunctions, then yea it will be slower.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on April 26, 2017, 09:38:24 am
Yep. I have been to all kinds of pro games in Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, ATL, Arlington, Dallas, STL and never had more than a minute or two delay due to the metal detectors.

Now, sure, you get in a line where everyone has all kinds of stuff they are trying to bring in, or a machine malfunctions, then yea it will be slower.
May have just been that one game or maybe they were short staffed that day, but it took forever. Almost missed kickoff and thought I was getting there early. Seems like when I go to concerts I've never had an issue and that's metal detector galore.

Guess it's going to depend on how it's set up and the staff and quantity of them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DocHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 26, 2017, 08:57:16 am

Hmmm, let me think, "Have I ever been to a pro sports event?"
I've  missed 3 Home Texans game in their entire existence. Have had season tickets to the Rockets since they played at The Summit, have been to countless NBA, NFL, MLB playoff games, Two Super Bowls and several World Series games,  so the answer is Yes.

I am just pointing out that before the Texans installed detectors a few years ago, there was minimal wait to enter the stadium.  The first several games it was close to a 30 minute wait which prompted the Texans to send several letters of apologies to the season ticket holders. It is better now, maybe 10 minutes. The first few games there will be a huge learning curve for security, as well as the fans. There is no doubt in my mind the Athletic department will under staff the detectors and it will be a cluster, especially for the first several games.  Just wait and see.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 26, 2017, 09:55:29 am

Guess it's going to depend on how it's set up and the staff and quantity of them.

agree those things will be a big factor in time involved.

jkstock04

Quote from: DocHawg on April 26, 2017, 10:10:11 am
Hmmm, let me think, "Have I ever been to a pro sports event?"
I've  missed 3 Home Texans game in their entire existence. Have had season tickets to the Rockets since they played at The Summit, have been to countless NBA, NFL, MLB playoff games, Two Super Bowls and several World Series games,  so the answer is Yes.

I am just pointing out that before the Texans installed detectors a few years ago, there was minimal wait to enter the stadium.  The first several games it was close to a 30 minute wait which prompted the Texans to send several letters of apologies to the season ticket holders. It is better now, maybe 10 minutes. The first few games there will be a huge learning curve for security, as well as the fans. There is no doubt in my mind the Athletic department will under staff the detectors and it will be a cluster, especially for the first several games.  Just wait and see.
lol I guarantee you the first couple of games it will be exactly that...a cluster ****. There will be lots of pissed off people who miss kickoff clueless as to why. For the students it'll be an even bigger nightmare as that line is already a mile long without metal detectors.'

I'm in envy of your fandom. 2 Super Bowls? Wow. I couldn't stomach dropping 5k for an average seat at the super bowl.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys