Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Vegas revealed to me...

Started by Swinesong1, November 25, 2012, 12:40:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

These are my opinions and I am in no way trying to come across as an expert:
Don't have a problem with the press at all but what is troubling and needs to be stressed is halfcourt "D"!  The problems as I see them:
a.  Too many times a Hog defender was caught looking at the ball and lost track of his man. 
b. Too much reaching! 
c.  Please quit doubling down on big men.  Let them at least show they can do damage scoring inside and then adjust.  I grew hoarse yelling "why" when repeatedly seeing a Hog defender leave their man to help down low.  If you notice, most three pointers made by opposing team aren't contested.  Unless you call a Hog defender desperately running at him after doubling down conested.
d.  Do not play man-to-man whenever Madden is on the floor!  He is too slow afoot to keep any man in front of him.
e. If BJ Young would expend half the energy on defense that he uses on offense, he would be amazing.  Too many times he plays matador defense just to hurriedly call for the ball from the man inbounding after his man either scored or assisted.
f.  No hustle at all when playing zone.  I watched VCU play and their guys aggressively and hurriedly follow the ball (while not allowing ballhandler to drive past them) and are not out of control while doing so.
g.  Rebounding has got to be by committee!  Clark and at times Young and Qualls seem to be the only Hogs who aren't afraid to go after rebounds.  Too many others are just standing there.  It has zero to do with Anderson's system!  It's about having want to!
On the offensive end:
Someone other than Young has got to look to penetrate and make plays.  The ball is dying in the hands of everyone else.  Madden lacks the quickness to do anything off the dribble.  Powell lacks explosiveness.  Scott can, and does, penetrate but more times than not he's out of control when he gets to the paint.  Wade, bless his heart, is trying to diversify his game but right now he needs to embrace his role as a spot-up long range shooter.  Jacorey needs to just let loose and not worry about being pulled if he misses a few or makes a mistake.   I personally feel he has the most potential as an offensive weapon but he seems to defer to the upperclassmen.
At some point Anderson is gonna have to use the non-conference schedule to let Bell, Wagner, Williams and Qualls have on-the-job training at the expense of platooning and even mistakes  'casue these four bring certain skills that are sorely lacking in the upperclassmen.  Cut Scott's, Mick's and Madden's minutes some and let the 2012 class develop.

InHOGuration Ball

I was there and what Vegas revealed to me is that need to get some men.   Not enough muscle on our guys to be effective in defending, rebounding, and scoring in the paint.  Everything else will improve when this happens.   I just hope that we can make the NIT.   

Rooster Hogburn

Too many words for me to take seriously on a blog
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Arazorbackguy1

Those Vegas games reminded me of the downhill days of Nolan
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

PORKULATOR

I was reminded of how much gambling sucks. You list a team as a favorite in the Vegas invitational and they will achieve victory or they'll get an a$$ load of deadball fouls and other reasons to score w/o the clock moving.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

mycul222

What did Coach Anderson say to make the team go from settling for questionable three point attempts every other possession to nearly refusing to try a long range shot? Talk about a major change in offensive philosophy. Did we try any 3s in the second half?

stan the man

I'm disappointed, but its going to take some time for Mike to work with these players. I believe they will improve as the year goes by

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 25, 2012, 12:40:42 pm
These are my opinions and I am in no way trying to come across as an expert:
Don't have a problem with the press at all but what is troubling and needs to be stressed is halfcourt "D"!  The problems as I see them:
a.  Too many times a Hog defender was caught looking at the ball and lost track of his man. 
b. Too much reaching! 
c.  Please quit doubling down on big men.  Let them at least show they can do damage scoring inside and then adjust.  I grew hoarse yelling "why" when repeatedly seeing a Hog defender leave their man to help down low.  If you notice, most three pointers made by opposing team aren't contested.  Unless you call a Hog defender desperately running at him after doubling down conested.
d.  Do not play man-to-man whenever Madden is on the floor!  He is too slow afoot to keep any man in front of him.
e. If BJ Young would expend half the energy on defense that he uses on offense, he would be amazing.  Too many times he plays matador defense just to hurriedly call for the ball from the man inbounding after his man either scored or assisted.
f.  No hustle at all when playing zone.  I watched VCU play and their guys aggressively and hurriedly follow the ball (while not allowing ballhandler to drive past them) and are not out of control while doing so.
g.  Rebounding has got to be by committee!  Clark and at times Young and Qualls seem to be the only Hogs who aren't afraid to go after rebounds.  Too many others are just standing there.  It has zero to do with Anderson's system!  It's about having want to!
On the offensive end:
Someone other than Young has got to look to penetrate and make plays.  The ball is dying in the hands of everyone else.  Madden lacks the quickness to do anything off the dribble.  Powell lacks explosiveness.  Scott can, and does, penetrate but more times than not he's out of control when he gets to the paint.  Wade, bless his heart, is trying to diversify his game but right now he needs to embrace his role as a spot-up long range shooter.  Jacorey needs to just let loose and not worry about being pulled if he misses a few or makes a mistake.   I personally feel he has the most potential as an offensive weapon but he seems to defer to the upperclassmen.
At some point Anderson is gonna have to use the non-conference schedule to let Bell, Wagner, Williams and Qualls have on-the-job training at the expense of platooning and even mistakes  'casue these four bring certain skills that are sorely lacking in the upperclassmen.  Cut Scott's, Mick's and Madden's minutes some and let the 2012 class develop.
Very good assesment... I can not dissagree.