Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on the Fake FG . . .

Started by TeufelHog, October 03, 2015, 11:42:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TeufelHog

I personally thought it was a horrible call . . . I gotta know what you think and why?

PORKULATOR

If it would've worked, we'd have talked about what a great call it was.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

soso

Playing for the win. I loved it. But hated  the clock management at the end of the first half. Basically two mediocre teams.

yraciv

I thought Hedlund was kicking the ball low all night, so I understand not having confidence in him. Obviously it's easy to say we should have kicked the FG when it didn't work, but I can see the thought between trying to catch them off guard. Get it, we punch it and it is all but over.

Only thing I don't get is why McFain was in there for it.  I think that tipped them off!

arkansasrazorback

Rather go for it with offense on the field.

regi

It was a calculated good call, Tennessee kid beat Sprinke's block or it is a great call. We were up by more than a FG. Tennessee had 13 Offensive points, If Dak Prescott, Allen at A&M, or Mahomes is the QB at UT, you kick it, but Dobbs and UT do not have a good enough passing game to get in end zone. It was a great gamble, if you are a gambler.

aar0n

It was only about 2 feet short of being a "genius" play call/gamble.  A TD there would've put the game out of reach by far, and we'd be celebrating either way.

Arkansas Fan

We have no faith in Hedlund, I know that. But, we had the momentum, and as the announcer said, it would've been like a PAT. Make it and you have a seven point lead. I really thought we were gonna end up losing 27-24.

regi

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on October 03, 2015, 11:45:35 pm
Rather go for it with offense on the field.

....because BA has been so good in those situations late in the 4th

Hogarusa

Didn't get it or like it live.  Didn't hurt the Hogs as Tennessee went 3 and out and the D saved the bad play call.  It's all good in the end
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Baconomics

Obviously, we wanted the points.  But failure to convert was not the catastrophe that the announcers claimed.  UT was deep in their own territory.  Most teams go conservative deep in their own territory. We nearly got the turnover, and forced the punt.  This played well into our run-out-the-clock philosophy.  Had the offense converted on the ensuing possession, it would have been harmless.

In contrast, connecting on the FG would have led to a kickoff which may have alleviated their field possession problem.  Still, you want the points, but the decision was not as silly as some claim.

upperdeck_hawg

Going for the win. I liked it. If we kick it there and TN ties it, BB knows BA isnt going to pull it out in a late game situation. Trying to go up 11 was the right call there.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

jackflash

I have no problem with it. BB was trying to win the came has work before for us

reddogjcss

I think it was a call from a team determined to win, didn't work but was dang close and help set the tone for winning

STLHogFan

It was a bad call. But hey we survived and won.
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

the END.

I appreciate the guts to go, but question the call. You put new personnel out there and you're basically saying, "Hey! Look at me!"

I agree it's better than a miss as it pins them deeper than a missed FG would have done. Just would have preferred to line it up and try to draw them off then just go for it. Biggest line in football, right? (Everyone playing the game take a drink)

Hogsmo Kramer

Not a fan of it.

If we're gonna go for it I'd rather just line up the O and go for it that way.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

verticalhog

Totally stupid call.  You play the percentages.  To add insult to injury, you tipped off Tenner by putting in a different kicker.  This was some terrible coaching.  If they had gone for it with regular offense, I would have had no problem with the call.

pigture perfect

It was actually a great call that was poorly executed. A bad snap tipped UT off to an alternate play. Also if McFain would have cut it back a little earlier his momentum would have carried him a yard or so further upfield, which would have given us the 1st down. We were playing to win, and not to lose. Isn't that what some of our fans were complaining about?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

aar0n

Quote from: verticalhog on October 04, 2015, 12:44:24 am
Totally stupid call.  You play the percentages.  To add insult to injury, you tipped off Tenner by putting in a different kicker.  This was some terrible coaching.  If they had gone for it with regular offense, I would have had no problem with the call.

You realize that everybody and their brother absolutely lambasted Butch Jones last week for "playing the percentages" and using his chart, right?  Percentages can tell you a lot, but they can't tell you the circumstances in their entirety.

We kick the field goal, assuming we make it (and that's a pretty big assumption) we have to kick it off, and we've already seen what can happen on a kickoff once this game. 

Even if Tennesee gets a decent return, the field position is infinitely better than pinned deep, almost making a missed FG more worthwhile.  Well if your best/equal option is a missed field goal to pin them deep, why not go for the first down anyway?  Any forward yardage without actually getting the 1st down only pins them even deeper and puts even more pressure on a failing offense, so it's a win/win.  Either way Tennessee needed a touchdown, and we felt the odds of that happening were much slimmer with their backs to their endzone. 

Like I said earlier, it was literally only 2 feet shy of being a genius, heralded decision across the board.  But there wasn't much to lose to begin with, even with "failure" on the play. 

the END.

Quote from: aar0n on October 04, 2015, 01:06:27 am
You realize that everybody and their brother absolutely lambasted Butch Jones last week for "playing the percentages" and using his chart, right?  Percentages can tell you a lot, but they can't tell you the circumstances in their entirety.

We kick the field goal, assuming we make it (and that's a pretty big assumption) we have to kick it off, and we've already seen what can happen on a kickoff once this game. 

Even if Tennesee gets a decent return, the field position is infinitely better than pinned deep, almost making a missed FG more worthwhile.  Well if your best/equal option is a missed field goal to pin them deep, why not go for the first down anyway?  Any forward yardage without actually getting the 1st down only pins them even deeper and puts even more pressure on a failing offense, so it's a win/win.  Either way Tennessee needed a touchdown, and we felt the odds of that happening were much slimmer with their backs to their endzone. 

Like I said earlier, it was literally only 2 feet shy of being a genius, heralded decision across the board.  But there wasn't much to lose to begin with, even with "failure" on the play. 

Then just run a play with the vaunted line. You fail, Whatever. Putting a "trick" they see right through into the hands of a nervous person playing one or two downs? That's way outside percentages. That's inviting disaster.

Again I love they went for it. I just would have preferred a line them up, hard calls, switch a player or two, and run. You miss it's the same.

But it all worked out and as Hogs... We all know deep inside we loved it

hawgmasta

I definitely yelled WTH?! When it didn't work but if it did we would be calling him an ole maverick.

redeye

I don't think it was a bad call, but I would have preferred the FG.  Hedlund has to get his kicks up, but after the block, I think he would have.

FANONTHEHILL

Hedlund was getting no elevation on his kicks, so putting McFain out there didn't tip off anything.  If he gets another yard, it's a great move. They were more dangerous in their kickoff return game than their offense. And finally, what does a 1-3 team have to lose when there's a chance to put a team away?
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

It was a solid call. I personally would have probably kicked it, but I can't complain about the call.

Case 1: You kick it. We've had a couple kicks blocked now this season so there is no guarantee we even get the ball off. The previous kick attempt, I believe on the previous drive was just blocked. If you make it, it does nothing to guarantee a win, it only helps you to not lose in regulation. Make the fg or miss it, tenner still has to get a td regardless. Making it doesn't change what they have to do, only gives you an out (overtime) if you can't stop them.

Case 2: You go for it with the actual offense. Could have worked, but it wasn't exactly just 4th and 1. That would have been a tough conversion to pick up and it keys the defense by telling them explicitly you are going for it.

Case 3: Fake FG. You just had your last fg blocked and blocked kicks haven't been an anomaly for us either, so it makes sense not to trust it completely. Two, making the fg doesn't put us better position to win, only to delay the game into overtime if we can't stop them. If that happens, the crowd comes alive and making the td there is probably going to be harder than finishing the game here. However, it is a position where a FG is logical enough that a fake isn't obvious. It's not like, oh-no, we're faking the 68 yard fg or something. Now, there is the issue of the new kicker. However, Bielema does have a history of changing kickers and McFain was mostly our guy last season and Hedlund again just had one blocked. I agree that may have made the defense more cautious seeing a new kicker, but it wasn't out of the blue. Heck, we may see McFain next week as our kicker still.

Actual: The fake by and large did catch their defense by surprise. Watching it, it looked like there was clear sailing to a first down, if not a td. However, it was just an excellent play by their defender to get there and make the tackle. Further, it put them in very bad field position which our defense took advantage of.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

pigture perfect

I don't think we would have made the fg because of the bad snap. Man! I'm pumped about beating Tennersee.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Soooie21

sickboy

I would have kicked, but Bielema said they made the call because the kick was from the hash mark that Hedlund was struggling with. I get why they made the call. Thankfully it didn't hurt us.

ronmahony

I am all for going for it there, but I believe if it was me, I would have left the offense in. Like someone above said, try to pull them off. I think a quick pitch like they did to get that last first down would have worked. What happened to our kicking? Isn't this the guy everyone was talking about last year? The guy that was supposed to be the best in the country?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

sickboy

Quote from: ronmahony on October 04, 2015, 04:00:44 am
I am all for going for it there, but I believe if it was me, I would have left the offense in. Like someone above said, try to pull them off. I think a quick pitch like they did to get that last first down would have worked. What happened to our kicking? Isn't this the guy everyone was talking about last year? The guy that was supposed to be the best in the country?

Good point

SoonerSooie

My immediate reaction was "Gutsy call!" Given the circumstances, with our problems at kicker, and having them so deep in their end, I felt that it was a great call.

The real Hogules

I had no problem with the call, now the execution could have been better.
Additionally, as another poster mentioned had the kicker cut back just a little earlier he would have had the first down.
We were deep in UT territory, so even though we didn't make it Tennessee had the length of the field to go to score and as it turned out we held them to a 3 and out.
It will also give future opponents a little something extra to prepare for.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 04, 2015, 05:37:58 am
I had no problem with the call, now the execution could have been better.

Apparently, you are unaware, as has been pointed out hundreds of time over the past three weeks, that a lack of execution on a play is 100% CBB's fault. As we've been told, he doesn't teach these things in practice; just gives them days off.

/sarc

To the point of the post, I loved the call. Try to break their back when you have the opportunity.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: yraciv on October 03, 2015, 11:45:22 pm
I thought Hedlund was kicking the ball low all night, so I understand not having confidence in him. Obviously it's easy to say we should have kicked the FG when it didn't work, but I can see the thought between trying to catch them off guard. Get it, we punch it and it is all but over.

Only thing I don't get is why McFain was in there for it.  I think that tipped them off!

I would have had McFain in there regardless, but that's just me. I also would have tried the FG prior to the last previous 4th down play.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

urkillnmesmalls

I liked the call.  They had sold out to get the block previously, so I'm sure the thought was that they would be expecting us to kick to get up 7 and the staff hoped they would sell out again and it would be a stroll in the park for a TD.  That didn't happen, but it was actually not a bad situation on the edge, but the blocking just wasn't executed well.  They needed to either ride them wide to give him a lane inside, or pin them to give him the edge.  They did neither. 

With our inability to kick the ball deep into the endzone on most kickoffs, and their obviously good return game, it probably wasn't a bad gamble to go for it so that they were at least pinned back if it failed.  They hadn't proven they could pass it well enough to go 90 yards. 

I still have HUGE concerns about our play calling in the red zone.  When the field shrinks, we just seem to continue running the same plays.  I haven't yet figured out why our TE's are always 1" from the back line of the endzone, giving zero margin for error on the throws.  Our receivers just aren't able to get clear of the jams at the LOS, so the quick slants and things that other teams use just don't work for us.  For us to get it that close TWICE and not score a single point...was the most disconcerting thing about the game.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

code red

Horrible call.Kick it and go up 7.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

SemperFi

It was a great call that we came up just a little short on. A TD there and the game would have been over. Coach B played to win and I was glad to see the aggressive play calling.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

TNRazorbacker

It seemed retarded last night but now that Ive thought more about it I think it kind of made sense being 4 up and the defense playing well. We adjusted at half time to seal off the edge and that essentially ended TN's offense. We were winning the ineptitude battle between their passing game and our pass defense. We were up by 4 and the likilihood of them driving for a TD was in our favor. I also liked the aggressiveness. Conservative play calling alone has lost us a few of these close games.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lefty08

I am on board with the call, one thing i didnt want to see is us kicking off again in a 1 score game.....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

3kgthog

Bad decision and a bad play call. I never want to see a slow FG kicker trying to beat any defender to the edge. Take the points when you have a kick that close and that late to put you up a TD.

UT hadn't shown any ability to really hurt us with the pass, so take the chance on the FG and the D stopping an average QB after the kickoff. If they were worried about the returner, sky kick it short and away from him or squib it at someone else. Problem solved.

JenksHawg

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 03, 2015, 11:42:32 pm
I personally thought it was a horrible call . . . I gotta know what you think and why?

I don't think a field goal gets us anything there - puts us up 7, if they come down and score we're tied up and we end up losing end of regulation or OT - coach knows BA is incapable of winning when it counts so he goes for it to put us up 2 scores.  BA's never won us a game in OT, we always get beat by QBs that rise to the occasion, so yes it seems like a stupid call, but I think BB knows being up 7 is not better than being up 4.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Totally agreed with the call.  I was not for setting up for OT.   OT is not where you want to be on the road.  If you make the fake, you put the dagger in Tennessee, whereas, if you take the 3 points, you set youself up for OT.  Either way, the defense has to rise to the occasion, so go for the kill.

The coaches that pull out tight games in the SEC are usually not scared to gamble.  We've seen losses that Beilema wished he would have gambled here and there when he didn't.  To see the gut to gamble is a good thing..

jlhogfan

The Hogs D bailed out the call.  I thought it was definitely gutsy, he showed some faith in the defense. 

mckinneyhog5

Great call and we should have got the first down if Mcfain would have cut up the field earlier. Shows BB has some balls, especially after all the criticism he has taken over the last few weeks. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The real Hogules

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 04, 2015, 08:57:52 am
Bad decision and a bad play call. I never want to see a slow FG kicker trying to beat any defender to the edge. Take the points when you have a kick that close and that late to put you up a TD.

UT hadn't shown any ability to really hurt us with the pass, so take the chance on the FG and the D stopping an average QB after the kickoff. If they were worried about the returner, sky kick it short and away from him or squib it at someone else. Problem solved.

I don't understand how pushing the lead out to 7 with a FG and then giving Tennessee a short field to cover for a tie is a well thought out plan.
I liked us going for the jugular with the fake punt.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: redeye on October 04, 2015, 01:43:58 am
I don't think it was a bad call, but I would have preferred the FG.  Hedlund has to get his kicks up, but after the block, I think he would have.

He short strokes his kicks. If he doesn't learn to get a full stroke and get the ball up, we will see more blocked kicks in the future.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Pig In The City

I understand the need to be less conservative so I was not too out of joint about it, but at that point in the game you go for the FG. You play percentages and trying a fake FG that close to the goal isn't high percentage just for the mere sake that defensive players have less room to cover at the goal line. A coach doesn't ever want to be the reason a team loses. We got lucky.

ricepig

Call of the game, only thing he should have done was have Collins, RWIII, or Reed in as the kicker. Seriously, I see it both ways, I've got no problem with the call.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 03, 2015, 11:42:32 pm

If it works, the self-proclaimed football experts on message boards thump their chests and revel in how great a call it was.  Pulling out all stops, not being conservative, etc.

If it doesn't work then the "experts" starts posts about what a horrible call it was.