Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm always happy for a Hogs win, but I still think

Started by Cavehog, October 03, 2015, 11:14:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavehog

it would be more fun to run Baylor or TCU's offense. I know, you can't do that in the SEC.  And never with this coach.  But dammit, they're in the Top Ten.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

elksnort

Arkansas Fan

I think the offense we just saw was pretty fun and exciting to watch, when it works anyway. Some of y'all are bringing out the "as long as it's entertaining, I don't care if we lose" thing.

The Boar War

That offense looks pretty bad if it doesn't have good wr's and a good qb.

To me it's a lot like GT.  It's fun to watch another team run that type of offense but I would go crazy being invested in a team that ran the triple option.

Qadi999

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 03, 2015, 11:19:47 pm
I think the offense we just saw was pretty fun and exciting to watch, when it works anyway. Some of y'all are bringing out the "as long as it's entertaining, I don't care if we lose" thing.
Yeah cause its much better when were not entertaining and losing.

Cavehog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 03, 2015, 11:19:47 pm

So you'd rather finish 3rd or 4th in the SECW every year, than play in a different conference and compete for National Championships every year?  I have never understood that kind of masochism.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

arkfan81

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:24:05 pm
So you'd rather finish 3rd or 4th in the SECW every year, than play in a different conference and compete for National Championships every year?  I have never understood that kind of masochism.

Who cares what other schools offense looks like. There's nothing better then running the ball down your throat and you cant do anything about it.

Give me old school football any day
Have faith...

Cavehog

When I wake up on Sunday mornings, I don't feel great because we got our a** kicked by a perennial powerhouse. I get no pleasure thinking we might make it to Atlanta on a down year in the West.  I'd rather be drinking my coffee and wondering if we'll move up to number 2 or number 3 in the polls.  We've been so long without a championship of any kind, we've forgotten what it feels like.  And why we started buying season tickets in 1965.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:24:05 pm

.........What?

The Boar War

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:31:25 pm
When I wake up on Sunday mornings, I don't feel great because we got our a** kicked by a perennial powerhouse. I get no pleasure thinking we might make it to Atlanta on a down year in the West.  I'd rather be drinking my coffee and wondering if we'll move up to number 2 or number 3 in the polls.  We've been so long without a championship of any kind, we've forgotten what it feels like.  And why we started buying season tickets in 1965.

And all we have to do is throw it around the park?

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:14:46 pm
it would be more fun to run Baylor or TCU's offense. I know, you can't do that in the SEC.  And never with this coach.  But dammit, they're in the Top Ten.

Many of the teams that utilize this offense are not ranked at all. i.e., Oregon looks a lot different. West Virginia hasn't impressed.

Baylor and TCU have also had formidable defenses in the last couple of years.

Cavehog

No. We have proven we can't do that and win.  And we've proven that we usually can't run the ball and win. I went to my first Razorback game in 1962 when I was eight years old.  I'd just like to see them win one more trophy before I'm eighty.

lumphog

Well........be a Baylor or TCU fan, THIS is BIG BOY football & I like it

Torqued pork

Play Xbox or PlayStation.

I love watching our guys physically whip the other guys.

sickboy

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:40:31 pm
No. We have proven we can't do that and win.  And we've proven that we usually can't run the ball and win. I went to my first Razorback game in 1962 when I was eight years old.  I'd just like to see them win one more trophy before I'm eighty.

We just got a big win on the road and you want to switch to a pass happy offense and move to big 12? Pick the right time and place.

Torqued pork

Baylor should be banned from TV simply for the length of their games.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 04, 2015, 08:37:12 am
Baylor should be banned from TV simply for the length of their games.
LOL!  So true. 

Personally I hate their offense.  It's like watching Pop Warner football.  Just spread everyone out and give it to the fastest kid.  I loved it when they lost to UCF 2 years ago in the Fiesta bowl and then Mich st last year.  Baylor is a good team and they now have some decent defense but I still think the better defensive teams would slow them down dramatically.  Plus they have had the worst OOC schedule for years now.  They need to play somebody in their OOC games.  Anybody.  at least TCU played Minnesota the last 2 years. 

regi

Ole Miss and Tennessee run Baylor's offense, how that work out yesterday against people that hit you in the mouth?

Biggus Piggus

My only gripe was with the last three runs and punt when Arkansas needed to score. That was pathetic play calling.
[CENSORED]!

Capt. Hamm

We are 3rd in the league in total offense, just behind ole miss and a$m. I think our offense is fun to watch. If our defense can get back to last years' form we would be tough to handle.

bigdaddyhawg

Honestly, I'd rather the UA shut down the football program for freaking eternity than to watch that mickey mouse, sissy girl, 7-on-7 crap.

Right now, the Hogs are not a pretty football team, but, folks, the time is coming when they are going to kill those soft as cotton styled teams.

Just hide and watch.

And, trust me, it will be beautiful to watch!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WilsonHog

So....you want us to move to the Big XII so we can run the spread?

BorderPatrol

Albert Einswine

I don't know much about Cavehog, but if what I've read the past 10 hours is any indication, misery is his closest companion.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PORKULATOR

A lot of Stupid floating around here after a big road win. Tenner was 2 plays away from undefeated coming in. At home, and got drilled... Ran over. Now some want change. That's just stupid.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jlhogfan

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 04, 2015, 10:07:23 am
Beating the current Tennessee team on the road constitutes a big win? 

Yes it was a BIG win for the players

bigdaddyhawg

Any SEC road win is big.  You should know the truth of that.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawgon

I don't care about the offense we run but I care about not playing to win.  It was inexcusable to not take timeouts at the end of the first half when we could have had much more time on the clock.  Then we milked the clock.  Then when Collins got the big run, we still milked the clock and openly played for the field goal instead of taking a shot or two at the endzone.

The fake field goal was a head scratcher.  And once again, our offense was plainer than vanilla in the third.  In short, with the exception of the penalties, we did all the same things that have gotten us beat in SEC games before.  The difference was that Tennessee wasn't good enough to capitalize.

We need a two minute offense in this league and we need a killer instinct.  Those two things would go a longs ways towards making me feel better about Bielema.  But given that it is year three, I don't expect to see much change in either one.

goodguytex

Cavehog..... number 1, pick the right moment to bring around a thread like this.otherwise you look bad. #2....if Arkansas were to jump to the little 12 right now, it would show everyone we are quitters and didn't think we could hack it in the SEC. We would be a laughing stock. Had we now joined the SEC to begin with, and were still in the Big 12 trying to build a powerhouse, we wouldn't look like a bunch of sissies. Of course, if we had never joined the SEC i doubt we would have the nice facilities we have.

What we need to do is get our program right in the conference we are in. Win here, prove ourselves here. And its going to happen. Just be patient a little while longer.

Smokehouse

More times than not these offenses have gotten embarrassed if they make it to the national championship game. The system clearly doesn't lend itself to recruiting and maintaining a good enough defense and can get shut down if you've got a month to prepare for it.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

ronmahony

Oh I like to see a long pretty pass every now and again, but the second half was a thing of beauty. It would have been nice to score more, but we kept the ball out of their hands durned near the whole second half. You could see their defense dragging. And when we did turn the ball over to them, our defense was rested and ready. You just can't ask for any better.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 04, 2015, 09:44:01 am
My only gripe was with the last three runs and punt when Arkansas needed to score. That was pathetic play calling.

Yes, and we had them on the ropes.  Play action to Reed, a sweep to Collins or RW, anything different.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

lumphog

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 04, 2015, 10:12:57 am
Hmm....[Looking over Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina...well, the East in general] maybe you're half right.
NO ...... you're ALL wrong

Hawgzinbowlz

When we play Arkansas Football, minus penalties, it's as entertaining as any style. This is who we currently are and there are no gripes here.
My only complaint with last nights game was not calling a time out before Tenner's last punt. We could have saved 25 +/- seconds and give BA more plays to get a 1st half ending TD compared to the FG (we went into halftime with all 3 timeouts unused).
A win is the big picture so it didn't come back to bite us.
I'm proud to play Razorback football and this win may be the pivotal game of the season when it comes to making a bowl.

" GO HOGS "

hoghearted

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 04, 2015, 10:19:37 am
Yes, and we had them on the ropes.  Play action to Reed, a sweep to Collins or RW, anything different.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HF#1

I love our offense and wouldn't change a thing.  Just need to keep perfecting and adding talent.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jkstock04

Good luck with this the day after a win! Course, I'm putting it at 50/50 that this is a troll attempt...if so its a pretty good one.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ARtillahog

If Collins' doesn't slip, they get the first down while trying to run the clock down.  It was very conservative and I agree they needed a little more aggressive play calling that series, but I wouldn't deem it pathetic.

WoodyHog

Quote from: Cavehog on October 03, 2015, 11:31:25 pm

What are you advocating for?  Our withdrawing from the SEC and announcing that we'll be joining Conference USA?  That you would rather be a Baylor fan than an Arkansas fan?  I'm confused.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ARtillahog on October 04, 2015, 11:25:47 am
If Collins' doesn't slip, they get the first down while trying to run the clock down.  It was very conservative and I agree they needed a little more aggressive play calling that series, but I wouldn't deem it pathetic.

Vols had everybody up. It was doomed.
[CENSORED]!

greenie

Doesn't Auburn and Ole Miss run something similar?  I think it can be successful anywhere, but we're not running it...and I like what we're doing. 

Leaving the SEC would be a PR disaster for our program.  Like it or not, we're here to stay.

PORKULATOR

This thread still exists? I assumed by now, it'd be cinged by hellfire, buried in soft peat, the earth above it salted and cursed and finally the OP village lynched like Frankenstein's monster.

Wps
Never Yield
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

devildoghawg

I quite enjoy watching Collins truck people myself.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Augustus

I think it does.
- it's our 1st win in Neyland since 1992
- it's our 1st SEC road win in several years
- that Tennessee team only lost to Florida by 1 point, who beat the dogpiss out of Ole Miss (who beat Bama).  And, Tenn could have very easily won that game

And, to me... this is the most important take away from last night:
- We were down 14 points, early.  Instead of giving up & folding, our Players kept fighting and came back.  Robb Smith made adjustments and limited them to 3 points in the second half.

That last point is big time, IMO.  It shows that our players are still bought in. Even with all the injuries and some of the losses this season, they haven't/aren't giving up when faced with adversity.

hogsanity

Ive said for year there are many hog fans who would rater lose 56-53 than win 10-7. I believe cave is one of those.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2015, 08:08:43 pm
Ive said for year there are many hog fans who would rater lose 56-53 than win 10-7. I believe cave is one of those.

Personally, I'd rather win 10-3.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hog in MO

I can't stand spread football - its the devil! :)

Seriously - every wonder why we keep missing he kick off of so many 6:00 games? its because these stupid spread games last forever!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hog in MO on October 04, 2015, 08:13:46 pm
I can't stand spread football - its the devil! :)

Seriously - every wonder why we keep missing he kick off of so many 6:00 games? its because these stupid spread games last forever!!

Spread football sucks, give me pro-style every time. The Hatfield era drove me crazy because we were married to an offensive system everyone had either already shelved or were shelving in favor of pro-style sets and Kenny couldn't let the wishbone go.

The pro-style system will always be effective.

Hog in MO

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 04, 2015, 08:19:04 pm

Spread football sucks, give me pro-style every time. The Hatfield era drove me crazy because we were married to an offensive system everyone had either already shelved or were shelving in favor of pro-style sets and Kenny couldn't let the wishbone go.

Not to mention its what the PROS play.  I'll never understand why a big time recruit who aspires to play in the NFL would choose to play spread football in college.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 04, 2015, 08:19:04 pm

Maybe I'm crazy, but the offenses run by most NFL teams appears to be closer to what we refer to as a "hurry-up spread" than the slow down, run first what many call a "pro-style" offense on here.  But I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07