Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ain't Perspective Fun?

Started by Oklahawg, October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 pm Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:21:29 pm by Oklahawg
A win is a sum of its parts. Same as a loss.  You have to assume that every good play - and every bad one - contributes to the result. That fake FG sets up something on down the road for us. Or it doesn't, but there is a film crew from Bama now having to dissect personnel, etc., on FGs to see if we are tipping something. Then, they'll be practicing the various permutations.

If it fails, do we reconcile that we had a FG blocked and maybe we felt it was a reasonable risk? If it works, do we accept that there was a risk?

How can we second guess a season's worth of playcalling just to whine that the brilliant game-clincher - the BA counter-pitch to AC for the big gain late - wasn't called more this year? Might kill it's effectiveness and it doesn't work there.

I'll take things as the sum of parts - I am thrilled to have a road win in the SEC and to lay a clearer path to bowl eligibility.

Heal quickly Josh Williams, who looked to take a cheap-ish shot that caused the broken leg.

*cheers to all*

I will enjoy the week more than any all year. Bring on the Tide.

Note my post below on SEC and Top 25 results.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

incHOGnito

The fake kept the field position status quo. Tenner never really got out of the shadow of the goal post the whole second half. Pure genius!

Oklahawg

If the history of Arkansas football has been underHogs, out-sized, out-manned, out-classed rising up to win when they shouldn't...this was another chapter in that story. Not pretty, necessarily. Some clunkiness along the way, for sure. But, we did what we had to do.

I assure you, that W feels a whole lot better than I felt with an L a week ago.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PonderinHog

Any win at Tennessee is a good thing, no matter how inept they are.  23 years is a long time.

Oklahawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2015, 10:18:42 pm
Any win at Tennessee is a good thing, no matter how inept they are.  23 years is a long time.

Ain't that the truth?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 10:21:00 pm
Ain't that the truth?
I still haven't forgiven those bastards for '71.

Oklahawg

October 03, 2015, 10:30:15 pm #6 Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:08:47 pm by Oklahawg
Before we let anyone poo-poo the win...

#1 Ohio State had to defend a tying score in the EZ at game's end. At home vs Indiana, 34-27.
#2 Michigan State struggled at home vs Purdue, 24-21.
#3 Ole Miss was schooled by Florida, 38-10.
#6 ND lost to Clemson 24-22.
#7 UCLA lost at home to Arizona State, 38-23.
#8 UGA lost at home big-time to Bama, 38-10.
#9 LSU struggled for a while vs Eastern Michigan, before pulling away 44-22.
#11 Florida State struggled on the road, barely beating Wake Forest, 24-16.
#19 Wisconsin lost at home to Iowa in an exciting affair, 10-6.
#20 Oklahoma State had to come from behind to beat Kansas State, 36-34.

#14 A&M had a good challenge from MS State before winning, 30-17.
Vandy barely won, 17-13 vs Middle TN.
KY went OT with Eastern KY, winning 34-27.
Missouri beat USC-E in a ho-hum affair, 24-10.
Auburn struggled with San Jose State, 35-21.

A win is a win.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 10:30:15 pm

#1 Ohio State had to defend a tying score in the EZ at game's end. At home vs Indiana, 34-27.

A win is a win.

What sucks is a 3-1 Hogs would be back in the Top 25 with some momentum, and a 4-0 Hogs would be about #8 or so.

bigbadhog

Blind squirrel found a nut tonight...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 10:30:15 pm

#1 Ohio State had to defend a tying score in the EZ at game's end. On the road ATAt home vs Indiana, 34-27, BUT STILL.

A win is a win.

A win is a win!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

sickboy

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

I sure slept a lot better last night after that win than I do when we lose.
It was a must win game and we won - that's the bottom line.
Sure some 4th quarter issues are still there but even though we didn't score in the 4th - the defense held and the offense ran out the clock at the end. So that's a step forward.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BorderPatrol

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 03, 2015, 11:12:13 pm

I guess you are totally devastated.

bp

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 03, 2015, 11:19:59 pm
A win is a win!

Is a win.  At TN, after the debacle we've experienced.  HUGE boost for those kids and the fans.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pig In The City

I'm happy for the players that they got a win. It was fun watching the celebration video. After all this is amateur athletics. It helps to keep it in perspective. Next weekend will be a true test to their progress. WPS!

Quote from: Pig In The City on October 04, 2015, 09:01:02 am
I'm happy for the players that they got a win. It was fun watching the celebration video. After all this is amateur athletics. It helps to keep it in perspective. Next weekend will be a true test to their progress. WPS!

Let them enjoy it.  Back to work tomorrow.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Albert Einswine

I think the team will play hard and compete well at Bama. These guys may not always match up well with the opponent, but they aren't afraid of anybody, and just like last season we may find that we match up favorably with Bama.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

elksnort

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 11:09:22 pm
What sucks is a 3-1 Hogs would be back in the Top 25 with some momentum, and a 4-0 Hogs would be about #8 or so.
It is a shame. Should be 3-1..

Excuse me. 4-1

elksnort

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 04, 2015, 09:08:51 am
I think the team will play hard and compete well at Bama. These guys may not always match up well with the opponent, but they aren't afraid of anybody, and just like last season we may find that we match up favorably with Bama.
Agree. We will need a few breaks to win. Getting fumbles and interceptions are nice.

popcornhog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 04, 2015, 08:46:40 am
I guess you are totally devastated.

bp

Haha, right?

It's been a very rough season. We may well not go bowling. We get it. Why some people can't take a step back and enjoy the Winn in Knoxville though, is beyond me.
WPS

Jonbo

I think the team is back on track to meeting most's expectations of what we thought they would be this season. It's a shame they had to go through the pain of rediscovering their "identity". It kind of seems to me that there was an uncomfortable process of Enos replacing Chaney where Enos had to discover how best to direct the offense. This combined with the defense figuring out how to replace its 3 moved-on greats and cost us 2 important victories, at least, thus damaging the season. I don't know if CBB should have anticipated this or not, but I hope he can maintain coaching consistency this coming offseason.

Quote from: Jonbo on October 04, 2015, 09:30:49 am
I think the team is back on track to meeting most's expectations of what we thought they would be this season. It's a shame they had to go through the pain of rediscovering their "identity". It kind of seems to me that there was an uncomfortable process of Enos replacing Chaney where Enos had to discover how best to direct the offense. This combined with the defense figuring out how to replace its 3 moved-on greats and cost us 2 important victories, at least, thus damaging the season. I don't know if CBB should have anticipated this or not, but I hope he can maintain coaching consistency this coming offseason.

There is still a lot of fine-tuning to be done, no doubt.  But a win on the road at TN is HUGE.  A huge spark the kids and coaches needed.  It came down to the D stopping that offense, and we did it.  TN made a lot of mistakes, but we capitalized on them - especially on that last drive.  We all thought we knew what was coming, and saw something different.  I'll take it.

lumphog

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 pm
A win is a sum of its parts. Same as a loss.  You have to assume that every good play - and every bad one - contributes to the result. That fake FG sets up something on down the road for us. Or it doesn't, but there is a film crew from Bama now having to dissect personnel, etc., on FGs to see if we are tipping something. Then, they'll be practicing the various permutations.

If it fails, do we reconcile that we had a FG blocked and maybe we felt it was a reasonable risk? If it works, do we accept that there was a risk?

How can we second guess a season's worth of playcalling just to whine that the brilliant game-clincher - the BA counter-pitch to AC for the big gain late - wasn't called more this year? Might kill it's effectiveness and it doesn't work there.

I'll take things as the sum of parts - I am thrilled to have a road win in the SEC and to lay a clearer path to bowl eligibility.

Heal quickly Josh Williams, who looked to take a cheap-ish shot that caused the broken leg.

*cheers to all*

EXCELLENT post Oklahog.......THIS is a HUGE win for our future. "IF" you're NOT excited for the future as a Hog Fan......you're STUPID!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 11:09:22 pm

True, and we probably should be 3-1/4-0 at this point. But I'm just glad these kids finally won after what has been 3 pretty humiliating losses. It's tough for a team to go out and do everything needed for 3 quarters to secure a win and then trip over themselves when it comes to scoring, or tighten up in the 4th and find a way to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. We think we find it frustrating? Just take a poll of the team and staff. And the longer something like that goes on, the more difficult it is for a team to overcome that negative thought process. I think both sides of the ball overcame that tendency this weekend and now they know they can get it done.

While any win is good and this particular win broke the streak of zero conference wins on the road, more importantly this win gave this team confidence, casting a very negative monkey off their backs. The positive mental impact of this game for the team can't be underrated.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 04, 2015, 09:47:37 am
While any win is good and this particular win broke the streak of zero conference wins on the road, more importantly this win gave this team confidence, casting a very negative monkey off their backs. The positive mental impact of this game for the team can't be underrated.

Positive mental impact IS HUGE.

ronmahony

All I know is after the game I watched Oregon play Colorado, after that watched Sportscenter for a couple of hours and enjoyed it. If we would have lost I wouldn't watch another game. I love watching college football, unless the hogs get beat. When ha ha Smith was coaching, I never saw another game except ours. Thank you Razorbacks for making my season fun again.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

lumphog

True, and we probably should be 3-1/4-0 at this point. But I'm just glad these kids finally won after what has been 3 pretty humiliating losses. It's tough for a team to go out and do everything needed for 3 quarters to secure a win and then trip over themselves when it comes to scoring, or tighten up in the 4th and find a way to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. We think we find it frustrating? Just take a poll of the team and staff. And the longer something like that goes on, the more difficult it is for a team to overcome that negative thought process. I think both sides of the ball overcame that tendency this weekend and now they know they can get it done.

+3 Musk

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2015, 10:28:44 pm

They didn't win, they cheated.

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on October 04, 2015, 09:21:53 am
Haha, right?

It's been a very rough season. We may well not go bowling. We get it. Why some people can't take a step back and enjoy the Winn in Knoxville though, is beyond me.

Because the guy loves BP and hates Bielema, he would rather us lose every game then see Bielema have any success.

elksnort

ricepig

WilsonHog

We lose, and Hogville is a cesspool of negativity. We win, and some people still want to stir that pot.

The great think about the internet is that it is very easy to cut off negative people who you do not wish to be around.

I'll enjoy this win away from these people.

PonderinHog

Except for the fact that we've played five games, you are spot on.

Ragnar Hogbrok

You, sir, are a jackanape.  Your significant other pines for a real man.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 04, 2015, 10:33:11 am
Except for the fact that we've played five games, you are spot on.

Yeah, you are right, I should have said "headed into the Tennessee game", so yeah at this point there is an argument to be made for us being 4-1/5-0 right now.
Go Hogs Go!

Oklahawg

LOL

I was so giddy about the win I couldn't count!

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: ronmahony on October 04, 2015, 10:01:04 am
All I know is after the game I watched Oregon play Colorado, after that watched Sportscenter for a couple of hours and enjoyed it. If we would have lost I wouldn't watch another game. I love watching college football, unless the hogs get beat. When ha ha Smith was coaching, I never saw another game except ours. Thank you Razorbacks for making my season fun again.

I completely agree with this sentiment! 

Oklahawg

Quote from: ronmahony on October 04, 2015, 10:01:04 am

So true. It also allows me to accept 4 of 7 without hesitation. Won't like it but I can accept it. That means bowl game, bowl practices, and a chance to add a month of "getting better" with free national press.

jvanhorn

Uberanubis

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 pm

*cheers to all*

I enjoy the win, we wont go 2-10 and that is a great thing. but when some one steals 100 bucks from me and then turns around and gives me 10 back it doesn't make it ok. hell it shouldn't even make you feel better you should be pissed off cause it shouldn't have happened.

we were sold a bill of good that turned up sour. yes I'm butt hurt. especially when were supposed to be better then this. we have major special teams problems and 4th quarter problems. we still committed penalties we had 3-20. although they were not at critical time in the game but yes we still committed them. we only scored 7 points in the second half, and that was the opening drive of the 3rd quarter.

yes I'm happy that we won, no I don't think this team is improving, and if were not improving then we aren't going to win many more games.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2015, 10:28:44 pm

I never will.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

Amazing that someone finally figured out that a win is a win.  We been tell ya'll that for 3+ years.  Doesn't matter if the score is 6-3 or 63-3!

Just win baby!

Inhogswetrust

We have some fans that can't spell perspective, much less pronounce it, or much less understand what it means!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 05, 2015, 08:41:07 am
I never will.......................
Get over it, ya big damn baby!   >:(

Cinco de Hogo

Actually several squirrels, we having a feast this week!

Chief Mac

You should probably seek help for your depression
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!