Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Josh Williams has a broken leg..

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, October 03, 2015, 08:15:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

regi

I agree, poor kid, prayers for him ad his family. that lock was close to being illegal as well,

online-with-swine

Torqued pork

Razor6

A war of a season.

NFL and college alike
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It was obvious that UT was targeting our boys early on. Sad state of affairs at Tennessee...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

nearhogfan

TM Hog

That sucks - I can't believe the injuries this year - not just us but in football in general. Never seen anything like it.

Dionysos25

Man, can't catch a break on the injuries. Hopeful for a speedy recovery for all our guys. :/
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 03, 2015, 09:42:45 pm
It was obvious that UT was targeting our boys early on. Sad state of affairs at Tennessee...

This is such a stupid statement. How do you think that. Do you have any facts or you just throwing stuff at the wall like the usual ref excuses. People get rolled up on all the time.

Hogimus Prime

That type if block needs to be banned. The penalty should be an automatic ejection.

The_Bionic_Pig

How many Medical Red-shirts we got going now....Ive actually lost count!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Cowtown Hog

Guys cut blocks are a part of football.  That's the reason that linebackers every day run those drills with balls rolling at them on the ground, trains them to keep their hands out in front to guard against cuts coming at them.  It's just a part of the game.  Having had a son play LB and having to watch it week in and week out, i wish they would take it out of the game.  Some states make cut blocks illegal in high school play.  Hate it took him out but there is nothing dirty or illegal about using that technique.

BadHog

October 03, 2015, 09:58:16 pm #13 Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:04:45 pm by BadHog
Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 03, 2015, 09:53:10 pm

:(
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

titsonboar

I can't remember a season with so many injuries.

azhog10

I didn't like the block at all. The guy went extremely low and add to the field conditions it was an awful situation.

pigture perfect

I watched that block a couple of times. It looked like a pretty bad clean break.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgmasta

Awww man another injury: it's been a while I feel since we have had a season with this many starters dropping. Prayers to Josh; hopefully it's clean and will be easier to come back from than say an ACL.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on October 03, 2015, 09:57:20 pm
Guys cut blocks are a part of football.  That's the reason that linebackers every day run those drills with balls rolling at them on the ground, trains them to keep their hands out in front to guard against cuts coming at them.  It's just a part of the game.  Having had a son play LB and having to watch it week in and week out, i wish they would take it out of the game.  Some states make cut blocks illegal in high school play.  Hate it took him out but there is nothing dirty or illegal about using that technique.
Totally agree with you. Cut blocks are legal and very effective when done correctly.  There is a risk of injury, so you don't work against them in practice, so in games they're even more effective.  The risk is if you miss the cut, the defender is on his feet with no one else to block him.  Tennessee cut blocks and does it pretty effectively.  They weren't "dirty" or trying to take people out, they were just playing hard nosed football.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

sickboy

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on October 03, 2015, 09:50:36 pm
This is such a stupid statement. How do you think that. Do you have any facts or you just throwing stuff at the wall like the usual ref excuses. People get rolled up on all the time.

Josh Williams was hit straight in the knee cap. I could state the other obvious attacks if I had the game film and a few hours to follow every injury, but I do specifically remember seeing a hit on a player w/out the ball prior to a TV commercial break that got no replay or attention from the broadcasters. You can ask anyone on here if I am a "knee-jerk" sort of guy. I understand cut blocks are legal, but they are unethical in the flat when you have to lunge 3 yards to make contact on a defender out of the play. Tennessee players were playing to injure in the 1st 1/4. It's my opinion and I believe it to be fact. The rest of you can believe how you wish.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Hogarusa

Hopeful for a speedy recovery.  Tenner wasnt attempting to purposefully injure the Hogs. Put down the tinfoil
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Granny fan

Sounds like we are in the running for most broken bones in one season!  Can't believe there are so many!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Granny fan on October 04, 2015, 08:14:33 am
Sounds like we are in the running for most broken bones in one season!  Can't believe there are so many!

I'm just glad I didn't see it...JC's break was bad enough for me!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

SoonerSooie

I do not remember a season with so many broken bones. When the block on Williams happened I told my wife: "His leg is broken." She did not think so, but I told her I saw it "flop" and that is never a good sign! She still disagreed until they announced it later.
What do we have now, something like six or seven players -- starters -- out with injuries / broken bones? I mean, that is devastating to any team!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on October 03, 2015, 09:57:20 pm

Yep that cut looked pretty clean to me. The guy attacked JW almost head on. Just a freak accident of the game.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hogdomer

Played too many games to get a medical redshirt.  He's done unfortunately.

Jek Tono Porkins

Cut blocking is legal but there's a right way to do it. I was taught to put my shoulder on the guy's outside hip. I'm not looking to just dive at his knees, I'm looking to get my entire body in front of his legs so he can't do anything.

Last night, the guy blocking Williams simply dove at his knees. Not to mention I believe it was more than 5 yards from the LOS and outside the tackle box. If so, it was an illegal block, not that the NCAA ever enforces that rule.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 04, 2015, 10:28:40 am
Cut blocking is legal but there's a right way to do it. I was taught to put my shoulder on the guy's outside hip. I'm not looking to just dive at his knees, I'm looking to get my entire body in front of his legs so he can't do anything.

Last night, the guy blocking Williams simply dove at his knees. Not to mention I believe it was more than 5 yards from the LOS and outside the tackle box. If so, it was an illegal block, not that the NCAA ever enforces that rule.

True but sometimes crap happens.  I remember when Mitch Petrus destroyed Hightower's knee against Alabama.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on October 03, 2015, 09:51:16 pm
That type if block needs to be banned. The penalty should be an automatic ejection.
Many of our injuries this year during games have come from a weaker player going low.  The Cornelius broken arm came about because the DB decided to launch himself at his knees while all were going out of bounds.  If this block on Williams had happened inside the tackle box, it would likely have been flagged.  He had his foot planted, and this receiver that couldn't block him one on one, strength wise, opts to launch at his lower leg instead.  I could tell from the replay it would either be a broken bone, or a torn or stretched ligament.  Knees don't bend that way with that type of stress on them.  Actually he is probably much luckier, long term to have just a broken bone.  They tend to heal better than an ACL or MCL tear and keeps the structure of his knee intact.

Southpaw Hawg

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 04, 2015, 10:46:15 am
True but sometimes crap happens.  I remember when Mitch Petrus destroyed Hightower's knee against Alabama.

Exactly.  Mike Markuson was the king of teaching/utilizing the cut block to spring DMac and Felix.  Not a fan of it, but it is legal and effective.  Unfortunately results in injury far too often.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on October 04, 2015, 11:03:01 am
Many of our injuries this year during games have come from a weaker player going low.  The Cornelius broken arm came about because the DB decided to launch himself at his knees while all were going out of bounds.  If this block on Williams had happened inside the tackle box, it would likely have been flagged.  He had his foot planted, and this receiver that couldn't block him one on one, strength wise, opts to launch at his lower leg instead.  I could tell from the replay it would either be a broken bone, or a torn or stretched ligament.  Knees don't bend that way with that type of stress on them.  Actually he is probably much luckier, long term to have just a broken bone.  They tend to heal better than an ACL or MCL tear and keeps the structure of his knee intact.
It was a TE and he could have blocked him straight up, but Took the chance to cut a player that was not even in position to make the play. Sometimes it REALLY is as bad as it looks.

bigdaddyhawg

Is the NCAA limit, like, what, 25??
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

colbs

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 04, 2015, 09:51:15 am
Played too many games to get a medical redshirt.  He's done unfortunately.
Isn't he just a JR?

Razorback2010

I'm probably wrong here... but aren't chop blocks by the o line illegal?  If so, what's the difference in those blocks vs. what happened to Williams?  I remember watching it and thinking it was dirty block and he was going to be injured from it, sure enough.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorback2010 on October 04, 2015, 01:54:11 pm
I'm probably wrong here... but aren't chop blocks by the o line illegal?  If so, what's the difference in those blocks vs. what happened to Williams?  I remember watching it and thinking it was dirty block and he was going to be injured from it, sure enough.

Cut blocks are different from chop blocks.  Chop blocks involve two players blocking one guy, one high and one low at the same time.

As far as I know cut blocks are okay by interior lineman.  There may be limitations for WR's coming back inside and cut blocking.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

southarkhog06

Quote from: Razorback2010 on October 04, 2015, 01:54:11 pm
there was a technique several years ago where when teams double teamed a dominant dlineman one blocker would try to stand him up while the second blocker tried to cut his legs, that was made illegal as far as i know an open field chop is still legal.