Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How bout a "cool flying pics" thread....

Started by fdx flyer, October 04, 2011, 06:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

That's amazing, I'd be laughing the entire time.  They look like the helmet from the speeder storm troopers in Return of the Jedi.

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Warbirdhog

Couple of pics of the latest SNJ to roll out of the shop. A before and after pic, we removed the flight controls, recovered them, temp reinstall to lay out the stripes, back off then reinstalled. Before reinstalling the repainted cowling and wingtips we wet scotchbrited the airframe using pads on orbitals and water hoses. This one is an SNJ-6 recently bought by a former F-14-F-18 pilot.

GusMcRae

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Warbirdhog on April 24, 2015, 06:46:10 pm
Couple of pics of the latest SNJ to roll out of the shop. A before and after pic, we removed the flight controls, recovered them, temp reinstall to lay out the stripes, back off then reinstalled. Before reinstalling the repainted cowling and wingtips we wet scotchbrited the airframe using pads on orbitals and water hoses. This one is an SNJ-6 recently bought by a former F-14-F-18 pilot.

Wow.  Now that's incredible.  I got to figure out how to own something from that shop.  Or at least become good enough friends with an owner to get some solo time!

Warbirdhog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 04, 2015, 12:28:55 pm

Wow.  Now that's incredible.  I got to figure out how to own something from that shop.  Or at least become good enough friends with an owner to get some solo time!

Thanks, we take a lot of professional pride in what we do here. While our main goal is to send an aircraft out the door in the best airworthy condition it can be in, when we get a make over in, we want it to look it's best when done. We are capable of working on and have experience on a range of WW2 aircraft and the parent company has a P-51,SNJ-4 & a T-28C of it's own we take care of.
  We are Wild Warbirds in Uvalde Tx ( I was born/raised in Searcy) and any time any of you happen to be through the are stop in and visit, always happy to have a Hog fan stop by.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Warbirdhog on May 04, 2015, 08:29:38 pm
Thanks, we take a lot of professional pride in what we do here. While our main goal is to send an aircraft out the door in the best airworthy condition it can be in, when we get a make over in, we want it to look it's best when done. We are capable of working on and have experience on a range of WW2 aircraft and the parent company has a P-51,SNJ-4 & a T-28C of it's own we take care of.
  We are Wild Warbirds in Uvalde Tx ( I was born/raised in Searcy) and any time any of you happen to be through the are stop in and visit, always happy to have a Hog fan stop by.

Absolutely, I will definitely take you up on that the next time I'm driving through Texas.  I love the passion and dedication you guys put in to those planes.  It's a real tribute to the great Americans who designed, built, and flew those aircraft for their original intended purpose.  It makes me feel good to know that there are people still taking care of the history of aviation and reminding the newer generations what our fore-fathers were capable of.

Warbirdhog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 04, 2015, 08:48:23 pm

Absolutely, I will definitely take you up on that the next time I'm driving through Texas.  I love the passion and dedication you guys put in to those planes.  It's a real tribute to the great Americans who designed, built, and flew those aircraft for their original intended purpose.  It makes me feel good to know that there are people still taking care of the history of aviation and reminding the newer generations what our fore-fathers were capable of.

It would be hard for me to stay in aviation now if not for working on and restoring warbirds. I love the history and the connection they have. My dad was a parachute rigger with a P-51 group in England during WW2. I got to know a lot of the vets through the group association. Ya'll welcome to stop in anytime you are in the area, single red hangar on the west side of the field, ask for Craig.

GusMcRae

Quote from: Warbirdhog on May 05, 2015, 01:06:38 pm
It would be hard for me to stay in aviation now if not for working on and restoring warbirds. I love the history and the connection they have. My dad was a parachute rigger with a P-51 group in England during WW2. I got to know a lot of the vets through the group association. Ya'll welcome to stop in anytime you are in the area, single red hangar on the west side of the field, ask for Craig.
I have flown into UVA once shortly after getting my PP.  I taxied over to the West side thinking that's where the terminal was. 
We take an annual hunting trip somewhere close to New Years either there (ranch is close to Knippa), or down around Cotulla.  I flew to Cotulla once as well.  The last 2 years we've had to drive due to too many hairy legged boys, guns, and gear I was having to haul with me,,,  really need a 206 for that trip. 
If we make it back to UVA, I'll look you up. 
There's a cool warbird restoration place at BKD.  I use an avionics shop that is owned by the same people that have it, located at BKD as well.  Not sure if they've moved into it yet, but the warbird deal was building a new hangar last time I was there. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Warbirdhog

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 05, 2015, 02:49:49 pm
I have flown into UVA once shortly after getting my PP.  I taxied over to the West side thinking that's where the terminal was. 
We take an annual hunting trip somewhere close to New Years either there (ranch is close to Knippa), or down around Cotulla.  I flew to Cotulla once as well.  The last 2 years we've had to drive due to too many hairy legged boys, guns, and gear I was having to haul with me,,,  really need a 206 for that trip. 
If we make it back to UVA, I'll look you up. 
There's a cool warbird restoration place at BKD.  I use an avionics shop that is owned by the same people that have it, located at BKD as well.  Not sure if they've moved into it yet, but the warbird deal was building a new hangar last time I was there.

Drop by when you're in the neighborhood. That would be Ezell Aviation up in BKD, they have been at this warbird business a long long time. We have been in a T-6/SNJ run for most of the year, this one was our third and I am finishing up an annual on a fourth. Here are before and after pics of another we got in back in December and finished up in Jan. No fabric work on this one, just some repaint work along with the annual. This one lives up in the Dallas area, not sure which field.

GusMcRae

Getting some tail dragger time in this week.  1 Hour in this early this AM, might get to go again late this evening.  First time in a true bush plane.  Pretty sweeeet!  Comes off the ground so quick.  Very heavy on the stick.

Will probably be in some other planes after today. 

Flying Razorback

Jealous!  I've been telling myself for years that I need to finally get my tail dragger time in.  I feel like I can't really call myself a "pilot" until I get a little in my log book.

Hope you had a blast!  I have heard it can do wonders for your stick and rudder skills.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on June 22, 2015, 09:07:52 am
Getting some tail dragger time in this week.  1 Hour in this early this AM, might get to go again late this evening.  First time in a true bush plane.  Pretty sweeeet!  Comes off the ground so quick.  Very heavy on the stick.

Will probably be in some other planes after today. 

awesome gus... i am surprised they are heavy on the stick.
You are what you tolerate.

theFlyingHog

I finally got to sit up front again. Overnight LIT-APA-PSC in a 200, I tried to sleep most of the way

GusMcRae

1st pic is the layer we had to fly above after departing KSRR on Friday October 9th.  We were at 12,000'.  Wrong for the direction but ATC was OK,,, 11K would have put us in the layer.

2nd is my return from KSAT Sunday October 11th, sunset over lake Brownwood, from 6000'.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Saw this guy at a very small airfield in Arizona, I think.  It's been a few years.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Lake Havasu.  Spring Break time frame.  Obviously, the Army didn't let us land there and we pushed to another air field for refuel.  Go Army!!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

One more and I'm done.  Some of the peaks in this photo punch above 14,000 MSL.  Hypoxia was fun.  Getting "high" literally and physiologically.  Thank goodness for supplemental O2.

Pakistan is literally on the top of the peaks to your right in the photo.

gotyacovered

TC.... awesome pics man.

didnt the red bull helo pilot recently say he was retiring from the airshow circuit? this year would be his last? am i dreaming that?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 20, 2015, 02:24:24 pm
TC.... awesome pics man.

didnt the red bull helo pilot recently say he was retiring from the airshow circuit? this year would be his last? am i dreaming that?

Honestly, I have no idea.  I don't really keep up with aviation as far as civilian air shows are concerned other than I'll watch the Red Bull races when I happen to see them on tv.

gotyacovered

Quote from: The Chief on October 20, 2015, 02:33:22 pm
Honestly, I have no idea.  I don't really keep up with aviation as far as civilian air shows are concerned other than I'll watch the Red Bull races when I happen to see them on tv.

welp, you made me dig. totally coincidental.. but he flew his last airshow 2 days ago. statement said "250 airshows over 10 years"

bet there are some folks after that gig.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 20, 2015, 03:52:13 pm
welp, you made me dig. totally coincidental.. but he flew his last airshow 2 days ago. statement said "250 airshows over 10 years"

bet there are some folks after that gig.

Wow. I had no idea. Stunt flying in helicopters takes brass balls.  Doing combat maneuvering flight in an Apache is good enough for me. I'm very conservative when it comes to flying. Sure, I do 60 degree dives and 120 degree banks when I have to, but I usually keep myself in a position where I don't have to.

It takes a special breed to do what he does.

gotyacovered

Quote from: The Chief on October 24, 2015, 08:45:30 am
Wow. I had no idea. Stunt flying in helicopters takes brass balls.  Doing combat maneuvering flight in an Apache is good enough for me. I'm very conservative when it comes to flying. Sure, I do 60 degree dives and 120 degree banks when I have to, but I usually keep myself in a position where I don't have to.

It takes a special breed to do what he does.

bet you have a few stories ;D

true that... pure instinct (after thousands of hours of training) completely takes over.

theFlyingHog

A friend of mine stopped by KHOT on a delivery trip(Boston-Chino) in this Stearman. Awesome plane. This guy also flies the Flying Wing for Planes of Fame at Chino!

oldhawg

gotyacovered

awesome oldhawg, whats the story... werkin' or playin' ???

oldhawg

Quote from: gotyacovered on June 28, 2016, 05:03:32 pm
awesome oldhawg, whats the story... werkin' or playin' ???

working on this occasion (september 2015).

Pulled(PP)pork

oldhawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 03, 2016, 12:49:28 pm
Cool pic on way back from Cancun

PP

A shadow of itself?  Or something lurking in the clouds?  Dah-dum!!

GusMcRae

This is me and my oldest and youngest sons, which is about 480# of souls on board.  Flight bag, 3 rifles, 3 bags with clothes, 3 back packs with hunting gear, 3 ice chests, boned out meat/head/horns/cape from 1 deer, small set of horns from another deer (my 10 yr old son got his first deer but we were unable to find it the evening he shot it, found it the next morning, meat no bueno) which all totaled about 240#. Backed off to about 50 gal of fuel.   This pic really doesn't do it justice of all the gear we crammed in the cabin.  Back seat and floorboard behind me was full of gear, guns between the front seats, cargo compartment was full all the way up to the back window.  Put everything we could in the ice chests with just a minimal amount of ice on the one with the deer meat.  Fun trip!