Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heaths Future as Coach

Started by excoach, February 09, 2006, 10:28:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Stan Wait to fired or just Resign?

Be Fired
26 (40%)
Resign
39 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 12, 2006, 10:28:10 am

excoach

February 09, 2006, 10:28:10 am Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 10:39:22 am by excoach
Place your vote!

BossHog13

I think he should do himself and the entire Razorback Nation a favor and just resign! He just doesn't fit here! He didn't even know what a Hog Call was when he was seated at his first press conference! He just doesn't know what it means to be a Razorback! That Big Ten boring basketball is suited better for some other conference! I have no hard feeling and I wish him well, but it's time for him to go! If he doesn't have enough class to step down then I think he should be fired! Plain and Simple!!!

excoach

excoach

hogfan064

Quote from: BossHog13 on February 09, 2006, 10:40:43 am
I think he should do himself and the entire Razorback Nation a favor and just resign! He just doesn't fit here! He didn't even know what a Hog Call was when he was seated at his first press conference! He just doesn't know what it means to be a Razorback! That Big Ten boring basketball is suited better for some other conference! I have no hard feeling and I wish him well, but it's time for him to go! If he doesn't have enough class to step down then I think he should be fired! Plain and Simple!!!

I knew he was the wrong man for the job when he was confused about the Hog Call.  If I was coach I would've stood up and done it myself. 

nwarazfan

Yep, he should just give up and quit.  Forget about trying to recruit another SG in the late signing period to go along with the nation's best JUCO player and one of the nation's best prep forwards.  He should just abandon the work on trying to get 3 of our most promising young post players in years better to go along with the new recruits.  Stan should resign before he has an experienced(and highly recruited) SEC PG running the team.  That Big 10 basketball(that has helped 6 Big 10 teams into the Top 25 and many more Final 4 teams than the SEC over the last few years) just sucks.  What the hell was he thinking trying to develop a system similar to that of a NC winning F4 program like Mich St that plays tough man D and has had great fastbreak teams with guys like Cleaves, Richardson and Brown. 

Just quit on us Stan!  Nolan did!  Then we can form another committee and go searching the WAC or Sun Belt for a coach.

excoach

I would personally like to see Stan do the honorable thing and step down either now or at the end of the season. Having to fire another coach just wouldn't look good on the University.

hawgsawjimdugan

that whole deal with him being confused about the hog call has bugged me for years... i had a bad feeling when i saw that, but hoped that he'd prove my gut instinct wrong.  he seems like a very hygenic, fine man... but is an AWFUL arkansas basketball coach.  the past half decade has been murder on the faithful hog fans... please stan, bow out, and give us back our program.  please...

RealSmartGuy

these so called great recruits stan has signed so far, what makes anyone think that these guys are any different, because otis said so?

RAZORBART

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it !

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 09, 2006, 11:04:29 am
these so called great recruits stan has signed so far, what makes anyone think that these guys are any different, because otis said so?
These aren't 2 stars that Otis and Emfinger have built into future big time players.  Its the #1 rated JUCO player in the country and a Top 25/McD AA type player.  Just Grit's praise wouldn't get them this kind of recognition.

The_Bionic_Pig

You better hope it is at the end of the season because Arkansas is still in the midst of recruiting 2 more highly touted guards for the 2006 class.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 09, 2006, 10:48:23 am
Yep, he should just give up and quit.  Forget about trying to recruit another SG in the late signing period to go along with the nation's best JUCO player and one of the nation's best prep forwards.  He should just abandon the work on trying to get 3 of our most promising young post players in years better to go along with the new recruits.  Stan should resign before he has an experienced(and highly recruited) SEC PG running the team.  That Big 10 basketball(that has helped 6 Big 10 teams into the Top 25 and many more Final 4 teams than the SEC over the last few years) just sucks.  What the hell was he thinking trying to develop a system similar to that of a NC winning F4 program like Mich St that plays tough man D and has had great fastbreak teams with guys like Cleaves, Richardson and Brown. 

Just quit on us Stan!  Nolan did!  Then we can form another committee and go searching the WAC or Sun Belt for a coach.

Nolan did not quit.  On February 28, after making the ill-advised comments that were taken out of context, he said he wanted to remain the coach at Arkansas.  He did this putting up with all the shiite he had to deal with.  And don't say he wasn't recruiting, sullinger and modica were on campus, and Iguodola was on the way, I also remember that Okafor was a frogs nutt hair away from signing on the dotted line. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

excoach

I would rather see McGowan than Vincent Hunter in the game. Everytime Hunter comes in the games he falls down and trips over himself.

nwarazfan

Quote from: dubyacee on February 09, 2006, 11:08:09 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 09, 2006, 10:48:23 am

Nolan did not quit.  On February 28, after making the ill-advised comments that were taken out of context, he said he wanted to remain the coach at Arkansas.  He did this putting up with all the shiite he had to deal with.  And don't say he wasn't recruiting, sullinger and modica were on campus, and Iguodola was on the way, I also remember that Okafor was a frogs nutt hair away from signing on the dotted line. 

Nolan quit in the late 90s.  He failed miserably both in evaluating players signed and in missing players.  Barely missed Okafor and Rice and ...   And if he was tired of the shiite, why stay here and get his ass kicked out of the league by John Brady, Rick Stansbury, Rod Barnes, Mark Gottfried... Why not go elsewhere after the NC since it was so bad at the UA?  And the Sullinger and Iggy thing again.  Sullinger is an avg at best college player and Iggy avg a whopping 9.6 ppg in college while surrounded by talent.  9.6 ppg was not going to bring our program back.  Nolan failed, quit and got his ass kicked by inferior coaches and then tried to blame whitey.

nobballconcept

I think Stan will try to do the right thing.....he will talk to Broyles and tell him he wants to step down under the pressure.....they both will call a press conference and Stan will begin  "After four tough years, my family and I have decided to........uh.......hold on a sec....I last my train of thought..........um......"  He will get up and leave immediately and we will once again see how Heath can not finish just like his teams!

fullfan

STAY ANOTHER YEAR!  I hate the whole "wait until next year" thing as much as anyone, but.... there are a lot pieces in place along with the upcoming class that look promising. 

Next year,
Ronnie Brewer- senior
Darian Townes- junior
Steven Hill- junior
Irvin kid- junior
Sonny Weems- junior

off the bench  Charles Thomas, Sean McCurdy, Cyrus McGowan, V. Hunter, Cranford, and incoming freshmen. 

I am not in favor of hastily scrapping Stan and the rebuilding job he has done right now.  If the players and coach stay in place along with next years recruits, I think we will win the west and be a top tier team in the SEC.

That said, if we do not continue to show improvement and be right there at the end with a chance to win the west then we make decisions. JMHO.

no one

It would be nice for a number of people to bow out, but I wouldn't leave a job making a butt load of money I don't deserve.  If Arkansas wants to become a top team in B-Ball or Football, the UofA will have to let some heads roll.
Just a thought, What coaches can we expect in the future if Nutt gets AD?

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: excoach on February 09, 2006, 10:28:10 am
Place your vote!

WOW, your an excoach? Get a damn clue. How about he stays.

excoach

Why would want him to stay? what has he proven in the last 4 years to deserve to be the head Coach?

Mike Tencleve

The team has improved each year, and you as an excoach should know that their loases this year could have gone either way. Don't tell me they would have been different if we had a better coach, that is bs, and you as an excoach would know this.

excoach

Mi-Ky: Let's assume your the CEO of your own company and you Hire someone to run your business for you. Your paying this person 800K a year, but your not getting the results you thought you would when you hired him. So do you continue to pay him 800K a year because he's a nice guy and you really like him or do you cut your ties and go after someone else who
might do the job better?

UALRGrad

With Nutt as AD, you'll see Dickey as bball HC.
If Ole Dork played the University of Hell, I'd buy a Satan jersey.

Uncle Ivan 9/6/2009

yocdaddy

Firing Heath will start this whole process over again.  It has taken several great coaches time at the beginning of their tenure to get really competitive on the national level.  Like I said before, the University of Arkansas and Bud Walton Arena is not the draw like it was in the mid 90's.  It would be close to impossible to get a highly successful, veteran coach to come to Arkansas right now.  Get a clue, Coach K, Knight, Self, Pitino, Williams (Gary or Roy), Calipari, Izzo, Few, Tubby, Calhoun, Barnes, Sampson, Sutton, etc....etc....wouldn't come here.  So we would be stuck with another young guy trying to make his mark at this level.  Then, after 4 years, the masses would be calling for his resignation because he couldn't get the job done.  Hence, cycle repeats over....and over.....and over.....until no one could recruit here, and no one could win here.  

Some of you need to be a little more realistic.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: excoach on February 09, 2006, 11:43:19 am
Mi-Ky: Let's assume your the CEO of your own company and you Hire someone to run your business for you. Your paying this person 800K a year, but your not getting the results you thought you would when you hired him. So do you continue to pay him 800K a year because he's a nice guy and you really like him or do you cut your ties and go after someone else who
might do the job better?

Why assume i'm a CEO, your an excoach, i'm an excoach, lets talk basketball programs. That program was in as WORST SHAPE then it ever has been. To think that it is going to change over night is crazy. You don't build a program over night, and there had to be a lot of work to do to make up for all the damage done. Do i want more out of the program? HELL YES, but at the same time, i truly believe we are close. VERY CLOSE. If Brewer stays and with the new kids we have coming i feel we can be a sweet 16 team next year. again that is progress. we want our program to be heading in a positive direction, and i feel that we are, slowly but surely.

excoach

Do you think our record would be the same as it is now if we had MiKe Krzyzewski or Roy Williams as the head coach? I don't, I think we would have a much better record. Look at what the coach at Tenn has done with what he inherited. A coach makes all the difference and if your an excoach you would know this. We have lost some close games and the players we have are better than when Stan got here, but the bottom line is Wins!!  some coaches have the ability to get more out of kids than others. I don't think Stan has what it takes to be a Head coach. The stat's don't lie.

Mike Tencleve

WOW, are really wanting to compare Heath to K and Williams? By the way K almost got fired because of people like you wanted him gone after a losing record for over 3 years. Pearl did inheirt a program that was in far better shape than Heath. If you are an ex coach as you say you would know that we are close. Any coach would know this, they won't fall pry to all this bs that others on this board pushing at all of us.

hoggystyle78

Heath's future will hopefully be somewhere other than Arkansas.

mountainhog

Quote from: excoach on February 09, 2006, 11:43:19 am
might do the job better?
Yeah but this is basketball and its a game of chance , this aint no company, there is some luck involved just ask duke who almost lost to a nobody!

excoach

I think we needed to give Stan 3 to 4 years to turn the program around. This is his 4th year and his winning percentage inside the conference is  under 30 %. Let's just look at the stats.
.453 winning percentage, 4-24 in road games,4-16 against ranked teams,14-34 in conference games. So this is why I think it's time for a change. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: excoach on February 09, 2006, 12:00:07 pm
Do you think our record would be the same as it is now if we had MiKe Krzyzewski or Roy Williams as the head coach? I don't, I think we would have a much better record. Look at what the coach at Tenn has done with what he inherited. A coach makes all the difference and if your an excoach you would know this. We have lost some close games and the players we have are better than when Stan got here, but the bottom line is Wins!!  some coaches have the ability to get more out of kids than others. I don't think Stan has what it takes to be a Head coach. The stat's don't lie.

Yes Bruce Pearl inherited nothing but the SEC's best backcourt and pure shooter.

Mike Tencleve

texhog

Let's at least see how the rest of the season plays out.  If they finish with 20 wins, then that is probably good enough to keep him.  I know, the progress is painfully slow, but there has been progress.

excoach

thanks for helping me make my point. Peterson was a nice guy and a good coach, but when Bruce Pearl comes in he takes the same kids to a new level.

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: texhog on February 09, 2006, 12:42:49 pm
Let's at least see how the rest of the season plays out.  If they finish with 20 wins, then that is probably good enough to keep him.  I know, the progress is painfully slow, but there has been progress.
EXACTLY

excoach

yes, they have improved their play.

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: excoach on February 09, 2006, 12:46:21 pm
thanks for helping me make my point. Peterson was a nice guy and a good coach, but when Bruce Pearl comes in he takes the same kids to a new level.

Dude no one is saying that coaching makes zero difference. At least i'm not, and sorry if it came off that way. Pearl is a good coach and yes they lost several close games last year

excoach

Mi-Key ,I'm not a Heath basher, I like the guy. I think he has done a really good job of recruiting, and we have some good recruits signed for next year. I don't believe he has what it takes to turn this program into a basketball power again. Just my opinion.

Mike Tencleve

excoach, all i'm saying is that we are close, and i think it is to early to shittttttttttttttttttttte can the guy. I think that he does make mistakes as all of us do, but he does a good job.

dman

:-\ This is a tough way to use my 100th post, but this is my gut feeling , Heath will be back next year.  If Hill progresses as much this off-season as he did last he will be an awesome force on both ends of the court.  McCurdy will be better, but he will still come off the bench, hopefully Townes will have a better defensive showing, Thomas could be the best one of the bunch, and when Brewer returns he will provide great senior leadership.  Weems is the cherry on top.  I said earlier this year Heath should go if the Hogs do not get to the big dance, and I still believe that, but when Heath does return as coach all we can do is support the team and back them as they win the West get in the tourney and make the elite 8.  Love those Hogs. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ThaRockArkansas

no vote needed....We need to stick with him through this....Glory days are around the corner....It can only get better

hogindallas

I agree that Stan has been disappointing, and that we're accustomed to a level above this...but I also see marked improvement and agree with mi-ky..that we should try to be patient. 

It might be apples and oranges, but in football we've certainly been more patient and endured far more underachievement.  This basketball was in the gutter where Ol' Nol' left it...when he stopped recruiting and coaching on the job 2 yrs before he left! ( I vividly remember him sitting down, not getting out of his chair during some timeouts even)

I do like Stan, and he IS a nice guy....but that's not why I'd like to give him more time.  I view him as competent, but most definitely learning on the job.  Now, I know that pisses some of you off just to hear that...and it shouldn't be good enough for you...its not for me either.  If I knew when we hired Heath what I know now, my vote might've gone in another direction.  At this juncture though...making a change will definitely set our program back.  Remember the fallout when Nolan left?  Recruits jumping ship,transferring of key players, Stan scrambling late just to fill an important recruiting class. Don't assume Mike Washington and others will stay on board if we make a change at coach.  That's not what we need right now.  For the posters that need the reality check...we're still a top 15 program in BBall, but not likely to lure the Pitino's, Coach K's of the world.  Argue all you want, but that's delusional to believe. (same thing in football) Some of you need major reality checks. 

I'll go further and say I feel like not making the dance with this squad's talent level is inexcusable, but I believe Heath is thinking the same thing.  I was pissed last night when we caved in toward the end and got down 14 at LSU, then excited like all of you when I thought we might squeeze it out at the end.  The guy made a great shot at the end, they're fouling strategy paid off for them.  I definitely view Heath as being more proactive and having a shorter learning curve in major D-1 competition(although definitely still progressing and learning on the job I admit) than Nutt. 

I feel like once we hired SH, we owed him a fair shot..with a fair amount of time do get it done in.  At least I don't feel he's reached his peak level...with talent or coaching ability. He's still improving both and needs to.  Nutt has reached his peak and we give him (some anyway) more margin for error. If Nutt could survive this past yr with the talent/close games we suffered and lost, than Heath should as well.

I certainly see problems with the team's halfcourt offense, and it made me happy to see us succeed when pressing and scoring in transition last night.  I miss that style of play, no doubt!  The fact of the matter is..our halfcourt offense is stagnant. With Coach Hipsher I believe the motion off. will improve with time. Also, I feel it should be pointed out that... I love each of our players that have decided that U of A was the place for them, but we don't have our needs met at the point guard position.  Gary Ervin/McCurdy should be the ticket for next year, providing ballhandling and scoring/shooting that we need from our guard play.  The addition of Weems will help tremendously as well.  This season isn't over yet either.  I don't exactly feel confident we're going to salvage it, but its not time to make final evaluations just yet.  I noticed the team's resiliency last night...even in the first half when we were down big...we clawed back each time and never stopped fighting and giving effort on the road in a hostile environment.

LSU is good fellas, lets be honest about that.  We're on the verge of better things and I really believe that.  Lets be the best fans we can be for now and ride this out like the true fans we are.....not the fair-weathers that resemble other schools we despise....(AHEM Tenn, OU, Alabama, Texas)

jdhoover

Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

lilpiggy

man, i just wanna win, dont care what road we take!!!!