Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Never in my life...

Started by fu-man-soo, February 09, 2006, 09:44:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

did i think Tennessee would be better than Arkansas at basketball.  That is a perfect example of what happens when you make the right hire. 

LordStanleysHog

Are there any, and I mean any connections to Bruce Pearl in Arkansas?  I would donate my left HDN to science if he would coach our team.

HoopS

tru-fu.   I saw that last year when UW Milwaukee looked so good in the Dance.  I knew Pearl would go somewhere and im guessing Tennessee is gonna be a power for as long as he is there.

hogsanity

THe thing is though, Pearl could just as easily be doing nothing right now.  And he is doing this with someone elses players.  Lets see if he keeps it going for a few years before we annoint him the 2nd coming of Adolph Rupp.  Hiring a mid major coach is a risk.  Just ask the Hogs
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

granted. 

Part of the reason I thought he would do well is that I watched part of the tournament at a sports bar and was with a group from Illinois... they all hated Pearl.  To me, that speaks volumes.   

I could be wrong, but I think they got a good one.

LordStanleysHog

someone else's players? true, but before he was there were they considered good players? No.  And look at the recruiting he's doing now.  He took another coaches players and made them into his players and got them to believe in his system and in him as a coach... sounds like a good coach to me.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2006, 10:08:43 am
THe thing is though, Pearl could just as easily be doing nothing right now.  And he is doing this with someone elses players.  Lets see if he keeps it going for a few years before we annoint him the 2nd coming of Adolph Rupp.  Hiring a mid major coach is a risk.  Just ask the Hogs

Good lord!  How can you say this?  Buzz Peterson's recruiting was bizarre!  Nobody could figure out what he was trying to do.  They had a perimeter-oriented roster and were playing slowdown, halfcourt ball with the most listless defense you could imagine.  They were pathetic and disorganized.  Pearl took a team picked to finish last in the East, and now they're in the top 5 of the RPI.  Pearl's resume was strong, but he got blackballed because he tried to catch Illinois in the act of cheating at recruiting (which they did regularly) when he was at Purdue.  His Southern Illinois teams were impressive.  He was not a typical midmajor coach.  Gotta hire 'em when they're available.  You don't want necessity to decide who your coach is going to be.  Arkansas could have waited a year and made a much more orderly transition, but some dorkhead got impatient.
[CENSORED]!

WILL CLINTON

dorkhead??  now that is funny. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Biggus Piggus

The board's automatic censor has a new word, apparently.
[CENSORED]!