Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I predict we win the next four

Started by Razorod, February 09, 2006, 09:09:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

to get to 8-5 in SEC play.

Look at the games: Auburn, OM on the road, Fla and Bama at home.

Florida lost to S Carolina last night. They can be beaten, especially if we're at home.

Three of the next four are home games. If Heath is ever going to demonstrate that he can coach at the high D-I, then this is the golden opportunity.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hogs4Ever

Dream on friend, dream on.  I have seen nothing in this team to show they can win four consecutive SEC games.

MJ2

We finish 7 & 9 in the conf and lose 1st round of SEC Tourney.

I believe that equates to 18 & 12.  No NCAA.   NIT bid, win one, lose next.  Done for year.

Then JFB has a delimma.

Wonder if SH will gracefully leave with a nice package?  Not fired, but leave to pursue other opportunities.

SuperHog

Quote from: MJ2 on February 09, 2006, 09:24:44 am
We finish 7 & 9 in the conf and lose 1st round of SEC Tourney.

I believe that equates to 18 & 12.  No NCAA.   NIT bid, win one, lose next.  Done for year.

Then JFB has a delimma.

Wonder if SH will gracefully leave with a nice package?  Not fired, but leave to pursue other opportunities.

what other opportunities would he have?  Go back to Izzo and be assistant again?  There won't be any head coaching options available.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

HighOnHogs

If we are going to dream then let's try to dream big.  How about 7 regular season wins in a row?

Biggus Piggus

South Carolina was 10-21 from 3-pt range at Gainesville.  They held Florida to 14 and 15 2-point baskets when the rest of the season the Gators averaged 21 per game.  Forced the Gators into a slower pace, taking more outside shots and getting few easy baskets.  And absolutely dominated Florida taking 76% of the available defensive rebounds across the two games.  That's a very high number.

Arkansas's strengths do not include 3-pt shooting, preventing easy baskets, and defensive rebounding.  So far in SEC play, our defensive rebounding % is 64%, 32% on the offensive end.  Weakass rebounding.  We haven't maintained enough of a turnover margin to compensate, because we don't put pressure on the basketball often enough.

Through nine SEC games, on average the Hogs have outshot their opponents from 3-pt range, from 2-pt range and at the free throw line.  But our defensive stats are across the board unremarkable, nothing we've done consistently well, save blocking shots; actually gotten fewer steals than our SEC opponents have taken from us.  And our FG% defense is remarkably ordinary for how many shots we block, meaning we give up too many easy ones and too many rebounds.

The really puzzling thing is the Hogs' consistent weakness on the boards, without any special strategic/tactical explanation for it.  I don't care what kind of guard problems Arkansas has--if this team were rebounding the way a Heath team was supposed to rebound, it would be undefeated in conference play.

I saw some people say a loss at LSU means we're off to the NIT.  The rest of the schedule offers plenty of opportunity for the Hogs to win their way into the big show.  What's going to change to make those big wins happen?  How is it going to get done?  Who has to step up?  I say the big guys who play have to rebound.
[CENSORED]!

Cresthog

If we can finish strong during the regular season and come within a game of winning the SEC tourney....then I think we make it in just bc people want to see us back in the Big Dance. If we lose any of the remaining games and flop in the tourney....NIT bound. And Mr. Heath is gone.

LordStanleysHog

look at the schedule, if all goes right (and it rarely does) we'll finish 9-7 in league play... with losses to Fla. and Tenn., and picking up W's against Bama, Auburn, @Ole Miss, Miss. State, @Ga.  It's defeinately a possiblity, but I still think we'll need 2 W's in the Tournament to reach the dance.

SuperHog

no way we finish 9-7 in league play.  More like 7-9+win one game in SEC tourney=Not Important Tournament
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

Biggus Piggus

The biggest challenge on the 9-7 scenario, assuming we lose to Florida and Tennessee, will be the last one at Georgia.

The Bulldogs finish

Tennessee
at Kentucky
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
at MSU
at Florida
Arkansas

Georgia's 4-5 in the league just like Arkansas is.  They face a tougher schedule than we do from here, but they have a realistic shot at going 4-3 down the stretch.  At 18-11, 8-8 SEC, they'd be on the NCAAT bubble in Felton's year three.
[CENSORED]!

snort

If we win it will have to be on continuing big games from Modica and Brewer and someone else.  Stan keeps playing Jefferson and Hill because of their defense.  I do believe that Hill is a factor on defense that outweighs his lack of scoring, but Jefferson just doesn't do it for me.  Lately he has been turning it over as much as he steals and then he produces few points.  I would rather have someone out there who might turn it over a couple more times and/or gives the other team more scoring opportunities, but has the chance of getting hot and producing points.  Right now with Jefferson AND Hill out there at the same time we aren't scoring.  Last night wouldn't have even been close without Brewer's flurry at the end.