Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath's Big 10 style of play is killing us.

Started by BigHog396, February 08, 2006, 09:47:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHog396

Here is a question for all of you who don't think this loss falls squarely on Heath's shoulders.

How do you go from playing Big 10 basketball (down 14 on many different occassions), to all of the sudden remembering how your team plays best (throwing on the defensive pressure and playing vintage HawgBall)?

Every time we have done anything worth talking about this year, it has been when Heath swallows his pride and plays 40 minutes of Hell style.  That last 5 minutes was exactly what this team should be playing like every night.  There is no excuse for the coach not being able to get his team to play like that for 40 minutes rather than only 5.

I have seen it over and over during Heath's tenure here, any time that we are down big, and he actually throws on the press and tight defense, we make incredible runs.  But, the runs only seem incredible because we only get to see this style when we are down double-digits in the last 5 minutes of games.  This team could be playing just like the great Hog teams of Nolan's era if Heath would only stop trying to play Big 10 ball.

leggman131652002

ThaRockArkansas

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 08, 2006, 09:47:50 pm
Here is a question for all of you who don't think this loss falls squarely on Heath's shoulders.

How do you go from playing Big 10 basketball (down 14 on many different occassions), to all of the sudden remembering how your team plays best (throwing on the defensive pressure and playing vintage HawgBall)?

Every time we have done anything worth talking about this year, it has been when Heath swallows his pride and plays 40 minutes of Hell style.  That last 5 minutes was exactly what this team should be playing like every night.  There is no excuse for the coach not being able to get his team to play like that for 40 minutes rather than only 5.

I have seen it over and over during Heath's tenure here, any time that we are down big, and he actually throws on the press and tight defense, we make incredible runs.  But, the runs only seem incredible because we only get to see this style when we are down double-digits in the last 5 minutes of games.  This team could be playing just like the great Hog teams of Nolan's era if Heath would only stop trying to play Big 10 ball.

I totally agree thats why a coach like Nolan or Mike Anderson could when a lot of games with these guys.  We have a ton of athletes and depth.  Not too many pure shooters.  Running the 40 min of hell style causes u to get better % shots like we were getting.  Not too mention using that style against a team with less depth will run them into the ground, such as, LSU and Alabama.

taintlint

WE WENT ON A KICK ASS SCORING SPREE BECAUSE HEATH STOPPED COACHING!!!!!!!! Did you notice that the scoring run was in your face street ball (Nolan Ball)?!!?!? These kids do not want to play this Big 10 crap and when they blow Heath off, good things happen. Let us not forget that Heaths only success has come at the cost of his players playing their style of ball, not Heaths. Does Kent St. ring a bell? Have you read the interviews with those players that made it to the elite 8? They went on a run after Heath compromised his Big 10 style of play and let the players do what they do best.

Hawgon

You are absolutely correct.  We have said it all year.  This team could be salty if he let them play up-tempo the whole game.  We could be putting people away.  Heath is a stubborn stubborn man and he deserves what he gets.  Hopefully, he gets a one way ticket out of Fayetteville.

Ugly Uncle

rock on.  I think the trick is to get down by double digit rather than be up by double digits.  Heath is forced then to let the players be who they are.
Retired Radio Host

Hardwork321

What is killing the  them is YOU white Folks!!!!!

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Hawg414

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 08, 2006, 10:08:55 pm

wow thats really deep.
intelligent too. 

taintlint

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 08, 2006, 10:08:55 pm

No....I think it's elderly white folks that wont fire his ass that is "killing us".

CiriusPorker

i think it's hilarious that people think the reason we're losing is a 'big ten' style...when a big ten team would easily man-handle us

taintlint

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 08, 2006, 10:16:32 pm
i think it's hilarious that people think the reason we're losing is a 'big ten' style...when a big ten team would easily man-handle us

That is because a real big 10 team plays with real big 10 players that grow up playing big 10 ball in their big 10 states and big 10 YMCA gyms. We are playing with kids that are actually athletic and want to run up and down the court until the opponent pukes but they are FORCED to play a style of ball that is better suited for 8 foot 4 inch corn fed white boys. That is what is funny.

Ugly Uncle

If we could actually play big ten style we might be able to win.  We don't rebound.  We don't get back on defense.  We don't play half-court defense.  We don't shoot well.  If that is Big Ten basketball...then we have it down.
Retired Radio Host

CiriusPorker

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 08, 2006, 10:20:47 pm

If we could actually play big ten style we might be able to win.  We don't rebound.  We don't get back on defense.  We don't play half-court defense.  We don't shoot well.  If that is Big Ten basketball...then we have it down.

...i think it all comes down to them not having a grasp on the fundamentals of the game. 

taintlint

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 08, 2006, 10:22:06 pm

...i think it all comes down to them not having a grasp on the fundamentals of the game. 

Or.......we could just drop the whole Big 10 crap all together and let the kids do what they do best. Psssssssst.......I have a little secret! These kids do not take too well to Big 10 play. Why don't we let them play the same style they play in HS and AAU? It works for the other 11 SEC schools.

HatfieldHog

Once again, our beloved Hogs find a way to snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory!

Wonderful isn't it!       See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Pig Pumper

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 08, 2006, 10:22:06 pm

That's a big part of it.

FTs are absolutely fundamental.  They've come back to bite us in the ass before.  Lo and behold, the pigs drop another one because of it.  That's coaching.

We get killed on the boards.  That's coaching.  It doesn't take talent to know how to box out.

What's funny is how FTs and rebounding used to be the albatross of Nolan's teams.  At least his teams gave a darn, sucked it up, and played tough the whole game.

Pig Pumper

Quote from: HatfieldHog on February 08, 2006, 10:30:06 pm
Once again, our beloved Hogs find a way to snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory!

Wonderful isn't it!       See ya

It's an Arkansas tradition.

BigHog396

Quote from: Pig Pumper on February 08, 2006, 10:31:04 pm
Quote from: HatfieldHog on February 08, 2006, 10:30:06 pm

Wonderful isn't it!       See ya

It's an Arkansas tradition.
No, it's not an Arkansas tradition.  It's a Stan Heath tradition.  In the past, we would normally be on the winning side of the 5 wins/losses by 13 total points.  It wasn't until we got a coach that wants to TRY, extreme emphasis on the word try, to play Big 10 ball in the SEC, that we really started making a tradition out of losing nearly every close game.

A Boy Named Sue E.

This team's not in good enough shape to press for any extended period of time.

Swino

Heath's lack of coaching abilities are what is hurting us.