Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Thomas is the game changer this season

Started by TajMaHog, June 26, 2011, 01:47:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

Quote from: rude1 on June 27, 2011, 09:11:01 pm
Robert Thomas might indeed in time develop into a dominant defensive lineman in time. But I think it is asking a bit much for a guys first year at the D1 level, going up against SEC caliber offensive lineman, to become a force in his first season in this league. I think he will have some moments, but will not be spectacular this upcoming season.
Terrence Cody and Nick Fairley would disagree
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

mccurdy

what number was thomas in the spring game and what team was he on?

daBoar

Quote from: mccurdy on June 30, 2011, 01:16:45 am
what number was thomas in the spring game and what team was he on?
I find all this chatter on the potential of RT to be quite interesting knowing that Byran Jones started several games (on a pretty good defense) as a true freshman. Gad, it's nice having some depth.

GoHogs1091

It has been a long time since we had a game changer on the Defensive Line.  Wayne Martin is the last one I can think of.  Martin was an outstanding Defensive Lineman.  It will be awesome if Robert Thomas is as good as Wayne Martin.   

HAWG4EVER

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 30, 2011, 05:32:50 am
It has been a long time since we had a game changer on the Defensive Line.  Wayne Martin is the last one I can think of.  Martin was an outstanding Defensive Lineman.  It will be awesome if Robert Thomas is as good as Wayne Martin.

I believe Jamal Anderson was not too shabby.
Sometimes it is better to be quiet and be thought stupid, than to speak and remove all doubt.   TCB

HAWG4EVER

Does anybody know where " Big Tex "  Jatashun Beachum is going to play?
Sometimes it is better to be quiet and be thought stupid, than to speak and remove all doubt.   TCB

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HAWG4EVER on June 30, 2011, 05:46:06 am

I believe Jamal Anderson was not too shabby.

Anderson was very good, but Wayne Martin was a step above Anderson in regards to Defensive Line play for the Hogs.  Martin's Defensive Line play excellence continued on to the NFL.  The following is from Martin's Wikpedia.org page:

"Martin amassed a total of 82.5 quarterback sacks, which currently stands as the 2nd most career sacks with the Saints behind linebacker teammate Rickey Jackson, Martin Was Introduced Into the "New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame" with (Jim Dombrowski)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Martin_(American_football)

HAWG4EVER

Yes, I remember Martin very well. I wasn't trying to compare Martin and Anderson, just that Anderson was very good and he is a more recent player than Martin.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HAWG4EVER on June 30, 2011, 05:49:00 am
Does anybody know where " Big Tex "  Jatashun Beachum is going to play?

I think he is buried deep in the D-Line Depth Chart right now.
Go Hogs Go!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HAWG4EVER on June 30, 2011, 06:07:39 am
Yes, I remember Martin very well. I wasn't trying to compare Martin and Anderson, just that Anderson was very good and he is a more recent player than Martin.

If I had to only pick my favorite 2 Hogs of All-Time, it would be Steve Atwater and Wayne Martin (in that order).  They were complete players, and they were total dominators.

By all accounts, Robert Thomas definitely has the ability to be a complete player and a total dominator.  That would be awesome.  It is something we have needed for the DL for a long time. 

GuvHog

Quote from: daBoar on June 30, 2011, 04:03:14 am
I find all this chatter on the potential of RT to be quite interesting knowing that Byran Jones started several games (on a pretty good defense) as a true freshman. Gad, it's nice having some depth.

Robert Thomas is listed on the last depth chart I read as the back up to DD Jones, not Byran Jones. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Robert becomes the starter there by mid season if not before.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 30, 2011, 09:02:10 am
Robert Thomas is listed on the last depth chart I read as the back up to DD Jones, not Byran Jones. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Robert becomes the starter there by mid season if not before.

We'll see but as the season starts at both DT positions I think it will be a matter of all four being listed as #1's, in other words, "this guy or that guy" as the starter as opposed to #1 and #2 on the depth chart. The #1's and #2's will all be worked out in time.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2011, 09:20:21 am
We'll see but as the season starts at both DT positions I think it will be a matter of all four being listed as #1's, in other words, "this guy or that guy" as the starter as opposed to #1 and #2 on the depth chart. The #1's and #2's will all be worked out in time.

I agree. All 4 of them are going to get A LOT of playing time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2011, 09:20:21 am
Man, this is a great problem to have.  On top of that our #3's are 2 seniors who will play a ton, Stadther and Askew, not to mention walk-on Green.

DD Jones JR or R Thomas SO
L Askew SR
J Jackson SO
then
B Jones SO or A Davis JR
Z Stadther SR
J Green JR (Walk-on)

bennyl08

While it might be a bit early to praise RT, he hasn't shown anything that says he isn't deserving of such hype, and a lot of that is fueled by the previous successes of Cody and Fairley. Was Nevis a JUCO? Anyways, JUCO DT's have had a lot, and A LOT! of success the past few years on championship quality teams. So, it is very natural for us to assume the same year, especially considering his spring practice. Or to prove my argument:

a+b=c
c+b=c
d+b=c

=>a=b=d, where c=championship, b=team on verge of championship, a,b,d=incoming star juco player.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse