Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to start really supporting this team

Started by razorhead94, December 25, 2009, 01:12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

We can all agree and disagree about Pelphrey.  I have been critical of Pelphrey as of late but one thing is certain.  The Hogs, our Hogs, are playing their hearts out and playing with a lot of passion.  We saw it all over the floor Tuesday.  We know nothing will happen of Pelphrey if anything at all until the end of the season.

Time for Hog fans to really help this team by putting butts in the seats.

Just like Marvell Waithe said in the paper today, "I'm ready to play in front of all those fans."

Recruits notice and now we need to be fans, fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

thirtythree

Quote from: razorhead94 on December 25, 2009, 01:12:00 pm
We can all agree and disagree about Pelphrey.  I have been critical of Pelphrey as of late but one thing is certain.  The Hogs, our Hogs, are playing their hearts out and playing with a lot of passion.  We saw it all over the floor Tuesday.  We know nothing will happen of Pelphrey if anything at all until the end of the season.

Time for Hog fans to really help this team by putting butts in the seats.

Just like Marvell Waithe said in the paper today, "I'm ready to play in front of all those fans."

Recruits notice and now we need to be fans, fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

That is very imporatnt. Recruits see fans supporting a team (no matter the record) and that will leave a huge impression.

Boston RedHogs

Couldn't agree more.  One of the things I've always been most proud of when I think of the Arkansas Razorback program is fan loyalty and unity.  That's why we, a small school of less than 20k undergrads, is able to fill a 75k seat football stadium, a 20k seat basketball arena, and average over 10k at Baum for baseball games.  You don't see that kind of support for ALL sports at many schools across the country.  It sets us apart from many schools whose fans really support the football program, but conveniently cheer for the other programs.  Or they really support the bball program, and covenientely cheer for the other programs.  It makes us unique.

The fact remains that there will be no coaching changes mid-year and most likely even at the end of the year.  So it's important that we continue to support the players still on this team that are working hard to give fans something to be proud of, and show those recruits that are giving the Hogs a hard look that we still have loud crowds that are going to be there to support them during the season regardless of the win/loss record or catty disputes over who should or shouldn't be the coach.

Go Hogs
WPS

Iwastherein1969

i'm as vocal of an unsatisfied fan where it concerns Pelphrey as there is in this forum...HOWEVER, I will NEVER pull for anyone but my Razorbacks...and I'll say it again, I hope Pelphrey proves me wrong, there's nothing more that I would enjoy than eating a double helping of crow about Pel if it means our Hogs are building something special
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rude1

They need to keep winning. With that you don't have to start threads asking for support.

3kgthog

I don't know where these threads come from. I haven't seen anyone, not even FCJ, hoping we lose or saying to abandon the players. Believe it or not, it is possible to want Pel out while still supporting the players.

thirtythree

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 25, 2009, 06:40:47 pm
I don't know where these threads come from. I haven't seen anyone, not even FCJ, hoping we lose or saying to abandon the players. Believe it or not, it is possible to want Pel out while still supporting the players.

I will disagree about some not wanting the Hogs to lose just so Pel can be fired. That is the case for a few. I won't go into names as some are very well known for it.

I agree with your last statement that it is possible to support the team and still not want the coach.

Science Fiction Greg

Yeah, they are out there and have admitted as much here publically.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Boarcephus

I agree with this.  The only time I've ever really pulled against a hog team was Nutt's last year here.  I just knew that every win put him one step closer to being here the following year and I just couldn't stand that.  I felt for the players but also knew Nutt was hurting the program worse.  I was torn that last game vs LSU but I got lucky on both counts...we won the game (had to hear Nutt gloat) and he left.

I would love for JP to win because I really like him but I don't think he can. I'd love to be wrong but I've seen nothing that shows me he can win.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Wayne Watson

Agreed.  I think Pel is in over his head.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ge-erdone

Quote from: Corndog7 on December 25, 2009, 07:35:03 pm
Yeah, they are out there and have admitted as much here publically.

That just does not add up, supporting the players but wanting Pelphrey gone.

Supporting the players, I take it, means hoping they win, and every time they play their hearts and win, that boosts Pelphrey, so that theory supporting players, but not HC, is bogus.

BTW, I support Pelphrey and the players.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: ge-erdone on December 25, 2009, 08:08:36 pm

BTW, I support Pelphrey and the players.

All players or the guys that are getting it done and not being suspended?
We don't rent pigs

ge-erdone

Quote from: wayne1958 on December 25, 2009, 08:19:00 pm
All players or the guys that are getting it done and not being suspended?
Well, I think Welsh, Britt, Bryant are now helping the team, and apparently they have done what is required and served their suspensions, so yes, all of the Razorback team players.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: ge-erdone on December 25, 2009, 08:33:15 pm
Well, I think Welsh, Britt, Bryant are now helping the team, and apparently they have done what is required and served their suspensions, so yes, all of the Razorback team players.

Last game:

Welsh was 3-9

Britt was 2-6

Bryant was 2-4

That's a lot of help.  Must be the coaching, huh?
We don't rent pigs

Science Fiction Greg

Yes, they helped a lot.  Especially Bryant.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

Hogstradamus

December 25, 2009, 09:26:32 pm #15 Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:28:34 pm by Hogstradamus
Quote from: wayne1958 on December 25, 2009, 08:45:25 pm
Last game:

Welsh was 3-9, 3 boards, 4 assists to 2 turnovers

Britt was 2-6, 3 boards, 2 steals, 0 turnovers

Bryant was 2-4, 11 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 0 turnovers

That's a lot of help.  Must be the coaching, huh?

How convenient of you to exclude the rest of their stats from your post.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hogstradamus on December 25, 2009, 09:26:32 pm
How convenient of you to exclude the rest of their stats from your post.

The 11 boards by Bryant was good.  The other two did not contribute much.  The point I was making is that Pel does not have these kids ready for SEC play.
We don't rent pigs

thirtythree

I think that only 2 turnovers by those 3 players is pretty good. Now, that doesn't say a lot from the rest of the players that played from that stand point.

The next few games will let us know if we're ready for the SEC or not. It doesn't appear that the SEC is as strong as what people thought prior to the season.

ge-erdone

Quote from: wayne1958 on December 25, 2009, 09:33:03 pm
The 11 boards by Bryant was good.  The other two did not contribute much.  The point I was making is that Pel does not have these kids ready for SEC play.

I would say Missouri State would win most of their home games if they were playing in the SEC.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: thirtythree on December 25, 2009, 09:35:44 pm
I think that only 2 turnovers by those 3 players is pretty good. Now, that doesn't say a lot from the rest of the players that played from that stand point.

The next few games will let us know if we're ready for the SEC or not. It doesn't appear that the SEC is as strong as what people thought prior to the season.

Keep in mind that SEC was a "down" conference last season.  I haven't that much improvement in our team to think we are ready yet.
We don't rent pigs

The_Iceman

did you watch the game?

All three of those guys contributed largely to the win. They are role players, not stars.

Britt hit a big 3 for us and played tough defense.
Welsh took over for Nobles and had some nice finishes around the rim.
Bryant played great interior defense and grabbed 11 boards, while providing energy.

thirtythree

Quote from: wayne1958 on December 25, 2009, 09:48:00 pm
Keep in mind that SEC was a "down" conference last season.  I haven't that much improvement in our team to think we are ready yet.

It is my hope that with CF back in the line up it will dramatically improve this years team. There is another legitimate scorer down low (something we didn't have aside from washington last year). Welsh seems to be a more unselfish player this year. Britt seems to have picked his game up as well, especially defensively. What can you say about the way Bryant played the other night. yes, it was one game, but I hope he can bring that every game. Nothing needs to be said about Rot; it's self explanatory.

I really think this years team is a lot better than last years team. The record doesn't reflect it due to all the problems that have been hashed out several times over, but we're about finished with that now.

If it doesn't pan out the way we all hope then so be it, but I think it will be better.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 25, 2009, 09:50:30 pm
did you watch the game?

All three of those guys contributed largely to the win. They are role players, not stars.

Britt hit a big 3 for us and played tough defense.
Welsh took over for Nobles and had some nice finishes around the rim.
Bryant played great interior defense and grabbed 11 boards, while providing energy.

I did watch the game.  Over all body of work in the early games is what I'm talking about.  Pre-SEC has not been that great.  We have been struggling too much to beat rent-a-wins.  That goes back to coaching.  The players are doing what they can but the coaching aspect is looked over.
We don't rent pigs

tiber

There have been multiple people in this forum, this year, who clearly feel vindicated if our team loses.  Further, they ridicule people who voice support for the team. 
Seen anyone who fits this description?  Clearly others in this thread have.

hogsmaster

My hope is that we end up this season the opposite of last year by finishing strong in conference play after struggling out of conference.  Think that would give me more hope for the upcoming years.

Smokehouse

Welsh showed uncharacteristically strong leadership during the game. We wouldn't have won if he and Nobles had switched minutes.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Science Fiction Greg

You tried to make that point by saying that Bryant, Welsh, and Britt didn't contribute, even though all three players that aren't even regular starters played key roles in the win, one of them even having a career game, likely earning himself a ton more playing time?

Dugann

Time over due imo!  Pel give'em hell! :razorback:
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: Dugann on December 26, 2009, 03:00:16 am
Time over due imo!  Pel give'em hell! :razorback:
He already has.....................
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!