Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Latest from Pel on Fortson and Support from Gearhart and Long

Started by WilsonHog, December 24, 2009, 11:12:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

On Fortson retuning against Baylor, Pel said there was "no update."

On his job security: "My focus is with this basketball team. I know who I work for. Those guys (Chancellor Dave Gearhart and Jeff Long) have been very supportive to my face. I believe them." Pel also said that nothing has weakened his resolve to stay at Arkansas and be successful here.

Good stuff from Bob Holt and the Democrat-Gazette.

3kgthog

The_Iceman

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

I don't know if Fortson is going to play or not, but I don't think Pel would say yes 6 days in advance.

thirtythree

Quote from: Karma on December 24, 2009, 12:14:41 pm
I don't know if Fortson is going to play or not, but I don't think Pel would say yes 6 days in advance.

Exactly. Let Baylor prepare for Fortson no matter what. I am sure they have heard all the rumors (whether true or not) abiut that being his return date. I am sure they are working on stopping him.

That just like CBP on a couple of injuries this season. We didn't know anything till kickoff, but he knew a few days in advance.

I call that smart.

Now, I hope he plays, but I don't blame them for holding if that's the case.

Good stuff Wilson.

rude1

I don't expect for there to be any advance announcement when Fortson plays. The standard answer will be "no change" till you see him in a game. Wasn't this how it went with Welsh? There was never an announcement that he was going to play that I recall.

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on December 24, 2009, 12:29:23 pm
I don't expect for there to be any advance announcement when Fortson plays. The standard answer will be "no change" till you see him in a game. Wasn't this how it went with Welsh? There was never an announcement that he was going to play that I recall.

I believe you're right.

jry04

Smokehouse

Quote from: rude1 on December 24, 2009, 12:29:23 pm

right, there was no announcement. Took me a while the first game he came back but I suddenly realized "hey, that's Welsh warming up."
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Danny J

Theres no chance pelphrey will annouce fortsons return. You will notice him warning up before the game and that will be the only annoucement there is. There is no way I would let Baylor know in advance he is going to play.

Porkatarian

Pel, who is by all accounts a very good guy, is in despirate need for Public Relations professional.  I don't think I would ever use the expression publicly about my bosses "being supportive to my face".  It really makes me wonder if Pel has heard some things that Long has said about him privately.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 26, 2009, 12:17:08 pm
It really makes me wonder if Pel has heard some things that Long has said about him privately.

Porkatarian out...

I was wondering that also.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

WMHawgfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 24, 2009, 11:34:41 am
Again, Fortson is done. Why is Holt still asking?
part of me thinks you may be right, but my logical side keeps saying "if fortson is done then why is he practicing with the team?".

Porkem

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 26, 2009, 12:37:35 pm
part of me thinks you may be right, but my logical side keeps saying "if fortson is done then why is he practicing with the team?".

To get ready for Europe....what else is he going to do?  He may be done playing basketball for the Hogs...but he's not done playing basketball.  Why wouldn't he be practicing?
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 26, 2009, 01:25:57 pm
To get ready for Europe....what else is he going to do?  He may be done playing basketball for the Hogs...but he's not done playing basketball.  Why wouldn't he be practicing?
umm has he been practicing with the team all year?
i think he has only started practicing with the team in the last couple of weeks. if there is no intent on him playing this year, they wouldn't bother letting him practice with the team.

Eddie Goodson

Fortson is practicing because he is being paid to. He is still on scholarship, suspended or not. His return date is irrelevant. As long as he is having his education paid for, he has to do as told.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

blacksuit

Pel, who is by all accounts a very good guy, is in despirate need for Public Relations professional.  I don't think I would ever use the expression publicly about my bosses "being supportive to my face".  It really makes me wonder if Pel has heard some things that Long has said about him privately.

Now that you mention it that was a curious, and perhaps careless choice of words. Might mean nothing, but you never know.

HawgAdvocate

Porkatarian out...
Quote from: blacksuit on December 26, 2009, 08:20:25 pm
Now that you mention it that was a curious, and perhaps careless choice of words. Might mean nothing, but you never know.

Or it might be that he's just being honest. Lord knows some of you on here, who claim to be in the know, talk openly about "big donors" who openly "demand change" to Long. What need is there to play patty-cake with the media on this subject when his job security is obviously being discussed so openly? He certainly knows the score.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 26, 2009, 09:16:59 pm
Or it might be that he's just being honest. Lord knows some of you on here, who claim to be in the know, talk openly about "big donors" who openly "demand change" to Long. What need is there to play patty-cake with the media on this subject when his job security is obviously being discussed so openly? He certainly knows the score.

Holy cow.  We agree on something. :P
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jman

IMO, this whole Fortson thing is out of hand.  Hes suspended, fine.....but, if your JP or JL, you need to telll the fans something other than.......we'll see as we go.  Thats BS.  They should set a definite date for Fortsons return and tell the fans....or if Fortson is not coming back, thats what they should step up and say.  At least give the fan base some direction and not just the same old week after week "lets wait and see BS!" :puke:  The fanbase has done a lot of waiting and not much seeing! ::)

Lil Wayne

hawgsav1

Quote from: jman on December 27, 2009, 03:04:48 am
IMO, this whole Fortson thing is out of hand.  Hes suspended, fine.....but, if your JP or JL, you need to telll the fans something other than.......we'll see as we go.  Thats BS.  They should set a definite date for Fortsons return and tell the fans....or if Fortson is not coming back, thats what they should step up and say.  At least give the fan base some direction and not just the same old week after week "lets wait and see BS!" :puke:  The fanbase has done a lot of waiting and not much seeing! ::)

Honestly, JP is responsible for nothing except wins and losses, apart from making sure he doesn't break NCAA rules and fulfill the terms in his contract.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 26, 2009, 09:16:59 pm
you can be honest and still be discreet......the ".....to my face...." quote was one I'll bet Pelphrey wishes he had back....its sort of like prefacing a statement with, "to tell you the truth.....",this implies that unless I lead with ' to tell you the truth ' what I'm saying may or may not ring true

ad: just like the statement above mine beginning with..."honestly....
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jman

They owe the Razorback fans an explanation.  If they expect us to accept loses while one of the best PG's in the country is missing games.....they need to explain themselves.

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 27, 2009, 03:12:08 am
Honestly, JP is responsible for nothing except wins and losses, apart from making sure he doesn't break NCAA rules and fulfill the terms in his contract.

ua_hogs

Quote from: jman on December 27, 2009, 03:25:45 am
They owe the Razorback fans an explanation.  If they expect us to accept loses while one of the best PG's in the country is missing games.....they need to explain themselves.

Or they are not sure when Forston will be able to return therefore have nothing to say.

orgkeith

I quess they could have let him play and flunk out at midterm.  That sure would have been a real fiasco for Pel.  At least now he will play the conference season before he exits.  Hopefully he wont be suspended for missing classes in the spring.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 24, 2009, 11:34:41 am
Again, Fortson is done. Why is Holt still asking?

Some people (GuvHog, etc) still think Fortson has to play.

Holt asks because fans want him to.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

GuvHog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on December 27, 2009, 07:49:27 am
*Some people (GuvHog, etc) still think Fortson has to play.

Holt asks because fans want him to.

Only if he's learned from his mistakes and is a better person (and player). If not, he won't be much help to the
team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boarbreath

There are strict student privacy laws these days.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jman on December 27, 2009, 03:04:48 am

How is it out of hand? Perhaps you're obsessing over this a bit to much and need to take a step back. The fans don't need to know anything if it breaks student privacy laws. Perhaps Fortson doesn't want you to know what he's dealing with. Perhaps the BAC doesn't feel that one man's issus are any of your business. The games go on without him.

If Fortson wasn't coming back, he'd be formally dismissed much the same way Jason Henry was. You've been told on here a hundred times in the past week when Fortson will be returning. Hopefully you'll be in North Little Rock in three days to see it all for yourself.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

3kgthog

We can't simply dismiss anyone like we did Henry. The APR debacle is preventing this. One more dismissal and we'll likely lose a scholarship or two.

Ray Piggers

So, if Fortson returns and plays the rest of the season.. Does he play next year?

I keep seeing peoples lineups for next year, and they pretty much all exclude Fortson.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 27, 2009, 11:31:47 am
We can't simply dismiss anyone like we did Henry. The APR debacle is preventing this. One more dismissal and we'll likely lose a scholarship or two.

The point was that we have plenty of options available should the AD not want Fortson to play Razorback basketball ever again, as you have implied they are truly doing. We can suspend him for the entire year if we like, much like we did Beverley before he chose to go pro overseas. They could have even called it a redshirt year if they wanted, much like Mitch Petrus did when he was changing majors.

But no, that's not the case. He will play again, and it will be very soon.

farmhawg

Porkatarian out...
Very strange comment.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Porkatarian

"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

football17

The Boar War

I've noticed that Courtney gets better the longer he is held out.  He is a good point guard and can get to the hole but calling him one of the best point guards in the country is a stretch.

GuvHog

Quote from: The Boar War on December 29, 2009, 11:16:44 am
I've noticed that Courtney gets better the longer he is held out.  He is a good point guard and can get to the hole but calling him one of the best point guards in the country is a stretch.

It's not a stretch at all. He was named as one of the top freshmen PGs in the nation last year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Boar War

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 29, 2009, 03:09:36 pm
It's not a stretch at all. He was named as one of the top freshmen PGs in the nation last year.

By whom?

thirtythree

HawgAdvocate

I do believe he lead all freshman PGs in dimes/game last year in D1 basketball.

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 29, 2009, 04:27:12 pm

I didn't realize that.  I know he is a good point guard but I didn't realize he was in that category.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 29, 2009, 04:27:12 pm

Did he also lead in drives to the basket that ended up with him jumping into the air, getting into trouble, and throwing up any kind of wing and prayer he can think of to keep from traveling?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

VirginiaHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 29, 2009, 06:35:19 pm
Did he also lead in drives to the basket that ended up with him jumping into the air, getting into trouble, and throwing up any kind of wing and prayer he can think of to keep from traveling?
Maybe, but most went in for the score, or he got the other team to foul.

HawgAdvocate

Prolly so. He averaged 15ppg, 5 boards, and 6 dimes, all while shooting nearly 43% from the floor as a true freshman. Hate it all you want, but it was pretty damn effective.

The Boar War

I expect that Courtney will be the same player this year.  The only difference, and it's a good one for us, is that we have another scoring threat down low.