Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotnei Quote About Welsh

Started by Hogtropolis™, December 22, 2009, 09:44:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

When being interviewed after the game by Rick Shaffer, Rick asked what were you thinking when your shots weren't falling early in the game. Rotnei's answer I thought was very telling about how much Welsh has matured since last year.

He said something along these lines...

"As a shooter you have to keep shooting. The coaches told me to keep shooting and the seniors, STEF and Mike told me to just keep shooting."

I know a lot on here disagree with me on this, but I believe Welsh is a very important part of this team when he is playing unselfish ball and he has been doing just that.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 22, 2009, 09:44:18 pm
Welsh is a very important part of this team when he is playing unselfish ball and he has been doing just that.

This is the key and I said it after his first game back.  He looked like a different player to me.  Much more unselfish.  He still has some WTFHMF moments.  But, I think he realized the err of some of his ways while he was sitting the bench. 

dougieritch

Welsh makes me nervous, sometimes he does some good things and then other times he is out of control.

akp4105

Welsh played outstanding, unselfish basketball tonight.

Niels Boar

Welsh's 4 assists to 2 TO's looks pretty good on a night when the rest of the team managed 6 assists to 18 TOs.  The TOs and lack of Oreb almost wasted our first really good defensive effort in some time.  Yes, Fortson could make a difference.  At least he usually piles up assists when he gets TOitis.

Breems

I've been very annoyed with Welsh in the past due to his everlasting desire to do too much, but this year he looks like he has matured.  He's being forced to play the PG position and did it much better tonight.  He's very valuable to the program when he is unselfish, and that move where he broke down two defenders at the top of the key and drove in for the layup was a very good move.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

WMHawgfan

he and bryant were the keys to winning tonight. we were a much better team with welsh on the floor tonight. not a knock on nobles but he is struggling running the offense. was pleased to see we actually ran what appeared to be some offensive sets tonight. hopefully these young guys are starting to figure it out.

akp4105

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 22, 2009, 09:51:56 pm
he and bryant were the keys to winning tonight. we were a much better team with welsh on the floor tonight. not a knock on nobles but he is struggling running the offense. was pleased to see we actually ran what appeared to be some offensive sets tonight. hopefully these young guys are starting to figure it out.

Bryant and Welsh played great tonight. They knew their roles.. they did what they were suppose to do. They brought energy to the floor all night.

heathtits

We absolutely need Welsh, especially without Fortson.

As good as Nobles has been, I think he will get eaten alive by SEC guards.

He's one of the strangest players I've ever watched. Sometimes, like tonight when he made that MJ esque split the defenders at the top of the key in the second half and took it in for a layup, he showed the skill and body control of a real player. Then two possessions later, he was running faster than his handles could keep up and without anyone guarding him, lost the ball and gave it straight to the other team.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: heathtits on December 22, 2009, 09:58:25 pm

He's one of the strangest players I've ever watched. Sometimes, like tonight when he made that MJ esque split the defenders at the top of the key in the second half and took it in for a layup, he showed the skill and body control of a real player. Then two possessions later, he was running faster than his handles could keep up and without anyone guarding him, lost the ball and gave it straight to the other team.
agreed, Welsh is an enigma as far as his playing ability
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

3kgthog

Welsh does not need to shoot beyond the arc more than 2-3 times a game. I don't even want to see him think about it. He needs to stick to driving the lane and making those layups in traffic that we saw him make tonight. The same goes for Britt. Don't ever shoot. Please. Not only is his shot uglier than Ronnie Brewer's, it's not even within 20 percentage points of being as accurate.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 22, 2009, 10:25:45 pm
Welsh does not need to shoot beyond the arc more than 2-3 times a game. I don't even want to see him think about it. He needs to stick to driving the lane and making those layups in traffic that we saw him make tonight. The same goes for Britt. Don't ever shoot. Please. Not only is his shot uglier than Ronnie Brewer's, it's not even within 20 percentage points of being as accurate.
I think Britt beat Rotnei in a 3-point contest last year before the Red-White Game.  I'm not trying to say he is a better shooter than Rotnei, but I just wanted to put that out there.

akp4105

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 22, 2009, 10:53:55 pm
I think Britt beat Rotnei in a 3-point contest last year before the Red-White Game.  I'm not trying to say he is a better shooter than Rotnei, but I just wanted to put that out there.

I think Rotnei scored our last 12 points.. just wanted to put that out there.

Smokehouse

There was one point when a call went against us (don't remember exactly when) but in the pause while the ball was changing hands Welsh called the team over and was obviously doing some motivating, clapping and encouraging.

Glad to see him showing some leadership.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: akp4105 on December 22, 2009, 11:32:53 pm
I think Rotnei scored our last 12 points.. just wanted to put that out there.
I'm not trying to say anything at all about Rotnei.  Everyone knows he's the best shooter on our team and possibly the best shooter in the nation.  I am just trying to point out that Britt, though he is not known for his offense, is still an above average shooter and contrary to what 3ktghog said, I have no problem with him taking a shot when he feels he is open.

Foshodo

Quote from: heathtits on December 22, 2009, 09:58:25 pm

i've said this for about 3 years now but steph plays best when he has a foot on his throat... the problem is by playing well in that stranglehold he works his way out of it and then starts to do too much and ends up hurting us... it's been a very long cycle and the bad lasts longer than the good...

akp4105

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 22, 2009, 11:45:48 pm
I'm not trying to say anything at all about Rotnei.  Everyone knows he's the best shooter on our team and possibly the best shooter in the nation.  I am just trying to point out that Britt, though he is not known for his offense, is still an above average shooter and contrary to what 3ktghog said, I have no problem with him taking a shot when he feels he is open.

I was giving you a hard time.. just a joke. I'd take Welsh shooting the 3 over Britt though.

rude1

Maybe for the first time Welsh appears to be playing within his ability. Last season he had the misfortune of having some 3 balls fall for him early, convincing him he was a good shooter. For the rest of the season we saw him standing behind the arc firing away, always looking for shot first.

While he wouldn't be anyone's choice as their point guard, he is playing within himself, getting the team in its offense, looking for his lanes to penetrate and get to the basket, and overall has the look of a guy who has bought into the team concept.

Haven't watched these guys much this year for obvious reasons, but for the first time I think I saw a group of guys where there was no jealousy, who cared for one another, who picked each other up and who played hard as a unit.

rude1

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 22, 2009, 10:25:45 pm
Didn't Britt have the best 3point percentage on the team last season? He has looked bad thus far this season, but he isn't as bad as his early numbers are indicating.

TRUHOG718

December 23, 2009, 08:58:28 am #19 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:04:43 am by TRUHOG718
welsh can never make up for 3 years of wanting to be DA MAN. but he seems to be have matured and Im happy he is on the team this year.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

stchane

Quote from: Niels Boar on December 22, 2009, 09:50:48 pm
Welsh's 4 assists to 2 TO's looks pretty good on a night when the rest of the team managed 6 assists to 18 TOs.  The TOs and lack of Oreb almost wasted our first really good defensive effort in some time.  Yes, Fortson could make a difference.  At least he usually piles up assists when he gets TOitis.

What that stat line doesn't tell you is how many shots he took to get those four points.  He took and missed several shots.  But whereas in the past that might have been a bad thing because they were contested threes, he was taking mid-range shots off of a drive, or taking a shot at the foul line in a fast break situation.  His decision making is better than it was last year, and while he still has his "Welsh" moments, they are much fewer and farther between.  The team certainly has benefitted from the improved decision making and added leadership...

He might be giving up his starting spot on the all-hated team soon. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

TRUHOG718

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 22, 2009, 09:51:56 pm
When bryant got the and 1 his attitude changed the whole demenor of the team.  he was super fired up and it carried over. Ive known about Bryant or "Dark Skin Glenn" as we call him and I knew he had it in him. Glad to see him contribute and get it going because he's been working hard.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on December 23, 2009, 09:03:43 am
When bryant got the and 1 his attitude changed the whole demenor of the team.  he was super fired up and it carried over. Ive known about Bryant or "Dark Skin Glenn" as we call him and I knew he had it in him. Glad to see him contribute and get it going because he's been working hard.

That kid is a freak. He's got arms longer than the aliens with three elbows on each arm from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TRUHOG718

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 23, 2009, 10:17:27 am
That kid is a freak. He's got arms longer than the aliens with three elbows on each arm from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
You could clearly see when he wanted a rebound noone could get it over him. He was jumping well over the other team and his arm are freakish long.  H'es been letting defenders push him around or just not going hard after the ball off the rim. Someones been working with him. I hope he reads this board because he played Razorback ball last night and his efforts and spirit is well appreciated.  TRUHOG OUT