Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How can any Razorback fan be unhappy about tonights win?

Started by Lanny, December 22, 2009, 09:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

I have not been happy with the BB program and Coach Pelphrey but I will take every win and appreciate them.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hawgsmellgud

I am very glad for a win.

What I cannot understand is that this is looked at like a UPSET win.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Oliver

First win against a really good team this year.  Ludicrous to try and find fault with this win.

3kgthog

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Oliver Miller on December 22, 2009, 09:39:40 pm
First win against a really good team this year.  Ludicrous to try and find fault with this win.

Really good? they are still Missouri State. I don't see it. I don't get it. I guess I just won't understand it.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

elksnort

Quote from: Oliver Miller on December 22, 2009, 09:39:40 pm
O you are a changed poster.

I agree. It was a nice victory for sure. If they can get EVERYONE back and playing, maybe....just maybe they can go 0.500 in conference and make an NIT bid.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Lanny on December 22, 2009, 09:38:00 pm
I have not been happy with the BB program and Coach Pelphrey but I will take every win and appreciate them.

Absolutely. Great to be a Hog fan tonight.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

heathtits

Lot's of mistakes but no one can ever fault playing all heart. Good to see them not collapse after the defensive breakdown at the end of regular time.

With Fortson in the lineup and everyone healthy, I expect .500 in SEC this year. The talent is there, I hope the understanding and consistency will follow at some point.

hognatx

Quote from: Lanny on December 22, 2009, 09:38:00 pm
Me too,go hogs

Breems

Quote from: Corndog7 on December 22, 2009, 09:44:27 pm
Somewhere, batmanfan is crying.

Nah, I'll bet he's happy and will post something positive later actually.

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

dougieritch

Quote from: Corndog7 on December 22, 2009, 09:44:27 pm
Somewhere, batmanfan is crying.

He's Out Playing With Robin!

Great Win, I thought the easy layup at the end of regulation was the last straw since we were having trouble scoring.  Glad we got the win, will help me sleep better tonight!

GO HOGS!

Ugly Uncle

I'm happy with the win.  I'm happy with some things I saw tonight...man we have some players.  But, I am unhappy with a few things I saw.  But over all, I was thrilled with the win.
Retired Radio Host

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: ImissBrewer on December 22, 2009, 09:47:18 pm
Nah, I'll bet he's happy and will post something positive later actually.

You do realize he actually is on record as rooting against Arkansas while Pelphrey is here, right?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Breems

Quote from: Corndog7 on December 22, 2009, 10:00:52 pm
You do realize he actually is on record as rooting against Arkansas while Pelphrey is here, right?

I thought he said something about posting something positive about the team if we won.

Wait, I think that was actually jman.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

stchane

Quote from: heathtits on December 22, 2009, 09:46:33 pm
With Fortson in the lineup and everyone healthy, I expect .500 in SEC this year. The talent is there, I hope the understanding and consistency will follow at some point.

Thats the 1st rational thing I've seen you post in this forum.  With so many turnovers, it obvious that we're having point guard issues.  While Fortson wasn't "Mr. protect the ball" last year, he certainly made up for it by making plays for others. 

I'm still not a Welsh fan, but watching him tonight he looked like his decision making was better than it was last year.  He still missed 100 shots, but they were a lot closer to the rim, and he drove the ball more.  I'll take that anyday of the week over contested threes.  And the only reason Welsh is at the point is because Nobles just isn't getting it done.  Its tough to expect him to as well. 

At the "here we go again" moment in the 1st half I was SO PROUD to see Glen Bryant step up and say "enough is enough."  I thought his spark in the 1st half was the difference in the game for the Hogs.  We don't win that game without him.  Maybe this game will have helped us develop some chemistry. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

pfrg999

I am just Glad they won.. Clarke was clutch.... Man it was a great game...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

heathtits

Quote from: stchane on December 22, 2009, 10:03:16 pm
I'm still not a Welsh fan, but watching him tonight he looked like his decision making was better than it was last year.  He still missed 100 shots, but they were a lot closer to the rim, and he drove the ball more.  I'll take that anyday of the week over contested threes.  And the only reason Welsh is at the point is because Nobles just isn't getting it done.  Its tough to expect him to as well.  

It's not the first rational thing but lately they've been few and far between.

And I agree on your assessment of Welsh, I said it in another thread, Welsh is going to end up being our backup PG if Fortson makes it back and probably our starter if he doesn't. The SEC isn't going to be any nicer on Nobles and besides his first outing on the court, the team and offense looked WAY more effective with Welsh running it than Nobles.

Love listening to Blake Eddins too. He's hilarious and I agree with just about everything he says. The "Federline beard" callout on one of their players was classic.

Oh yeah, and Welsh actually freakin' pushes the ball. He may lose it about 1/2 the time but I'd much rather us lose the ball trying to create chances in transition than lose it making completely dumb passes in the half court offense which has been plaguing Nobles a lot lately.

thirtythree

Quote from: heathtits on December 22, 2009, 10:11:42 pm
It's not the first rational thing but lately they've been few and far between.

And I agree on your assessment of Welsh, I said it in another thread, Welsh is going to end up being our backup PG if Fortson makes it back and probably our starter if he doesn't. The SEC isn't going to be any nicer on Nobles and besides his first outing on the court, the team and offense looked WAY more effective with Welsh running it than Nobles.

Love listening to Blake Eddins too. He's hilarious and I agree with just about everything he says. The "Federline beard" callout on one of their players was classic.

Oh yeah, and Welsh actually freakin' pushes the ball. He may lose it about 1/2 the time but I'd much rather us lose the ball trying to create chances in transition than lose it making completely dumb passes in the half court offense which has been plaguing Nobles a lot lately.

That was the best line yet. That vindicated him from the swine flu thing.

The only way you can be disappointed with the win tonight is if you have such a strong anti-Pel agenda that you'd rather be right than have the Hogs win.

Queen Hog

Great game....I feel good.  My throat hurts from yelling.  Yay.  Go HOGS!!!!!!!
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

jgphillips3

I'm happy any time the hogs win and proud of the heart they displayed tonight, but calling this a "good win" only reminds me how far we have fallen, so let's just call it a hard fought win.

hillhog

donkey

I don't think any true fan can be unhappy about the outcome tonight. 

Tonight showed something that I almost didn't recognize because its been so long since I've seen it from a Pelphrey coached team.  But there it was.  IMPROVEMENT.

Now comes the task of carrying this momentum through the break and into conference.  We should be able to go .500 if/when Fortson is back.  I don't expect us to beat UK, Tenn, MSU, or Ole Miss, but every other game is very winnable.  Just got to do it. 

GuvHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 22, 2009, 10:32:20 pm
I'm happy any time the hogs win and proud of the heart they displayed tonight, but calling this a "good win" only reminds me how far we have fallen, so let's just call it a hard fought win.

You are aware that Missouri State was #25 in the RPI ratings coming into tonight's game aren't you??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

tomahawkhog

Good win...when the game was over, my 6yr old son screamed at the top of his lungs(at the game), and I told "him not so loud."  A lady right below me said..."let him yell as loud as he wants, this may be the only game he gets to do that."  I cracked up, and thought, she may be right :)
Go Hogs!

hawgsav1

Great win tonight.  Crowd was slightly better than in terms of numbers than the past few games, but still pretty weak.  I was told to "Sit down buddy.  People behind you can't see".  That pissed me off.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hog Waller

Because those unhappy have an agenda...plain and simple!

stchane

Quote from: donkey on December 22, 2009, 10:35:29 pm
I don't think any true fan can be unhappy about the outcome tonight. 

Tonight showed something that I almost didn't recognize because its been so long since I've seen it from a Pelphrey coached team.  But there it was.  IMPROVEMENT.

Now comes the task of carrying this momentum through the break and into conference.  We should be able to go .500 if/when Fortson is back.  I don't expect us to beat UK, Tenn, MSU, or Ole Miss, but every other game is very winnable.  Just got to do it. 

They showed a will to win that I haven't seen since this time last year.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hawgsav1

I must say, winning the last 5 games has made me re-evaluate my opinion of Pelphrey.  I was worried that he was a coach who couldn't stop the bleeding, meaning once a team started to fall apart, he couldn't turn them around.  Nevertheless, the last couple of games has been a positive situation.  I'm still waiting til the end of the season to get an idea about John Pelphrey's overall coaching ability.  Regardless, winning over a top 25 RPI team is impressive.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

The Boar War

Very good win tonight.  This is one we had to have after the way we went into overtime.  The hogs showed some guts and would not let this one be taken away.  Glenn Bryant and Marshawn are going to be good for us.  Rotnei is extremely clutch. 

Ray Piggers

It was a good game, the crowd was pretty into it the entire game. Got really loud at some points, kind of brought back feelings from when we NEVER lost home games. Glen Bryant needs more playing time, plain and simple. He's our best rebounder by a long shot. Marshawn is a beast, and Nobles handled it pretty well. I imagine Pel had Welsh in for experience. I wish he'd knock down a triple every once in a while. Rot's clutch as can be, Farmer needs to man up, and Mike Wash is kindof sortof starting to come around.

Hope Fortson can be the spark plug we need for a "semi" successful season.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

HawgBallLvr

Give it time, someone will bad mouth Pel for something he did wrong. The Hogs were prepared for this game. They played good. Fought back and won this game. GO HOGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring on Baylor!
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on December 22, 2009, 09:41:58 pm

Really good? they are still Missouri State. I don't see it. I don't get it. I guess I just won't understand it.

They were 10-0 coming in with all but one win I believe by double digits.  They destroyed Auburn, and a Tulsa team that is a probably NCAA team this year.

If we had played and beaten Butler, would that be a bad win because they are Butler, or a good win because they are a top 20 team

The 90's are over.  There are some really good mid majors out there now.  We'll see another possibly ranked mid major in UAB in a week and a half
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

razrken

Your right the 90's are over...cause at one time we were the winningest team in the 90's not that way anymore.

RxRazorback

Quote from: razrken on December 23, 2009, 01:42:39 am
Your right the 90's are over...cause at one time we were the winningest team in the 90's not that way anymore.

I would love to hear our record/performance this season will affect our 90's win total.

If you're going to be negative, at least make sense.
W88 Pig S88ie!

chiefsfan

Quote from: razrken on December 23, 2009, 01:42:39 am

It has nothing to do with Arkansas 90's record.  College  basketball itself has changed dramatically since then. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

GuvHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 23, 2009, 01:20:21 am
They were 10-0 coming in with all but one win I believe by double digits.  They destroyed Auburn, and a Tulsa team that is a probably NCAA team this year.

If we had played and beaten Butler, would that be a bad win because they are Butler, or a good win because they are a top 20 team

The 90's are over.  There are some really good mid majors out there now.  *We'll see another possibly ranked mid major in UAB in a week and a half

*That's a strong possibility because UAB beat Butler by around 10 points last night.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

I won't go as far as to stretch it out as a "great win", but it was the best win of the season by far.  Wasn't pretty and they made enough mistakes to have lost it, but they found a way to win it. I still don't see this team doing much the remainder of the season, but maybe they can continue to prove me wrong.

1highhog

Does anyone live close enough to check on FCJ?  I'm worried this win may have finally sent him to the hospital.

thirtythree

Quote from: 1highhog on December 23, 2009, 08:52:53 am
Does anyone live close enough to check on FCJ?  I'm worried this win may have finally sent him to the hospital.

I have to admit I am starting to worry about him too. There are no games till next week, so nothing changes from now till then.

Merry Christmas Joe. Come back and have some good discussion with us.

hogluv

He is getting paid to win. As long as he keeps winning he is doing his job. Aren't we all paid to do a job and fired when we don't do it well?

stchane

Quote from: stAte_Sig423 on December 23, 2009, 02:05:02 am
I would love to hear our record/performance this season will affect our 90's win total.

If you're going to be negative, at least make sense.

Or maybe at least have a point?

sirhog

I am very pleased with how hard the Hogs played last night. Couple of my takeaways:

Bryant played great. He had a couple of nice blocks that took some momentum away from Mo State. Plus he did a great job rebounding and keeping them from getting to many offensive boards. That was the difference in this game. I hope to see him play like this all year.

Clarke is amazing. That play where he misses the jump shot, then steals the ball, then hits the 3...wow! Also, I would like to see him shoot more of the those 15' jump shots. It is like a layup for most people.

Britt looks really improved to me this year. Has more confidence in his offense and still plays great defense.

Our defense played better. Mo State hit several 3's but took them a bunch of shots to do it. Plus they didn't shoot many open 3's. Defense contested almost every one of them which is a big improvement over earlier in the year. Overall I am very happy with the win and glad to see our guys give it their all.

98hogs

Glad for the win;however, didn't listen or watch the game.  Apathy has set in.   It was freakin Southwest Missouri State.  Back in the day if we won by twenty, then we were satisfied.

East TN HAWG

98hogs SMSU has always played Arkansas hard going back to the Spoonhower days, so I don't feel like Arkansas would have wone by 20 points, but your point is made.  I am very glad that the hogs won, but don't see why everyone on the board is all giddy.  It was one game against a lower tier team.  Last year, we beat TX and OK.  That was something to be all giddy.  Right now we don't know if the hogs have turned the corner or played a good game.  There is a difference.  We also don't know if MSU or SMSU was a little off.  The next few games will definitely let us know where we are.  If we win two or three, I'll be giddy.           

Biggus Piggus

SMS or Mo State has always been a competitive game.  This year they just happened to be 10-0.  This game will look good in March much less now.

Even if you don't like Pelphrey, you have to cheer for the Hogs.  They already went through a 4-20 stretch.  The damage is done.  Arkansas needs success for the sake of the program.  Things cannot get materially worse than 4-20.  The blood has been spilled. 

How many teams can go 4-20 then suddenly beat a top 50 opponent?  I really hope things start clicking.  It would be the comeback story of the decade.  Arkansas was gutbucket bottom, absolutely as low as it had been since Arkansas basketball began to matter.

One good win is a nice start, but the next nine games include six top 50 opponents and nobody outside the top 100.  Good news is the Hogs are 1-1 against the top 100 now (which of course means four losses against sub-100s).  The time for rising to the challenge is now.
[CENSORED]!

stchane

December 23, 2009, 10:49:56 am #48 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:53:21 am by stchane
Quote from: 98hogs on December 23, 2009, 10:12:36 am
Glad for the win;however, didn't listen or watch the game.  Apathy has set in.   It was freakin Southwest Missouri State.  Back in the day if we won by twenty, then we were satisfied.
Quote from: Randy Reece on December 23, 2009, 10:40:51 am
SMS or Mo State has always been a competitive game.  This year they just happened to be 10-0.  This game will look good in March much less now.

Even if you don't like Pelphrey, you have to cheer for the Hogs.  They already went through a 4-20 stretch.  The damage is done.  Arkansas needs success for the sake of the program.  Things cannot get materially worse than 4-20.  The blood has been spilled. 

How many teams can go 4-20 then suddenly beat a top 50 opponent?  I really hope things start clicking.  It would be the comeback story of the decade.  Arkansas was gutbucket bottom, absolutely as low as it had been since Arkansas basketball began to matter.

One good win is a nice start, but the next nine games include six top 50 opponents and nobody outside the top 100.  Good news is the Hogs are 1-1 against the top 100 now (which of course means four losses against sub-100s).  The time for rising to the challenge is now.

This has been a terrible decade for Razorback Basketball.  It doesn't all fall on Pelphrey.  He took over a senior laden team and that is where his problems begin.  But the program had been in bad shape before he even got there, albeit on the way up from Nolan's firing.  Not too many bright spots in the decade:

2000 SEC Tourney Champs (the only way we made the tourney that year).
2001 - 1st round tourney exit.
2005 - 1st round tourney exit
2006 - 1st round tourney exit
2007 - 1st round win against Indiana; 2nd round loss to UNC who went to the championship game

Kevin

different era of college basketball.

mid majors can play with the majors most night. for guaranteed 20 or more blow outs you have to play bad low majors.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22