Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pel's postgame shakedown!

Started by joebear, December 22, 2009, 09:35:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

joebear

Did anyone enjoy Pel's postgame handshake as much as I did!  I was sitting on the sofa watching him shake hands with Mo State's players and he looked like he had just finished a case of RedBull.  I started laughing outloud and the wife asked what was so funny!  Thanks Pel, I needed a good laugh!!!

LL COOL HOG

That was great. Can you imagine what Mo. St. was thinking shaking his hand.

This red head is psycho!

elksnort

Looked like Houston Nutt after the 2005 Ole Miss game.

chiefsfan

Quote from: elksnort on December 22, 2009, 09:38:22 pm

The difference is that the 05 Ole Miss game was a pointless game that coincided with Nutt getting villified far and wide for pulling Casey Dicks Redshirt.  .   That was more of him sticking it to our own fans

Pelphrey was not doing any of that.  he was thanking the crowd...   
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Snoop Hoggy Hog

December 22, 2009, 09:42:49 pm #4 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:44:30 pm by Snoop Hoggy Hog
Quote from: elksnort on December 22, 2009, 09:38:22 pm

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! All we needed was for him to go over to the student section and lead the fight song!

joebear

Don't get me wrong guys,  I probably looked just like him at that particular moment!  I was just happy to see I'm not the only one who looks hilarious after a big win! Can you laugh at it and love it at the same time? 

Hot_Town_Hog

Maybe he was excited...I was, for the first time this year. Go Hogs!!

Razor6

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 22, 2009, 09:40:32 pm
The difference is that the 05 Ole Miss game was a pointless game that coincided with Nutt getting villified far and wide for pulling Casey Dicks Redshirt.  .   That was more of him sticking it to our own fans

Pelphrey was not doing any of that.  he was thanking the crowd...  

+1 for your rational and reason.  Great post! And response to a post!  No reason to bring Pel down for his true emotion and heart! 
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Corkscrew Johnson

Win at Missouri!  Then onto Texas!  Then Mississippi!  Then Alabama!  Then Tennessee!  Arrraggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

pick_DA_EAGLES

did anybody else happen to read his lips as he was walking toward mid court then again after he got thru was his much appreciated spirited handshake?

if not i will tell you as best i can

"F*CK YA!"

i have it on dvr and backed up and read it again. its about time we see some emotion from the coach and the most emotion i have seen from the team in a while.

PLUS 1 TO THE HOGS AND COACH PEL!!!  :razorback:

Queen Hog

I was sitting here laughing too when Pel went nuts.  I thought he was going to knock some of those kids down he was so excited.  It was great to see passion. 
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

I was elated and horrifed at the same time.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: hoghoopfan on December 22, 2009, 10:22:48 pm
why is that something good to say on the court after a game?  I don't appreciate anyone using that language in any situation.  Aren't they educated enough to express their feelings in an appropriate manner?

what educated word is there that says as much as that word?

lighten up a little its not like he goes around spewing off like that all the time.

he got caught up in the excitement and let his emotions get out of control.

this win could prove to save his job as well. (if we can keep winning)

so I.M.O. he had the right to say that.

edt

Lighten up Francis, come join the real world.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Losing would have been embarrassing.  That was just a spontaneous showing of emotion from a guy that was wound very tight.  He needed a quality win of any sort, and while not Duke, Kansas, or an SEC foe, it was a quality win.  Not perfect but definitely something to build on for the team and the fans. So I can appreciate a Hell Yeah and an F' Yeah or a Boom MF.

That's the kind of grit and determination we want our players to have, I don't think it will be lost on them either.  And it would be nice if the fans got that crazy on a consistent basis.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ballhog™

I liked it...been a tough year so far, but I'd like to see more of that fire from Pel...seemed he showed it a little less lately
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Smokehouse

the look on Pel's face as it went into OT was priceless. Kind of an amused 'dear Lord, I should have known this would happen' look.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 22, 2009, 11:23:17 pm
Losing would have been embarrassing.  That was just a spontaneous showing of emotion from a guy that was wound very tight.  He needed a quality win of any sort, and while not Duke, Kansas, or an SEC foe, it was a quality win.  Not perfect but definitely something to build on for the team and the fans. So I can appreciate a Hell Yeah and an F' Yeah or a Boom MF.

That's the kind of grit and determination we want our players to have, I don't think it will be lost on them either.  And it would be nice if the fans got that crazy on a consistent basis.

Ya, losing to an undefeated team would have been embarrassing. Whatever dude. It was an awesome win. Hard fought, struggle at times, but they found the will and fight to win this game. Fans were supportive and screamed just like I did. Get behind this team or GTFO. GO HOGS GO!!!!!!!
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

pick_DA_EAGLES

the only way it would have been considered an embaressment to have lost would be because we had the lead late and gave up an easy basket.

elksnort

Quote from: Razor6 on December 22, 2009, 09:55:27 pm
+1 for your rational and reason.  Great post! And response to a post!  No reason to bring Pel down for his true emotion and heart! 

Yeah, I am just so darn irrational.

jman

December 23, 2009, 11:16:11 am #20 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:19:19 am by jman
I'm not normally in favor of a HC going nuts after a game, but this one was a little different.  Lets examine some of the reasons why John exploded after the game.

*Missouri St. was 10-0....they are a pretty good team.

*Arkansas played with a fire in their gut and a chip on their shoulder.

*Pel and his staff have been under great stress lately because fans like me are holding them accountable for performance.

*Some of the young bucks finally showed some flash last night and Rot made better decisions late when the game was on the line.

*Missouri St. stormed the court last year when they beat Ark......having that plastered all over ESPN was embarassing...so dont think there was not pleasure in paying them back last night.

*We were down several times last night and had the opportunity to fold.  However, the players and coaches would not give up.  They kept working hard and most of all playing much better pressure on the ball defense.

*Last...I'm not saying he can accomplish it, but, by JP's post game reactions clearly shows his fire is still burning and clearly wants to take the Razorbacks to the top.  Whether he can do it is another ?question?

For me, that game was a pleasure to watch.  Both teams played well at times and executed well.  Both wanted to win the game and no one gave up until the final horn of OT sounded.  There was clear emotions conveyed from both sides of the ball. 

thirtythree

Quote from: jman on December 23, 2009, 11:16:11 am
I'm not normally in favor of a HC going nuts after a game, but this one was a little different.  Lets examine some of the reasons why John exploded after the game.

*Missouri St. was 10-0....they are a pretty good team.

*Arkansas played with a fire in their gut and a chip on their shoulder.

*Pel and his staff have been under great stress lately because fans like me are holding them accountable for performance.

*Some of the young bucks finally showed some flash last night and Rot made better decisions late when the game was on the line.

*Missouri St. stormed the court last year when they beat Ark......having that plastered all over ESPN was embarassing...so dont think there was not pleasure in paying them back last night.

*We were down several times last night and had the opportunity to fold.  However, the players and coaches would not give up.  They kept working hard and most of all playing much better pressure on the ball defense.

*Last...I'm not saying he can accomplish it, but, by JP's post game reactions clearly shows his fire is still burning and clearly wants to take the Razorbacks to the top.  Whether he can do it is another ?question?

For me, that game was a pleasure to watch.  Both teams played well at times and executed well.  Both wanted to win the game and no one gave up until the final horn of OT sounded.  There was clear emotions conveyed from both sides of the ball.

That is the best post I have ever seen you make. Great job. +1.

jman

December 23, 2009, 11:26:53 am #22 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:28:47 am by jman
The better we play....the more my sanity returns.   I just love the hogs so much....I'm very emotional about the razorbacks.  They are all I've ever known.  And as irrational as it may seem at times...I want them to win everything all the time.  JP changed my mind about a lot of things last night by showing me what it means to him for Arkansas to have success.  If you dont care, you dont show the emotion he did after last nights game.  If he can get these young players to find the same emotion, we will be a pain in the Arse for the rest of the teams on our schedule.

Quote from: thirtythree on December 23, 2009, 11:21:59 am
That is the best post I have ever seen you make. Great job. +1.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on December 22, 2009, 11:45:38 pm
Ya, losing to an undefeated team would have been embarrassing. Whatever dude. It was an awesome win. Hard fought, struggle at times, but they found the will and fight to win this game. Fans were supportive and screamed just like I did. Get behind this team or GTFO. GO HOGS GO!!!!!!!

My response was to the poster who said Pel's reaction after the game was embarassing it wasn't.  The point was if we are worried about being embarrassed it shouldn't be the coaches post game reaction but rather what happens on the court.  And undefeated opponent or not I would have been embarrassed by at loss at home to a mid major opponent.  We should want our players to feel embarrassed after a loss as well.  Usually when you are embarrassed that means you work twice as hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also DUDE my post was very supportive of Pel, and his reaction and hoping that the team and fans follow suit.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

thirtythree

Quote from: jman on December 23, 2009, 11:26:53 am
The better we play....the more my sanity returns.   I just love the hogs so much....I'm very emotional about the razorbacks.  They are all I've ever known.  And as irrational as it may seem at times...I want them to win everything all the time.  JP changed my mind about a lot of things last night by showing me what it means to him for Arkansas to have success.  If you dont care, you dont show the emotion he did after last nights game.  If he can get these young players to find the same emotion, we will be a pain in the Arse for the rest of the teams on our schedule.

agreed.

football17

as a coach you have to act like you've won a big game before... he looked ridiculous...

jman

Last night, I saw an overall improvement as a team or unit for the first time this year against a pretty good team.   Our team needed a big shot of confidence and I feel that they got a pretty good dose last night.  And this game was better than blowing out Missouri st. because we had to dig deep and have crucial gut checks throughout the game.  That builds confidence, especially for the young players.

Quote from: thirtythree on December 23, 2009, 11:42:32 am
agreed.

thirtythree

Quote from: jman on December 23, 2009, 11:48:03 am
Last night, I saw an overall improvement as a team or unit for the first time this year against a pretty good team.   Our team needed a big shot of confidence and I feel that they got a pretty good dose last night.  And this game was better than blowing out Missouri st. because we had to dig deep and have crucial gut checks throughout the game.  That builds confidence, especially for the young players.

I think during this 5 gam winning streak the improvement has been very gradual in many areas at different times. To your point, last night looked totally different to me as well. It looked like they made huge strides in a lot of areas in the game. The rebounding numbers, FT%, the man to man defense except on inbound plays the whole game and just sheer energy when Bryant got'em going.

jman

I agree that this would not be acceptable on a normal basis.  However, last nights win over a pretty good Mo. St. means a lot for this teams outlook on the rest of the year.  I started a thread yesterday about how this game was our make or break game of the year.  I still believe that.  Like I said, if he acts like this again, I wont support it, but sometimes you have those break thru wins, and for this team, I believe that Mo. St. represents much more than just a "W" in the win column

Quote from: football17 on December 23, 2009, 11:46:46 am
as a coach you have to act like you've won a big game before... he looked ridiculous...

jman

Bryant and Powell look like they could be beast.....very athletic, very aggressive.....those boys just want it.

Quote from: thirtythree on December 23, 2009, 11:51:42 am
I think during this 5 gam winning streak the improvement has been very gradual in many areas at different times. To your point, last night looked totally different to me as well. It looked like they made huge strides in a lot of areas in the game. The rebounding numbers, FT%, the man to man defense except on inbound plays the whole game and just sheer energy when Bryant got'em going.

thirtythree

Quote from: jman on December 23, 2009, 11:54:26 am
Bryant and Powell look like they could be beast.....very athletic, very aggressive.....those boys just want it.

I hoe and pray that CF comes back with a good attitude and stays out of trouble. I think we will truly see what this team can do with a "true" experienced PG that can handle pressure and make the pass in the lane. I love Nobles and think he will be good in a couple years, but he is not ready for the starting spot yet.

jman

Its been a little unfair to Nobles.  He got thrown right into the fire straight out of HS.  Its been good though, hes going to be a year ahead of where he would have been when Fortson does come back.  This will be great having another PG with experience who can spare Fortson for a few minutes here and there.  I also think Nobles has been getting tired a lot early in the year.  I know one game he played nearly the whole 40 minutes.  Even the best teams in the country only play their best players around 25-30 minutes a game.

Quote from: thirtythree on December 23, 2009, 11:57:05 am
I hoe and pray that CF comes back with a good attitude and stays out of trouble. I think we will truly see what this team can do with a "true" experienced PG that can handle pressure and make the pass in the lane. I love Nobles and think he will be good in a couple years, but he is not ready for the starting spot yet.

hogfan446

I guess I am in the minority.  I thought he looked like a mornon slapping the other teams hand saying F Yeah.  I realize we have been struggling, but I think he needs to act like he has been there before.

Ask yourself this... would Bobby P have done that after struggling?  I don't think so.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: hogfan446 on December 23, 2009, 12:07:11 pm
I guess I am in the minority.  I thought he looked like a mornon slapping the other teams hand saying F Yeah.  I realize we have been struggling, but I think he needs to act like he has been there before.

Ask yourself this... would Bobby P have done that after struggling?  I don't think so.

what is a MORNON?

ask yourself this,

are petrino and pel the same people?

is petrino on the fans hot seat needing a win of any kind at home?

is petrino's way of coaching the only way to get things done?

here i will help,

no they are not

maybe hes hoping if he shows a little more emotion, the players will play with more emotion.

maybe he was practicing his post game celebration so, when we beat TEXASS he will have his act down. (being sarcastic here)

jman

December 23, 2009, 12:16:26 pm #34 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:19:19 pm by jman
I see both sides of the arguement.  For one game, I can accpet it.  If it happens again, I will not.   They say act like you've been there.....this raises a question......for Pel.....has he been there before last night?  Hes had a few big wins, last year over OU and Tex......but this is his first big win where his back has been against the wall and he had to come out swinging.....and the hogs KO'd a good team

thirtythree

CJP is not CBP. I don't expect someone to act like somebody else. They're two totally different people.

jman

Football very seldom hinges on last second heroics like basketball does either.  On a football saturday, you may have 5 games that someone wins in the final few seconds if that many.  In basketball, you have a whole slew of games that are decided in the last 5 seconds so emotions are on the edge much more in basketball than football.

hogfan446

Quote from: thirtythree on December 23, 2009, 12:18:56 pm
CJP is not CBP. I don't expect someone to act like somebody else. They're two totally different people.

I expect the coach to act like the coach, not an idiot ripping off the opposing players arms screaming F-Yeah to everyone on the court where he can be seen all over TV.  I don't care if he has been on the hot seat with the fans or has been struggling.  I think it lacks class.  If you want to be like that with your team behind closed doors, maybe that is one thing... but act like a professional when you are supposed to.  That is what Petrino does, hence my reason for the comparison.

hogfan446

Let me qualify my stance with the fact that I have been behind CJP during all of this. Even after everything, I have thought he would turn our beloved Hogs around.  Last time was the first time I have been disappointed with the way he has represented himself.

pick_DA_EAGLES

my god its not like he has done it after every game. it has happened once.

and sometimes that closed door stuff gets old.

i want to see some excitement.

hogfan446

I want to see some excitement as well, but that was a bit much for a coach.

Razorpigg

Quote from: hogfan446 on December 23, 2009, 12:29:04 pm
Let me qualify my stance with the fact that I have been behind CJP during all of this. Even after everything, I have thought he would turn our beloved Hogs around.  Last time was the first time I have been disappointed with the way he has represented himself.

Give me a f#*kin break lol

hogfan446

arcowboy

Classless is the word for the way he acted.   The young coach from Missouri state is very impressive , and did the best job of coaching last night.   Rodnei Clark is the guy that got it done for Arkansas and listening to him on the post game show he was very classy. 

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: Patrick on December 23, 2009, 12:54:39 pm
I am not lost on the point you are making, but our coach must look like he has been there before (even if he hasn't).  I reitterate, I've done many embarrassing things esp. when I've been drinking.  I hold him to a higher standard as the leader of our program.  I saw a lot to be positive about in that game, but the postgame reaction embarrassed me a little.  I'm not saying I don't understand why he had those emotions, but as a coach I feel he must display more clss when shaking the hands of the opposing players.  If Missouri State's coach had won and made that kind of display I would be angry b/c our players had just lost a hard fought contest and deserved better.

I don't know, I'd have to see it again. I would think he's saying good job or good game to all the opposing players, I'd be curious to know how the Mo. State players took it. It was kinda weird.

BigoBoys

It looked odd.  Not sure I have ever seen a coach go down the handshake line like that.  The last player gave him a look like WTH?

akahogfan

He said good game to all of the players. Though, if he had been saying F Yeah, I really wouldn't mind that much considering Miss St. played a dirty game nearly the entire night. I understand tugging on someone's jersey every once in a while, but the refs had no control of the game and the bears took advantage of that by playing cheep, dirty basketball.

fred ziffel

You obviously didn't hear what the Mo State coach was saying during the game. I did. Was sitting on [CENSORED] right almost behind him. Impressive??

Quote from: arcowboy on December 23, 2009, 12:52:24 pm
Classless is the word for the way he acted.   The young coach from Missouri state is very impressive , and did the best job of coaching last night.   Rodnei Clark is the guy that got it done for Arkansas and listening to him on the post game show he was very classy. 
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

chiefsfan

I cant believe people are bothered by this   Too much of Houston Nutt I guess
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ge-erdone

Quote from: football17 on December 23, 2009, 11:46:46 am

Yea, To be classy, you have to be a hyporcrite.

You must be a well heeled guy with few problems to worry about, if this was a problem to you.