Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why MA?

Started by Apathy, December 21, 2009, 05:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Apathy

Simple question.  Why Mike Anderson?  He is not Nolan reincarnate.  We would not get a bye into the Final Four if he was hired as our coach.

Missouri has already lost to Richmond, Vandy, and Oral Roberts this year and scraped past Old Dominion.  This in his FOURTH season at Mizzou.

I am a Pel fan but would understand if a change was made.  I just don't get the hero worship of Mike Anderson.

Danny J

Quote from: Apathy on December 21, 2009, 05:54:18 pm
Simple question.  Why Mike Anderson?  He is not Nolan reincarnate.  We would not get a bye into the Final Four if he was hired as our coach.

Missouri has already lost to Richmond, Vandy, and Oral Roberts this year and scraped past Old Dominion.  This in his FOURTH season at Mizzou.

I am a Pel fan but would understand if a change was made.  I just don't get the hero worship of Mike Anderson.
Its not necassarily the person but the style of ball that people want to return. We know for sure he recruits and plays the type of ball people long to return.

rude1

Where you watching at all last year when he went to the elite 8? Did you watch at all when he went to the sweet 16 while at UAB, knocking of the number 1 over all seed in KY along the way? It amazes me how you Pelphrey supporters continue to ask this question as though MA has accomplished nothing.

The Boar War

December 21, 2009, 06:47:18 pm #3 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:50:21 pm by The Boar War

I wouldn't say that Mike Anderson is a hero or the best basketball coach in America.  What he has done is turn around two programs and take them to the elite eight and the sweet sixteen.  He plays a style of ball that (no matter what this decade has tried to do) is still associated with Arkansas.  I think recruiting will start to pick up (and already has to some extent) with his success in the tournament. 

Sometimes you have to go back to your traditions.  Pelphrey can say he knows about the hogs throughout history.  And I'm sure he does but Mike helped make that history.

Oliver

A lot of people's answer would be because he plays the "exciting, fast tempo, 40 minutes of hell basketball."  I could care less about 40 minutes of hell.  I just want to win.  I don't care if it's with a 40 minutes of hell type basketball or a group of 5 guys that shoot granny style all game.

With as pathetic as our basketball program is right now, Mike Anderson would probably the only coach we could reasonably hire with a proven resume.  Couple that with the fact that no coach we've had here has ever gone as far in the NCAAT as Mike has already done with 2 programs since he's left...and I wouldn't mind having him coach here.

Porkem

Mike was an assistant coach here for 17 years.

He knows how to recruit and coach.

He's a class act and will return us to the 40 Minutes of Hell.

Pel stinks.  That's about as simple as I can get for you.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Biggus Piggus

It's a simple as

the last time Arkansas hired a men's basketball coach, the administration ******** it into an untouchable job.

A lot of folks believe Mike Anderson is the best Arkansas could do, and maybe they are feeling a mite sheepish for running him off.
[CENSORED]!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: rude1 on December 21, 2009, 06:43:37 pm
Where you watching at all last year when he went to the elite 8? Did you watch at all when he went to the sweet 16 while at UAB, knocking of the number 1 over all seed in KY along the way? It amazes me how you Pelphrey supporters continue to ask this question as though MA has accomplished nothing.

Not everyone who doesn't want MA is necessarily a Pelphrey guy, but I imagine you actually know that.  I'm not particularly a Pelphrey fan, but I have made no secret of the fact that I truly believe we can get a better coach than MA.  Maybe he recruits well now, but he didn't when he was in charge of recruiting during NR's last few years.  The bottom line is that with our facilities and the fan passion for winning BB, if we pay big time money we can hire a big time coach.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 21, 2009, 11:50:47 pm
Not everyone who doesn't want MA is necessarily a Pelphrey guy, but I imagine you actually know that.  I'm not particularly a Pelphrey fan, but I have made no secret of the fact that I truly believe we can get a better coach than MA.  Maybe he recruits well now, but he didn't when he was in charge of recruiting during NR's last few years.  The bottom line is that with our facilities and the fan passion for winning BB, if we pay big time money we can hire a big time coach.

It looks like that most likely Pelphrey won't get the job done.  I am not a Pelphrey guy either.  I remember the recruiting that Mike Anderson did during the last few Seasons of the Nolan Era.  Mike Anderson's recruiting landed players such as Eddins, Satchell, and Gomez.  That is not good recruiting.  Additionally, Mike Anderson and or Nolan wouldn't go down the street to Fayetteville High School and properly recruit Ronnie Brewer.  It was common knowledge that the UofA was in serious jeopardy of not getting Ronnie Brewer.  Stan Heath had to do some serious recruiting work to get Ronnie Brewer to the UofA.  Ronnie Brewer was one of the best Razorback players of all time.  Thankfully, through Stan Heath's hard recruiting work in regards to Ronnie Brewer, Heath was able to get Ronnie Brewer to the UofA.  It would have been a shame for Hog Fans to have not got the opportunity to watch Ronnie Brewer in a Razorback Uniform due to the poor recruiting of Ronnie Brewer by Mike Anderson and Nolan Richardson.           

Temprees

Florida has lost to Richmond also this year.  Donovan has won two National Championships at Florida.  Anderson took Missouri to the Elite 8 last year, and took UAB to the Sweet 16 also.  Anderson is a good coach.  It is not hero worship.  Its just that Anderson has accomplished a whole lot more than our last two head coach hires (Heath and Pelphrey).  Anderson was a coach that Arkansas could have hired, so maybe that is what has people saying, what if? 

Temprees

Who?

Kevin

remember, 40 minutes of hell, does not rebound well, gives up open three's
it brings the same problems we have now
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Apathy

Some really good answers ......

The Boar War

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2009, 08:17:50 am

Yeah.  Those were terrible times.

Kevin

just stating, many people complain about those factors now, they would not change
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

mike1829

Didn't mike Anderson just sign a top 10 recruiting class for 2010? That's a long way away from eddins, and gomez.

DoubleJ

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2009, 08:35:07 am
just stating, many people complain about those factors now, they would not change

People complain because of losing.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Temprees on December 22, 2009, 12:57:19 am
Who?

I don't know, but then no one else does either at this point.  MA is not even a certain thing for that matter.  We probably couldn't get Phil Jackson, K, or Roy Williams.  If that makes you feel better, then great.  As I have told you before, unless someone is an agent they don't have a clue who is available.  I just honestly believe that if enough money and years are offered, we can in fact get someone who has accomplished more than MA.

Kevin

they complained about nolan's team plenty, even though they were winning

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: mike1829 on December 22, 2009, 08:57:24 am
Didn't mike Anderson just sign a top 10 recruiting class for 2010? That's a long way away from eddins, and gomez.

Didn't JP sign a class that was very highly regarded a year or so back?  The proof is always in the performance later on.  What we do know is that MA did in fact deliver Eddins, Gomez, Satchell, etc. when he was responsible for recruiting for the Hogs.  He also was NOT going to land Ronnie Brewer.

rude1

Define Big Time Coach? We don't have KY money to throw at basketball coaches because of the money being spent of football. So when people say we can do better than MA, I would like to know who you think you can go get away from the top basketball programs to fill that definition of Big Time Coach? 

We have always did it with mid-major guys and unless its MA, it will probably be  another mid-major guy. Which I have no problem with, as long as we find one who has been consistently good on that level, unlike this Pelphrey guy.

rwspear

There's about three people on this board who know what they're talking about. One of them convincingly said Mike Anderson. A couple people listened, thought it sounded nice, and ran with it. Now every Joe Schmoe around here swears that they have it from the highest authority that Pel is horrible and Mike Anderson is our savior.

Most of the ppl here have already opened their Christmas presents bc they don't have the patience to wait for the 25th.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: rude1 on December 22, 2009, 10:59:59 am
Define Big Time Coach? We don't have KY money to throw at basketball coaches because of the money being spent of football. So when people say we can do better than MA, I would like to know who you think you can go get away from the top basketball programs to fill that definition of Big Time Coach? 

We have always did it with mid-major guys and unless its MA, it will probably be  another mid-major guy. Which I have no problem with, as long as we find one who has been consistently good on that level, unlike this Pelphrey guy.

Mid-major guys lately:  Nutt, Heath, Pelphrey, the guy that replaced McDonnell.  Ugh!

The key is for Jeff Long to line up some big money donors who are willing to help land a new coach.  If Pelphrey stays, I will support Hog BB, if Pelphrey gets fired and MA is hired, I will support Hog BB.  If Pelphrey gets fired and someone from a mid-major gets hired, I will still support Hog BB. 

I just want Long to explore every possible avenue to get us the best coach we can.  If money donors can't be found, then Long needs to call JFB and get some help.

mbgrulz

A mid major hire would be a disappointment.

Too much of a bad taste in the mouth with mid major guys right now.

IMO, The PTB will have failed us if they don't hit a grand slam with the next bb coaching hire.

It needs to be a high profile, big money, showtime hire.

We aren't' relevant anymore, and hiring a guy who needs 5 years to get things fixed won't cut it.

Temprees

You forgot to add that it took us to 3 Final Fours, Two NCAA Finals, One National Championship, and countless Sweet 16s.  Its also taken UAB to a Sweet 16, and Missouri to an Elite 8.  It also took Tulsa to an NIT title, and Western Texas Junior College to a National Championship.

rwspear

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 22, 2009, 03:03:19 pm
A mid major hire would be a disappointment.

Too much of a bad taste in the mouth with mid major guys right now.

IMO, The PTB will have failed us if they don't hit a grand slam with the next bb coaching hire.

It needs to be a high profile, big money, showtime hire.

We aren't' relevant anymore, and hiring a guy who needs 5 years to get things fixed won't cut it.

Please explain how plan to accomplish this, and please explain to me why you think Coach K himself could turn Arkansas into a final four team in the next five years? You don't go from a bottom feeder to an elite overnight. You don't go from a bottom feeder to an elite in five years.

Temprees

December 22, 2009, 03:22:41 pm #26 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:27:40 pm by Temprees
You forgot to add that it took us to 3 Final Fours, Two NCAA Finals, One National Championship, and countless Sweet 16s.  Its also taken UAB to a Sweet 16, and Missouri to an Elite 8.  It also took Tulsa to an NIT title, and Western Texas Junior College to a National Championship.
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 22, 2009, 10:51:15 am
Didn't JP sign a class that was very highly regarded a year or so back?  The proof is always in the performance later on.  What we do know is that MA did in fact deliver Eddins, Gomez, Satchell, etc. when he was responsible for recruiting for the Hogs.  He also was NOT going to land Ronnie Brewer.
We also know that since Mike Anderson left Arkansas, he has coached UAB to the Sweet 16, and Missouri to the Elite 8, and revived two failing basketball programs.  By the way, in the early signing period, Anderson signed a 4 star and a 5 star player.

We boast too much about Ronnie Brewer.  Nolan had Andre Igoudala signed with the Hogs.  Igoudala was a better college player than Ronnie Brewer, and also is a better professional than Ronnie.  We never won a NCAA tournament game with Ronnie.  Ronnie is and was a good basketball player, but by no means was he a savior of the Arkansas basketball program.

The Boar War

Quote from: rwspear on December 22, 2009, 03:19:51 pm
Please explain how plan to accomplish this, and please explain to me why you think Coach K himself could turn Arkansas into a final four team in the next five years? You don't go from a bottom feeder to an elite overnight. You don't go from a bottom feeder to an elite in five years.

If you don't think Coach K could turn Arkansas into a basketball powerhouse in five years you don't know much about college basketball.

GuvHog

Quote from: Temprees on December 22, 2009, 03:11:49 pm

....And you forgot to mention that once the NCAA changed the rules, Nolan fell flat on his
face. Anderson has only had 1 sweet 16 team and 1 elite 8 team? That's quite a fall from
3 final four teams.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rwspear

Quote from: The Boar War on December 22, 2009, 03:23:20 pm
If you don't think Coach K could turn Arkansas into a basketball powerhouse in five years you don't know much about college basketball.

Funny, I could say the same about you.

The Boar War

Quote from: rwspear on December 22, 2009, 03:39:17 pm
Funny, I could say the same about you.

Players follow proven winning coaches.  I'm sure if Krzyzewski was here for five years he could bring some elite talent with him.  The college game is based on talent more than anything.  If he couldn't get it done who could?

rwspear

Quote from: The Boar War on December 22, 2009, 03:42:06 pm
Players follow proven winning coaches.  I'm sure if Krzyzewski was here for five years he could bring some elite talent with him.  The college game is based on talent more than anything.  If he couldn't get it done who could?

You missed my point. He could get it done, but not in five years. Sure, we'd be a better team, but it would take time to build an elite program.

This whole discussion is moot because what Hog fans don't realize is that we're not going to be able to go out and buy the Roy Williams, or the Bill Self, or the Coach K. We're going to have to rely on a certain amount of luck in our coaching selection, because the coach will be an up-and-comer, not a currently renowned Final Four caliber juggernaut.

The Boar War

December 22, 2009, 03:56:17 pm #32 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:57:54 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: rwspear on December 22, 2009, 03:49:52 pm
You missed my point. He could get it done, but not in five years. Sure, we'd be a better team, but it would take time to build an elite program.

This whole discussion is moot because what Hog fans don't realize is that we're not going to be able to go out and buy the Roy Williams, or the Bill Self, or the Coach K. We're going to have to rely on a certain amount of luck in our coaching selection, because the coach will be an up-and-comer, not a currently renowned Final Four caliber juggernaut.

I agree.  We're not going to be able to go out and get a Krzyzewski, Williams, Calapari, Calhoun, Wright, or Self. 

However if we were able to get one (and I know we can't) I think they would be able to turn it around within five years.  They may not have built an "elite program" (which is where I misunderstood you) but you could definitly tell which way it was headed. 

I agree that two and a half years is a little early to judge Pelphrey's ability.  I think a lot more people could understand that if we hadn't tanked last season and started slow this one.  But by the time four years comes around you should be able to see an improvement if there's goign to be one.

Temprees

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 22, 2009, 03:27:00 pm
....And you forgot to mention that once the NCAA changed the rules, Nolan fell flat on his
face. Anderson has only had 1 sweet 16 team and 1 elite 8 team? That's quite a fall from
3 final four teams.
The rule change did not affect Nolan's teams.  The rule changed after the 1994 championship.  The next year, with the new hand-check rule, we went back to the Final game.  And but for one or Thurman's worst shooting games, would have won back to back championships.

There were more dynamics at play than a rule change.  There was a self-imposed (Broyles) ban on recruiting junior college players.  There was a unmerited NCAA investigation.  Nolan had restocked after 1995 with Sunday Adebayo, Jesse Pate and others, mostly Jucos.

Anderson had two Sweet 16 teams, and one Elite 8 team.  The Elite 8 team was also a Sweet 16 team.  Since Nolan and Anderson left, Arkansas has won "1" NCAA tournament game, and that occurred with a team that Heath put together. 

rwspear

Quote from: The Boar War on December 22, 2009, 03:56:17 pm
I agree that two and a half years is a little early to judge Pelphrey's ability.  I think a lot more people could understand that if we hadn't tanked last season and started slow this one.  But by the time four years comes around you should be able to see an improvement if there's goign to be one.

It will be time to start asking questions after this season, and definitely time to start making decisions after his fourth. If Pel's succes just isn't in the cards, then everyone should certainly understand, but at the same time realize that we will have the same chance of success with the next coach as we did with Pel and Heath.

GuvHog

December 22, 2009, 04:18:10 pm #35 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:20:52 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: Temprees on December 22, 2009, 03:58:15 pm
The rule change did not affect Nolan's teams.  The rule changed after the 1994 championship.  The next year, with the new hand-check rule, we went back to the Final game.  And but for one or Thurman's worst shooting games, would have won back to back championships.

There were more dynamics at play than a rule change.  There was a self-imposed (Broyles) ban on recruiting junior college players.  There was a unmerited NCAA investigation.  Nolan had restocked after 1995 with Sunday Adebayo, Jesse Pate and others, mostly Jucos.

Anderson had two Sweet 16 teams, and one Elite 8 team.  The Elite 8 team was also a Sweet 16 team.  Since Nolan and Anderson left, Arkansas has won "1" NCAA tournament game, and that occurred with a team that Heath put together. 

Nice try but anyone who followed Hog basketball will tell you that once the rules
were changed, Nolan's defenses were never the same (if they're being
honest). Although his Hog teams still played pretty good defense, they were
never as ferocious after the rule change. Watch Anderson's MIZZOU defense
and you'll see there are similarities with the pressing and double teaming, but
the ferociousness that Nolan's defenses had at Arkansas in 1994 and before is
not there because of the hand checking rules.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mbgrulz

December 22, 2009, 05:56:09 pm #36 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:58:30 pm by mbgrulz
Quote from: rwspear on December 22, 2009, 03:19:51 pm
How do you get a big time coach to come to fayetteville?

Easy: Give them money and power...and a practice facility wouldn't hurt.

Ingredients for a great football team (besides great coaching staff): 3 deep at 22 positions and special teams.

Ingredients for a great basketball team (minus great coach): 1 super star and 1 or 2 other really good players. The other guys just need to fit the system in some way.

See the difference? We're not asking him to build an empire, just a competitive basketball team. Nowhere did I talk about being elite.  Maybe its not reasonable to be elite in 5 years, but it is CRAZY to not even be competitive.

Great coaches put their stamp on a program almost immediately. We should see SOMETHING that you can say "Wow, Pel really does a nice job with that aspect of the game."

I see NONE of that. We don't execute any kind of offense, we can't guard our shadows, we don't play especially hard. We talk about up-tempo, but its all talk.

We should see some sign of Pel's imprint on the team.

Temprees

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 22, 2009, 04:18:10 pm
Nice try but anyone who followed Hog basketball will tell you that once the rules
were changed, Nolan's defenses were never the same (if they're being
honest). Although his Hog teams still played pretty good defense, they were
never as ferocious after the rule change. Watch Anderson's MIZZOU defense
and you'll see there are similarities with the pressing and double teaming, but
the ferociousness that Nolan's defenses had at Arkansas in 1994 and before is
not there because of the hand checking rules.
Your original post stated that "once the NCAA changed the rules, Nolan fell flat on his face." I pointed our that the rule changed after the 1994 Championship, and the team went back to the final game the very next year (with the new hand-checking rule).  But for Thurman having one of his worst shooting game, we win back-to-back championsh.  I wouldn't call that "falling flat on his face".

Now you are stating the Nolan's teams "still played pretty good defense" after the rule change, but "they were not as ferocious".  Nolan has often said that Corey Beck and Clint McDaniel were the best pair of defensive guards that he has ever seen.  They always wanted to defend the other teams best scorer (guard). 

nughaud

Quote from: Oliver Miller on December 21, 2009, 06:53:44 pm
A lot of people's answer would be because he plays the "exciting, fast tempo, 40 minutes of hell basketball."  I could care less about 40 minutes of hell.  I just want to win.  I don't care if it's with a 40 minutes of hell type basketball or a group of 5 guys that shoot granny style all game.

Are you kidding me? If I wanted to watch Princeton play I sure as hell wouldn't be watching much basketball.  It's not simply about winning, but it's winning with style, finesse, speed and excitement. It's also about pleasing the donors.  I would not watch Arkansas play if we continued down the previous coach's path of slow tempo ball that was boring and snoozing.  The next time I wanna see granny shooting I'll turn on an Ivy League game and you should too it seems.

JONAS

If we fire Pel, we better hire a proven winner.  We can not afford to take any more chances on an up and comer.  That might set us so far back that we cannot ever recover.  I like Mike Anderson and appreciate the time he was an assistant here, but I do not know if he is the right man for the job.  Whoever needs to be able to recruit and get top quality talent.

mbgrulz

Quote from: nughaud on December 22, 2009, 09:25:45 pm
Are you kidding me? If I wanted to watch Princeton play I sure as hell wouldn't be watching much basketball.  It's not simply about winning, but it's winning with style, finesse, speed and excitement. It's also about pleasing the donors.  I would not watch Arkansas play if we continued down the previous coach's path of slow tempo ball that was boring and snoozing.  The next time I wanna see granny shooting I'll turn on an Ivy League game and you should too it seems.
This is either sarcasm or a really stupid post.

Who cares how we win?

Real basketball fans appreciate all styles of play. There is beauty in all styles of play as long as the team executes their stuff better than their opponents.

Stan Heath was fired because he wasn't winning. He went 6-10, 10-6, & 7-9 his last 3 years in the SEC. That's why the fans left. BECAUSE WE WEREN'T WINNING!!! We were average, and Arkansas basketball is not average. You won't last as a coach here if you are average.

HogSophist

Quote from: The Boar War on December 22, 2009, 03:56:17 pm
I agree.  We're not going to be able to go out and get a Krzyzewski, Williams, Calapari, Calhoun, Wright, or Self. 

However if we were able to get one (and I know we can't) I think they would be able to turn it around within five years.  They may not have built an "elite program" (which is where I misunderstood you) but you could definitly tell which way it was headed. 

Just for s's and g's, what did those in bold do before they built programs up? What were their early years like, how long did it take, etc....?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: Temprees on December 22, 2009, 06:39:15 pm
Your original post stated that "once the NCAA changed the rules, Nolan fell flat on his face." I pointed our that the rule changed after the 1994 Championship, and the team went back to the final game the very next year (with the new hand-checking rule).  But for Thurman having one of his worst shooting game, we win back-to-back championsh.  I wouldn't call that "falling flat on his face".

Now you are stating the Nolan's teams "still played pretty good defense" after the rule change, but "they were not as ferocious".  Nolan has often said that Corey Beck and Clint McDaniel were the best pair of defensive guards that he has ever seen.  They always wanted to defend the other teams best scorer (guard). 

If not for a couple bad things, we go back to back.

I rarely agree w/ guv, but if you go back and watch films of those teams, i dont think it can be replicated on a regular basis. The games seem to get called much tighter than they did back then.

However, thats just my observation, I may be way off base.

I cant figure out for the life of me why all the Mike Anderson love. It was awesome to be one of the folks that gave him a standing O upon his return to BWA, but why we are lazer beamed focused is beyond me, other than its a connection to fond memories.

Still curious as to the other 'names' and how long it took them. Hell, nolan got booed off the court and had his damn horse shot. Many tried like hell to run him off. You know who you are too.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

hawgsav1

December 24, 2009, 07:57:40 pm #43 Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:00:15 pm by hawgsav1
Honestly, we as fans need closure to the Nolan Richardson saga.  Most fans realized that Nolan was right when he said that other coaches were treated differently during the Houston Nutt era, and want to make up for what happened somehow.  Hiring Mike Anderson would go a long way towards repairing Razorback basketball in our minds. 

I grew up during Nolan's peak, and I was EXTREMELY loyal to him and MA, almost as loyal to him as I was to Razorback basketball.  Someone once asked me if I would I pick Mike Anderson to coach the Hogs over any other coach in America.  I hesitated, but answered yes.  I want some kind of continuation of Nolan's legacy, and MA is a great coach with a proven record AND has the necessary ties to Arkansas.  There has been far too much tarnish placed on Nolan's legacy.  Yeah we weren't as great as we were during Nolan's early years, but our record during Nolan's last 4 years was similar to what Jim Boeheim went through at Syracuse for many years before Carmelo Anthony and co. came through. 

I will also say that while I would really like MA to take over IF Pelphrey falls on his face, I will support anyone who is the coach of the Hogs, and if Pelphrey shows that he's doing a good job, I'll support him.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb