Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V-Tulsa, Bud Walton Arena, Sunday 2:pm

Started by flippinhogmana, December 08, 2017, 11:17:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Despite its 4-5 record Tulsa is a capable team.  Like Charlotte they have four players in double figures scoring.  Two of the 6-2 players average 10 ppg (Elliott and Polk).  Unlike Charlotte they dont have a 6-4 girl.

It should be a good game, not a walkover - although I do expect the hogs to win (I thought we would win against Charlotte even though it proved to be a real contest).  I hope Taylah Thomas regains some of the form and production that she hasn't had the last couple of games.  She is a freshman and sometimes freshmen have ups and downs.  I hope Macy Weaver gets in and continues to show improvement as well. 

I except J. Mason to continue the improvement and flow in the system that she has had in the last three games or so.  Hopefully the ladies will shoot a little better this game than last too!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jackflash

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: jackflash on December 08, 2017, 01:05:31 pm
Weaver to me is the key this year
She was part of the key in the Charlotte game as it changed the offense of Charlotte when she was in the game.  When the 6' 4" post player for Charlotte got into foul trouble and another of the bigs did also, we were able to go back to Williams and she took over the game and was the catalyst down the stretch.  The bigs for Charlotte returned, but one fouled out quickly.  I hope Weaver continues to improve, but we will not have much of a chance against any good SEC team this year that has one or two good big players - that is just a fact.  We will have to win against the less talented lineups or the one's with height more like ours.  Last night Charlotte was using 6' 2" and 6' 3" players posting up on 5' 10" Devin - not too difficult to imagine that will not work in Arkansas's favor in the SEC.  With the current roster and what we have coming next year, we will need Thomas to be able to play the 4, Williams to continue to improve, and Weaver to become an effective post player no matter who we are playing.

flippinhogmana

December 08, 2017, 01:37:49 pm #3 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:49:37 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 08, 2017, 01:14:20 pm
  She was part of the key in the Charlotte game as it changed the offense of Charlotte when she was in the game.  When the 6' 4" post player for Charlotte got into foul trouble and another of the bigs did also, we were able to go back to Williams and she took over the game and was the catalyst down the stretch.  The bigs for Charlotte returned, but one fouled out quickly.  I hope Weaver continues to improve, but we will not have much of a chance against any good SEC team this year that has one or two good big players - that is just a fact.  We will have to win against the less talented lineups or the one's with height more like ours.  Last night Charlotte was using 6' 2" and 6' 3" players posting up on 5' 10" Devin - not too difficult to imagine that will not work in Arkansas's favor in the SEC.  With the current roster and what we have coming next year, we will need Thomas to be able to play the 4, Williams to continue to improve, and Weaver to become an effective post player no matter who we are playing.

I agree that Williams was as much or more of a catalyst as was Devin Cosper.  Eight offensive rebounds (plus two for Weaver and three for Cosper) will help a lot in that regards.  In the first half it was Charlotte getting all the offensive rebounds - primarily in the first quarter.  seven of Williams offensive rebounds came in the third quarter, seven of the eight in the second half.  The hogs actually out rebounded Charlotte in the second half, mainly with Williams and Cosper doing the work.  Kiara needs to greatly increase her effectiveness at the line however, 3-11 isnt going to cut it.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

one more thing - for me, if not for anyone else - there is such a difference in discussing women's basketball.  For the last three years I had to bite my tongue and hope for the best, even if I could see it wasn't coming.  What I see happening and coming is so much different, even I think at least rivaling if not some day exceeding the Gary Blair days of so long ago.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 08, 2017, 01:58:50 pm
one more thing - for me, if not for anyone else - there is such a difference in discussing women's basketball.  For the last three years I had to bite my tongue and hope for the best, even if I could see it wasn't coming.  What I see happening and coming is so much different, even I think at least rivaling if not some day exceeding the Gary Blair days of so long ago.
I would be disappointed if we did not exceed the Gary Blair days.  We only exceeded .500 in conference play two times under Gary and generally finished 7- 10th in conference games - although we had some exciting and interesting players.  My point is based upon the fact that I think MN has a much better personality and will be able to recruit better.  Not having Pat Summit in the conference will also help.  I expect Vic Schafer to return to Texas A & M after his daughter graduates and Gary retires which I predict will be in the next 2-3 years.

flippinhogmana

that is my hope as well, BUT, even equaling them will exceed the last ten years

LadybackBBFan

My comment on Vic is based upon the fact that he is from Texas and a Texas A&M graduate.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 09, 2017, 08:17:02 am
My comment on Vic is based upon the fact that he is from Texas and a Texas A&M graduate.

I understood it that way as well.

flippinhogmana

i will be bringing you updates on the game.  If you have the sec network on your cable you can access it by going to the university schedule site and clicking on secn in the womens basketball schedule and see it live.

flippinhogmana

the starting lineup looks to be, and is the same.

flippinhogmana

Williams wins the tip but tips it to Tulsa
looks like hogs open in a zone, mason get the miss
williams puts up a wild running shot
and tulsa gets an inside buck 2-0
another miss inside, still 2-00 at *:33 first quarter and tulsa shoots an airball

flippinhogmana

mason shoots and hits a three off a feed from Williams 3-2 hogs
travel called on the hurricane
foul on tulsa, non shooting
cosper called for a travel, 3-2 hogs at 7:07
and another turnover on tulsa

flippinhogmana

Cosper misses but williams with an offensive board and put back 5-2 hogs

flippinhogmana

tulsa answers with a two 5-4
monk drives puts up a shot and draws a fould but they call it non shooting
but williams is foul on a shot and hits the first, misses the second cosper gets the offensive board,
mason misses a short jumper and williams gets the offensive rebound and misses
on the other end, williams picks up a fould (first) tulsa hits one of two, 6-5 hogs, and cosper scores inside, 8-5 hogs at 5:00 left first quarter and tulsa picks up a turnover on a clear out.  media time out 8-5 hogs

flippinhogmana

coming back on the court, cosper gets the double bounce to go for a three, tulsa scores on the other end, and then cosper gets a drive on the other end devin has seven now, tulsa scores a muscle shot inside, and a ft, 13-10 hogs

flippinhogmana

offensive foul and turnover on monk
3:27 to go, swinson in the game gets the rebound off the tulsa miss
foul (non shooting on tulsa) but tulsa is over the limit so hogs will shoot, misses (NCB) misses both
tulsa scores inside, 13-12 hogs, and they turn it over
swinson with a rebound, monk shoots and misses but taylah thomas gets the board and is fouled, hits the first
and misses the second, 14-12 hogs at 1:47 left

flippinhogmana

tulsa misses NCB gets the board and monk scores inside on the other end, 16-12 hogs
Tulsa misses inside monk drives and scores but is fouled on the floor and they dont give her the bucket, hits the first ft though, and (:50 sec left) hits the second hogs lead 18-12

flippinhogmana

tulsa misses and zimmer rebounds, zimmer good contact, hits the shot, and will go to the line, she hits the ft, and its 21-12 at the end of the 1st quarter.  Cosper has 7, Monk 4, Zimmer, Williams and Mason three, Thomas one.  Williams has two offensive boards, Swinson and Zimmermann one each.

flippinhogmana

second quarter - Monk misses a three but zimmer gets her second off board and is fouled, misses the first hits the second, 22-12
tulsa is fouled on the drive by monk
hits the first, and the second, 22-14cosper misses the three but williams gets the board and mason misses a contested jumper in the paint.  22-12 at 8:36
williams misses the second, cosper the board of the tulsa miss, williams is fouled at the other end, misses the first, and the second but cosper gets the bucket inside (9pts) and hogs lead 24-14 by ten again.

flippinhogmana

tulsa misses the 3 but gets the board and stick back 24-16, cosper with another board (def) and williams scores on the other end and cosper gets her fifth board on the other end.  Cosper takes a charge on the other end (after a Mason miss).  26-16 at 6:00 in the half .  zimmer puts up a wild shot.

flippinhogmana

tulsa hits a three
monk answers, 29-19 at 5:02

flippinhogmana

Williams blocks on one end and then hits the running layup on the other  31-19 and mason feeds Williams (on then next trip down the floor) who scores again inside.  33-13 hogs 4:16 to play

flippinhogmana

williams with nine and cosper with nine, monk with seven,  Williams is however only 1-4 at the line.  Cosper with six boards, (two offensive) and williams with four,( three of them offensive).

flippinhogmana

tulsa scores inside (tulsa post sealed off Cosper) Thomas misses inside for the hogs and tulsa hits a three on the other end, 33-24 hogs, cosper misses from the top of the key,
tulsa misses a three but get the board,
ball goes out of bounds, but off the hogs and then get another offensive board (three so far) then the short rim a shot and Swinson misses a three
33-24 hogs with 1:28 to go

flippinhogmana

tulsa misses inside cosper misses the three but Swinson with the off board and put back - 35-24,
Tulsa with a shot clock violati
Swinson with the three miss, but thomas with the off board, and foul, but not shooting
cosper misses at the buzzer.  35-24 at the half

flippinhogmana

cosper and williams with nine
monk with seven
zimmer with four
swenson with two
and thomas with one

boards, cosper wit seven (like last game at the half)
williams with four still, but so does swenson, thomas and zimmer

flippinhogmana

turnovers:  monk and cosper have two
no one is credited with a steal
blocks:  williams has two, and cosper and swenson one each

flippinhogmana

on shooting - cosper 4-10, 1-5 3s, 0-0 ft
Monk- 25, 1-2 3s, 2-2 ft
williams 4-6, 1-4 fts
zimmer 1-3, 0-1 3s, 2-3 fts
mason 1-5, 1-2 3s,
swenson 1-4, 0-3 3s
thomas 0-1, 1-2 fts
NCB, 0-2 fts

fouls, monk with two, williams, NCB with one

hawgwatcher

We look good in transition. Our half court offense needs some work. Williams looked very capable of running the floor and scoring. She was gassed but looked great. We have to do better rebounding. Too many offensive rebounds by Tulsa. Overall fun to watch!
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

flippinhogmana

seocnd half underway, tulsa shotts misses zimmerman the board, willimas misses inside, get the off board and misses again
Monk shkes and backs for a layup on the other end, 37-24 hogs, tulsa misses on the other end but gets the board and stick back, 37-26, monk feeds williams inside on the other end, 39-26
tulsa misses but gets the off board, scores inside on cosper and devin picks up the foul, misses the ft
zimmer with the board, cosper misses the three, 39-28 with 7:00 to go
tulsa turns it over

flippinhogmana

williams with another bucket inside on a feed from monk I believe 41-28
tulsa with a turnover (monk steal) monk drives and is fouled on the drive missed the shot but they give her the shooting foul, hits the first, and the second 43-28, hogs biggest lead

flippinhogmana

tulsa mission Mason redound but a hogs turnover and a cosper rebound and she goes coast to coast 45-28
tulsa scores on the other end to cut it to 35-30 cosper misses and then tulsa misses on the other end, williams with the board.  Cosper drives and a media time out hogs, 45-30, cosper with 11, and monk too, Williams with 13. 4:15 to go in the 3rd

flippinhogmana

cosper was fouled on the driver, not sure if she gets fts or not.  Apparently not
NCB and Swenson in
miss inside, didn see by who
tulsa misses monk with the board cosper drives scores and one to come, refs wave off the basket and call it an off foul
refs with a second blown call on the other end - should ahve een a foul on tulsa, instead they go to the line and hit one of two, monk with the board and the push, thomas with an off board off a NCB miss, cosper misess but NCB runs it down for the off board.  Monk hits the three, 48-31 1:59 to go

flippinhogmana

Taylah thomas with the steal and then cosper with a miss and then a boad on the other end for a double double (her tenth board)
Swenson misses a three, Thomas is fouled but nothing called, quarter ends with a monk drive and miss, offensive board by her  but doesnt have time to put it back up, still all hogs, 48-31, monk high scorer now with 14, Williams 13, cosper (with one bucket and ft stolen from her) 11

flippinhogmana

Ncb with the three misses tulsa misses on the other end, swenson with the board, mason with the two pointer for the hogs, 50-31
tulsa misses NCB with the baord pushes to swenson, hits the three, hogs 53-31 up by 22 with 8:23 to go

flippinhogmana

swenson and mason both now with five, and five and four boards respectively
zimmer now with six boards
cosper and monk on the bench for one of the few times together at least, this year

hawgwatcher

The development of players from last yr is night n day. This is gonna be fun to watch.
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

flippinhogmana

7:56 to go in the game
tulsa scores easy inside out of the inounds, mason with a bucket from the ft line, now with seven 55-33 hogs
zimmer with a wlld shot off an offensive board but gets it to go, taylah thomas with a three, 60-33

flippinhogmana

true, a coach who believes in his players is a refreshing touch, Weaver checks in
tulsa scores two at the line, 60-35
mason hits a runner, 62-35
tulsa misses weaver with the rebound
swenson shoots fouled hits the first, and the second, hogs 64-35

flippinhogmana

weaver ties tulsa up inside, tulsa keeps the ball
zimmermann misses a three, weaver almost gets the off rebound but its tied up, goes ball
hogs inbound media time out 64-35 hogs,

flippinhogmana

NCB, Swenson, Mason, Zimmer and Weaver in the game now
Mason up to nine pts,
swenson with seven

flippinhogmana

NCB has quietly gotten 8 boards
cosper and monk may not be back but cospe with the double double 11 pts, 11 boards
4:53 to go
Weaver needs to fight for position better shot clock violation
tulsa misses, ball goes in to weaver one the other end and back out
tulsa missees and Mason gets into double figurees Swenson with another board and tulsa takes a to
Stout into the game, swenson misses a three waver tips a thot inside on defesnse
tulsa just isnt hitting anything right now, and spangler comes in (as does thomas and weaver and mason go out)

flippinhogmana

two minutes to go, NCB is fouled an will go to the line, 66-37, NCB hits the first to get into the scoring column, Weaver comes back in, and
gets the off board, is tied up, belongs to tulsa
tulsa gets the bucket inside,
NCB turns it over, 66-41, Weaver still needs to fight to get open, but she gets the ball and puts up a shot, she needs to be more aggressive though
Spangler with a board
and the hogs run out the clock

flippinhogmana

hogs 7-3 and the reserves got some playing time, good game

flippinhogmana

four in double figures lead by monk with 14, williams with 12, mason and cosper with 11,  swenson with 7, zimmer with six, thomas with four, and NCB with one

flippinhogmana

rebounds coper with 11, NCB with 9, Williams 7, and Thomas 7, Swenson 6, mason five, monk 4, weaver 1, spangler 1, and stout with one

flippinhogmana

hogs with 19 offensive rebounds, thomas and williams four each, cosper, zimmer, NCB, and swenson with two each, monk with one, weaver got one two but isnt credited with it (maybe because she was tied up)

flippinhogmana

you wont see this many times this year, hogs out rebound them 61-39

LadybackBBFan

Lots of effort on the boards by everyone.  Still terrible shooting from both the free throw line and 3 pt. line.  Have to improve or will be a long season.