Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You know what I think is Pathetic?

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, August 16, 2010, 11:04:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 18, 2010, 03:34:10 pm
So just to compare the UofA to the rest of the SEC here is a list of all SEC schools color analysts and whether or not they are Alums.

You have to admit whether we like the school or not most SEC schools are very successful at making money off their athletic programs, building support, connecting to the fan base, etc and so forth.  So I'm sure they put just as much thought if not more into choosing their broadcast teams as we do.

So how do we compare.  Let's see

Team          Analyst                Alum
LSU            Doug Moreau         Yes
Alabama      Barry Krauss          Yes
Auburn        Stan White           Yes
Ole Miss      Harry Harrison        Yes
MSU           Jim Ellis                 Yes
Florida        Lee McGriff            Yes
Georgia       Eric Zeier              Yes
Kentucky    Jeff Piecoro            Yes
Tennessee  Tim Priest              Yes
South C.     Tommy Suggs        Yes
Vandy        John Gromos          Yes
Arkansas    Keith Jackson         No

I'm wondering how these 11 schools were lucky enough to find someone that had played football at their University that could handle the rigors of Color Analysis for football games. 

I've always been on the fence with Keef. This post has opened my eyes. I'm not saying "fire him" or anything but it sure raises lots of questions about the hirers and firers from that era. Lets see, who would that have been. Cause you know the hiring and firing all came from a complex on campus regardless of who ran the station.

GuvHog

With the exception of Barry Switzer, I don't believe the U of A has had any former players in that roll. For many years prior to Keith, Rick Schaefer was the color commentator and since he and Chuck are such close friends it seems likely that he would return to that roll if Keith were to step down seeing as he's already in the booth with them. Would you rather have Schaefer??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 18, 2010, 02:15:29 pm
Dam Straight!  I get a chill every time I step foot on the UofA campus.  The friends I had and made in college are like my brothers  We still tell the same tired old stories and still try to party like it's 1992 when we get together, and it's that common bond that holds us together.  UofA is a damn special place.  I don't get those chills when I step foot on a golf course.
Nice subtle jab on the golf course thing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 18, 2010, 02:30:22 pm
Somebody put it best on this board that they get goosebumps everytime they come over that last hill on 540 (going north) before the Razorback Road exit when they see that panoramic view of the campus.  I still get chills when I see that sight. 
The first time I saw it after they finished building 540 I had tears welling up in my eyes!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 18, 2010, 01:12:45 pm
After Keith Jr. was accused of supporting Hooty and Ole Miss over Arkansas, he did an interview with the Democrat Gazette and made it very clear his loyalties lie with the Hogs. I have no link to that interview but I did read it.
Strange how similar that is to a certain former female radio personality.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: DoubleJ on August 17, 2010, 12:54:27 pm
I get what you're saying.  It's just not that big of a deal to me because I think KJ does a great job.  First and foremost, I want the Razorback color analyst guy to be the best/most qualified.  If that means an OU grad is going to be better than a Hog grad, then so be it.  Plus, you can't tell me that KJ doesn't love Razorback football. 

He didn't love Razorback football when it was crunch time, it was personal, and he chose Blowu!  If he left ARSN tomorrow, I'd have a freaking party!
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: hoglady on August 18, 2010, 12:55:27 am
Actually, is after a fairly successful NFL career they came back to Arkansas and poured their money, heart and soul into helping the at risk kids in this state - I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

This is the problem with half our fan base.  They reward kids who want to see us fail and turned down opportunities to be a hog.  I'll never forget Jackson running his mouth in overdrive before and after the 87 Orange Bowl. 

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: hoglady on August 18, 2010, 01:21:40 am
If you wanted to play in the NFL one day which team would you play for???
The one you thought was going to have Troy Aikman throwing you ball, or whatever QB we had at the time. I mean really, if Ar had Aikman where do you think Keith would have gone? Just like Mallett had a valid reason for leaving Michigan. Players should look out for their future.

Yep and BlowU was really Air Switzer back in those days.  Holliway came in and they never gave up the wishbone.

Clarks Dad

Keith Jackson Jr. Played for the UofA
Clark, you were sent to us for a very special reason. And whatever that reason is, it's not to score touchdowns.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on August 19, 2010, 05:32:13 am
Yep and BlowU was really Air Switzer back in those days.  Holliway came in and they never gave up the wishbone.

Aikman got hurt opening the door for Holliway.

Wildhog

I want these two guys doing Hog games:

and

with sideline reporting from:

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

kingofdequeen

Dwight_K_Shrute

If you can get JVD and Bill Fagerbakke, you get them period no questions asked even if they went to ASU.  Beyond that stick with a UofA alum like the other 11 SEC schools.  When I get some more time I may expand my research to ACC and Big 12 to show just how stupid it is to have a Sooner, nay a Sooner legend be the Arkansas Razorbacks color analyst.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Smolder

Quote from: kingofdequeen on August 19, 2010, 02:23:40 pm
little hypocritical coming from me, but...is JVD ever sober?

No. Does he still own at the ice cream shop in benton?

kingofdequeen

bazzell would have been a viable choice if it weren't for the last ten years.

surely someone somewhere in Razorback history could do this job.  surely.  right?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

kingofdequeen

is all that special k screwing w/ your shortterm memory?

Hawg Balling

August 19, 2010, 03:28:24 pm #118 Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:31:02 pm by Hawg Balling
Quote from: Clarks Dad on August 19, 2010, 01:16:52 pm
Keith Jackson Jr. Played for the UofA

Would Oklahoma make Keith Jackson Jr. their color analyst for football broadcasts?  I mean, his father played there.

For that matter, why don't we get rid of Keith and hire Bobby Humphrey as our color analyst?  Sure, he was a legend at Alabama, but his son plays here now. 

heathtits

Keith Jackson Jr. played for the U of A, crapped his pants in the middle of a game and now sells Ecstacy for an honest living. If that doesn't spell qualification, I don't know what does.

Pigor Mortis

August 19, 2010, 05:19:04 pm #120 Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:26:34 pm by Pigor Mortis
My two cents:

1.  I like Keith and think he is one of the best color analysts out there. 

2.  He used to be an analyst for TNT back when they had NFL and has had other big-time opportunities.

3.  I do think it matters that he grew up here and has settled here and does great charitable work in Little Rock.

4.  As has been pointed out above, he is the father of a Hog.

5.  He also has two other future Hogs coming up, so I don't see the reason to risk losing them over the radio gig.

6.  But, I am still annoyed he didn't go to Arkansas. I wouldn't make a change to someone worse because of it.

go hogues

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 16, 2010, 11:22:36 pm
We had that in basketball. Then @#*^%#%^ Frank got him fired. We miss you Joe! I haven't been to a basketball game since. Of course they make it easy not too with the way they play now!!!!!
This doesn't make sense. You have not attended a basketball game in person because the radio color guy you like no longer calls the game? As the thread title states, that is pathetic.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: heathtits on August 19, 2010, 04:52:48 pm
Keith Jackson Jr. played for the U of A, crapped his pants in the middle of a game and now sells Ecstacy for an honest living. If that doesn't spell qualification, I don't know what does.

Oh htits just when I needed a good laugh you delivered.  Still laughing because I'm rereading as I type.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: go hogues on August 19, 2010, 05:23:38 pm
This doesn't make sense. You have not attended a basketball game in person because the radio color guy you like no longer calls the game? As the thread title states, that is pathetic.
Actually the pathetic basketball was the main reason I originally left. However after the way he was treated I said I would not go back till amends were made and they had a commitment to playing basketball at a high level again. I'm not asking they hire him back. I know what happened and I'll leave it at that. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Pigor Mortis on August 19, 2010, 05:19:04 pm
3.  I do think it matters that he grew up here and has settled here and does great charitable work in Little Rock.

4.  As has been pointed out above, he is the father of a Hog.

5.  He also has two other future Hogs coming up, so I don't see the reason to risk losing them over the radio gig.

Oh good God, are you serious? 

SigHog87

oldhawg

Jackson chose Barry Switzer (an Arkansan) over Lou Holtz.  Switzer assured Jackson that he could play tight end in college, while Holtz wanted Jackson in the backfield.  Plus, there were probably more perks ($) at Oklahoma. 

PonderinHog

I'm not advocating anyone getting fired (cough, cough), but if the position was open, does anyone think Joe Ferguson would take the job if offered?

LZH

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 18, 2010, 02:30:22 pm
Somebody put it best on this board that they get goosebumps everytime they come over that last hill on 540 (going north) before the Razorback Road exit when they see that panoramic view of the campus.  I still get chills when I see that sight. 

I had to come to Fayetteville a few weeks ago and I brought with me a guy who works for me.  As we topped the hill, he said "damn, is that the stadium?"  So naturally I had to show him around the campus some.  As we drove by some of the facilities, he kept saying "damn, look at that"....etc.  We had to stop several times so he could take some pics with his phone to show his wife and family that he had 'seen the hill'.  He's not much of a sports nut, but when we stopped in the parking lot north of RRS and got out, it tickled me to see him so impressed that something like that "was in Arkansas".

kingofdequeen

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 20, 2010, 10:21:46 am
I had to come to Fayetteville a few weeks ago and I brought with me a guy who works for me.  As we topped the hill, he said "damn, is that the stadium?"  So naturally I had to show him around the campus some.  As we drove by some of the facilities, he kept saying "damn, look at that"....etc.  We had to stop several times so he could take some pics with his phone to show his wife and family that he had 'seen the hill'.  He's not much of a sports nut, but when we stopped in the parking lot north of RRS and got out, it tickled me to see him so impressed that something like that "was in Arkansas".

i had a similar experience...took a buddy of mine from S. Arkansas who'd never been to NWA to a game.  he was awe-struck.  then, as often happens in life, a moment of levity was delivered in the form of a question and answer -

my buddy:  "how come there's no black people here?"
me:  "there's like 85 down there w/ helmets on.  and that's about it."

i attempted to find humor in something that i found kinda sad.

Albert Einswine

My biggest problem with Keith is that he's horrible at doing color commentary.  He's undoubtedly a good guy, by all accounts, but painful to listen to and he talks way too much for his role.  Every color guy in the game should have to listen to every one of Frank's broadcasts when he did color for ABC and then pass a written and oral exam before they're allowed in a booth.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 20, 2010, 01:14:30 pm
My biggest problem with Keith is that he's horrible at doing color commentary.  He's undoubtedly a good guy, by all accounts, but painful to listen to and he talks way too much for his role.  Every color guy in the game should have to listen to every one of Frank's broadcasts when he did color for ABC and then pass a written and oral exam before they're allowed in a booth.

that's like saying everyone w/ a physics degree should be able to mimic Einstein.

Frank was a wonderful color man - that's why he was national.  well, that, and ESPN/FSN/CSS/ESPN3 didn't exist yet.

I got the perfect Idea for a Tag Team -

Inman / J. Melton.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 20, 2010, 01:14:30 pm
Listen to one of them! They ought to have to study years of Pauls calls and film before even applying. :)