Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Arkansas secondary coach impressed with group so far

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 05, 2016, 07:49:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Paul Rhoades discusses his evaluation of the members of his Secondary to this point of spring practice.

"Overall, I think as a group I have been very pleased," Rhoads said. "I don't think I could say one guy or two guys have stood out. I think they are a veteran group. They have played a lot of snaps. Even D.J. (Dean) on the sidelines with an injured foot.

"You've got Henre' (Toliver), JC (Jared Collins), K-Rich (Kevin Richardson), (Joshua) Liddell, Santos (Ramirez). Guys who have played quality snaps. De'Andre Coley is stepping up and doing a nice job in his role so far as our second-team strong safety. That has been very pleasing to us also."

More detail on individual players inside:

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/New-Arkansas-secondary-coach-impressed-with-group-so-far-44638599
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

These new Coaches have interjected another level of fire and energy to this staff. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hardcore Hoggy

What else is he going to say? I hope the secondary steps up big time from last season.

Pork Ranger

ZERO

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 08:45:22 am
What else is he going to say? I hope the secondary steps up big time from last season.

Agreed.

QuoteI don't think I could say one guy or two guys have stood out

This is kind of a damning statement, isn't it? I have no doubt our secondary will be improved, but they have a lot to prove right now.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hoggish1

Quote from: ZERO on April 05, 2016, 09:03:02 am
Agreed.

This is kind of a damning statement, isn't it? I have no doubt our secondary will be improved, but they have a lot to prove right now.

Actually, what it means is they are all going to be good enough to contribute and we have depth.

They are not all peas in a pod, however.  We'll see a few guys rise above the group and begin to dominate.

All our d-backs have needed was to be coached well and now it appears that's happening.

bigdaddyhawg

If CPR can get good safety play out of our group of safeties, he will have earned his salary and a raise.

IMO, that is the biggest key to how well our D plays this fall.

I believe we'll have better pass rush, so that problem last year should be addressed.

I believe we'll get better LB play, what with Dre a year older and either Ramsey, Hackett, Eugene, or a new guy to step up.

And I believe we've got a strong group of corners, especially if Dean is healthy in the fall.

A lot is going to rest on our S's.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

a0ashle

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 08:45:22 am

You underestimate coach speak, here let me try.

"This secondary is putting in a lot work, and I have challenged this group to get better every day. They understand last year wasn't good enough and we are going to put the best 4 players on the field, so they have to show me they are ready. The effort has been there, but right now we are missing on the little things, I think we are getting there though."

It's easy to say something less optimistic without being too overly negative.

nwahogfan1

I agree that I think the talent has been there all along for us to be at least in the middle of the pack with our Secondary.  It was horrible last year.

It needed to be coached up by a better DB coach or at least a different style of coaching.    I hope we have that guy now.

I wonder if it is hard on Smith to have a DB coach under him who has been a DC and a HC before?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ZERO on April 05, 2016, 09:03:02 am
This is kind of a damning statement, isn't it?

No. It's not. He went on to say players had graded out in a wide range during the brief scrimmage. He simply chose not to single anyone out this early. Not enough information.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbackramsfan

Yea I said this elsewhere, maybe I'm stretching it, but I think that he thinks there is a lot of potential with the group but their technique is pretty bad and they did not play very well.  He was being nice, though, talking about the players, cause why not? There's a lot of time to correct their issues. 

This excites me because I think he can teach the technique and fundamentals and our secondary will be much improved. 

Wildhog

Our LB play really hurt the secondary last year.  That and having no pass rush.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

sickboy

Our secondary has plenty of talent. A lot of their problems last year fell on the DL not getting enough pressure on the QB. When we had Speight, Flowers and Philon, our secondary looked just fine and that group was less experienced than this crew. If we can get solid push from our line and improved linebacker play -- our secondary is going to be great.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: sickboy on April 05, 2016, 11:57:44 am
Our secondary has plenty of talent. A lot of their problems last year fell on the DL not getting enough pressure on the QB. When we had Speight, Flowers and Philon, our secondary looked just fine and that group was less experienced than this crew. If we can get solid push from our line and improved linebacker play -- our secondary is going to be great.

Lots of games the QB got rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds making huge chunk yards after the catch.  I don't think you can blame those on the DL.  Our DBs can not line up 7 yards off the WR and expect to have a good year defending the pass.

Hardcore Hoggy

Seriously, what else would he say?

" you know, we really don't have any talent, did anyone see how awful they were last year? Yeah, I'm not a miracle worker, if I had my choice, none of these guys would start or even play"

I mean EVERY new coach says this type of stuff.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 12:10:47 pm
Seriously, what else would he say?

" you know, we really don't have any talent, did anyone see how awful they were last year? Yeah, I'm not a miracle worker, if I had my choice, none of these guys would start or even play"

I mean EVERY new coach says this type of stuff.

IMO every single poster who goes out of his way to bring this kind of crap onto this board should be banned.

I understand it's not my site, but that's how it should be.

Having an opinion is one thing, but to contort and misconstrue any and every thing one possibly can goes beyond reasonable discourse.

Unless you're in Jump Ball, then everything's fair game.  :0
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 05, 2016, 12:39:20 pm
IMO every single poster who goes out of his way to bring this kind of crap onto this board should be banned.

Having an opinion is one thing, but to contort and misconstrue any and every thing one possibly can goes beyond reasonable discourse.

But that's just it... He WAS banned and who knows how many times.

What's the point if the crap that gets flushed from Hogville keeps coming back from the sewer? :puke:

Nosboar Accubond

LB play hurt our secondary a lot last year, that and poor play calling

Hardcore Hoggy

I didn't contort or misconstrue anything. Sad that you would ban people who have an opinion that is different from yours, but that is a complete indictment on American society right there.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 12:46:49 pm

I didn't contort or misconstrue anything. Sad that you would ban people who have an opinion that is different from yours, but that is a complete indictment on American society right there.

No... Not hardly. You're an ass that brings nothing to the table AND you seem to relish it. How many times have you been banned?

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 05, 2016, 12:48:44 pm
No... Not hardly. You're an ass that brings nothing to the table AND you seem to relish it. How many times have you been banned?

I bring my OPINION to the table, nothing else. Same as every other Joe posting here. I've never been banned, if ryou think I have report me, I'm happy to discuss with whomever runs this site to clear that up right away.

hoghevn

TOTALLY AGREE!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 12:50:41 pm
I bring my OPINION to the table, nothing else. Same as every other Joe posting here. I've never been banned, if ryou think I have report me, I'm happy to discuss with whomever runs this site to clear that up right away.

BS.

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 11:31:17 am
I'm just a peckerwood from the hills who owns too many guns

Your most accurate post to date...

a0ashle

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 05, 2016, 12:50:41 pm

What else do you expect a troll to say "I've been banned 12 times before" \s

HogMantheIntruder

My take on, "I don't think I can say one or two guys have stood out...":

This is a challenge to the entire secondary. It's a mind game that coaches all over the country play. The players read/hear what the coaches tell the media, and that quote gives each one of them something to prove. It tells the starters that their starting jobs are not guaranteed. It tells the second string that they have a shot to impress the new coach and take that starting position.

Is it coach speak? Sure. Is there a purpose to how it was phrased? Absolutely. He hasn't had the success he's had by chance, and if there is one thing he knows, it's how to get a group of guys motivated.

Just my .02.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

sickboy

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 05, 2016, 12:08:49 pm
Lots of games the QB got rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds making huge chunk yards after the catch.  I don't think you can blame those on the DL.  Our DBs can not line up 7 yards off the WR and expect to have a good year defending the pass.

I mean, I'd have to go back and study the tape, which I have no time to do, but I have a hard time believing that we faced an abnormally higher amount of three step drops last year than previous years. Because that's what less than 2 second passes are if you're getting the ball out that quick.

Still, I'm not blaming the DL for the bad DBs... I'm saying the defense is an ecosystem and if one group on the defensive side isn't doing their job consistently, then everyone can look bad. The good news is that 2014 is proof that if we can get the right kids to perform how they're supposed to -- our defensive can be a top 10 defense.

LZH

I'm gonna try to not expect PR to work miracles....there's a big difference between being improved and being good. He may not have much else to say at this point. I suspect whenever he does, he will let us know, or at least Big Boy will.

Mike_e

Guys, it's spring ball.  Last year is over and they're building a new house.

Let them work and just enjoy the process.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

LZH

Quote from: Mike_e on April 05, 2016, 02:20:25 pm
Guys, it's spring ball.  Last year is over and they're building a new house.

Let them work and just enjoy the process.

Well you're no fun.

Mike_e

Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

atekido

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 05, 2016, 09:33:27 am
Actually, what it means is they are all going to be good enough to contribute and we have depth.

They are not all peas in a pod, however.  We'll see a few guys rise above the group and begin to dominate.

All our d-backs have needed was to be coached well and now it appears that's happening.

Where did you deduce this is happening that they are getting coached well all the sudden?  What the coaches said is exactly what every coach says when no-one is showing up the others.  Everyone being equal does not raise the bar.  Having someone better than the rest forces the rest to raise up to his level.     

What we should hope for is someone shows himself being above the rest and then the others hopefully are of the type that Coach B likes which is guys who are super competitive and will strive to catchup to the better player.   Ignoring the last couple years does not change the facts our Secondary has been terrible.  We can hope that maybe through Schemes or coaching some of it is quickly resolved.  But part of it is we have no had a really really good CB,SS,FS in a long time

HamSammich

Nailed it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: atekido on April 05, 2016, 04:54:46 pm
Where did you deduce this is happening that they are getting coached well all the sudden?  What the coaches said is exactly what every coach says when no-one is showing up the others.  Everyone being equal does not raise the bar.  Having someone better than the rest forces the rest to raise up to his level.     

What we should hope for is someone shows himself being above the rest and then the others hopefully are of the type that Coach B likes which is guys who are super competitive and will strive to catchup to the better player.   Ignoring the last couple years does not change the facts our Secondary has been terrible.  We can hope that maybe through Schemes or coaching some of it is quickly resolved.  But part of it is we have no had a really really good CB,SS,FS in a long time
I'll certainly agree that for the most part our secondary left a whole lot to be desired last year. However, PR has had extremely limited time to really evaluate the play of any of these players. Whatever offseason conditioning and whatnot he may have observed counts for little. It's more on the practice field, and only three or four practices of those, that he's had the ability to really observe the players. Therefore, I reserve the judgment of what he thinks in abeyance until at least after spring training is completed. And if at after we get into fall drills and he still thinks much the same only THEN will I become far more concerned.

MuskogeeHogFan

Did you guys ever notice that some players are just such great natural athletes and players that despite not having the best technique, they overachieve and make big plays? I think we can all agree that these guys are in the minority.

By the same token, guys who maybe are good but not great natural athletes who are taught sound technique, who learns how to be disciplined in their approach and are properly aligned given any offensive set on a particular down/distance/situation, can also find themselves in a position to make big plays consistently.

It is only when you find that truly great natural athlete who also learns how to be disciplined in their approach and alignment that you find the very dominating DB that makes big play after big play and everyone proclaims to be an instant success in the NFL.

Most athletes don't have that greatness within them but that doesn't mean that they can't turn out to be very successful and productive at this level, especially when everyone else around them is being disciplined and playing their scheme as a team.

This is what I think Paul Rhoades will bring to the table with our Secondary. Proper alignment, proper technique, being in the right place at the right time, communicating effectively, being fundamentally sound in their approach to the game and their responsibilities, and doing exactly what they have been coached to execute.

If that is what this team produces, the Secondary will be vastly improved over last year. I expect some hiccups as they learn new things as that always seems to happen the first year when a new coach with a slightly different philosophy is in place. But they should be significantly improved over last season and if the LB's can help by being in the right place and helping in coverage and we get greater pressure up front, this defense should be far better than last year. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sickboy on April 05, 2016, 01:56:05 pm
I mean, I'd have to go back and study the tape, which I have no time to do, but I have a hard time believing that we faced an abnormally higher amount of three step drops last year than previous years. Because that's what less than 2 second passes are if you're getting the ball out that quick.

Still, I'm not blaming the DL for the bad DBs... I'm saying the defense is an ecosystem and if one group on the defensive side isn't doing their job consistently, then everyone can look bad. The good news is that 2014 is proof that if we can get the right kids to perform how they're supposed to -- our defensive can be a top 10 defense.

Sickboy, I believe your perception is right.  As you say, there may have been times where a short drop worked for our opponents, but WAY WAY WAY more often the QB would sit back there with a clean pocket for as long as he needed to allow those deep crossing patterns to open up between our S's and our LB's. 

THAT was what hurt us WAY more often that the quick hitters.

I like how CBB mentioned Wised in the PC, saying he's taken his play up a notch.  I believe that's important.  He can be a very solid pass rusher, especially if you get Sosa or Bell on the other side.

It will definitely make a difference.

lefty08

Nothing like reading between the lines on a 2 minute interview with a position coach, then arguing over how you took what he didn't say.  Never change Hogville , never change
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2016, 09:03:59 am
Nothing like reading between the lines on a 2 minute interview with a position coach, then arguing over how you took what he didn't say.  Never change Hogville , never change
Some good stuff in what you say. Yep, take a very short clip of comments of what a new position coach said/didn't say and interpret it any way you want. Geez......

colbs

I did hear a practice report last week(can't remember who it was on the radio) that CPR had the DBs playing closer to the receivers.  I was happy to hear because it seemed like last year they played 10 yards off the receivers.

HogMantheIntruder

It's the off season. It's a tough time for us, and we do what we can to get by.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

hawgmasta

This. If you give any college level QB unlimited time they'll find an open receiver and  ake the secondary look bad.

Paul

I'm excited to have Paul Rhodes as the secondary coach.  I think he's what these kids need:  a teacher of fundamentals

LZH

We're experts, ya know......

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: LZH on April 05, 2016, 02:09:51 pm
I'm gonna try to not expect PR to work miracles....there's a big difference between being improved and being good. He may not have much else to say at this point. I suspect whenever he does, he will let us know, or at least Big Boy will.

When Bielema promises us a great secondary in 2016, I'm getting out the shovel and digging me a hole.
[CENSORED]!