Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Offensive and Defensive Coaches Meet With Media

Started by Jason Carroll, April 04, 2016, 09:15:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

Arkansas offensive and defensive coaches met with the media for the first time this spring on Monday. Hear from Dan Enos, Kurt Anderson, Reggie Mitchell, Michael Smith, Robb Smith, Rory Segrest and Paul Rhoads post practice interviews.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hog-football-begins-week-two-of-spring-practice

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

20hog11

rzrbackramsfan

Reading between the lines there was a lot to be desired from our secondary last year regarding their fundamentals and technique.  Hopefully Rhoads can lead dramatic improvement in that group.  Could be huge.  I haven't heard much on Jared Collins but expect him to have a big senior year.

razorbackfan4life

O-line sounds a little concerning.  It seems like the talent is there, but they haven't put their big boy pants on yet.  Froholdt on the other hand is just busting his butt to play. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on April 05, 2016, 12:47:01 am
O-line sounds a little concerning.  It seems like the talent is there, but they haven't put their big boy pants on yet.  Froholdt on the other hand is just busting his butt to play. 

My main concern is the O-Line being able to learn the new blocking schemes/calls that they are being taught to the extent that it becomes second nature. Anytime you are learning something new and you are unsure about how to execute that, there is some hesitation and mistakes that effect timing.

I'm sure that some of the back-ups that are competing to be in the two deep are a little frustrated because they know their performance, or the lack thereof, is going to dictate their position on the depth chart. Some are obviously going to deal with this differently than others. Other than that, I am concerned about quality depth that has to be developed.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Muskogee, you're hitting the center of the bullseye with the first paragraph of your post. Feet, hips, and hand placement are all changed and when you add different calls and assignments, it's a lot to process.   Combine that with a lack of experience and it compounds the issue. 

I've only been able to watch two practices. The first last week and the scrimmage Saturday.  Coach Anderson has these guys pointed in the right direction.  The guys with experience, Skipper, Ragnow, and Rogers are ahead of the rest.  No shock there.  In time, everyone will pick it up and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised how much better our line play will be.  The techniques being taught are far advanced from any we've seen before.

As far as the guys being discouraged.  Coach Anderson demands a lot, but also communicates well with the young guys.  I don't think any are in panic mode, they just may be pressing.  Focusing too hard in not screwing up guarantees one thing, you'll screw up.  It's early and I expect a good look today when I head out to watch practice.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

luke hawg

It sounds like coach anderson is a little harder on his players than Pittman. Pittman was definitely a players coach.

FANONTHEHILL

Anderson is a players coach as well.  Just a different level of energy and intensity.  He brings an NFL mentality that will make the OLine better in time.  They've only had the pads on twice, it's a process, but they will be better in time.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 05, 2016, 07:41:13 am
Muskogee, you're hitting the center of the bullseye with the first paragraph of your post. Feet, hips, and hand placement are all changed and when you add different calls and assignments, it's a lot to process.   Combine that with a lack of experience and it compounds the issue. 

I've only been able to watch two practices. The first last week and the scrimmage Saturday.  Coach Anderson has these guys pointed in the right direction.  The guys with experience, Skipper, Ragnow, and Rogers are ahead of the rest.  No shock there.  In time, everyone will pick it up and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised how much better our line play will be.  The techniques being taught are far advanced from any we've seen before.

As far as the guys being discouraged.  Coach Anderson demands a lot, but also communicates well with the young guys.  I don't think any are in panic mode, they just may be pressing.  Focusing too hard in not screwing up guarantees one thing, you'll screw up.  It's early and I expect a good look today when I head out to watch practice.

They will have all summer to process.  I hope by Fall everyone is on the same page.  I am nervous about the JUCO who will not get here until Summer/Fall.  He may have trouble but surely he will get it by mid season.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

Did it seem like Enos's was walking back some praise/expectations for the QB corps?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 05, 2016, 01:47:12 pm
Did it seem like Enos's was walking back some praise/expectations for the QB corps?

Mainly just on Austin, in my opinion.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 05, 2016, 01:47:12 pm

You don't come out a few practices into spring and sing praises like a canary.  He's got to keep his comments measured so the guys stay hungry and continue competing.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 05, 2016, 03:23:59 pm
You don't come out a few practices into spring and sing praises like a canary.  He's got to keep his comments measured so the guys stay hungry and continue competing.

I was mainly thinking of it in the context of earlier reports about how (paraphrasing) Allen and Peavy had seperated themselves from the pack.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hogs run wild

excited to see what coach rhodes can do with the secondary. man we were so bad last year.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 05, 2016, 04:16:26 pm
I was mainly thinking of it in the context of earlier reports about how (paraphrasing) Allen and Peavy had seperated themselves from the pack.

Enos didn't seem to say anything different. He's said that Austin is the most complete thus far. 

DeltaBoy

No need to tip your hand too soon good move by Enos.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.