Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema talks about what separates SEC, Arkansas defense

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 02, 2016, 07:06:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Bielema visits with Ivan Maisel, Chris Lowe and Adam Rittenberg about what he has learned about being able to compete on defense in the SEC.

"After that first year, it became very evident the depth of the defensive line in this league is uncomparable to anything I've ever seen," Bielema said. "The depth, I don't think that could be any more apparent than in the championship game this year with Alabama ... usually you get six, eight, maybe nine defensive linemen rolling through, but they had 12 players that played significant rolls in their defense up front."

More than just the depth, Bielema pointed out that there are also single game-changers on every SEC roster that you have to plan for.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-arkansas-sec-espn-radio/
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Every interview or article I've seen or read that has coaches familiar with the SEC by having coached in it and other conferences mentions that. The DL is the biggest difference.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2016, 07:14:34 am
Every interview or article I've seen or read that has coaches familiar with the SEC by having coached in it and other conferences mentions that. The DL is the biggest difference.

I think that there may have been certain things that Bielema underestimated about SEC Football when he made the decision to take the job at Arkansas and the strength and talented depth of defensive lines may have been one of those.

With an acknowledgement of how important this is you have to wonder how this might have altered his overall offensive philosophy and O-Line play and for that matter, other aspects of the game?
Go Hogs Go!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 07:26:22 am

With an acknowledgement of how important this is you have to wonder how this might have altered his overall offensive philosophy and O-Line play and for that matter, other aspects of the game?
Not sure about overall philosphy, but it has probably led to several, if not most, of the early staff changes.  That, in turn, has led to a different look to things.  But his philosophy has been and always will be a big, physical O-line and a strong running game.  Now we just have the passing game to go with it.  The Enos offense has definitely added different dimensions for opposing defensive fronts to worry about.

It's no coincidence that Saban/Kiffin have added some uptempo offense to their arsenal.  It's how you overcome very deep defensive fronts.  Not saying we should go uptempo because that discussion has been beaten to death, but offenses have to be more creative now than ever before.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 02, 2016, 08:29:36 am
Not sure about overall philosphy, but it has probably led to several, if not most, of the early staff changes.  That, in turn, has led to a different look to things.  But his philosophy has been and always will be a big, physical O-line and a strong running game.  Now we just have the passing game to go with it.  The Enos offense has definitely added different dimensions for opposing defensive fronts to worry about.

It's no coincidence that Saban/Kiffin have added some uptempo offense to their arsenal.  It's how you overcome very deep defensive fronts.  Not saying we should go uptempo because that discussion has been beaten to death, but offenses have to be more creative now than ever before.

I think that Bielema knew after his first season that he was going to have to add a more effective passing game that provided a viable threat to opposing defenses in the SEC in order to stick with his tendency to embrace a power run game. Having to face bigger, stronger, faster teams with greater talented depth on defense week-in and week-out meant that he needed that passing game to keep those defenses honest. So far, the addition of Enos appears to have been the missing cog on the offense. We will see how that plays out this year with the losses we have experienced at QB, OL, TE and RB.

But you definitely need a very active and talented group up front on defense to pull off what Alabama tends to do, as mentioned by Bielema. I'm not sure that we are at that point yet (three deep) but you can tell that they are making a serious effort to produce that kind of defense.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 07:06:42 am
Bielema visits with Ivan Maisel, Chris Lowe and Adam Rittenberg about what he has learned about being able to compete on defense in the SEC.

"After that first year, it became very evident the depth of the defensive line in this league is uncomparable to anything I've ever seen," Bielema said. "The depth, I don't think that could be any more apparent than in the championship game this year with Alabama ... usually you get six, eight, maybe nine defensive linemen rolling through, but they had 12 players that played significant rolls in their defense up front."

More than just the depth, Bielema pointed out that there are also single game-changers on every SEC roster that you have to plan for.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-arkansas-sec-espn-radio/

Sheesh, the errors in this quote.
I seriously doubt BB says UNcomparable vs INcomparable and "...played significant rolls in their defense up front."
What the heck were they doing? Gymnastics?   Some sort of circus act?

I realize this isn't SI or Sporting News, but come on.

To the info of the article, I also think BB underestimated the DL in particular and defense as a whole in the SEC.  You can see, IMO, his adjustments in recruiting and emphasis these last two years.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 02, 2016, 09:49:59 am
I seriously doubt BB says UNcomparable vs INcomparable and "...played significant rolls in their defense up front."

To the info of the article, I also think BB underestimated the DL in particular and defense as a whole in the SEC.  You can see, IMO, his adjustments in recruiting and emphasis these last two years.

Somebody didn't listen to the podcast, he says "uncomparable".

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 02, 2016, 09:49:59 am

You might want to listen to the podcast, it was quoted correctly.

Bielema interview begins at about the 25:44 mark.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15097747
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 10:16:26 am
You might want to listen to the podcast, it was quoted correctly.

Bielema interview begins at about the 25:44 mark.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15097747

Ok.
That still doesn't excuse rolls vs roles.

Surprised by uncomparable.  BB is a polished spokesman......Usually.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 07:26:22 am
I think that there may have been certain things that Bielema underestimated about SEC Football when he made the decision to take the job at Arkansas and the strength and talented depth of defensive lines may have been one of those.

what was his record against the SEC while at Wisconsin? 

PP

factchecker

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 02, 2016, 10:33:57 am

PP

1 win and 1 loss (1-1)

2006 victory over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl 17-14

2007 loss to Tennessee in the Outback Bowl 17-21
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: factchecker on April 02, 2016, 12:07:27 pm
1 win and 1 loss (1-1)

I didn't want to really include us in the DL comparison, although I think that was a best DL we had under Nutt.....iirc

PP

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 02, 2016, 10:33:57 am

PP

Playing a couple of games against a conference, spread out over a few years is one thing. Having to face competition within a conference game after game and year after year, and having to compete for players against those same in-conference teams each year might lead a coach to having a substantially greater epiphany about your competition, especially in the West as it exists today.
Go Hogs Go!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 12:55:11 pm
Playing a couple of games against a conference, spread out over a few years is one thing. Having to face competition within a conference game after game and year after year, and having to compete for players against those same in-conference teams each year might lead a coach to having a substantially greater epiphany about your competition, especially in the West as it exists today.
did he think we had a magic potion for all the NC's while he was laboring away in the Big 10?

PP

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 02, 2016, 12:58:49 pm
did he think we had a magic potion for all the NC's while he was laboring away in the Big 10?

PP

I have no idea. See if you can get press credentials and ask him. That would be a good question. I'm not sure how it would be received, but...
Go Hogs Go!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 01:34:59 pm
I have no idea. See if you can get press credentials and ask him. That would be a good question. I'm not sure how it would be received, but...
not that important, lol

PP

Hardcore Hoggy

April 04, 2016, 10:55:15 am #16 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:30:22 am by Hardcore Hoggy
 Hopefully his on the job training included a segment on the necessity of not starting off slow again this year.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 04, 2016, 10:55:15 am
Hopefully his on the job training included a segment on the necessity of not starting off again this year.

You don't think we should start?  :)
SOOIE

Hardcore Hoggy

Cure

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 09:29:55 am
I think that Bielema knew after his first season that he was going to have to add a more effective passing game that provided a viable threat to opposing defenses in the SEC in order to stick with his tendency to embrace a power run game.
Yeah, he figured that out once Alabama stacked the box, dared him to use a Cover 2 beater and his receivers could not get any separation. It's not like he was opposed to passing, he just knew he needed a better situation for his QB.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

"Taken aback" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.

EFBAB

Iwastherein1969

This is odd. Razorback fans questioning the quality of the head football coach's ability to speak the King's English. Sickening is more like it. If this is all we have to biotch about (and yes I do know that the b word is incorrectly spelled), well the times are changing and quite likely for the better as far as success on the field is concerned.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 02, 2016, 12:12:34 pm
I didn't want to really include us in the DL comparison, although I think that was a best DL we had under Nutt.....iirc

PP
Quote from: factchecker on April 02, 2016, 12:07:27 pm
1 win and 1 loss (1-1)

Our def front dominated that bowl game.  Herring went to a 5 man front at times and embarrassed the Wisconsin oline including Joe Thomas.  Frustrating loss.  Bielema must have forgotten the sacks or his RB being shut down. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 12:55:11 pm

This....

its easy to take a month off and prepare for a bowl game.

Its tougher to play every Sat. getting ground down by SEC defenses.

swineology

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 07:06:42 am

On the job training, Coach B had no clue what the SEC West was made of.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: swineology on April 05, 2016, 07:36:44 pm
On the job training, Coach B had no clue what the SEC West was made of.

I don't know about that, but he probably didn't understand prior to coming into the Conference, just how deep the talent was among the better teams in the conference at a variety of positions. I think saying that he had no clue at all is a tad over the top. I do think that he might have been surprised to some extent.
Go Hogs Go!

swineology

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2016, 07:44:51 pm
I don't know about that, but he probably didn't understand prior to coming into the Conference, just how deep the talent was among the better teams in the conference at a variety of positions. I think saying that he had no clue at all is a tad over the top. I do think that he might have been surprised to some extent.
Big jump from the Big 10 to the SEC West..
I think he realizes it now thus, Enos, Paul Rhoades etc...

Acehawg

His plan was to have a balanced offensive attack from day 1 in the SEC.  He just hired the wrong OC to begin with (Chaney).  The theory of him planning to run a BIG 10 power based, run only offense with a limited passing game has never been proven to be true.  I'm not even sure where this theory started.  Maybe a preconceived notion by fans.

HamSammich

Quote from: Acehawg on April 05, 2016, 09:21:38 pm
His plan was to have a balanced offensive attack from day 1 in the SEC.  He just hired the wrong OC to begin with (Chaney).  The theory of him planning to run a BIG 10 power based, run only offense with a limited passing game has never been proven to be true.  I'm not even sure where this theory started.  Maybe a preconceived notion by fans.

Im a big10 fan... a big one. I went to Northwestern and Iowa after arkansas. So I have always watched a ton of big ten. I don't think it was a 50 / 50 balanced offense at wisconsin. And I could be wrong.

But I think CBB is great in some areas. one is that he knows how to adapt.

I believe its definitely a balanced offense now.

Acehawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 05, 2016, 09:34:09 pm
Im a big10 fan... a big one. I went to Northwestern and Iowa after arkansas. So I have always watched a ton of big ten. I don't think it was a 50 / 50 balanced offense at wisconsin. And I could be wrong.

It wasn't balanced at Wisconsin, it has been here for the most part.  The passing game just hasn't always been successful.  He knew he had to be more balanced when he moved to the SEC.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Acehawg on April 05, 2016, 09:21:38 pm
It Is obvious BB is starting to get the SEC mindset. even with BP there was a process. Its not for the faint of heart. Its like no, this ant fun so much, businesslike, But once you get there. There is cheat, crooked recruiting and so forth. Its a war, stuff happens, unpleasant things come more often. But you grow, you see.  BB is arriving and has the ability to take it on, to coach, to grow and get to a place where we can compete.  These are the things that makes him coach, not just a coach But an SEC coach !  I for one appreciate where he is busting his butt to take us.
go hogs go !

DeltaBoy

It great to see Coach learn and grow.  I expect better things every year with this Staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jim Harris

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 02, 2016, 10:20:29 am
Ok.
That still doesn't excuse rolls vs roles.

Surprised by uncomparable.  BB is a polished spokesman......Usually.

When and if he says "I get so flustrated," I'll do the eye roll. Until then ....
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2016, 07:44:51 pm

I think the depth is what surprised him. I mean the truth is, the SEC doesn't really have better starters than other leagues (we're talking top programs here) but what they do have more of is quality depth. At Wisconsin he could build a big powerful team and lean on teams for 3 quarters until their starters were wore out, then win in the 4th quarter. In the  SEC , that doesn't work. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, TAMU all programs that consistently have enough talent to weather that sort of storm. I believe we see Arkansas becoming one of those programs as well.

RT1941

Quote from: HamSammich on April 05, 2016, 09:34:09 pm

Knowing how to adapt in this conference is paramount IMHO.

Some coaches in this conference has proven that they can be stubborn, pig headed and they will stick to their philosophy even if it jeopardizes their job.....i.e. Les Miles & Gus Malzhan.

A head coach that will adapt his philosophy and make changes within his program to gain an advantage or put his team in a better position to win will be the most successful in the long run. i.e. Nick Saban
RazorTusk!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

I would think that another factor that may have surprised CBB to some degree is the overall speed found on both sides of the ball. Nothing like this particular factor to separate the truly elite from the more run-of-the-mill programs and conferences.

Biggus Piggus

How many teams besides Alabama have that much depth on the defensive line? LSU is usually good but not that deep. Florida usually is similar to LSU. Everybody else has much less depth.
[CENSORED]!

hoghevn

Quote from: RT1941 on April 06, 2016, 12:40:15 pm
Knowing how to adapt in this conference is paramount IMHO.

Some coaches in this conference has proven that they can be stubborn, pig headed and they will stick to their philosophy even if it jeopardizes their job.....i.e. Les Miles & Gus Malzhan.

A head coach that will adapt his philosophy and make changes within his program to gain an advantage or put his team in a better position to win will be the most successful in the long run. i.e. Nick Saban

Totally agree!  Great point!!

Our coach has shown he knows how to adapt.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Paul

I learned the difference when I went to the 81 Sugar Bowl.  I couldn't believe how much bigger & faster Bama was.