Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting story about Arkansas high school football in the 80's

Started by Snoutmaster, March 29, 2016, 11:21:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoutmaster

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/high-school/mike-lee-the-story-of-how-an-imaginary-football-team-made-headlines-ep-1344469853-353307131.html

Rock City outfitters put out a new shirt honoring this team and included this link to the article.  I had never heard this story but its pretty entertaining

DeltaBoy

Great Story and back then we though it was a Private School.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRrazorback

PossumFan

Not a harmless practical joke, IMO. I'm on Wally's side on this one.

azhog10

Having emailed newspaper people about scores and stats for games and they still get it wrong with it right in their face. I find this funny. It's amazing how hard people can make things, when you are really doing them a favor. Have to admit that was pretty good.

gmarv

hoggusamoungus

Fact check.  The two papers didn't merge until 1991, not in 1988 as the article indicates.
I still have a copy of the 10/18/91 Gazette.

Throwing in the towel, Gannett closed the Gazette after publishing a final edition on Oct. 18, 1991. Later that day the Democrat purchased all the assets, including the subscription list of the Gazette, and renamed the combined newspaper the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette the next day.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

DeltaBoy

It is to me the best HS practical stunt pulled off by some adults in my lifetime.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Bacons Rebellion

The tragic part is that we lot all those Jessieville players when they got scholarships to Plainfield State Teachers College. Johnny Chung had returned as coach to PSTC and he just created a pipeline to Village Academy. It was the same time we were losing Keith Jackson and Danny Bradley to Oklahoma, so it didn't draw the same attention, but losing Norman hurt almost as much.

hogsanity

Quote from: PossumFan on March 29, 2016, 03:24:38 pm
Not a harmless practical joke, IMO. I'm on Wally's side on this one.

and why would you say that?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boog41

I have a buddy that still has a few clippings that talk about touchdowns he scored for VA.

RazorbacksFan

Bob Sivils was my band director at Helen Tyson Middle School in Springdale in the 90s. He was a unique character: usually tied rope for a belt and drove an old Buick or similar sedan completely covered in bumper stickers. The car was called "the rat."

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 30, 2016, 08:21:37 am
It is to me the best HS practical stunt pulled off by some adults in my lifetime.

Much better than a Ponzi scheme!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

PossumFan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2016, 10:05:04 am
and why would you say that?

I just don't think deliberately damaging a newspaper's credibility is amusing. Would it be funny if the police fed the newspaper bogus stories about crimes they solved? You might argue that it's just a silly little high school sports story, but it's all news and the same principles apply. As a reader, I want to be as reasonably assured as possible that what I'm reading is true. Fabricating news is not cool, whether it's done by a dishonest reporter trying to get ahead or a non-employee contributor who thinks it's funny.

HogShat

clutch

Quote from: PossumFan on March 31, 2016, 08:00:28 am
I just don't think deliberately damaging a newspaper's credibility is amusing. Would it be funny if the police fed the newspaper bogus stories about crimes they solved? You might argue that it's just a silly little high school sports story, but it's all news and the same principles apply. As a reader, I want to be as reasonably assured as possible that what I'm reading is true. Fabricating news is not cool, whether it's done by a dishonest reporter trying to get ahead or a non-employee contributor who thinks it's funny.

You take your newspaper reading seriously I see.

What these guys did was expose people for not doing their job very well. If you are in charge of a sports section of a newspaper and you can be tricked into putting in scores for a non-existent school for 3 years then you deserve it.

ridgehog88

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 08:34:49 am

What these guys did was expose people for not doing their job very well. If you are in charge of a sports section of a newspaper and you can be tricked into putting in scores for a non-existent school for 3 years then you deserve it.

amen to that

DeltaBoy

Amen give them LR boys a rag to wipe the egg off their face.

Dr. Starcs

First I had heard of this was reading this past years Hooten's magazine.

I was in tears laughing so hard. Journalism at its absolute finest.

BearsBisonsBoars

Not our job to protect their credibility. That's their job.

If they never bothered to fact check in all of those years, then that's on them.

GolfnHog

If you believe what the mainstream media feeds you today is factual and not slanted towards their own agenda then you deserve everything you get.

Those 2 folks just proved that those taking the sports reports were inept and Wally and Foshee got what they deserved for being as stupid as their subordinates.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

IronMountainHog

Sounds like a couple of losers with nothing better to do. The hoax/joke isn't even funny, in fact it is just lame.

Inhogswetrust

Bingo. Isn't it the newspapers responsibility to make sure their news is accurate as possible. Making sure a school or team exists couldn't be that hard.

Maybe he also wants to make sure when the local newspaper wrote Aunt Jenny from Emporia, Kansas visited with her Niece Rebecca in Crossett Saturday night and they went to the KFC for Chicken that they really did go to KFC and not just drinking at the local VFW.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GolfnHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2016, 07:33:23 am

aybe he also wants to make sure when the local newspaper wrote Aunt Jenny from Emporia, Kansas visited with her Niece Rebecca in Crossett Saturday night and they went to the KFC for Chicken that they really did go to KFC and not just drinking at the local VFW.

I see we grew up with the same type small town newspaper!

" Petey Bob and his college friends came home for the weekend and were run off the Piggly Wiggly parking lot by the local policeman. All those fine youngsters were in church on Sunday morning listening to the sermon by Brother Joe."
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PossumFan

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 31, 2016, 04:13:18 pm
Not our job to protect their credibility. That's their job.

If they never bothered to fact check in all of those years, then that's on them.

No, it's "not our job to protect their credibility" ... but it's also "not our job" to proactively attempt to undermine it through misrepresentation and lies.     

Pulled(PP)pork

I bet Robert Shields was behind this, he post fake stories all the time on Hogville.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

I'm sorry, that is hilarious and elaborate......well done to those two fellas

PP

Boog41

Sometimes you just need to laugh and say "you got me good". This was a great practical joke.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Boog41 on April 02, 2016, 04:16:52 pm
Sometimes you just need to laugh and say "you got me good". This was a great practical joke.

A laugh at the expense of the media is good for me.  They take themselves way too serious and their job, not serious enough.  Truth is only important if they are asking a question.  What they put on paper doesn't matter.  I've never understood why they think they are so important that anyone HAS to tell them the truth.  You would think their subject was sworn in under oath.  That's why someone getting under their skin is funny.

Oh yea, remember "never believe anything you read and half what you see".

uams1989

Gary Crowder was the girls coach at Jessieville when I was in high school there and he's had a very successful career at OBU.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

LZH

It isn't anyone else's fault if they are going to sit on their nuts and let someone do the reporting for them.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LZH on April 03, 2016, 05:34:41 pm
It isn't anyone else's fault if they are going to sit on their nuts and let someone do the reporting for them.

Possumfan got on sense of HUMOR!!!!