Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enos on the 4 QB's entering practice

Started by ricepig, March 29, 2016, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I think we tend to focus more on what happens in the spring and in August and less on what happens leading up to it, and I believe that is a mistake. I've read comments that the quarterback position really isn't up for grabs at all, as if all of them weren't being given a fair shot.

I believe that devalues what happens the other 11 months out of the year. Our coaches have been evaluating all of our quarterbacks since they each arrived on campus. Every meeting with Enos in the quarterback room, every off-season workout, every drill, is a data point leading up to the spring; just as everything that happens over the next four weeks, and over the summer months, will be data points leading up to the first day of practice in August.

If it appears that Austin is in the lead right now, maybe it is because he has earned that spot, doing all of those things that the coaches see and hear but that we never do.   

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 02, 2016, 10:36:56 am
I think we tend to focus more on what happens in the spring and in August and less on what happens leading up to it, and I believe that is a mistake. I've read comments that the quarterback position really isn't up for grabs at all, as if all of them weren't being given a fair shot.

I believe that devalues what happens the other 11 months out of the year. Our coaches have been evaluating all of our quarterbacks since they each arrived on campus. Every meeting with Enos in the quarterback room, every off-season workout, every drill, is a data point leading up to the spring; just as everything that happens over the next four weeks, and over the summer months, will be data points leading up to the first day of practice in August.

If it appears that Austin is in the lead right now, maybe it is because he has earned that spot, doing all of those things that the coaches see and hear but that we never do.   

Pffttt........it's obvious to see more in a 1:23 clip of them doing drills, geez....

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: zane on March 29, 2016, 05:32:53 pm
Stopped reading when he called St Gus and Sumlin QB "gurus"...
this, Gus hasn't developed a qb yet

PP

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 02, 2016, 09:25:23 am
If there really is a challenge to AA then I think they may wait until the fall to name the starter but do we really want that?    I hope AA will run away and do a great job in the spring and next year considering he is a 4th year player and was a 4 star QB coming out of HS with potential of being a great player here. 

I do think if there is a battle   at the No. 2 QB spot then the coaches may decide to not name him until the fall.
They were all 4 or 5 stars for one thing. Secondly, they ALL have the exact same experience playing in this system. Enos has been here 1 year. Town may be a little behind, but then again, he is the highest rated of the bunch by far.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Buff

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 02, 2016, 10:51:51 am
this, Gus hasn't developed a qb yet

PP

Really?  He makes them the best hander-offers in college football.  36!

MuskogeeHogFan

April 02, 2016, 01:27:53 pm #105 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:04:02 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: 20hog11 on April 02, 2016, 10:13:51 am
The addition of Town(s) really threw a kink in the future for the position. A great problem to have but nonetheless a kink. Before he came one could easily see Austin playing for two years then a battle for Peavey and Storey to start in 2018 and presumably Storey starting in 2019 followed by Kelly.

With Town though, that doesn't work since he and Storey are in the same class. As always the cream will rise to the top. I would love for each of the 5 qbs to all start and have success at Arkansas, but there is a logjam at the position that won't allow it. I do wonder if we don't pull a duwop/derby and move one of them to another position at some point. Time will tell. For now, I'm just glad that we are able to talk about football in early April.

While I realize that there is a QB competition that is going on at this moment, everything that I have heard or read has AA at the forefront of that competition for the time being. He will, most likely, be the eventual starter that is named just because of his familiarity with the offense and being the only one with any game experience.

But even with that, there is no guarantee that he will be named the starter. Likely, yes. Guaranteed? No. But if he is, I have to also assume that he will be the starter in 2017 as well, provided that he functions well at the position and does nothing to find himself being replaced over the course of 2016.

As you say, the real logjam begins after this coming season when AA has a year left and Peavey has two remaining. Is the end of spring practice this year a decision day for Peavey? Or does it come at the end of next season for he or one of the other QB's. Peavey has already taken a RS year and will enter the 2016 season as a RS/So with 3 years to play.

If he (Peavey) were going to transfer at all you have to think that it would be after spring ball so that with the year that he would have to sit out with a transfer, he would have two years of eligibility remaining. Lots of teams would probably be very interested. Waiting one more year (or the 2016 season) would reduce him to having one year of eligibility remaining and fewer P-5 teams might be interested.

The next logjam after that involves Storey and Town. Town has already transferred once and sat out a year and I doubt that he wants to go through that again, but if he does, that will probably come early in his time at Arkansas. It all depends on how he views the competition and his chance of gaining ground on them. The same might be true of Storey, who has already had his R/S year.

Now if Kelly comes in and passes someone already established on the depth chart, all heck is going to break loose.

But having all of this talented depth competing for playing time at such a key position is a very good thing and something that Arkansas hasn't seen for a very long time.

Edit: Bielema's post scrimmage comments indicate that AA and Peavey's performance today have set them apart from the others at this moment. The question now becomes, if this holds to be true throughout the spring, what promises can they make to Peavey in terms of future playing time? If Peavey somehow manages to out-perform AA and becomes the starter, what happens with AA? Still, spring practice just started.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2016, 01:27:53 pm
While I realize that there is a QB competition that is going on at this moment, everything that I have heard or read has AA at the forefront of that competition for the time being. He will, most likely, be the eventual starter that is named just because of his familiarity with the offense and being the only one with any game experience.

But even with that, there is no guarantee that he will be named the starter. Likely, yes. Guaranteed? No. But if he is, I have to also assume that he will be the starter in 2017 as well, provided that he functions well at the position and does nothing to find himself being replaced over the course of 2016.

As you say, the real logjam begins after this coming season when AA has a year left and Peavey has two remaining. Is the end of spring practice this year a decision day for Peavey? Or does it come at the end of next season for he or one of the other QB's. Peavey has already taken a RS year and will enter the 2016 season as a RS/So with 3 years to play.

If he (Peavey) were going to transfer at all you have to think that it would be after spring ball so that with the year that he would have to sit out with a transfer, he would have two years of eligibility remaining. Lots of teams would probably be very interested. Waiting one more year (or the 2016 season) would reduce him to having one year of eligibility remaining and fewer P-5 teams might be interested.

The next logjam after that involves Storey and Town. Town has already transferred once and sat out a year and I doubt that he wants to go through that again, but if he does, that will probably come early in his time at Arkansas. It all depends on how he views the competition and his chance of gaining ground on them. The same might be true of Storey, who has already had his R/S year.

Now if Kelly comes in and passes someone already established on the depth chart, all heck is going to break loose.

But having all of this talented depth competing for playing time at such a key position is a very good thing and something that Arkansas hasn't seen for a very long time.

Edit: Bielema's post scrimmage comments indicate that AA and Peavey's performance today have set them apart from the others at this moment. The question now becomes, if this holds to be true throughout the spring, what promises can they make to Peavey in terms of future playing time? If Peavey somehow manages to out-perform AA and becomes the starter, what happens with AA? Still, spring practice just started.

I would hope people around Town would advise him not to transfer. Two transfers in a college career could be a red flag at the next level. You want a QB not afraid of competition and two transfers would scream he is.

I think he stays and wins the position before Storey.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"