Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enos on the 4 QB's entering practice

Started by ricepig, March 29, 2016, 10:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgey-Davidson

Razorbacker79

Thanks for the link!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Turn up that damn jukebox!!

bphi11ips

According to CDE, "Probably the best pure passer . . ." is

Rafe Peavey
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

31to6

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 29, 2016, 05:08:59 pm

Rafe Peavey
He has always had a cannon for an arm. There is a reason he was so highly recruited out of Bolivar, MO.

zane

Stopped reading when he called St Gus and Sumlin QB "gurus"...
RIP LSUfan

RebelW

"Little brother did better than big brother"
"Whoa, that guy is good"
I like what I here about AA

bennyl08

Rafe Peavey

Not really what he said though.

Best pure passer in terms of arm strength and getting the ball down the field is what was said. No statement whatsoever about accuracy, decision making, throwing receivers open, etc...

For those interested, from the article

Town: quick release, great feet, big hands.
Storey: Off the charts football intelligence, more of a gamer who does his best under competitive situations
Peavey: Arm strength, good feed, works hard.
Allen: Combo guy. Implied that he isn't as intelligent as Storey, as quick as Town, as strong an arm as Peavey, but has a good blend of the other's talents.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

choppedporkextrasauce

That can't be right because I have read repeatedly by posters on Hogville that Peavy had a weak arm, and you know if you you've read it on Hogville it must be true.

bennyl08

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 29, 2016, 06:40:37 pm
That can't be right because I have read repeatedly by posters on Hogville that Peavy had a weak arm, and you know if you you've read it on Hogville it must be true.

That has been said about every quarterback on the roster right now and has been true about none of them.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

swinesation

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2016, 06:32:55 pm
Not really what he said though.

Best pure passer in terms of arm strength and getting the ball down the field is what was said. No statement whatsoever about accuracy, decision making, throwing receivers open, etc...

For those interested, from the article

Town: quick release, great feet, big hands.
Storey: Off the charts football intelligence, more of a gamer who does his best under competitive situations
Peavey: Arm strength, good feed, works hard.
Allen: Combo guy. Implied that he isn't as intelligent as Storey, as quick as Town, as strong an arm as Peavey, but has a good blend of the other's talents.

Good summary, but I didn't get the feeling Enos was implying Austin wasn't as intelligent as Storey, quick as Town, or strong-armed as Peavey. On the contrary, I got the feeling that he was saying Austin had all those positive attributes in one package.

bennyl08

Quote from: swinesation on March 29, 2016, 07:06:43 pm
Good summary, but I didn't get the feeling Enos was implying Austin wasn't as intelligent as Storey, quick as Town, or strong-armed as Peavey. On the contrary, I got the feeling that he was saying Austin had all those positive attributes in one package.

Could be right, I was going off of the quotes though, which I admittedly paraphrased in my post. For example

Storey: "... off the charts with his football intelligence. I mean off the charts."
Allen: "really has a good grasp of what we're doing too."

Peavey: "But tremendous arm strength"
Allen: "really good arm strength"

Basically, the tone I got from the written words is similar to what you sort of see with Aaron Rogers in the NFL. There are guys who are faster than he is, guys who have a stronger arm than he does, guys who can read the defense better than him, etc... However, he is by far the most complete package. That's kind of how I was interpreting this article on Enos. Essentially, we have guys with A+'s in some categories, but might be a B- in others while Austin is an A- in everything.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: zane on March 29, 2016, 05:32:53 pm
Stopped reading when he called St Gus and Sumlin QB "gurus"...

I didn't stop reading there...but I did get a chuckle at that part.

Let's see, Gus had 2 transfers—Cam and Marshall—fall into his lap ready to go. That hardly makes him a guru. And Sumlin may get a good quarterback, at least for a few early games, but he can't keep them. That was the strangest of the two.

But I enjoyed the article.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Kevin

All this fuss over a position that is filled already.

Starting Qb will be Allen.

But hey, that is what everyone wants to report on and people want to hear about

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bennyl08

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2016, 02:26:21 am

Austin Allen has already won the starting job in the same way Luck had won the heisman this time 2011. Odds on favorite? Yes. Favorite to win for good reason? Yes. However, he never won the heisman. A lesser known qb from Baylor won it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: swinesation on March 29, 2016, 07:06:43 pm

That was the way I read it as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

And so it begins. If AA wins the starting position then there was no real competition. If someone else wins then there was.

Why is it so hard for some to believe AA may be the best QB today? People seem to think CBB doesn't really care to put the winning QB on the field. If CDE tells CBB X is the best QB then X will start.

People are also ignoring that 5 out of the last 6 years CDE has had a 3,000 yard passer.

IMHO whoever CDE chooses as the starter will be the best QB. End of story. IMHO.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

oldbear

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 30, 2016, 12:19:43 am
I didn't stop reading there...but I did get a chuckle at that part.

Let's see, Gus had 2 transfers—Cam and Marshall—fall into his lap ready to go. That hardly makes him a guru. And Sumlin may get a good quarterback, at least for a few early games, but he can't keep them. That was the strangest of the two.

But I enjoyed the article.

That part was funny and killed his credibility. I'm not sure about Sumlin before he was a head coach, but I am aware of one quarterback that has actually stuck in the NFL between the two and that was the one that Gus had for exactly one year. The rest of the article was a pretty good read.

atekido

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 30, 2016, 03:08:48 am
Austin Allen has already won the starting job in the same way Luck had won the heisman this time 2011. Odds on favorite? Yes. Favorite to win for good reason? Yes. However, he never won the heisman. A lesser known qb from Baylor won it.

Oh you mean that same lesser QB who... wait for it... was lesser, inferior, a drama queen, nothing without his legs, a shell of himself and most likely isn't going to amount to anything in the NFL.  vs Luck who is considered a top tier NFL QB...?  I guess AA is going to wind up being really good.

MuskogeeHogFan

I don't think that there is any question that at this point, the job is AA's to lose by virtue of the fact that he is the only QB who has seen any game time and his seniority in terms of having been a part of the program longer than any other QB that we have. But, these two things alone, don't necessarily guarantee him the starting job. He has to prove that he is going to perform better in meetings, film study and on the field, just like the others. That said, I fully expect AA to be the starter in the Fall based off of everything that we have heard and read so far with regard to the pecking order mentioned by Enos. But things can change.
Go Hogs Go!

hobhog

Amazing how so many people can read the exact same article and come away with different reads. My read was he was complimentary of all of them, but AA is currently the man.

Things can change in 5 months. We don't have to pick a starter now do we?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacons Rebellion

The nice thing is that if anyone else beats out Allen in fall camp, it probably won't be because we are desperately searching for a quarterback that can run the team (1996, 2001, 2005, 2006).

onebadrubi

Looks like Enos took everyting needed to make a great QB and broke it down to spread across 4 QB's giving each one one of the great attributes.  Hmmm..

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 30, 2016, 10:01:17 am
Looks like Enos took everyting needed to make a great QB and broke it down to spread across 4 QB's giving each one one of the great attributes.  Hmmm..

The simplest answer could be just that all 4 of them are exactly as described. Each having an advantage over some of the others in some way which means there is no clear cut guy. If that's the case, they will do what coaches do, and go with the guy least likely to get them beat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2016, 10:13:21 am
The simplest answer could be just that all 4 of them are exactly as described. Each having an advantage over some of the others in some way which means there is no clear cut guy. If that's the case, they will do what coaches do, and go with the guy least likely to get them beat.

I hope our players and coaches have a little more competitive spirit than you do.

ricepig

Y'all do know that Enos did the rankings and critiques?

DiamondHogFan

I'm just glad that if whoever our starter is happens to go down...we have very competent backups.  We won't have to have a superman playing with a separated shoulder and injured leg trying to limp it out just because the next guy up isn't capable.  Not sure how the reps are split up right now, but all 4 of these guys are practicing like they are the starter (at least I hope they are or they won't ever be the starter). 

We are in good hands with CBB and CDE.  Our WR group will make any of the QBs look better than they probably are due to the depth and experience we have on the outside.  That is HUGE for a new QB. 

I realize this is a thread about what CDE sees in each QB currently, but I'm more concerned with the protection our QB will have.  We need our O-Line to step up and give the young QB confidence that he will have time to do what he needs to do.

Tyro3

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on March 30, 2016, 10:24:59 am
I'm just glad that if whoever our starter is happens to go down...we have very competent backups.  We won't have to have a superman playing with a separated shoulder and injured leg trying to limp it out just because the next guy up isn't capable.  Not sure how the reps are split up right now, but all 4 of these guys are practicing like they are the starter (at least I hope they are or they won't ever be the starter). 

We are in good hands with CBB and CDE.  Our WR group will make any of the QBs look better than they probably are due to the depth and experience we have on the outside.  That is HUGE for a new QB. 

I realize this is a thread about what CDE sees in each QB currently, but I'm more concerned with the protection our QB will have.  We need our O-Line to step up and give the young QB confidence that he will have time to do what he needs to do.

Amen to the protection, if your running for your life, not many good things are going to happen.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 30, 2016, 10:15:34 am
I hope our players and coaches have a little more competitive spirit than you do.

So you don't think that is what most coaches do when faced with a qb battle with no clear cut #1 guy?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2016, 10:28:50 am
So you don't think that is what most coaches do when faced with a qb battle with no clear cut #1 guy?

I think they put the guy out there who gives them the best chance to win the game. Not put the guy out there who is "least likely to get them beat."

A: "Well, we'll throw ____ out there because he gives us the best chance to go out and win the damn thing."
B:" Well, we'll throw ____ out there because he's the one who is least likely to get us beat."

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2016, 10:28:50 am
No, that's what coaches do when they are drawing up prevent defenses.

fishes2000

If it's third and twelve and the pocket breaks down which one give us the best chance at scrambling for the first? I know Peavey has good wheels what about the others?

PorkRinds

Quote from: fishes2000 on March 30, 2016, 10:55:08 am
If it's third and twelve and the pocket breaks down which one give us the best chance at scrambling for the first? I know Peavey has good wheels what about the others?

If it's third and 12, I want the guy that can make a pass happen.  A 12 yard scramble for the first is unlikely.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2016, 11:02:08 am
If it's third and 12, I want the guy that can make a pass happen.  A 12 yard scramble for the first is unlikely.
Exactly!  Why can't people see this?  Even the best running QB's don't convert 3rd and 12 with their legs as often as a good passing QB converts it.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

I  want the one who won't fumble or throw a pick.

fishes2000

I want the guy that can complete the pass also, but we all know there are times the qb must run. I want someone that can do both when needed. So I guess my question is when he must run who is the better of the four? It's been awhile since any of them have taken a hit. Hope they don't fumble when it happens.

DiamondHogFan

I want the guy that keeps us away from 3rd and 12s.....

jgphillips3

The order in which he spoke of them was inverse based on seniority, not necessarily a ranking but in fairness, Town is still too green to be ranked ahead of Storey or Peavey...yet.  The most interesting thing to me is that Storey may be a gamer.  I like that.  That's what BA was missing until mid year last year.  Should be an interesting Spring and a much more interesting Fall camp to see the separation take place.

hawganatic

The goal is to stay out of 3rd and 12.  Who gives us the best chance of managing 1st down and making a play on 2nd down?

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 30, 2016, 10:31:13 am
I think they put the guy out there who gives them the best chance to win the game. Not put the guy out there who is "least likely to get them beat."

A: "Well, we'll throw ____ out there because he gives us the best chance to go out and win the damn thing."
B:" Well, we'll throw ____ out there because he's the one who is least likely to get us beat."

A: He has a great arm and can make all the throws. He has several fourth quarter comebacks. However, he trusts his arm too much and throws way too many picks. Often times the only reason we are in the position of having to stage a comeback is because of the interceptions in the first place.

B: He can make most of the throws, but not all of them. Because he knows that his arm is limited, he works harder to understand the defense and be able to read it while also working harder on the timing with the receivers so that he can throw it before they are even open, which helps alleviate the problems of the slower ball velocity. He therefore rarely throws interceptions, and will throw the ball away or take the sack rather than attempting a dangerous throw or fumble the ball.

If you have a team that can win without your qb having to force the ball, then typically qb B is the way to go. Methodical, nickel and dime the defense, let the playmakers elsewhere do the heavy lifting. QB A will get you a jaw dropping 45 yard pass one play and then an interception the next. Obviously, the ideal is a qb who can both win you games and not lose you games.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

fishes2000

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on March 30, 2016, 11:22:52 am
I want the guy that keeps us away from 3rd and 12s.....
I agree I want the qb that keeps us out of 3 and 12 but its not always on the qb that puts us there. We are going to replace 3 out of 5 on line. Can't have penalties at important times in game with  new people. That is why I want to know what qb can run for his life if needed to get us out of bad plays because receivers haven't had time to run their routes.

Supermark101

Rafe Peavey

I still say he ends up at TE, WR, or transfers. I don't think he starts over Allen, and the other will be close or better for the back up. He is too good an athlete to keep off the field. That's my opinion

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: fishes2000 on March 30, 2016, 06:03:01 pm
I agree I want the qb that keeps us out of 3 and 12 but its not always on the qb that puts us there. We are going to replace 3 out of 5 on line. Can't have penalties at important times in game with  new people. That is why I want to know what qb can run for his life if needed to get us out of bad plays because receivers haven't had time to run their routes.
We may very well see different QBs in different situations.  Piece from the linked article...

"And while he pointed out that he won't go with quarterback-by-committee, he did say that "if one guy does something really well and another guy can't do it, I'm not afraid to work something out in those regards.""

We will have the best option on the field, whoever that may be.  I'm excited...this is a good problem to have.  It may not seem so immediately, but we are deep with what seem to be (based on how they were recruited) 4 SEC caliber QBs.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hobhog on March 30, 2016, 08:09:38 am
Amazing how so many people can read the exact same article and come away with different reads. My read was he was complimentary of all of them, but AA is currently the man.

Things can change in 5 months. We don't have to pick a starter now do we?

My impression was that he was highlighting their strengths and to an extent indicating their deficiencies which with respect to Allen indicated that while their may be some areas where another one of our guys might be stronger, Allen has the most complete total package of skill (i.e. the one whose weak spots are less glaring) at this time.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 30, 2016, 11:08:33 am
Exactly!  Why can't people see this?  Even the best running QB's don't convert 3rd and 12 with their legs as often as a good passing QB converts it.

Unless it was our defense on the field and the offense was Ole Miss.  ;D

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 30, 2016, 10:15:34 am

Hogsanity is 120% exactly right. Expecting an inexperienced quarterback to beat an SEC defense is a recipe for disaster. Throw him out there and ask him to win the ball game for you is ridiculous. If he can, great. Otherwise, run the offense and don't get us beat.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on March 30, 2016, 09:02:38 pm
We may very well see different QBs in different situations.  Piece from the linked article...

"And while he pointed out that he won't go with quarterback-by-committee, he did say that "if one guy does something really well and another guy can't do it, I'm not afraid to work something out in those regards.""

We will have the best option on the field, whoever that may be.  I'm excited...this is a good problem to have.  It may not seem so immediately, but we are deep with what seem to be (based on how they were recruited) 4 SEC caliber QBs.

The only problem with that is that if one QB is the better situational passer and another is a better situational runner, if you trot them out in those particular situations of need on a regular basis, you telegraph your tendency to the defense. I believe that our coaching staff is too experienced and intelligent to allow this to happen.
Go Hogs Go!

Iwastherein1969

...And the "band plays on..."   Hog fans bitchin' and moanin' about have 4, maybe 5 QB's in a competition...all of them 4 stars...all of them bringing something special to the mix...wow, 'we bitsch when it rains, and bitsch when it doesn't'    Ya gotta love it !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.