Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB Mentions TJ Smith

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 29, 2016, 05:47:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

Just in case some people were unaware of this young man. He will be a redshirt freshman this season. He definitely looks like a SEC DL. Arkansas's official roster shows him at 6'3 284 lbs.

http://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Smith-43426?PlayerInstitution=134587

Senior highlights
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4064150/highlights/180281386

Arkansas is starting to work on the 16-17 roster as well. http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/?season=2016-17

FANONTHEHILL

I'm hoping for big things from TJ.  Great athlete, great player, but also one of the finest young men on the team.  TJ has a great future ahead of him.  He and my son spent a lot of time hitting each other in the development practices last fall.  FYI, if you're looking for him this spring, he has switched from #54 and will be wearing #52 this year.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SDZ_Hog

didn't he say Agim has put on 10 to 15 pounds as well?  285.  Our DL should be nasty if our back 7 can give them time

Hog Fan from Camden

Is he a DE or DT?  Looks like a Alabama DT!

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ThisTeetsTaken

That's a grown man right there!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Paul

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Paul on March 29, 2016, 12:44:41 pm
former Vandy commit?

Yes.  Was really hoping that him being here would clinch the signing of Pollard, but no luck. Hopefully Smith blows up here.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

trashcan maN

Uncommon young man. Very intelligent and mature. Will be a good leader for years to come on that defense IMO

bennyl08

I think he will be one of our best DL players. His HS tape IMO was by far the best of his class, especially when you factor in that unlike many other guys, he isn't learning to play with 30-50 pounds more mass on him in college than he did in HS. He looked as explosive as much smaller players and as strong as bigger guys.

Smith, Bell, Agim, Wise Jr, and Beanum among a host of other DL players? Sounds good to me.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

swinesation

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2016, 06:48:24 pm
unlike many other guys, he isn't learning to play with 30-50 pounds more mass on him in college than he did in HS. 

Um, has gained 34 pounds since getting here?

bennyl08

Quote from: swinesation on March 29, 2016, 07:01:12 pm
Um, has gained 34 pounds since getting here?

He weighs 310+ pounds now? He was listed as 281 on signing day last year before being listed at 265 in the spring media guide. That is where I'm getting my info from. Even most of the recruiting sites had him in the mid 260's, though I think Scout listed him only at 250 which would get one to 34 pounds of gained weight.

Especially at HS, weights listed are dubious at best. For example, Stewart was listed at 190 coming out of HS but dropped down to the low 160's on the official rosters at the uni. I highly doubt they told him to drop 30 pounds, but instead, his weight was likely inflated. Though, 190 is, based on what you see at the NFL, probably the weight he should strive to get to otherwise he is going to have trouble vs NFL corners.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse