Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PC today

Started by ricepig, March 28, 2016, 03:26:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 29, 2016, 02:46:14 pm
Exactly. CBB even said as much that these two brothers are night and day different.

Looked alike here.   ;D

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/714861727523844096

BRHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2016, 10:32:05 am
He did, listen to the PC.

Sorry have only been able to read tweet caps.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on March 29, 2016, 09:19:09 am
I just can't get excited about Austin Allen as the starting QB. I don't have a preference, so it's not bias, I just don't think "yeehaw another Allen at QB"

We would be sitting pretty if Austin Allen was a clone of Brandon Allen and the only difference was that Austin didn't get thrown to the wolves too early....Brandon's issues were not talent, but rather confidence, and you can see the moment that changed last year and he ended up with the highest QBR in the nation.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: dhizzle on March 29, 2016, 09:11:37 am
It really does suck that Josh Allen might be gone. We need all the quality depth we can get on the oline. I think he is only a sophomore.

WILL be a Soph, according to the Arkansas Razorbacks Roster page.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

He seems to be a young, talented football player.
I hope he gets it together for everyone's sake.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: a0ashle on March 29, 2016, 03:20:14 pm
We would be sitting pretty if Austin Allen was a clone of Brandon Allen and the only difference was that Austin didn't get thrown to the wolves too early....Brandon's issues were not talent, but rather confidence, and you can see the moment that changed last year and he ended up with the highest QBR in the nation.

Confidence can be a female dog for a QB.

I heard Bill Polian interviewed about three to four years ago.
He was asked if there was a QB that should have been a big time QB that didn't make it not due to his own fault.
He said that David Carr had a bright future and should have had a long, productive career.
Instead, he was thrown to the wolves and beat to hell.  His confidence eventually broke.

He said that if he could go to the right team that would ease him back,  he might still have time for a late career, but it would take work now.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bennyl08

I watched the PC a second time and took some notes this time around. Some interesting tid-bits not already discussed

DL: Defensive scheme change: Sounds to me like they are wanting to go back to the 2014 style defense with an attacking DL rather than the run stopping DL we used this past season. Namely, I am getting this from the part about trying Ledbetter out at the DT position to create more explosive plays along the DL like we saw with philon and how we missed that this season. Graham is now permanently at DE.

Seemed to get some years mixed up calling TJ Smith a true freshmen (he redshirted this past season) and Cole Kelley a RS freshmen (who literally just signed with us a couple months ago). Eh, I lied about some of the tidbits being interesting, just thought it funny some of the mishaps he had.

LB: Ramsey at sam and will, Greenlaw at will, Ellis at Mike. Hackett is really buying in and Eugene has been good in special teams and is looking to compete at LB more this year. Expects some of the true freshmen to be playing.

Secondary: Most competition for the upcoming season in this group. Toliver has made a big jump (and in my own personal opinion, could be a very good starter on the outside should Dean or Collins go down). As for some people worrying about corner depth, it sounds like we mostly have defensive backs rather than guys specialized for corner or safety. For example, Miller and Dalton were actually moved from the corner position to safety while Sykes was moved from safety to corner and Kevin Richardson could be a starter for us at any of the 4 main positions. Now, IMO, I think Dalton will be best at cb from the HS tape, but I don't actually know enough to get paid.

OL: So, a lot of people were very particular about some criticisms of projected two deeps, especially on the OL and at LT. Since Gibson was officially listed as the backup LT, for them, he should be the presumptive starter there, nevermind Wallace actually was the guy who came in when Kirkland suffered the injury. Now we have Wallace and Colton duking it out for the LT spot contrary the experts here, while Gibson is talked about as a RG or backup RT. Namely, he is a talented walk-on and gives us good depth and pushes the schollies during spring, but come fall and game time, his odds of seeing the field diminish. Merrick had been looked at as a tackle, but right now is the primary backup at either guard spot.

TE: Have some maturity issues to work out with some of the guys as already mentioned. Not talked about is how Bielema was proud of Sprinkle for not having any hiccups so far this spring. Gragg is about the same weight as before, but in much better shape and it is better weight. Gragg previously needed the coaches to hold his hand in telling him what to do, but they are hoping he progresses this spring.

WR: No off-field concerns this season which has been different from past seasons. Perhaps reading too much into this, but anyone notice how he mentioned Reed last among the WR's? Mentioned the main guys, then the RS freshmen, then was like, oh yeah, and Reed. Also, mentioned how Reed had gained about 8 pounds which should help him last longer. However, spring roster has him listed at 175 while last fall he was listed 180. Maybe he dropped down to 167 during the course of the season though. Weights are dynamic, not static. Similar how he would brag about JWill getting up to 225 during the spring when he was already listed at that weight during the fall and even his whole career basically. Morgan is a guy who excels under pressure, and developed the chemistry with Brandon as the guy you go to in pressure situations.

RB: Duwop with a great attitude playing RB. Walker for the first time being asked to be THE man at rb. Supposedly down to 243 but was added to the new roster just days ago listed at 251... Goal is to get him down to 240 or less. Really looking at Duwop, Evans, and Day (in that order). Walker's spring load will in part depend on his conditioning and how much he is ready for.

QB: I get the opinion that coach isn't a big fan of Austin's personality. This is likely just me reading into things to much, but in the press conferences on multiple occasions, it sounds more like he is trying to convince himself that Austin can be a leader. What I mean is that, he never goes out and just says that Austin is a good leader. It is always some sort of conditional statement, sort of a, well he isn't what I'm used to, but, he does have this or that. Enough speculation and trying to read minds though. What he did say about Austin is that he is fiesty, competitive, and a gym rat as traits that make him different from Brandon.

ST: Toby baker is the #1 punter. "we'll see what we can do with Blake Johnson." For kicker, we've got 3 guys and will put them under daily pressure for the 2 spots we have available in the fall. Sprinkle will probably still play on special teams.

Misc: Has a few guys on the OL and DL who could switch sides he thinks depending on how they progress this spring. How much we use an 11 or a 12 personnel grouping depends largely on what Sprinkle is able to handle. This was made in the context of Sprinkle becoming a better blocker and in-line player. A great idea in the spring is the use of a psuedo-HUNH offense. Our offense will still huddle, but we will send at the defense an unrelenting wave of the different offensive strings allowing for greater qb reps during the qb battle. He didn't really go into specifics, but what I'm imagining is while Austin is running a play vs the defense, Peavey might be in the huddle with the 2's, so that by the time Austin's play is over, the two's will break the huddle and run up to the line. This allows our defense to prepare against no-huddle offenses while still allowing our offense to huddle up.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2016, 08:18:05 pm
I watched the PC a second time and took some notes this time around. Some interesting tid-bits not already discussed

DL: Defensive scheme change: Sounds to me like they are wanting to go back to the 2014 style defense with an attacking DL rather than the run stopping DL we used this past season. Namely, I am getting this from the part about trying Ledbetter out at the DT position to create more explosive plays along the DL like we saw with philon and how we missed that this season. Graham is now permanently at DE.

Seemed to get some years mixed up calling TJ Smith a true freshmen (he redshirted this past season) and Cole Kelley a RS freshmen (who literally just signed with us a couple months ago). Eh, I lied about some of the tidbits being interesting, just thought it funny some of the mishaps he had.

LB: Ramsey at sam and will, Greenlaw at will, Ellis at Mike. Hackett is really buying in and Eugene has been good in special teams and is looking to compete at LB more this year. Expects some of the true freshmen to be playing.

Secondary: Most competition for the upcoming season in this group. Toliver has made a big jump (and in my own personal opinion, could be a very good starter on the outside should Dean or Collins go down). As for some people worrying about corner depth, it sounds like we mostly have defensive backs rather than guys specialized for corner or safety. For example, Miller and Dalton were actually moved from the corner position to safety while Sykes was moved from safety to corner and Kevin Richardson could be a starter for us at any of the 4 main positions. Now, IMO, I think Dalton will be best at cb from the HS tape, but I don't actually know enough to get paid.

OL: So, a lot of people were very particular about some criticisms of projected two deeps, especially on the OL and at LT. Since Gibson was officially listed as the backup LT, for them, he should be the presumptive starter there, nevermind Wallace actually was the guy who came in when Kirkland suffered the injury. Now we have Wallace and Colton duking it out for the LT spot contrary the experts here, while Gibson is talked about as a RG or backup RT. Namely, he is a talented walk-on and gives us good depth and pushes the schollies during spring, but come fall and game time, his odds of seeing the field diminish. Merrick had been looked at as a tackle, but right now is the primary backup at either guard spot.

TE: Have some maturity issues to work out with some of the guys as already mentioned. Not talked about is how Bielema was proud of Sprinkle for not having any hiccups so far this spring. Gragg is about the same weight as before, but in much better shape and it is better weight. Gragg previously needed the coaches to hold his hand in telling him what to do, but they are hoping he progresses this spring.

WR: No off-field concerns this season which has been different from past seasons. Perhaps reading too much into this, but anyone notice how he mentioned Reed last among the WR's? Mentioned the main guys, then the RS freshmen, then was like, oh yeah, and Reed. Also, mentioned how Reed had gained about 8 pounds which should help him last longer. However, spring roster has him listed at 175 while last fall he was listed 180. Maybe he dropped down to 167 during the course of the season though. Weights are dynamic, not static. Similar how he would brag about JWill getting up to 225 during the spring when he was already listed at that weight during the fall and even his whole career basically. Morgan is a guy who excels under pressure, and developed the chemistry with Brandon as the guy you go to in pressure situations.

RB: Duwop with a great attitude playing RB. Walker for the first time being asked to be THE man at rb. Supposedly down to 243 but was added to the new roster just days ago listed at 251... Goal is to get him down to 240 or less. Really looking at Duwop, Evans, and Day (in that order). Walker's spring load will in part depend on his conditioning and how much he is ready for.

QB: I get the opinion that coach isn't a big fan of Austin's personality. This is likely just me reading into things to much, but in the press conferences on multiple occasions, it sounds more like he is trying to convince himself that Austin can be a leader. What I mean is that, he never goes out and just says that Austin is a good leader. It is always some sort of conditional statement, sort of a, well he isn't what I'm used to, but, he does have this or that. Enough speculation and trying to read minds though. What he did say about Austin is that he is fiesty, competitive, and a gym rat as traits that make him different from Brandon.

ST: Toby baker is the #1 punter. "we'll see what we can do with Blake Johnson." For kicker, we've got 3 guys and will put them under daily pressure for the 2 spots we have available in the fall. Sprinkle will probably still play on special teams.

Misc: Has a few guys on the OL and DL who could switch sides he thinks depending on how they progress this spring. How much we use an 11 or a 12 personnel grouping depends largely on what Sprinkle is able to handle. This was made in the context of Sprinkle becoming a better blocker and in-line player. A great idea in the spring is the use of a psuedo-HUNH offense. Our offense will still huddle, but we will send at the defense an unrelenting wave of the different offensive strings allowing for greater qb reps during the qb battle. He didn't really go into specifics, but what I'm imagining is while Austin is running a play vs the defense, Peavey might be in the huddle with the 2's, so that by the time Austin's play is over, the two's will break the huddle and run up to the line. This allows our defense to prepare against no-huddle offenses while still allowing our offense to huddle up.

This modified HUNH business is curious.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DeshaHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 29, 2016, 09:53:37 pm

Sounds like it could be a real good way for the 2's/Rafe to get extra reps and the defense to be more accustomed to HUNH.  Especially since Rafe was labeled as more of a dual threat guy out of high school.  Sounds like a cool idea to me.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

RW III is still a stud!
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 29, 2016, 09:53:37 pm

Sounds like a complete win-win for us. Defense gets to practice against hurry up teams without sacrificing offensive preparation in the huddle. Further, greatly increases reps for the quarterbacks, increasing the competition between as they will all get more reps to impress.

That last part is important because in the interview, he notes that if one of the younger guys (Town or Storey) really impresses, then he wants to get them as many reps as possible. Now, that reads to me as being as many reps as possible within the context of the competition.

For example, making up numbers here, but let's say there are 120 reps total for qb's in a practice (there's a lot more this is closer to a scrimmage, but bear with me). In a perfectly even scrimmage, that would be 30 reps a piece. Not typically what you see happen. Would be more like 60 for Austin, 30 for Rafe, 20 for Ty, and 10 for Town under a normal depth chart scenario. With a battle going on, but with Austin the front-runner, maybe that looks more like 50, 30, 20, 20. Suddenly Storey looks really good with that 20, so next week it becomes 40 Austin, 40 Ty, 20 Rafe 20 Town. Then maybe Storey doesn't do as well going up against the better defense with more reps, so they go back.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2016, 11:26:10 pm
Sounds like a complete win-win for us. Defense gets to practice against hurry up teams without sacrificing offensive preparation in the huddle. Further, greatly increases reps for the quarterbacks, increasing the competition between as they will all get more reps to impress.

That last part is important because in the interview, he notes that if one of the younger guys (Town or Storey) really impresses, then he wants to get them as many reps as possible. Now, that reads to me as being as many reps as possible within the context of the competition.

For example, making up numbers here, but let's say there are 120 reps total for qb's in a practice (there's a lot more this is closer to a scrimmage, but bear with me). In a perfectly even scrimmage, that would be 30 reps a piece. Not typically what you see happen. Would be more like 60 for Austin, 30 for Rafe, 20 for Ty, and 10 for Town under a normal depth chart scenario. With a battle going on, but with Austin the front-runner, maybe that looks more like 50, 30, 20, 20. Suddenly Storey looks really good with that 20, so next week it becomes 40 Austin, 40 Ty, 20 Rafe 20 Town. Then maybe Storey doesn't do as well going up against the better defense with more reps, so they go back.

If it were just about reps then the coaches have seen plenty of Town as he ran the practice squad.

It is about reps with plays we are going to run that helps CBB and CDE know who the best QB is.

And you are correct CBB did say the hurry up plays will give them a better view of the QBs. So we must be preparing to run the hurry up this year! At the least have it in the playbook.

Maybe?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 30, 2016, 04:52:48 am
If it were just about reps then the coaches have seen plenty of Town as he ran the practice squad.

It is about reps with plays we are going to run that helps CBB and CDE know who the best QB is.

And you are correct CBB did say the hurry up plays will give them a better view of the QBs. So we must be preparing to run the hurry up this year! At the least have it in the playbook.

Maybe?  ;)
No.  Our "hurry up" will be the 2nd squad breaking the huddle and coming to the line as soon as the first squad runs a play.  Then, the first team with qb3 will do the same.  Then 2nd team/qb4.  Etc, etc.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 30, 2016, 05:15:26 am
No.  Our "hurry up" will be the 2nd squad breaking the huddle and coming to the line as soon as the first squad runs a play.  Then, the first team with qb3 will do the same.  Then 2nd team/qb4.  Etc, etc.

It's for the defense to adjust to a fast pace and get set and get their calls in. A benefit of it is, we get to run more offensive plays and more film for evaluation.

hogcard1964

What do we know about Britto Tutt?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2016, 07:39:58 am
What do we know about Britto Tutt?

Try the Recruiting Forum.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 30, 2016, 05:15:26 am

No no no! This cannot be true as there is no conspiracy with that simple explanation. We are going to run the HUNH and shock the world.  8)

KlubhouseKonnected

But what about the increased risk of injury to our defense you guys?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 30, 2016, 09:58:35 pm
But what about the increased risk of injury to our defense you guys?

I bet they're allowed to substitute.