Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for offensive linemen?? Weight vs lean.

Started by bythelake, March 24, 2016, 08:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

zebradynasty

I agree it's a balancing act between size, height and speed. We got some good trainers but every now and then they and the athlete miss the mark. IMO Kirkland got too big! 340 lbs was too much and he lost some footwork. 

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2016, 08:11:05 am
As soon as new official heights and weights are recorded and posted by the staff, we will have updated information to use in looking at these things. Until then, what else are we to use? Now as far as "fiction" goes, all of this information comes from legit sources like the NCAA and the University of Arkansas. If they reported inaccurate numbers, again, I'm not sure what we are supposed to do?

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what gains have been made by the team over the off season.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/?season=2016-17

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2016, 02:04:23 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/?season=2016-17

Thanks rice.  The 2016 Spring Prospectus should be released soon.

Also.... Coach Bielema has a press conference at 3 pm today.

Edit:  The roster is not complete.  Ellis, the entire offensive line etc. etc. are missing.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

wholehog92

As a Dlineman, my first job was to manipulate the O linemen's first step.  I could do that using my alignment, film study, and quickness.  Many times, the RBs would cause their tackles to get beat.  Set their feet a certain way for a running play.  Set their hands a certain way for a pass.  The WRs were often an easy read as well.  Those are presnap reads and cannot get you past your first step, but it is an equalizer if you do film study.

If I'm reading run pre snap run and that OT is huge, I'm lining up tight.  This forces the OT to make a more parallel step to get across my face or anything else and they are trying to get outside of me.  presnap pass read, I'll line up very wide to open up some space to expose the big man's feet and spatial awareness during the play.  Running it right at me took away my advantage and a bad presnap read I was dead in the water.  That's why the big men are preferred to the smaller more agile linemen.  I have the same advantage over a smaller guy, but the bigger guys wins in two of those situations. 
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2016, 02:23:32 pm
Thanks rice.  The 2016 Spring Prospectus should be released soon.

Also.... Coach Bielema has a press conference at 3 pm today.

Edit:  The roster is not complete.  Ellis, the entire offensive line etc. etc. are missing.

I noticed that as well. Kinda key, since that is what we are talking about here.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 28, 2016, 09:40:17 am
I'm surprised no one in here is talking about the weight limits they enforce on the service academy guys.  Since Football players started getting bigger, those schools can't compete as well.  On every single play, they've got a 250 lb guy in there chop blocking to give just enough time to let their running back get gang tackled at the line of scrimmage.

There was an interesting article recently about two Navy Linemen who had to drop major weight (at least one of two played at 285) to pass their academy physicals for graduation and active duty. I think at least one went from 285 to 215 in a very short period of time.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2016, 05:57:38 pm
I noticed that as well. Kinda key, since that is what we are talking about here.

You said you were "Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what gains have been made by the team over the off season". Pretty sure those guys are on the team, just not all of them, lol.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2016, 06:05:56 pm
There was an interesting article recently about two Navy Linemen who had to drop major weight (at least one of two played at 285) to pass their academy physicals for graduation and active duty. I think at least one went from 285 to 215 in a very short period of time.

You ever watch Sprint Football? It's not an official NCAA sport at this point, but fun too watch. Everyone on the field has to be under 165 lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Collegiate_Sprint_Football_League_champions

I'd like to see the sport grow.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on March 29, 2016, 09:12:23 am

You ever watch Sprint Football? It's not an official NCAA sport at this point, but fun too watch. Everyone on the field has to be under 165 lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Collegiate_Sprint_Football_League_champions

I like that.  I wonder if I could drop 35 lbs and play in it.  I never used any college eligibility up.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 29, 2016, 09:45:01 am
I like that.  I wonder if I could drop 35 lbs and play in it.  I never used any college eligibility up.

The NCAA isn't involved in Sprint football at all.

wholehog92

Everyone on the field has to be under 165 lbs.

I'm not sure you could field a team of men over 19 years old less than 165 lbs any more.  lol
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: wholehog92 on March 29, 2016, 10:37:16 am
I'm not sure you could field a team of men over 19 years old less than 165 lbs any more.  lol

Yep, it's not a coincidence that the military academies dominate Sprint Football

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not sure that many are going to embrace football where everyone has to weigh 165 or less. Maybe we can get Frisbee Teams sanctioned by the NCAA as a Team Sport?
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on March 29, 2016, 10:59:52 am
Yep, it's not a coincidence that the military academies dominate Sprint Football

I wouldn't qualify for that if I had 0% body fat...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BRHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2016, 05:25:43 pm
I'm not sure that many are going to embrace football where everyone has to weigh 165 or less. Maybe we can get Frisbee Teams sanctioned by the NCAA as a Team Sport?

I was planning to come back to you and say that most ultimate players are not under 165, but I just realized, I'm fat for most ultimate players.

Cinco de Hogo

Give me a few weeks training and I could qualify and at 58 look good doing it too.  Until they ask me to sprint! LOL

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2016, 05:25:43 pm

oh for sure, most football fans watch to see the big hits. I liken Sprint football to women's basketball, it's almost a purer sport, because the players rely on pure athletic ability rather than size and strength.

LogicHog45

Quote from: bythelake on March 24, 2016, 08:20:16 pm
Was a  quarterback in my playing days so don't understand the offensive line details:  I was really taken back about the amount of calories that they showed for Skipper on a game day tv presentation. 

Bottom line how does fat benefit an offensive lineman??  Yea I know about mass times velocity, but , but.

it's not necessarily a fat thing. I encourage everyone to look at other linemen in college football. Ours look like athletes not big fat guys running around. I do think that we got a little too heavy. It was obvious that the size we put on didn't make as big a difference as everyone thought. Was it beneficial? to an extent but like everything else in this world there is a happy medium that has to be identified.

FANONTHEHILL

April 04, 2016, 03:56:39 am #69 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:11:46 am by FANONTHEHILL
Here is who we have to choose from this spring.  Coach Anderson and Coach Enos will definitely be able to find a starting 5 and some depth from this group.
Kneeling:
L to R
#60 RSo Brian Wallace, #51 So Hjalte Froholdt, #72 Jr Frank Ragnow
Standing L to R
#64 RFr Klint Harvey, #73 JrTr Deion Malone, #70 Sr Dan Skipper, #74 RFr Colton Jackson, #75 So Zach Rogers, #79 RFr Jalen Merrick, # 71 RSo Jackson Hannah, #62 Jr Johnny Gibson, #61 RFr Cooper Sone

A wide variety of sizes and shapes.
Tallest: Skipper at 6'10"
Shortest: Rogers at 6'1"
Heaviest: Harvey at 330
Lightest: Sone at 280
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015