Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

King said O line the real story of the Spring.

Started by DeltaBoy, March 24, 2016, 09:13:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

March 24, 2016, 09:13:16 am Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:36:45 am by DeltaBoy
http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-finding-o-line-starters-key-during-spring-practice

I say I agree we got 3 new starters on a Oline that became more solid as the season went on.   They got to settle that online this Spring so we will be ahead of the sticks when the season starts.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

For some reason, that site won't link directly; take out the "*" from below, and it will take you to the story:

http://arkansas*news.com/harry-king/king-spring-football-action-not-qb-o-line

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Pretty good read.

His concerns about the OL reflect mine.
I'm putting a lot of faith in BB and Anderson.  BB has historically had good to great OLs, so that is comforting.

Replacing three starters is a tall order, and unless Froholdt is a mega stud, his being considered a starter so quickly makes me think there were some whiffs in recruiting.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

nwahogfan1

Good find.  Thanks.

OL will be a huge discussion point this summer for a much different reason than it was last year for sure.

But I think we have some good talent at OL on the roster but unfortunately with no experience.  I hope they can get ready by the first game because with a new QB and different RBs they need the time to get SEC ready.   

To win our early games we may depend much more on our Defense.  That is another huge question mark.

gmarv

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2016, 10:11:03 am
Pretty good read.

His concerns about the OL reflect mine.
I'm putting a lot of faith in BB and Anderson.  BB has historically had good to great OLs, so that is comforting.

Replacing three starters is a tall order, and unless Froholdt is a mega stud, his being considered a starter so quickly makes me think there were some whiffs in recruiting.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's more than "whiffs in recruiting." More like inadequate recruiting.

If Frank Ragnow ends up playing center, the spring roster only has three guards on it, because of the move of Josh Allen to defensive line.

Arkansas's 2012 recruiting class produced nothing. Sam Pittman did not bring in enough Olinemen in his recruiting classes, and he torpedoed the latest crop by leaving.

Arkansas will be fortunate to be able to put together a two-deep. The spring Oline won't be the final say on the starting five for next fall.

Two more new players will come in for the summer, and everybody will be working like mad to get ready to play. You'll only have -- at best -- 10 or 11 usable players next fall.

The problem is not the quality of the players on hand so much. Everyone's on a reasonable developmental curve. It hurt to have Kirkland up and leave too soon, foolishly soon. And the overall recruiting numbers have been too low, especially to make up for the zero from 2012.

This Oline roster has one senior. The junior class will include two juco transfers and one third-year junior. Players who would have gained from redshirting (Skipper, Ragnow) never got to redshirt.

My hope is that the new Oline coach can develop players like Wallace, Jackson, Merrick and Froholdt fast, get them into the right roles. Bielema has been telling folks that there was something not quite right about the run blocking approach that Pittman taught + that Anderson is going to fix that. Pittman was more successful with pass protection.

Arkansas found ways to succeed in the running game, but the Hogs were ineffective with some plays/sets where they couldn't get the blocking right + had to omit them from game plans. If all goes as intended, the run game will look quite a bit different this season.
[CENSORED]!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2016, 11:39:52 am

If Frank Ragnow ends up playing center, the spring roster only has three guards on it, because of the move of Josh Allen to defensive line.

Arkansas's 2012 recruiting class produced nothing. Sam Pittman did not bring in enough Olinemen in his recruiting classes, and he torpedoed the latest crop by leaving.

Arkansas will be fortunate to be able to put together a two-deep. The spring Oline won't be the final say on the starting five for next fall.

Two more new players will come in for the summer, and everybody will be working like mad to get ready to play. You'll only have -- at best -- 10 or 11 usable players next fall.

The problem is not the quality of the players on hand so much. Everyone's on a reasonable developmental curve. It hurt to have Kirkland up and leave too soon, foolishly soon. And the overall recruiting numbers have been too low, especially to make up for the zero from 2012.

This Oline roster has one senior. The junior class will include two juco transfers and one third-year junior. Players who would have gained from redshirting (Skipper, Ragnow) never got to redshirt.

My hope is that the new Oline coach can develop players like Wallace, Jackson, Merrick and Froholdt fast, get them into the right roles. Bielema has been telling folks that there was something not quite right about the run blocking approach that Pittman taught + that Anderson is going to fix that. Pittman was more successful with pass protection.

Arkansas found ways to succeed in the running game, but the Hogs were ineffective with some plays/sets where they couldn't get the blocking right + had to omit them from game plans. If all goes as intended, the run game will look quite a bit different this season.

Good, in-depth explanation.

I don't know if Allen can play up to his brother's level.
I'm not afraid he'll hurt us though because I have faith in Enos and the year two of OC continuity.

I'm certainly not afraid about our receivers.  They're probably the biggest strength of the team.

I'm not overly concerned with our running backs.  RW3 has been given a green light, KW is back, Whaley is supposed to be all-world, and Duwop and Hammonds are intriguing.

OL deeply concerns me alot.  It just seems we're thin,  and your narrative reinforces this.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

go hogues

I think he's right.

HOWEVER - RB is a bit of a paper tiger. We always lose at least one contributor here in the offseason/fall camp and even if we don't this year, there are still a LOT of questions in that group.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Cure

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2016, 11:39:52 amArkansas found ways to succeed in the running game, but the Hogs were ineffective with some plays/sets where they couldn't get the blocking right + had to omit them from game plans. If all goes as intended, the run game will look quite a bit different this season.
Fortunately, they had two backs that excellent vision and footwork to avoid getting hit at the LOS.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: go hogues on March 24, 2016, 12:20:00 pm
I think he's right.

HOWEVER - RB is a bit of a paper tiger. We always lose at least one contributor here in the offseason/fall camp and even if we don't this year, there are still a LOT of questions in that group.

Do you really think it's at risk?
Surely with the bodies we have there we can find two, with KW being the third.
That's not counting RW3 either.  I think he'll be one of those two.
I think he'll bounce back fine given some time, adrenaline, and some hits.

Whaley?  Duwop?   Hammonds?
His response to me:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2016, 12:30:52 pm

You will be happy to know that I agree with your assessment.  :P
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

Yep the 0 for OL in 2012 looks like it could bit us in the 6 this fall.  Kirkland leaving was a real blow.

bigdaddyhawg

Wow, based on what I'm reading in this thread I guess we'll be lucky to even win a game in conference this fall.

I didn't realize things were so dark.  I thought we had some talented kids to replace our losses.  I guess CBB was talking out his azz when he said we'd have an upgrade at 2 of the 3 positions.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 24, 2016, 02:24:14 pm
Wow, based on what I'm reading in this thread I guess we'll be lucky to even win a game in conference this fall.

I didn't realize things were so dark.  I thought we had some talented kids to replace our losses.  I guess CBB was talking out his azz when he said we'd have an upgrade at 2 of the 3 positions.

Maybe he was talking about Ragnow to center, and Skipper to LT, haha. I'm not freaked out about it, but I doubt they set the world on fire out of the gate. We need 8 serviceable guys, we'll plug and place like we were going to last season.

ChitownHawg

I agree there are some gloomy attitudes floating around here. Long may as well cancel the season.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hoggish1

The O-line will be lighter and more athletic.  Look for all of them to be able to lead the backs through holes, through multiple techniques that were not taught by SP. 

No more will our backs have to bide their time before the hole opened.  DW and RWII are much quicker backs than were accustomed to seeing and their skill sets will be complemented by the more nimble O-line that's being assembled.

Pittman will not be missed...

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 24, 2016, 03:05:01 pm
The O-line will be lighter and more athletic.  Look for all of them to be able to lead the backs through holes, through multiple techniques that were not taught by SP. 

No more will our backs have to bide their time before the hole opened.  DW and RWII are much quicker backs than were accustomed to seeing and their skill sets will be complemented by the more nimble O-line that's being assembled.

Pittman will not be missed...
I have been flabbergasted with the way our OL has played, particularly in short yardage run situations. I think we could be looking at a solid improvement in coaching. And coaching goes a long way.
Yeah we be thin and can't afford to have people breaking their foot and we'll likely see some really dumb plays.

lumphog

O-LINE PRIDE ......... I'll just leave this here

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

March 24, 2016, 08:16:45 pm #21 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:29:28 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

I know this is about the O-Line, but just look at this attrition from the 2010 and 2012 classes that might have helped Bielema when he arrived in 2013.

2012 Class-23 signees
Attrition: 52.2%
Vin Ascolese-LB-Never made it to campus
Ray Buchanon, Jr-DB transfer to N. Iowa
Cordale Boyd-OL-Never fulfilled expectations
Austin Flynn-DE-UDFA Oakland
Will Hines-DB transfer to SE Louisiana
Nathan Holmes-RB transfer to McNeese State
DeFonta Lowe-DB transfer
Mekale McKay-WR transfer to Cincinatti
Otha Peters-LB transfer to LA Lafayette
Donovan Roberts-RB transfer to Univ of Central Oklahoma
A.J. Turner-LB transfer to Arkansas St.
Jeremy Ward-OT quit football due to injuries

2010 Class-26 signees
Attrition: 42.3%
Calvin Barnett-DL never made it to campus
Jatashun Beachum-Never fulfilled expectations
LaCraig Brown-DT never made it to campus
Cam Feldt-OG transfer to North Texas
Courtney Gaston-LB never made it to campus
Brad Hefley-TE transfer to Fort Scott CC
Maudrecus Humphrey-WR Dismissed and landed at UAB
Jeremiah Jackson-DT-?
Denton Simek-OL-transfer to Univ of Central Oklahoma
Marquel Wade-WR-Dismissed, transferred to Butler Comm College
Jacoby Walker-QB-Transfer to Central Arkansas

By the way, that is 23 gone from two classes of 49 signees. That kind of attrition can damage a program. the 2010 class would have at least been here through 2013, the 2012 class at least through 2015, but every school experiences some level of attrition. This attrition seems to have been particularly damaging.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2016, 12:30:52 pm

Walker has never shown that he can be an every down back. He gets tough yards but he's not exactly a homerun threat on any given touch of the ball, ala Williams/Collins/Knile/DMac/Felix
RW3, he's good to go physically but what about mentally?
Juan Day has torn both ACL's in the last three years.
Denzell Evans has never seen the field, even when it seemed like we were losing guys left and right last year.
Duwop is fast and can be utilized in jet sweeps but it's not like he'll be an every down back either.
Devwah Whaley will be a true freshman. He may show some flashes but how much should we realistically expect out of him?
Hammonds ^ Ditto.

They have tons of potential, I'm just saying that there are pretty glaring questions with each of them that we have not had to answer about our RB corps in what seems like forever. Frankly, we've been spoiled.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: go hogues on March 24, 2016, 09:01:58 pm
Walker has never shown that he can be an every down back. He gets tough yards but he's not exactly a homerun threat on any given touch of the ball, ala Williams/Collins/Knile/DMac/Felix
Denzell Evans has never seen the field, even when it seemed like we were losing guys left and right last year.
Duwop is fast and can be utilized in jet sweeps but it's not like he'll be an every down back either.
Devwah Whaley will be a true freshman. He may show some flashes but how much should we realistically expect out of him?
Hammonds ^ Ditto.

They have tons of potential, I'm just saying that there are pretty glaring questions with each of them that we have not had to answer about our RB corps in what seems like forever. Frankly, we've been spoiled.

That's why we're Running Back U.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84311/position-u-running-backs
His response to me:

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: go hogues on March 24, 2016, 09:01:58 pm
Hammonds ^ Ditto.

Evans did see mop up duty last fall against over last non conference opponent. So did Juan Day.  Day's work ethic will pay off hopefully.

Dumb ole famrboy

I am not too concerned about the OL. While inexperienced the talent is there and they have a fairly solid DL to work against during spring and summer practices.

DeltaBoy

Can't wait to see how the Oline turns out.

nwahogfan1

We will see how we run and protect in the spring especially when the ones go against each other.  I don't expect the RBs going through spring to be home run threats so added to the inexperience at OL hopefully they can make the 1st guy miss and go get 3+ yards.   Then add a new QB with that mostly inexperiencd OL.  Will AA have enough time to digest who to throw the ball to before being chased out of the pocket.

If the DLM does not dominate especially early in the spring then we have a Defense issue.

Kamkaizen

I just hope our new OL coach can teach the group to be pretty good at both pass protection and run blocking.  I've only seen good comments about his ability to teach run blocking - not much on pass protection. 

Kevin

Hope he can teach them how to block slanting d lineman. ThaT seemed to be a Problem last year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2016, 09:55:04 am
Hope he can teach them how to block slanting d lineman. ThaT seemed to be a Problem last year

Not a lot you can do except keep them going that direction, it does allow for cutbacks by your RB, hopefully into wide open space.

The real Hogules

I'll have to admit to be somewhat concerned with Dan Skipper being responsible for protecting our QB's blind side. Big Dan was beaten easily on several passing plays last Fall by a defender with good speed and a decent set of hands.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 27, 2016, 05:15:07 pm
I'll have to admit to be somewhat concerned with Dan Skipper being responsible for protecting our QB's blind side. Big Dan was beaten easily on several passing plays last Fall by a defender with good speed and a decent set of hands.

Harry was mistaken in writing that Skipper would move back to left tackle. He just got confused and made a mistake.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 27, 2016, 07:22:37 pm
Harry was mistaken in writing that Skipper would move back to left tackle. He just got confused and made a mistake.

He's old, it's excusable......

onebadrubi

While I see what you are doing by yor remarks, it's common knowledge around here we definitely are 1-2 talented lineman the last 2 recruiting classes from where we needed to be.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 27, 2016, 07:44:37 pm
While I see what you are doing by yor remarks, it's common knowledge around here we definitely are 1-2 talented lineman the last 2 recruiting classes from where we needed to be.

Our depth hasn't been there, and with depth comes competition and with competition comes better effort in practice and games. I'm not saying guys were not giving 100%, but having real competition in practice brings out the best. We're still down in our depth, but we should have some battles.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 27, 2016, 07:44:37 pm

So that means we're going to have a bad OL?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

lefty08

Froholdt's move to the offensive line says a lot about his skill set too. He wouldn't have played much on defense this year, and with thinner numbers, why not try him out at O line?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

DeltaBoy

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

North hog

I think B Wallace will be pretty darn good.  Herbert mentioned more than once this guy has really taken to conditioning, plus he has waited to get a a shot at the starting position ( he always had a shot, but you know what I mean).  He lacks the experience factor to be sure, but so will everyone else...He certainly has the physical tools at 6-6 300+..